Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMB Tour Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   ***Official Camden, NJ 2010 Thread*** (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=271200)

barntotheish 03-02-2010 12:18 PM

Re: ***Official Camden, NJ 2010 Thread***

[/quote]Cherry Hill is a pretty good area. really anything along Rt 38 or 70 is good. there is a Days Inn on 38 i believe and there is a Wal-Mart like right across the street. its pretty easy to get around that area. 70 is a bit of a pain in the ass. and if you do stay on 70, DO NOT think about going back to the Turkey Hill for snacks. you can't turn around and you'll get lost for like a half hour. having stayed on both roads, personally i'd stay on 38 again before 70.[/quote]

Good advice for those coming from out of state. Cherry Hill is the easiest/closest/safest. NJ doesn't like left turns on major roads, we do jughandles instead. Just means you may have to pass your destination and turn around to get on the correct side of the road. It's really not that hard.

hawkma2 03-02-2010 03:44 PM

Thanks. Looks like cherry hill it is. Seems like sooo far away, but it will come faster than most of us would expect.

dimeglio 03-02-2010 09:24 PM

hey can you send me the 2 camden shows from 08. i was there def best show ever. exp the 4th

camaroz28dmb 03-02-2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimeglio (Post 10815166)
hey can you send me the 2 camden shows from 08. i was there def best show ever. exp the 4th

www.dreamingtree.org

jiggajm18 03-03-2010 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimeglio (Post 10815166)

i can upload these for you if you want

jhurleyants 03-07-2010 03:06 PM

Decided to try Camden this year for a show - and got 2 pav seats through the WH. I've never been to Camden, though, and checking out this thread, it sounds like the area around the venue is sketchy. What's the best way in and out to avoid all that? Thanks.

spoot388 03-07-2010 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhurleyants (Post 10836861)
Decided to try Camden this year for a show - and got 2 pav seats through the WH. I've never been to Camden, though, and checking out this thread, it sounds like the area around the venue is sketchy. What's the best way in and out to avoid all that? Thanks.

"sketchy" is an understatement :lol

camden is one of the worst cities in the country in terms of crime, drugs, and poverty. why they decided to put a concert pavilion, an aquarium, and a minor league baseball stadium i have no idea. the waterfront (where all those are located) is nice but the rest of the city is awful.

just park in the venue lot. i'm pretty sure its on MLK Dr. google map it and you'll find it. when you leave, its pretty much a straight shot along a major road to the highways to either go into NJ or across the river back into philly where you can pick up I-95 among other highways. its not hard, just gotta know where you need to go. i would definitely study the map a bit before the shows so you have an idea of where you are when you're there.

bradshaw06 03-07-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoot388 (Post 10838198)

camden is one of the worst cities in the country in terms of crime, drugs, and poverty. why they decided to put a concert pavilion, an aquarium, and a minor league baseball stadium i have no idea. the waterfront (where all those are located) is nice but the rest of the city is awful.

just park in the venue lot. i'm pretty sure its on MLK Dr. google map it and you'll find it. when you leave, its pretty much a straight shot along a major road to the highways to either go into NJ or across the river back into philly where you can pick up I-95 among other highways. its not hard, just gotta know where you need to go. i would definitely study the map a bit before the shows so you have an idea of where you are when you're there.

:lol i remember a few years ago someone made a thread on ants asking if there was good camping at camden

zachyd 03-07-2010 08:14 PM

so, this is gonna be my first year at Camden. any advice, tips, or pointers?

bradshaw06 03-07-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachyd (Post 10838258)

dont go to far away from the lots and venue, in the city at least.

jhurleyants 03-08-2010 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoot388 (Post 10838198)

Thanks.

I'm looking at the map, but I have no idea what areas are the ones to avoid. If you go down Mickle Blvd straight to the venue - is that okay?

thanks again.

paulaugustus 03-08-2010 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhurleyants (Post 10838956)
Thanks.

I'm looking at the map, but I have no idea what areas are the ones to avoid. If you go down Mickle Blvd straight to the venue - is that okay?

thanks again.

all the good hotels are in philly right across the river. there's a ferry that accomodates concert goers. if you have to drive, map it out to be safe, but there will be a flow of traffic.

jiggajm18 03-08-2010 06:04 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

thanks again.

you don't really have to worry if you are driving.

however, if you really are worried, you can take public transportation.

paulaugustus 03-08-2010 06:45 AM

in reality, there will be far more criminal activity right in the venue parking lot. but for some reason, this doesn't concern us. perhaps we should take a look at this hypocrisy.

bots444 03-08-2010 07:24 AM

Your best bet if your coming from the Philly area is to get on ML King Blvd / Mickle Blvd. Just follow that straight and you will pretty much dead end right at the tweeter center. The lots are right there.

sdmc229 03-08-2010 08:22 AM

Quote:

Yes, there is crime in Camden.

The standard advice stands:
1. Know your surroundings.
2. Pay attention to things going on around you.
3. Do not put yourself in a stupid situation.

I have been going to shows in Camden for many years, and my wife and I have walked from the venue to the transportation center after giving up on the ferry. I have never had a problem.

Json417 03-08-2010 08:48 AM

yea i made the trip last year for the first time, I was expecting worse than what i saw, minus the chaos in the lots with kids tailgating. but i had a great time, deffinatly heading back this year.

curlycal 03-08-2010 08:53 AM

i mean... its really not that big of a deal. know that it is a dangerous city, but the area you will be spending most of your time in is not bad. just follow the bros.

if anything... you should be more afraid of the nitrous mafia.

Json417 03-08-2010 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curlycal (Post 10839640)
i mean... its really not that big of a deal. know that it is a dangerous city, but the area you will be spending most of your time in is not bad. just follow the bros.

if anything... you should be more afraid of the nitrous mafia.

haha exactly, i mean i am a college student myself, but was shockey by the scene last year

spoot388 03-08-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

thanks again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulaugustus (Post 10838964)
all the good hotels are in philly right across the river. there's a ferry that accomodates concert goers. if you have to drive, map it out to be safe, but there will be a flow of traffic.

AWFUL advice. there are hotels in jersey for like half the price of what you'll find in philly. i stayed at a days inn last year for like $85. there is a holliday inn for like $100+. in philly you pay like $160 a night. and the ferry is the wost thing to ever even think about taking. last year i left night 1 EARLY and still had to wait in line for an hour and a half. the 2nd night i drove and was out of the venue lot so fast i beat the band's busses to the highway, and they get out almost instantly.

camaroz28dmb 03-08-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

stop by our tailgate man. at some point at least, we gotta catch up. and our spot is usually awesome.

DMBzilla 03-09-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoot388 (Post 10839891)
AWFUL advice. there are hotels in jersey for like half the price of what you'll find in philly. i stayed at a days inn last year for like $85. there is a holliday inn for like $100+. in philly you pay like $160 a night. and the ferry is the wost thing to ever even think about taking. last year i left night 1 EARLY and still had to wait in line for an hour and a half. the 2nd night i drove and was out of the venue lot so fast i beat the band's busses to the highway, and they get out almost instantly.

You're still on that ferry thing? :lol

That was a total anomaly based on the terrible encore. The majority of the time the ferry is the best way to go. If you leave just as the show ends and book it over there you'll be on the first boat with no problems at all.

sdmc229 03-09-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBzilla (Post 10846530)

That was a total anomaly based on the terrible encore. The majority of the time the ferry is the best way to go. If you leave just as the show ends and book it over there you'll be on the first boat with no problems at all.

Can't stand that ferry. Waited in line forever to get over to Camden, and left after the encore N1 last year, and waited 45 minutes, with no line movement. Walked to the transportation center and took PATCO.

spoot388 03-09-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBzilla (Post 10846530)

ok, so leave as soon as the show ends and run my ass off a half mile to hopefully get in line to make the first ferry over, OR casually leave like everyone else, walk through the venue lot, find my car, and get back to the highway before the band even does. hmmmm....

conclusion, no matter what the circumstances, the ferry is a waste. and how can you be sure they won't play another terrible encore this year and cause the same thing to happen? then you're stuck waiting in line for 2 hours.

barntotheish 03-09-2010 06:30 PM

Finally a worse encore than Camden 08 in Dublin today. I can't imagine Cornbread closing a set in the states, let alone an encore.

~Crashintome89~ 03-09-2010 07:20 PM

So Jerry fucked up and now we don't have pavillion tickets to N2. Yes, blame him...

TheKramer26 03-09-2010 07:24 PM

Very easy to get to and from the venue. There is the usual amount of traffic that you would find at any concert. The area around is sketchy but the lots are huge and it's a HUGE party and there will be zero reason to leave. Cops everywhere, which sometimes is a bad thing but it really isn't that bad. People in this thread are trying to scare others away from Camden shows it seems like. Great shows here every year.

firedancer811 03-09-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoot388 (Post 10839891)

Last year we stayed in Philly (which I think is totally worth the price if you want to hang out and check out the scene). We drove in, but isnt the speedline a better bet than the ferry?

paulaugustus 03-10-2010 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firedancer811 (Post 10849640)
Last year we stayed in Philly (which I think is totally worth the price if you want to hang out and check out the scene). We drove in, but isnt the speedline a better bet than the ferry?

philly is the way to go for a certain demographic i guess. personally, I can't imagine dealing with driving and staying in a flea bag, but i'm a bit older.

what is the speedline anyway? last year it did appear that the ferry was a mess on night 1, but night 2 it seemed empty.

jiggajm18 03-10-2010 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firedancer811 (Post 10849640)

:thumbsup

staying in philly is definitely worth it if you want to go out after the shows and have stuff to do the morning of/after the shows.