News on DMB's new album? - Page 11 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 11-15-2017, 07:02 AM   #301
KevinTH
KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: News on DMB's new album?

At this point I'm more excited to get an album from this band then another tour. I think they are very capable of making a great album, but live they just don't bring the same show they once could. They're still a great live band and I'll continue to see them for the sake of fun and nostalgia. It's been beaten to death but, Boyd's inaudible, Tim's too loud and shreds too much, Carter overplays, Rashawn is not a good fit for the band. In a studio though I think they sound much more like DMB than on stage anymore.
KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-15-2017, 07:31 AM   #302
    chrisjuniper

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    At this point I'm more excited to get an album from this band then another tour. I think they are very capable of making a great album, but live they just don't bring the same show they once could. They're still a great live band and I'll continue to see them for the sake of fun and nostalgia. It's been beaten to death but, Boyd's inaudible, Tim's too loud and shreds too much, Carter overplays, Rashawn is not a good fit for the band. In a studio though I think they sound much more like DMB than on stage anymore.
    I personally don't think I'd ever come to the point where I prefer studio to live DMB. A lot of your gripes are obviously well-founded though.
    chrisjuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2017, 07:41 AM   #303
    groogrux27

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I feel like them getting into the studio and feeling some magic as they create new songs and lay down new tracks will bode well for the live show as well. I also hope that they turn Tim down a little and Dave's guitar and Boyd up a little, but I feel like the creative juices that will flow from being in the studio will do a lot to help the band in general.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    groogrux27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2017, 07:43 AM   #304
    alec

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    l agree with this, BUT if they don’t have a producer to real in all those points you just mentioned, that worries me for what a studio album might sound like.
    alec is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2017, 07:44 AM   #305
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Live DMB was best up until Rashawn joined the picture. From then it's just gone downhill with Carter's thrashing, Tim's shredding and the absence of Boyd. As a fan that's been listening for 20+ years it's become frustrating to listen to a show and have to strain my ear to try and hear any of Boyd's signature lines, and I'm just not a fan of the horn section. I'd be fine if it was just Jeff. What made DMB so great was their intricate play on a band built up of unique instrumentation. Boyd and Leroi used to play across the stage together harmoniously, and now it's broken down to sections, with one of which only being a faint sound in the background. I think I'd rather hear a well mixed studio album of great songs.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2017, 04:56 PM   #306
    ramiro24
    Hurricane Rozz

Shows Seen: 74

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

They have no dynamics anymore. Just a wall of sound...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
    Rozz, you are always partying, even when you're not
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btpeters View Post
    We all go a little Rozz sometimes
    ramiro24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2017, 05:11 PM   #307
    vp719

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by groogrux27 View Post
    I feel like them getting into the studio and feeling some magic as they create new songs and lay down new tracks will bode well for the live show as well. I also hope that they turn Tim down a little and Dave's guitar and Boyd up a little, but I feel like the creative juices that will flow from being in the studio will do a lot to help the band in general.
    This may be a dumb question, but I have no idea how the mix works at live shows. Who makes the call on these things? Does Dave control the levels? Or Fenton?
    vp719 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2017, 08:43 PM   #308
    Toast and Jelly

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

RAab controls vox
    Toast and Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2017, 10:25 AM   #309
    #41Tom

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toast and Jelly View Post
    RAab controls vox
    I could not believe raab being on stage at the c'ville (?) concert. Of everything, that was the most bizarre, even the Butch omissions and Stevie Wonder going off on one.

As for ^^ Dave would have essentially no control of dynamics during a gig, but I'm not sure how the evolution of the dynamics has happened over the years...?
    And the end of the world."
    #41Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #310
    Dmband35

Shows Seen: 65

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

As you can see, I hardly ever post but do enjoy reading and hoping for some news here. I wouldn't post this unless I believed the person who told me. An old friend of mine that moved to Seattle a few years back has recently started learning the recording studio business. He was at a studio last week (and would refuse to tell me which one for fear of not being allowed back) and Dave Matthews walked past him down the hallway. When asking the person he was with why Dave was there, he replied that Dave has space occupied for the next five months. He didn't see any other band members and hasn't been back to that studio since. I have no reason to believe he would make this up for no good reason as he or I have nothing to gain from it except for excitement for a new album. Take it for what it is and let's hope they will have something in 2018
    Dmband35 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #311
    alec

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dmband35 View Post
    As you can see, I hardly ever post but do enjoy reading and hoping for some news here. I wouldn't post this unless I believed the person who told me. An old friend of mine that moved to Seattle a few years back has recently started learning the recording studio business. He was at a studio last week (and would refuse to tell me which one for fear of not being allowed back) and Dave Matthews walked past him down the hallway. When asking the person he was with why Dave was there, he replied that Dave has space occupied for the next five months. He didn't see any other band members and hasn't been back to that studio since. I have no reason to believe he would make this up for no good reason as he or I have nothing to gain from it except for excitement for a new album. Take it for what it is and let's hope they will have something in 2018
    I choose to believe you because I want to be excited. If this turns out to be true, hooray!
    Old 11-16-2017, 06:46 PM   #312
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Really cool to hear. I hope they do finish an album at some point this year.
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2017, 07:59 PM   #313
    groogrux27

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    that means he has it until march, which means that we probably shouldn't expect an album until at least June, but hey! Thanks for the news!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    groogrux27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2017, 09:07 AM   #314
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

This is good news!
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #315
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Very cool news. Hopefully he can squeeze some of that blood from the rock.
    Old 11-17-2017, 09:22 AM   #316
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I want a dave solo album or D&T album more than a DMB album at this point to be honest.

Regardless, good news!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #317
    Tomacco

Shows Seen: 134

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

That all lines up with what Dave himself said about working with the band this Fall and hopefully having the album done early next year.
    Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-18-2017, 05:15 AM   #318
    chrisjuniper

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    I want a dave solo album or D&T album more than a DMB album at this point to be honest.

Regardless, good news!
    A studio Dave and Tim album would be super interesting. I agree about a Dave solo album too, Some Devil is one of my all time favorite albums.
    chrisjuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-18-2017, 05:40 AM   #319
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

A Dave and Tim studio album would be amazing but I want that after the band is done. I want this next project to be a full band one.
    Old 11-19-2017, 08:05 AM   #320
    ajk316

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

someone called me stupid for questioning what Dave meant by "early next year" in an article and said "obviously means early 2018 cause that is next year".... This interaction happened within the last month or two.... But seems more likely mid-year.... Useless info I know but I hate unnecessarily rude people... and i like dots......

but I just felt if he meant jan-march release he would have said this coming winter. Not year

But I am also stupid
    Old 11-20-2017, 07:12 AM   #321
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

Shows Seen: 58

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisjuniper View Post
    I personally don't think I'd ever come to the point where I prefer studio to live DMB
    i'm at that point. i dont listen to them much these days but when i do, its their studio stuff.
    Old 11-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #322
    adkchappy

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Could this be a sign of a Dave solo album? Unless this person saw/heard about the rest of the band coming to this studio, this might mean that this is a Dave solo project.
    adkchappy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #323
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by adkchappy View Post
    Could this be a sign of a Dave solo album? Unless this person saw/heard about the rest of the band coming to this studio, this might mean that this is a Dave solo project.
    Or it could mean Dave was putting down vocals, guitar parts, or just recording some ideas. None of which requires other members.
    Old 11-23-2017, 11:30 AM   #324
    #41Tom

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    look up three posts:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
    That all lines up with what Dave himself said about working with the band this Fall and hopefully having the album done early next year.
    And the end of the world."
    #41Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-27-2017, 05:14 AM   #325
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    Or it could mean Dave was putting down vocals, guitar parts, or just recording some ideas. None of which requires other members.
    Yeah, I wouldn't put much stock in the other band members not being there. But.. if Dave is just working up ideas, it's hard to see how an album comes out next year. I'd guess they're farther along than we've heard. I'm curious what producer they're working with.. is it still Cavallo?
    Old 11-27-2017, 05:49 AM   #326
    axelrod

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

My guess is the band goes into the studio after Dave and Tim Mexico.... curious if the band announces the dates before or after the Mexico shows.. I would assume after
    axelrod is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-27-2017, 11:03 AM   #327
    ElijahSoRight72

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Heyberto View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't put much stock in the other band members not being there. But.. if Dave is just working up ideas, it's hard to see how an album comes out next year. I'd guess they're farther along than we've heard. I'm curious what producer they're working with.. is it still Cavallo?
    Last word was Cavallo was out a year or more ago. Which I find unfortunate. It has been the assumption that they've been self producing recently.
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-27-2017, 11:43 AM   #328
    alec

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 View Post
    Last word was Cavallo was out a year or more ago. Which I find unfortunate. It has been the assumption that they've been self producing recently.
    I really hope that either bring Cavallo back or get someone else like Daniel Lanois. Someone needs to be there to reel them in from playing too many notes.
    Old 11-27-2017, 12:02 PM   #329
    TurboPGT

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alec View Post
    I really hope that either bring Cavallo back or get someone else like Daniel Lanois. Someone needs to be there to reel them in from playing too many notes.
    I dunno, I feel blaming/crediting a producer is like doing the same to a baseball manager. They make a call here or there, and maybe change the direction that things go, but they aren't making the tunes in the end.

Dave either has something of quality left to write, or he doesn't. Personally, I believe he's done. I don't believe he will ever write and perform another song that I consider to be great.
    TurboPGT is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-28-2017, 01:29 PM   #330
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TurboPGT View Post
    I dunno, I feel blaming/crediting a producer is like doing the same to a baseball manager. They make a call here or there, and maybe change the direction that things go, but they aren't making the tunes in the end.

Dave either has something of quality left to write, or he doesn't. Personally, I believe he's done. I don't believe he will ever write and perform another song that I consider to be great.
    A producer -- a good producer -- is absolutely integral to an album. A good producer shapes the direction of the music.

Think about Ballard. He was a good producer, but not necessarily right for DMB. The ED songs were very much DMB lyrically and melodically, and even progression was straight up DMB. But Glenn pushed a different direction than what was DMB and the record suffered. I'm not going to defend some of the shakier songs on it, but had there been a Lillywhite behind them, it may have been more appropriate.

Then Batson convinced Dave to not be Dave on Stand Up ... to slow down and convinced him that the direction was right when Dave started questioning the quality of his own lyrics. Mark had good ideas on how to spark inspiration, but the execution was less than timeless.

Cavallo nurtured the band's direction that felt natural to them and pulled back some of the more ambitious, yet 'they're-too-close-to-see-it's-not-working' ideas. Some of the choices were still questionable, but the end result was better.

The producer absolutely does matter.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote