First Show for a fan in 2014 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
WarehouseForman

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

First Show for a fan in 2014

I know there was a thread a while back about a SA fan who was seeing his first show because he lived in South Africa (not even sure if this even happened, thought I remembered it though), but as a fan from the US who 1. can't find said thread 2. is just planning on attending just a regular show, not SPAC or Gorge, just the ATL one-night show and 3. is going to be attending an acoustic show which is a different atmosphere than any other show, I naturally have some questions.
As I'm one of the few new fans following a band approaching irrelevancy, is there anything I need to know going in to the show? Should I get seats that are better than lawn (I'm still in high school and poor as dirt) in order to get an adequate experience out of my first show? And one last question, do you think the acoustic/electric set will be the true 'dmb experience'? (Obviously no one knows exactly how it will be set up, but what are your predictions) Sorry if this is in the wrong thread or if there is some super obvious thread about all of this that I missed.

Edit: Two more things: I'm a fairly 'hardcore' fan, I guess. Know the LWS, favorite song is Pig, tattoo of Dave's face on my left cheek, etc.
And I've watched a ton of full live shows on youtube, but none from after 2004, will that ruin it for me at all? I'm sure they can't compare to being there obviously, but just putting it out there.

Last edited by WarehouseForman; 01-20-2014 at 01:38 PM.
WarehouseForman is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
    dmbolp
    GO GATORS!!!

Shows Seen: 150

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Re: First Show for a fan in 2014

Here's a huge thread on expectations for 2014 show format:

http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/sh...d.php?t=328468
    Old 01-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
    WarehouseForman

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
    Here's a huge thread on expectations for 2014 show format:

http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/sh...d.php?t=328468
    Right I saw that I just didn't see any discussion on what it would be like for someone who has never seen a show and assumed it would get lost/not well responded to in how much traffic there is to that thread. But I guess I should probably base my expectations on what I've read from that thread. Any other answers to some of my other questions would be great. Thanks!
    Old 01-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
    Patrick86
    FeelingGood approved av

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WarehouseForman View Post

Edit: Two more things: I'm a fairly 'hardcore' fan, I guess. Know the LWS, favorite song is Pig, tattoo of Dave's face on my left cheek, etc.
    And I've watched a ton of full live shows on youtube, but none from after 2004, will that ruin it for me at all? I'm sure they can't compare to being there obviously, but just putting it out there.
    Wait, for real?
    Patrick86 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
    WarehouseForman

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patrick86 View Post
    Wait, for real?
    No but definitely on the agenda after college though. Butt cheek by the way, not face cheek. Unless I knew for a fact a potential employer was on Ants or something
    Old 01-20-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
    barbogast
    Two's a Perfect Number

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Never been to the venue in ATL so I can't speak specifically to the lawn there, but basically the general deal with lawn is you'll be around people who are overall less interested in the show than the people inside the pavilion. That's not always the case, and depending on your ability to not focus on the people around you all the time, this may not hinder your experience one way or the other. Lots of people hate lawn and refuse to even consider it, I am not one of those people. Lawn can provide a great value at a lower price than a seat, and my idiotic antics threshold is pretty high, so I'm rarely bothered by whatever the people I end up next to are doing. With a seat, it's there for you whenever you arrive, which is a bonus, and you'll generally find people are more into what's happening on stage (but again that's not necessarily the case). The best thing about being inside is the difference in sound quality. Some lawns are better than others when it comes to this (maybe someone can speak to Lakewood's lawn), but lawns can sometimes be a bit quiet, and then if you're surrounded by idiots it can become hard to hear. But that takes me to my final point about lawn: if you end next to sucky people, you can always move. That's a big plus for me. Can't do that as easily with seats.

As far as the "true DMB experience" part, I mean, no one really knows what this tour will look like. It's gonna be different, but you'll likely still get a somewhat lengthy full band set that resembles the shows as we know them now. But maybe not, again we don't really know what these shows will look like.

Watching YouTube videos is nothing like being there. The fact that you've done that won't take away from anything.

And do you really plan to put a tattoo of Dave's face on your ass? I'd probably recommend against that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post
    I sort of want the Caps to win because Barbs is awesome

Last edited by barbogast; 01-20-2014 at 02:56 PM.
    barbogast is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #7
    WarehouseForman

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barbogast View Post
    And do you really plan to put a tattoo of Dave's face on your ass? I'd probably recommend against that.
    Nah man just trying to fit in.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barbogast View Post
    All of the other things you said, too long to fit in a post
    Thanks for all that info. I might spring for the cheapest pit seats because its obviously a pretty big deal to me. Also edit #2 for the original post: Does the fact that the sets are or seem slightly weaker than in 'the golden age' of DMB make the experience any less special? Like is the atmosphere that different or anything?
    Old 01-20-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

OP if you like the DMB you'll have a great time. They still play and sound great! Is it the same as 91-04? No, but it's still awesome and since you haven't seen them yet you won't complain about another Jimi Thing or Cornbread or whatever random song. I remember very vividly my first show back in 06 and I had a blast. Looking back at the set now there were some grat high points but also a fair amount of duds from Stand Up or whatever. You'll have a blast no matter what. Don't let some people tell you they aren't good anymore or whatever they still put on a great show. Just go in and prepare to have an awesome night and don't worry if the set looks great on Ants or that it's ATL and not the Gorge. Just go and enjoy the music and the vibe.
    Old 01-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #9
    WarehouseForman

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    back in 06
    But you got shotgun (probably)! kidding. Thanks for the advice, definitely looking forward to it. And I know a lot of people say don't look at the setlists before your show but I'm definitely not gonna be able to not look at the first few setlists of the year to see how acoustic/electric sets are gonna work
    Old 01-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.aspx?id=453056297

Actually didn't get shotgun till 2011. But did get JTR and a 26 minute 41 with the Flecktones
    Old 01-21-2014, 12:32 AM   #11
    jbeck417
    Becker

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Dude you'll have a blast! Do the pit if you can afford it- it'll be a blast. I haven't been to the ATL venue, but it should be a decent place. The one regret I have ever about my first show is that I got blackout drunk and don't remember shit from it. Ever since then I've made it a rule to stay coherent for all DMB shows. Luckily I was able to get a recording of the show and can listen to it, but everytime I do I kick myself for not remembering a thing. You'd think listening to the show I was at it would spark something but it doesn't, just pisses me off that I did that. Don't get me wrong I have a few beers before/during/after the shows, but I made a point to remember the show- that's the worst feeling, is not being able to remember the show, especially your first show. I wish you the best set list that you could want for your first show man!
    Raleigh, NC 08/09- STL '10- D&T '10 Vegas N1/N2- Lakeside Caravan N2/N3- STL '12- Gorge x3 '12- Chula Vista '12- Irvine '12- Hollywood Bowl '12- Dallas '13- STL '13- Gorge x3 '13- Gorge x3 '14- Irvine '14- Camden x2 '15
    jbeck417 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #12
    ottman

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Don't worry about how the band, atmosphere, etc used to be different. There's absolutely nothing you can do about that. Just go into the show excited that you're going to see your favorite band perform for the first time. Spoil yourself and get the best seats/pit available. You'll love it.
    ottman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #13
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

I hope they show up with their A game for your sake.

It'll be curious to see your reaction after the show. Don't forget to comeback and post a review
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #14
    moccasin
    We'll Lock You Away

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I have had some great times sitting on the lawn, but nothing compares with being as close to the stage as you can get.
    For your first DMB concert I would suggest finding/saving up the extra money for a pit/pavilion seat; it will be worth it.
    Try to get there early so you'll have a chance to soak it all in and meet some cool people....Leave all your expectations at home.

Have fun!!!
    Old 10-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #15
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

I wonder what OP thoughts are
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #16
    420th jimi
    West Coast LoVE!

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    I wonder what OP thoughts are
    I wonder this too. Also wonder where his seats were or if he got pit.