News on DMB's new album? - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #61
BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: News on DMB's new album?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
Stand Up was absolutely not a "Dave solo" type record. Everyone was involved heavily

Yep. In all of the wrong ways, but they were all involved for sure. I mean hell, pretty much everyone "wrote" or created a song...Well, at least Fonz, Boyd, Dave (duh), and Butch did I believe.
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-21-2016, 06:21 AM   #62
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Its a shame because I really liked the last 2 studio albums and I really don't get to shows anymore. Without a new album coming out, or at least a plan for one, there isn't anything band related to look forward to.
    Old 04-21-2016, 10:34 AM   #63
    TwoStep01

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pbrk11 View Post
    I remember reading that and thinking the same thing, it's borderline insulting to a fan like myself that supports new music and studio recordings from this band, I have met many people that just want to hear Billies and Ants every single summer for the rest of the band's existence, with a few live shows from 23.5 years ago released quarterly....I don't know it's just frustrating they're some pretty seasoned musicians on the most professional level which should be an honor to make a piece of art in a room with mics that 65% of the public could never afford to look at, and Stefan literally tweets the album is 90 PERCENT done, Jeff says there WILL be a new DMB album in 2016.... and I gotta listen to Dave practically make a joke out of the idea of releasing new material .....it's frustrating, I want to hear this thing for whatever it is
    I didn't take it that way. I'm pretty sure when Dave says they'll eventually release an album "for whatever reason people still do that" he's referring to changes within the music industry that have de-emphasized the traditional album release. Now that everything is downloaded a la carte (and often for free) there's just less importance placed on the album as a singular work of art.

Dave is just acknowledging a shift in pop culture, not dissing fans. Especially when you consider that there are literally hundreds of live recordings of this band free for download out there. Want to hear a song? Grab a torrent and be on your merry way.

That said, I really do hope we get a new album sometime. Some of us are still old school like that.
    2001:Gorge x3; 2002:Gorge x3; 2003:Gorge x2; 2014:Chula Vista; 2015:Irvine; 2016:Chula Vista, Irvine; 2018:Atlanta, Mtn. View; 2021:Irvine x2; 2022: Chula Vista, Hollywood Bowl x2; 2023:Irvine x2;
    TwoStep01 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #64
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

With me heading to the Gorge this year and a couple other shows I hope we don't get the 2016 album.

I hope they dedicate 110% of their energy to learning as much of their catalog (good parts) and playing long, diverse shows this summer.

Then after the tour they can take a year to build off the good things they've recorded thus far and create an amazing album.

Release it in Early 2018 and have a huge return to touring and to the new music world.
    Old 04-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #65
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

It would be awesome if they released a surprise album the day of the Cville show.
    Old 04-21-2016, 03:55 PM   #66
    BigEyedIdiot

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by #41Tom View Post
    [/B]

?? Where did that come from? pics or it didn't happen (i.e. explain please!)
    Roi quit the band during the second session with Batson. It took the band convincing Roi before the Vegas show to rejoin the band. That album session was so damn bad that Batson wouldn't even confirm or deny what the tracklist for the session was when I asked him, although I did get him to tell me that he recorded Shotgun, and Lillywhite told me he never got to touch that song (which shows us just how out of touch the band is.)
    BigEyedIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2016, 05:34 PM   #67
    DreamingStreets

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kelchlsm View Post
    And what about 92- 2000? You do realize that Dave wrote most of those songs on his own right?

http://www.allmusic.com/album/crash-mw0000185460
    The credits there are incorrect. The group wrote Too Much, #41, LIOG and Proudest Monkey together. Stefan also helped write Let You Down.
    DreamingStreets is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2016, 06:13 PM   #68
    Mr. Pineapple

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    Yep. In all of the wrong ways, but they were all involved for sure. I mean hell, pretty much everyone "wrote" or created a song...Well, at least Fonz, Boyd, Dave (duh), and Butch did I believe.
    And don't forget most importantly, Batson.
    I blew out my flip-flop. Passed a lil jagged rock./But it's a real beauty, a calcified cutie. How it got here, I haven't a clue. Tailgatin' away again in Pastramiville. Searchin' for my lost bottle of Tums. Some people think that there's the heartburn to blame. But I know. It's all Wegmans fault.
    Mr. Pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2016, 06:16 PM   #69
    Mr. Pineapple

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigEyedIdiot View Post
    Roi quit the band during the second session with Batson. It took the band convincing Roi before the Vegas show to rejoin the band. That album session was so damn bad that Batson wouldn't even confirm or deny what the tracklist for the session was when I asked him, although I did get him to tell me that he recorded Shotgun, and Lillywhite told me he never got to touch that song (which shows us just how out of touch the band is.)
    Interesting. I never knew that. Sound like Roi was the only guy in the band who had his creative wits about him during that period.
    I blew out my flip-flop. Passed a lil jagged rock./But it's a real beauty, a calcified cutie. How it got here, I haven't a clue. Tailgatin' away again in Pastramiville. Searchin' for my lost bottle of Tums. Some people think that there's the heartburn to blame. But I know. It's all Wegmans fault.
    Mr. Pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2016, 07:02 PM   #70
    DreamingStreets

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Pineapple View Post
    Interesting. I never knew that. Sound like Roi was the only guy in the band who had his creative wits about him during that period.
    If he was still with us, maybe he could have helped make AFTW better.
    DreamingStreets is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2016, 08:29 PM   #71
    BigEyedIdiot

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

[QUOTE=DreamingStreets;16383733]If he was still with us, maybe he could have helped make AFTW better.[/QUOTE

One would hope. That album went from having the band come in and record all the live tracks that people wanted to hear recorded, to Dave writing the tracks for it, saying this is what I want, and that was it. Wasn't it this album that Stefan referred to as Dave Matthews featuring The Dave Matthews Band?
    BigEyedIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2016, 08:41 PM   #72
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    It would be awesome if they released a surprise album the day of the Cville show.
    so they can play 11 new songs nobody knows at their "25th anniversary" show?

No fucking thanks.
    Old 04-21-2016, 10:32 PM   #73
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

This album seems to have been constantly worked on for what? Three straight years? Sessions of all the band, layering reports of only select members in the studio, I dont't think this has been like any other album they've worked on. So I certainly hope we hear it soon. Just to know the story behind this album is almost as intriguing as getting news of the album itself.
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2016, 11:01 PM   #74
    DMB1983

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

This is such sad thread. I'd like to believe we'll get something this year, or at least by the the end of it so we have something to listen to while they take a year off.

On the thoughts about producers... I think the label screwed up by forcing Dave out to write with Ballard. I get the idea was just to write one song to get creative juices flowing with Dave, but it just went the wrong direction. From then on the band has pretty much been lost. They couldn't do it again with Ballard because the band would break up with Dave. Batson was just a failed experiment. If Stand Up would have been followed with something else in 2006 that resembled the band in some fashion, I would have forgiven them.

Lillywhite tried his best. The band tried their best to recreate that magic. It didn't quite come out the same as the first three. Who knows what happened there. AFTW sounds rushed and it was. Recording the horn parts in one day, I knew it was too fast. There's no reason for that. It's like the band just wanted to record as fast as possible and run away.

But it was 3 plus years between BS and Stand Up and another 4 until BW. That's one shit album in 7 years. Kind of like the dry spell we're in right now. AFTW is not shit, but it's not holding the test of time. I do like listening to it on vinyl, but just for the sake of it.

What is really sad is that Dave isn't attempting on sharing any knew material. No solo songs. No new songs with Dave and Tim. Nothing with other musicians. I wonder if he's just going through a writers block and doesn't care. After reading the Guitar Aficionado with him in 2012, it made it sound like he was on a writing spree and hanging out in the studio making ideas. That article was 4 years ago What the hell happened?
    DMB1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2016, 03:30 AM   #75
    rantingthespian

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I'm still hoping that guy got to ask Jeff about the album. Do we have any word yet on this?

He's supposedly on these boards. Are you out there?

Last edited by rantingthespian; 04-22-2016 at 03:32 AM.
    rantingthespian is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2016, 06:51 AM   #76
    flutterby

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rantingthespian View Post
    I'm still hoping that guy got to ask Jeff about the album. Do we have any word yet on this?

He's supposedly on these boards. Are you out there?

If he did talk to him, the response was likely something like: We're writing and recording. Taking time to really get back to the music. Maybe this year or next. Really great time for the band.

Or something similar. Guarantee he didn't release any "breaking news".
    Old 04-22-2016, 08:14 AM   #77
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

It's not happening this year. They wouldn't release a studio album then take their first break from touring in 25 years. That would make no sense. Best case scenario for a new album would be them getting together in 17 to finish it or start over and come back with an early 2018 release followed by a tour.
    Old 04-22-2016, 08:30 AM   #78
    dmb2632
    Nick

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    It's not happening this year. They wouldn't release a studio album then take their first break from touring in 25 years. That would make no sense. Best case scenario for a new album would be them getting together in 17 to finish it or start over and come back with an early 2018 release followed by a tour.
    Unless it was an album chock full of the unreleased creamy-goodness of the '04, '06 and '09 songs - then it wouldn't really matter if they took a break after.
    "Get off bela, we wanna play one of our shit songs"
    dmb2632 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2016, 08:32 AM   #79
    Hilly

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Why not? They're not the only band that would have done that.

At the end of the day, it's revenue in the door. A new album isn't going to affect ticket sales that much these days. So releasing an album around a tour is pointless.
    Old 04-22-2016, 08:56 AM   #80
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post

At the end of the day, it's revenue in the door. A new album isn't going to affect ticket sales that much these days. So releasing an album around a tour is pointless.
    Can you give me examples of bands that have released an album of new songs and then didn't tour for reasons other than injury or death to a member?
    Old 04-22-2016, 09:25 AM   #81
    yemmyfriend

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Coldplay didn't tour after releasing Ghost Stories. Played a few shows but not an outright tour.
    yemmyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2016, 10:23 AM   #82
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMB1983 View Post
    AFTW is not shit, but it's not holding the test of time. I do like listening to it on vinyl, but just for the sake of it.
    It's just the CD cut to vinyl, you should frame it and put it on your wall just for the sake of it!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yemmyfriend View Post
    Coldplay didn't tour after releasing Ghost Stories. Played a few shows but not an outright tour.
    Yeah that was pretty weird, only 10 shows or something like that. BUT...at least they recorded the entire album being played live at Sony Studios in LA and released it on Blu-ray so we all got to experience that tiny unique show they did in our living rooms.

It's a great disc, lots of replay value. Midnight is really good.

Quote:
    Can you give me examples of bands that have released an album of new songs and then didn't tour for reasons other than injury or death to a member?
    The biggest band in history of course, The Beatles!!!!

No touring for Peppers, The Beatles, Abbey Road or Let It Be.

That said I agree with your assessment and think it's highly unlikely we'll get an album of NEW songs until we're within a few months of another tour. But an album of old songs?
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #83
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Totally different time period with The Beatles. Touring wasn't the same thing back then. But there will not be an album this year.
    Old 04-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #84
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    No, but you have to admit, for a band as known for its live performances as DMB, that would be a strange move.

Quote:
    Daft Punk. Bowie. Tom Waits.
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2016, 11:38 AM   #85
    RJBorg41

Shows Seen: 82

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I bet they're done for good if not for a long time after this tour.
    RJBorg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #86
    timsherry

My Tour Central Stats

So Jeff Coffin just posted on Instagram that he is in a studio right now and had the hashtag #DMB #davematthewsband

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEg2yFtg...-by=jeffcoffin
    timsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #87
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RJBorg41 View Post
    I bet they're done for good if not for a long time after this tour.

What makes you say that?
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2016, 12:06 PM   #88
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Totally different time period with The Beatles. Touring wasn't the same thing back then. But there will not be an album this year.
    Agreed on all accounts. Unless there's been more studio work done that hasn't been let out, DMB doesn't seem like the type of band that will release an album and not tour in support of it. They're well known for making new music and exploring it in a live setting. The second I heard about the break I immediately thought, well, there goes the chance at a new album. But stranger things have happened, so we'll see. I just don't think there's a lot of steam left in the tank for these guys. Whether they have fun on stage or not, or still sound great, I just think they've reached some kind of ending.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2016, 12:21 PM   #89
    IndyDMB

Shows Seen: 114

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    It's just the CD cut to vinyl
    Your post on Coffin's Instagram picture of the old recording device had me dying.
    IndyDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2016, 12:33 PM   #90
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I should add, I don't love this band any less than I ever have, but a huge part of the band died with Roi on 8/19/08. I will always enjoy shows and have always found enjoyment in new tunes, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of drive to get anything new out anytime soon.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote