Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   nDMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Tell a story (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=180027)

thatgirl224 10-26-2006 12:59 PM

Tell a story

Ok...I really enjoy reading funny little stories that other people tell, and I really enjoy telling my own stories. I have hundreds of stories of things that have happened to me, be it funny, or sad, or interesting...and I want to hear yours!

So tell your stories! What's the point of having great stories if no one hears them?

alphatabs 10-26-2006 01:00 PM

Re: Tell a story

I'm no good at telling stories. :o I'll choke, but I'd love to hear some others.

DmBand801 10-26-2006 01:05 PM

this one time at band camp....we played this game, i don't know if you know it, but its called spin the bottle....

thatgirl224 10-26-2006 01:09 PM

Ok I'll start..hehe.

My family home has a huge backyard. Our fence boarders 4 other homes on the street behind us. One of these houses belongs to my old high school english teacher .
He HATES sunflowers. I love sunflowers. My dad and I planted a sunflower garden near the maple tree in our backyard by the fence gate that leads to the park. This garden is right by his side of the fence.

Each year, we plant sunflowers, and each year he would tease me in class about them.
"Those damned sunflowers! I look out my back window and all I see are dozens of sunflowers looking back at me over that there fence of yours! One of these days you will go to tend to your garden, and it won't be there!"

We always get a laugh out of it. It wasn't a vicious threat, he is a good neighbour, and we all get along very well.
The year I graduated, he knew I wouldn't be tending to the sunflowers anymore. So one day I went to tend to the flowers, only to find all the flower heads were gone! The stems were still there, but the flower heads were gone!
I looked up, and I saw all the heads of the sunflowers hanging from my maple tree. I looked over the fence, and there was my neighbour lounging in a chair in his yard, with a big smirk on his face.
He never admitted to it, but it's pretty obvious that it was him. I always get such a kick out of that.

A couple weeks ago I went home for Canadian Thanksgiving, and my niece was playing in the garden. She is only 8, so she doesn't know about the sunflower feud.
She came running up to the back deck with a sunflower head. It was all dried up by the sun, and the seeds were ready for eating. She walked around and offered everyone a sunflower seed. We all started laughing histerically at this, and the poor little thing had no idea why.

fsankh 10-26-2006 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatgirl224 (Post 5193380)
Ok...I really enjoy reading funny little stories that other people tell, and I really enjoy telling my own stories. I have hundreds of stories of things that have happened to me, be it funny, or sad, or interesting...and I want to hear yours!

So tell your stories! What's the point of having great stories if no one hears them?

Have you read my fish story in the Post a Picture thread? I think it is pretty interesting. Let me know and I will copy and paste it over here.

Either way, I will definitely be up for sharing some stories in the near future.

thatgirl224 10-26-2006 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsankh (Post 5193453)
Have you read my fish story in the Post a Picture thread? I think it is pretty interesting. Let me know and I will copy and paste it over here.

Either way, I will definitely be up for sharing some stories in the near future.

No I haven't! Post it over here...I would love to read it

TempHelpNeeded 10-26-2006 01:13 PM

Give Tabs a theme and it's always golden. Golden Joe that is.

fsankh 10-26-2006 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatgirl224 (Post 5193462)
No I haven't! Post it over here...I would love to read it

Here Goes:

This is one of the few pictures I have of myself due to the fact that I strongly believe the saying that 'Pictures steal from the Soul'. I had to take this one and I hope you understand after reading my story.

Please allow me to share the story behind this picture. I hope you enjoy it.

This picture was taken after I caught this fish, which was the biggest fish of the boat and of the dock for that day. Obviously, I was very proud of the catch and not for the reason you may have automatically jump to, but for the 'fish tale' I'm about to share with you.

My best friend, Josh, chartered the boat, which his brother Nick was the 'captain of the ship'. T.J. was the first hand (I remember this because this day was beyond special - it was spiritual.) Others on-hand included Josh's father, Charlie, Josh's new father-in-law, Angel, and Josh's new brother-in-law, Sam. Josh was recently married to Cassie Gonzalez - I was the best man, and everyone was on a huge high from the wedding and reception {If I may add, the Best Wedding that I have ever been to, By Far! - Near Perfect - and Everyone Said So}. Well, I have always said that when Josh & Cassie were married I felt as if I had Truly married into the Gonzalez family, as well!

As we set sail that day, everyone, including the women who stayed behind to shop and prepare a big shindig for us all, teased me about never having gone fishing. Anyways, before we left the bay, we had to catch our live bait, which I guess is customary with deep-sea fishing [I had no idea!]. So when I caught my first minnow, you would have thought I had caught Moby Dick due to my reaction and excitement. Rest assured, all the men squashed my excitement in a very humbling way. Once we had caught enough live bait, we started to head out to the gulf [The Gulf of Mexico - we were approx. 30 miles south of Pensacola Beach]. During the ride out, I kept my eyes out on the vanishing shoreline. Since this was my very first time out on open water, my amazement could not have been described. I was in Total Awe the whole way out. The serenity of the water engulfed the whole mood.

Let me continue on. We found our spot about 30 miles out and started fishing, sharing life stories over deli sandwiches and drinks and completely enjoying each other's presence. To cut this story short, I caught this fish with the help of T.J. As you can see by the picture, I was extremely stoked. More importantly, what makes this moment in time so spiritual is that I had felt my Grandfather's presence with me the whole entire day because he had ALWAYS asked me to go fishing with him when I was younger and before he had passed away. Painfully, I can say that I Truly hate missing that opportunity to bond with him. So during my reeling (double meaning) of catching this fish, I dedicated the catch to him and Thanked him for always being with me, especially during that day. In Conclusion, I hope you enjoyed this significant moment of my Life and realized how important bonding is on any level, especially with family and loved ones.

Fellow Antz - Carpe Diem!!!

thatgirl224 10-26-2006 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsankh (Post 5193484)
Here Goes:

This is one of the few pictures I have of myself due to the fact that I strongly believe the saying that 'Pictures steal from the Soul'. I had to take this one and I hope you understand after reading my story.

Please allow me to share the story behind this picture. I hope you enjoy it.

This picture was taken after I caught this fish, which was the biggest fish of the boat and of the dock for that day. Obviously, I was very proud of the catch and not for the reason you may have automatically jump to, but for the 'fish tale' I'm about to share with you.

My best friend, Josh, chartered the boat, which his brother Nick was the 'captain of the ship'. T.J. was the first hand (I remember this because this day was beyond special - it was spiritual.) Others on-hand included Josh's father, Charlie, Josh's new father-in-law, Angel, and Josh's new brother-in-law, Sam. Josh was recently married to Cassie Gonzalez - I was the best man, and everyone was on a huge high from the wedding and reception {If I may add, the Best Wedding that I have ever been to, By Far! - Near Perfect - and Everyone Said So}. Well, I have always said that when Josh & Cassie were married I felt as if I had Truly married into the Gonzalez family, as well!

As we set sail that day, everyone, including the women who stayed behind to shop and prepare a big shindig for us all, teased me about never having gone fishing. Anyways, before we left the bay, we had to catch our live bait, which I guess is customary with deep-sea fishing [I had no idea!]. So when I caught my first minnow, you would have thought I had caught Moby Dick due to my reaction and excitement. Rest assured, all the men squashed my excitement in a very humbling way. Once we had caught enough live bait, we started to head out to the gulf [The Gulf of Mexico - we were approx. 30 miles south of Pensacola Beach]. During the ride out, I kept my eyes out on the vanishing shoreline. Since this was my very first time out on open water, my amazement could not have been described. I was in Total Awe the whole way out. The serenity of the water engulfed the whole mood.

Let me continue on. We found our spot about 30 miles out and started fishing, sharing life stories over deli sandwiches and drinks and completely enjoying each other's presence. To cut this story short, I caught this fish with the help of T.J. As you can see by the picture, I was extremely stoked. More importantly, what makes this moment in time so spiritual is that I had felt my Grandfather's presence with me the whole entire day because he had ALWAYS asked me to go fishing with him when I was younger and before he had passed away. Painfully, I can say that I Truly hate missing that opportunity to bond with him. So during my reeling (double meaning) of catching this fish, I dedicated the catch to him and Thanked him for always being with me, especially during that day. In Conclusion, I hope you enjoyed this significant moment of my Life and realized how important bonding is on any level, especially with family and loved ones.

Fellow Antz - Carpe Diem!!!

What a great story!
I always try to bring my deceased loved ones with me when something great happens. My mother died when I was only 13, and anytime something good happens, I think to myself "my mother would be so happy right now"
Thanks for sharing!

jen1jeff 10-26-2006 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphatabs (Post 5193383)
I'm no good at telling stories. :o I'll choke, but I'd love to hear some others.

Okay, this is a true story.

I walk into a convenient store. I pick out a 25 cent pack of gum and a can of coke.

I take it up to the cashier (young punk looking kid). He rings it up and gives me a total of $1.11.

I go to pay and realize that I left my wallet at home but I have a dollar in my pocket. Now, I always leave my change in give a penny take a penny cups at convenient stores.

I notice that the give a penny take a penny cup is almost full, probably 30 pennies and a few nickels are available. I start to count out 11 pennies out of the cup and the young punk cashier says " What do you think you doing".
I reply I'm counting out 11 pennies. He says " You can't take 11 pennies, it says give A penny take A penny". I say "okay what if I needed two pennies, or three pennies would that be ok to take". He replies " sure but not ELEVEN pennies". I then inform him that it's not his money in the cup or the stores, it's actually customers change that they have decided to leave and he is not the keeper of the cup.

He says " Sir I will not allow you to take the 11 pennies". I say fine I'll get the change out of my car". I start to walk out with the coke and gum in hand. He taps on the counter and says " Leave the merchandise on the counter sir". I'm really getting irritated now. I remember that I have a crap load of pennies in my console so I go to my car and load up one hand with about 150 pennies. I walk back in and ask him how much do I owe you. He says like a dick 11 cents. I say ok here. I throw all of the pennies into the air, they splash against the ceiling and rain down on the snot nose little punk. I say to him " there's the eleven cents, PUT THE EXTRA IN GIVE A PENNY TAKE A PENNY".

It was really cool to see his face. :eek

fsankh 10-26-2006 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatgirl224 (Post 5193516)
What a great story!
I always try to bring my deceased loved ones with me when something great happens. My mother died when I was only 13, and anytime something good happens, I think to myself "my mother would be so happy right now"
Thanks for sharing!

Thank You!

Thank You for sharing such a personal, poignant point in your Life.

I strongly believe we are all connected. I'm so glad you are able to still speak with her.

Take Care & Keep Smiling!

Heavy As Stone 10-26-2006 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatgirl224 (Post 5193516)
What a great story!
Thanks for sharing!

My best friends mom died about two years ago from breast cancer. She and I were pretty close. I've never had anyone THAT close to me die, but the "my mother would be so happy right now" touched me.

As far as stories go, did you read the one I wrote yesterday? Thread was titled "Nasty. Just nasty."

If not, check it out :)

Heavy As Stone 10-26-2006 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen1jeff (Post 5193542)

I walk into a convenient store. I pick out a 25 cent pack of gum and a can of coke.

I take it up to the cashier (young punk looking kid). He rings it up and gives me a total of $1.11.

I go to pay and realize that I left my wallet at home but I have a dollar in my pocket. Now, I always leave my change in give a penny take a penny cups at convenient stores.

I notice that the give a penny take a penny cup is almost full, probably 30 pennies and a few nickels are available. I start to count out 11 pennies out of the cup and the young punk cashier says " What do you think you doing".
I reply I'm counting out 11 pennies. He says " You can't take 11 pennies, it says give A penny take A penny". I say "okay what if I needed two pennies, or three pennies would that be ok to take". He replies " sure but not ELEVEN pennies". I then inform him that it's not his money in the cup or the stores, it's actually customers change that they have decided to leave and he is not the keeper of the cup.

He says " Sir I will not allow you to take the 11 pennies". I say fine I'll get the change out of my car". I start to walk out with the coke and gum in hand. He taps on the counter and says " Leave the merchandise on the counter sir". I'm really getting irritated now. I remember that I have a crap load of pennies in my console so I go to my car and load up one hand with about 150 pennies. I walk back in and ask him how much do I owe you. He says like a dick 11 cents. I say ok here. I throw all of the pennies into the air, they splash against the ceiling and rain down on the snot nose little punk. I say to him " there's the eleven cents, PUT THE EXTRA IN GIVE A PENNY TAKE A PENNY".

Thats.... kinda psycho man....

Edit: not necessarily in a bad way.

thatgirl224 10-26-2006 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy As Stone (Post 5193558)
My best friends mom died about two years ago from breast cancer. She and I were pretty close. I've never had anyone THAT close to me die, but the "my mother would be so happy right now" touched me.

As far as stories go, did you read the one I wrote yesterday? Thread was titled something like "Nasty. Just disgusting"

If not, check it out :)

I try to be as positive about it as I can. When she died my big sister told me "It's ok to be sad, but don't let yourself get angry about it. You had the best mom in the whole world for 13 years, which is 13 years more than many others". I though that was very touching. The only think that bothers me, is when My relationship with my bf got serious, I got sad because he could never meet my mom, and she would never be able to meet him. I like to think he knows her just from knowing me.

No I haven't read your story...but I am going to find it now..hehehe

jen1jeff 10-26-2006 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy As Stone (Post 5193568)
Thats.... kinda psycho man....

Edit: not necessarily in a bad way.

The kid was out of line, trust me, he deserved it.

thatgirl224 10-26-2006 01:33 PM

Ok...I just read the story...EWWWW!!!

I feel bad for you that you had to experience that....*shiver*

Heavy As Stone 10-26-2006 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatgirl224 (Post 5193600)
Ok...I just read the story...EWWWW!!!

I feel bad for you that you had to experience that....*shiver*

Yeah, it was gross. Really, really fucking gross.

Heavy As Stone 10-26-2006 01:37 PM

Completely off topic, but does anyone know why the word "leader" in "cheerleader" is censored out? (under my avatar)

thatgirl224 10-26-2006 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy As Stone (Post 5193619)
Completely off topic, but does anyone know why the word "leader" in "cheerleader" is censored out? (under my avatar)

No idea. I just changed mine to see if it would do the same thing, and it did...Weird...

marlin1805 10-26-2006 01:41 PM

no idea, thats strange

mp3ray 10-26-2006 01:42 PM

so the other day I went into my night job and before clocking in, I went to the restroom to wash my hands. As I turned the faucet off, the next thing I know it broke off and water was hitting the ceiling with full force. I put my hands over the faucet so that the water would be forced back into the sink, but the damage had been done. I was soaked, so much in fact water was dripping off my face and my hair stuck to me. The ceiling got so wet that it started flaking and wet pieces of Styrofoam were clinging to my hair and sweater. My skirt was completely soaked.
I looked down to turn off the water and of course they have fabric covering it as decor and there was no way for me to get to it unless I took my hands off the water.
Of course the door is locked and I can't reach it with my leg fully extended so I have to take my hands off the faucet. I was able to call for help and my coworkers just about died when the saw me. I was laughing my ass off thinking this could be an episode of friends, but I was pretty soaked.

I had to have them bring my car around and heat it up because after taking off my sweater I only had on a tank top in 40 degrees with every part of me wet. It was a fun night :( lol

jen1jeff 10-26-2006 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mp3ray (Post 5193636)
so the other day I went into my night job and before clocking in, I went to the restroom to wash my hands. As I turned the faucet off, the next thing I know it broke off and water was hitting the ceiling with full force. I put my hands over the faucet so that the water would be forced back into the sink, but the damage had been done. I was soaked, so much in fact water was dripping off my face and my hair stuck to me. The ceiling got so wet that it started flaking and wet pieces of Styrofoam were clinging to my hair and sweater. My skirt was completely soaked.
I looked down to turn off the water and of course they have fabric covering it as decor and there was no way for me to get to it unless I took my hands off the water.
Of course the door is locked and I can't reach it with my leg fully extended so I have to take my hands off the faucet. I was able to call for help and my coworkers just about died when the saw me. I was laughing my ass off thinking this could be an episode of friends, but I was pretty soaked.

I had to have them bring my car around and heat it up because after taking off my sweater I only had on a tank top in 40 degrees with every part of me wet. It was a fun night :( lol

sounds like a start to a porno flick

thatgirl224 10-26-2006 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mp3ray (Post 5193636)

What a bummer!

When I had first graduated, I got a summer job at the golf course as a laborer. For the first month, we were using a woodchipper to thin out the woods off the left side of hole #1. It was a beast of a machine. After about a week of using it, the greenskeeper brought it back out one morning, but forgot to lock it down so it wouldn't move.
As we were putting a tree through it, the vibrations caused it to start moving. It slipped over the hillside and started knocking down small trees as it made its way quickly towards the river.

One of the trees it knocked down during it's excape was a smaller one, and it had hit it at an angle so that the tree actually entered the chipper, and was throwing the woodchips up at us as we were chasing it down the hill (I don't know why...it's not like we could have stopped it). It finally hit a group of large trees that stopped it, but it continued to throw wood chips at us for another minute.
After we had it pulled back up to the side of the fairway, we got a good laugh out of it. We got the rest of the day off.

marlin1805 10-26-2006 01:50 PM

i got a story:

had a booty call last night with this girl I met a few weeks ago, she came and went ... I don't even know her last name. Is that bad??

smartyarty420 10-26-2006 01:52 PM

here goes:
so i'm sitting in traffic on my way home from work one day. i'm sitting on a very narrow 2 lane bridge and traffic is at a complete standstill. it's a warm day and i have my windows open. traffic in the lane coming the other way is moving very slowly and i heard a really loud bang and what do i do? i dive for cover like someone is shooting at me. i dove over towards the passenger seat and i realized that no one was shooting at me. one of the cars in the other lane blew a tire right outside my window. so i feel like a complete moron but luckily i'm by myself. i looked in my rearview to see if the person behind me saw my idiocy. of course there's 2 people in the car and they are laughing their asses off at me. i waved and they waved back and i was on my way when traffic started moving.
what i liked about the whole thing was the fact that i gave those 2 people a funny story to tell. i can just hear them going you're not gonna believe what this idiot did while i was sitting in traffic today... i also got a funny story out of it too.

thatgirl224 10-26-2006 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartyarty420 (Post 5193663)
here goes:
so i'm sitting in traffic on my way home from work one day. i'm sitting on a very narrow 2 lane bridge and traffic is at a complete standstill. it's a warm day and i have my windows open. traffic in the lane coming the other way is moving very slowly and i heard a really loud bang and what do i do? i dive for cover like someone is shooting at me. i dove over towards the passenger seat and i realized that no one was shooting at me. one of the cars in the other lane blew a tire right outside my window. so i feel like a complete moron but luckily i'm by myself. i looked in my rearview to see if the person behind me saw my idiocy. of course there's 2 people in the car and they are laughing their asses off at me. i waved and they waved back and i was on my way when traffic started moving.
what i liked about the whole thing was the fact that i gave those 2 people a funny story to tell. i can just hear them going you're not gonna believe what this idiot did while i was sitting in traffic today... i also got a funny story out of it too.

ahahahah that's awesome!

alphatabs 10-26-2006 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen1jeff (Post 5193542)

:lol Fantastic!

smudge1 10-26-2006 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen1jeff (Post 5193596)
The kid was out of line, trust me, he deserved it.

Take a penny Leave a penny.
not Take a dime Leave a dime.

smudge1 10-26-2006 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatgirl224 (Post 5193655)
What a bummer!

When I had first graduated, I got a summer job at the golf course as a laborer. For the first month, we were using a woodchipper to thin out the woods off the left side of hole #1. It was a beast of a machine. After about a week of using it, the greenskeeper brought it back out one morning, but forgot to lock it down so it wouldn't move.
As we were putting a tree through it, the vibrations caused it to start moving. It slipped over the hillside and started knocking down small trees as it made its way quickly towards the river.

One of the trees it knocked down during it's excape was a smaller one, and it had hit it at an angle so that the tree actually entered the chipper, and was throwing the woodchips up at us as we were chasing it down the hill (I don't know why...it's not like we could have stopped it). It finally hit a group of large trees that stopped it, but it continued to throw wood chips at us for another minute.
After we had it pulled back up to the side of the fairway, we got a good laugh out of it. We got the rest of the day off.

you need to stay away from heavy machinery:lol

jen1jeff 10-26-2006 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudge1 (Post 5193676)
Take a penny Leave a penny.
not Take a dime Leave a dime.

Who makes the rules? It' s not the stores change.