Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Glen Ballard
Thread: Glen Ballard
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #33
Antelope

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Glen Ballard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb27364041 View Post
When somebody is pressured to write songs that quickly, there's not much room for creativity. That's not to say someone can't write a great song in an hour. Someone can be suddenly inspired walking down the street and write a beautiful song because the thought came naturally. But when you just go in and sit down and say 'ok i have to write a whole song today' it becomes too mechanical and forced.

If you write your own songs, you most likely agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danscott26 View Post
Agree with this completely. I don't write any music, but I do stand up comedy and some times when I have time, I sit down and try to write out jokes. But you really can't force it. You might get an alright idea here and there but nothing really special. Some of my best jokes have come to me while I was just going about life and the idea came up. You can't force creativity.

I feel the same way about the short stories I write. I can write nine stories in ten days, but that doesn't mean they'll be any good or even interesting at best.