Butch vs Buddy - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: Butch or Buddy?
Butch 90 40.54%
Buddy 120 54.05%
Neither 12 5.41%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2018, 05:28 PM   #31
Roose13
Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Butch vs Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
Feels like when they play the organ in between innings at Yankees games, lol

Tim’s solo is cool, but Buddy should just play a short piano solo after that if anything.
Dude, legit was waiting to yell "CHARGE!"

NHL Thread Banner
-2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
-2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
-2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
-2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-14-2018, 01:57 AM   #32
    Madnana
    Smoke the Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Peter!

But seriously, I liked Butch and what he brought to the band, but Buddy feels right for 2018. They needed someone new, something fresh. I was listening to the SPAC livestream tonight and damn, Buddy is literally on fire! He owned that Raven intro, rocked out Seek Up, and sang some sweet harmonies on Why I Am.
    Madnana is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2018, 05:12 AM   #33
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

He was literally on fire? Is he okay?
    Old 07-14-2018, 05:17 AM   #34
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Not really a fair fight. Butch was with the band for nearly a decade and knew the songs forwards and backwards. His fills and accompaniment were phenomenal, especially on songs like Grey St, Rapunzel, Pig, etc. Buddy's done some good stuff thus far, but the body of work is obviously nowhere near Butch's. And FFS, use more piano and less organ.
    mthawk07 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2018, 05:26 AM   #35
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Butch, clearly.

Buddy is not good.
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #36
    bigeyedpigs

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

I dont think its a fair comparison. The chemistry between butch, roi, carter, and fonz was remarkable, buddy simply doesn't have that a couple months into a tour. I also thing buddy is on a leash, where butch had more room to roam. If they continue this way I'd like to see what buddy, coffin, and carter develop going forward.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #37
    TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigeyedpigs View Post
    I dont think its a fair comparison. The chemistry between butch, roi, carter, and fonz was remarkable, buddy simply doesn't have that a couple months into a tour. I also thing buddy is on a leash, where butch had more room to roam. If they continue this way I'd like to see what buddy, coffin, and carter develop going forward.
    Old 07-14-2018, 04:45 PM   #38
    LetYouDown22
    LetYouDown22

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I prefer Butch strictly because there is a much, much larger sample. 2005 Butch, no bueno. 1999 - 2004, bueno.

Those that say Buddy just isn't good, I laughed very hard. Keep those comments coming.
    LetYouDown22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #39
    DMBCardinal

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Dave said about Buddy, "This is his first year touring with us, but it won't be the last." Awesome!
    DMBCardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #40
    aoeiifreak

My Tour Central Stats

Butch pre 2005. Also for the love of god DMB needs a violin.
    aoeiifreak is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2018, 11:10 PM   #41
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dankguitar View Post
    Don’t understand how people can like Buddy better than Butch at this point. He’s very talented and I love his energy on stage. I also appreciate how genuinely he seems honored to share that stage. That being said he has a ways to go with his fills. He’s already gotten much better and seem to be utilizing the natural piano sound more. But Butch’s fills were just absolute perfection for the sound of this band. Buddy isn’t close to that yet.
    Never enjoyed Butch. I like Buddy...it’s actually quite easy to understand.

Ever liking Butch is what throws me. . I didn’t enjoy his presence or playing. His playing lacked the dynamics that were so prevalent in/for the band.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2018, 05:22 AM   #42
    Madnana
    Smoke the Dreaming Tree

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    He was literally on fire? Is he okay?
    He thrives on it. He sets the whole damn stage on fire and laughs hysterically as it burns down to the ground.

That being said, he did fuck up the SAWG outro at SPAC, so I guess he is mortal afterall.
    Madnana is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2018, 08:13 PM   #43
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

I would prefer it if Buddy played more piano and less organ but he is great melodically, love how he plays over different things and he has a bit of the Robert Randolph stage presence
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2018, 09:24 PM   #44
    Titotimmy
    Lillywhite's Tapeworm

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Butch purely for sample reasons, things like Linus and Lucy were simply classic but I do love what Buddy has given to DMB this tour.

Fun thing is it's only going to get better. I think he really loves playing for this band vs. the pop nonsense he was used to. Give him another year or two to really sink his teeth into this catalog and I bet you I'll be back itt changing my answer.

R.I.P. Last Stop 4/8/1998 - 9/1/2018
    Titotimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2018, 09:43 PM   #45
    LaLaLaLaHey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Madnana View Post
    He thrives on it. He sets the whole damn stage on fire and laughs hysterically as it burns down to the ground.

That being said, he did fuck up the SAWG outro at SPAC, so I guess he is mortal afterall.
    That was Carter's fault. Stefan went with Buddy & Carter played some extra beats haha
    Old 07-15-2018, 09:44 PM   #46
    AllifromOhio
    Formerly known as

Shows Seen: 97

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Buddy pretty easily for me.
    Considering stopping after my #100 show. Should I?
    AllifromOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2018, 10:05 PM   #47
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    Butch, clearly.

Buddy is not good.
    I don't get the problem with buddy, other then him using organ a bit too much.
    tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2018, 10:08 PM   #48
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

I wonder if Buddy has been studying Butch era dmb just to get a feel for it?
    Or is he practicing songs 100% blind.
    Old 07-15-2018, 10:26 PM   #49
    LaLaLaLaHey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    I wonder if Buddy has been studying Butch era dmb just to get a feel for it?
    Or is he practicing songs 100% blind.

I mean he was using Spotify to practice songs so I’m sure some of them were from that era at the least
    Old 07-15-2018, 10:34 PM   #50
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jake.sager View Post
    I mean he was using Spotify to practice songs so I’m sure some of them were from that era at the least
    Now that you mention this I remember it. Yeah your probably right. Just a quistion I thought of.
    Old 07-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #51
    gakm7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LetYouDown22 View Post
    Those that say Buddy just isn't good, I laughed very hard. Keep those comments coming.
    Buddy fucking got me to enjoy Stand Up (specifically the outro), and he's reinvigorated Bayou to a feeling that it hasn't exuded since 2005 ......... That's all that needs to be said for me to brag him up...

I'd say Buddy wins in a landslide, especially given the fact that he's only been around for a couple months and will probably keep improving chemistry with the band as he gets more time with them. One negative I can come up with is that he seems to be trying to do too much (BOWA is an example, and Granny might be another)... sometimes there needs to be space and not notes constantly being played, but I think that will come with time...

Tim had periods of doing the same thing, and he's gotten better about that, and I think the addition of Buddy has REALLY helped him this tour in terms of just toning it down a bit... I'll also add that Sledgehammer sounds AMAZING this tour compared to the one's where Tim would have to make all the organ noises... Now Tim can just lay down the groove while the organ handles the soloing and such... now just if Dave had the Sledgehammer voice that he had ten years ago...

While still good, and most areas of his voice have improved quite a bit (especially since 2005-2007, and bits and pieces of 2002-2004) with the vocal training he's been doing, there's a certain section of his voice which is just "gone" now (and has been for a few years, at least since 2013 for sure, if not earlier)... I'd say it's the "almost-upper range" part of his voice when he gets louder... it will dissolve away unless he changes his "scream" into a falsetto scream (he doesn't have the full voiced raspy scream anymore) Examples of it being gone would be the more current Bartenders and WYA's, and the outros of 2018 Sledgehammers. -- Examples of it "being there" would be '02-07 WYA's, Bartenders, etc... I realize he's 51 and I don't really "care" that much, but it's an observation and it's what it is. He still kills it at 51, mind you... especially compared to Bon Jovi who, while improved from '13-'17 when it was it's worst, hasn't been "serviceable" since after 2010, and hasn't had his "real" voice since probably 1995...

Butch, while he was good at fills and soft piano work, REALLY bored me with a number of his solos, especially his long, slow, drawn out LIOG and Two Step solos... I do, however, give him props for the Linus and Lucy bits he used to occasionally do from '98-'00 or whenever...

In short, I've been enjoying Buddy A LOT, and am glad we have him instead of Butch... And I'm actually kinda glad Boyd is gone because it's become obvious to me that Boyd was holding the band back musically... he's just not in the same league as the other guys anymore, if he ever really was...

Last edited by gakm7; 07-16-2018 at 08:40 AM.
    gakm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-16-2018, 08:44 AM   #52
    gakm7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I would prefer it if Buddy played more piano and less organ but he is great melodically, love how he plays over different things and he has a bit of the Robert Randolph stage presence
    I was thinking this during the SPAC webcast... he has a presence and energy about him, like RR does.
    gakm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-16-2018, 09:05 AM   #53
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

I find the complaints about the organ seeming to come from what many fans are familiar with as opposed to whether it's a good fit for songs. I like organ sounds and think Buddy does great things with them. It's pretty safe to assume that if DMB wanted a player to sound like Butch they could have brought him back or hired someone to play that role. From what's being played and how much the guys are liking it, it's pretty clear that want Buddy to do what he's doing.

And that's what I've said regarding any potential replacement on violin. That's not going to sound the same either because they aren't going to hire a player and confine them to copping Boyd's parts. They'll hire a musician and let them speak with their voice. Of course they'll hit on the orchestrated parts and tip their hats to Boyd's memorable melodies as various songs dictate, but they will play and sound significantly different and so will the tunes w/ violin.

Anyway, Buddy is killer and I'm loving what he does.

So, Dave's announcement "First time on tour with us...this will not be the last" (37:34)...did anyone else get the feeling it might have been the unofficial public statement that not only that Buddy's around for while, but that it was (or might have been) the first time he'd gotten that news? Probably not, but his immediate reaction (not on the video) seemed to be a bit of surprise followed by the joy seen in the video.
    Old 07-16-2018, 09:07 AM   #54
    dmb2632
    Nick

My Tour Central Stats

Buddy would be a lock for me if he more frequently used a piano sound. Some songs soak up his synth and organ really well, but others are thirsty for some natural piano.
    "Get off bela, we wanna play one of our shit songs"
    dmb2632 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #55
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gakm7 View Post
    In short, I've been enjoying Buddy A LOT, and am glad we have him instead of Butch... And I'm actually kinda glad Boyd is gone because it's become obvious to me that Boyd was holding the band back musically... he's just not in the same league as the other guys anymore, if he ever really was...
    While I think this is true as a continually creative and evolving musician, Boyd was the perfect violin for DMB. It's 100% guarantee that his replacement will be a far better player, but they won't have the same sound/voice.

I'm surprised how much I've been enjoying Buddy since I had little use for Butch. But that's just how it is w/ musicians. It's not about their ability, but whether they speak to you. Butch didn't and Buddy does. More groove and feel. Can't wait to hear how it evolves.
    Old 07-16-2018, 09:24 AM   #56
    Cobo

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    I liked what Butch brought to 98-2004 DMB more, but I think I am enjoying Buddy more than 2005-2007 Butch so far.
    This. I think Buddy has backed off the effects a bit and is playing more basic organ and piano which I really like. It sounded really bad at the beginning of the tour but he's starting to fit in nicely.
    Cobo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #57
    BringBackButchT

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    So, Dave's announcement "First time on tour with us...this will not be the last" (37:34)...did anyone else get the feeling it might have been the unofficial public statement that not only that Buddy's around for while, but that it was (or might have been) the first time he'd gotten that news? Probably not, but his immediate reaction (not on the video) seemed to be a bit of surprise followed by the joy seen in the video.

I thought the exact same thing. They both seemed to have a moment at the end pointing to each other.

I'm a fan of Butch and I miss certain things about his playing, mostly parts I had come to really enjoy. Little things like the stuff on the end of Rapunzel that Buddy doesn't replicate. But he's putting his own spin on things and sounding great. There's also something to be said for the fact that he's a younger guy with a different musical background. He's going to approach things in a different way and breathe some new life into tunes. I'm glad he's in the band.
    BringBackButchT is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #58
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

I agree with the "i'd rather him play piano more, but overall he is good" sentiment
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #59
    treyt42754

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

This is a tough poll. Im a professional pianist/keyboardist and fell in love with DMB because of Butch's wah klav on Too Much from Listener Supported, the first track I ever heard from this group, so to say I have an affection for Butch is a huge understatement. But Buddy is great. I believe Butch fits in with the original sound a lot better. Buddy sounds like a guy who really had never heard of DMB through the years and totally approached it with fresh ears and a lot of his stuff works great. I think Butch filled out the sound much, much better, in fact the Butch with DMB is still my favorite the group has ever sounded. It was full, tasteful and often barely even there stuff. Buddy takes way more chances than Butch ever did and there's a lot of reward to it. The stuff he does on Stand UP and some other upbeat songs is more exciting than what Butch ever did, but a lot of the stuff he adds just doesn't really work yet. Reminds me of Tim back in the 90s playing just nonsense effect and stuff that didn't accomplish anything except add noise. I like Buddy's B3 playing better than Butch's, but I like the tone settings Butch used on the B3 more than Buddy.

Still way too early to tell on Buddy but I enjoy them both very much. Buddy has also filled a much needed energy gap with Boyd leaving. I can only imagine Butch trying to replace Boyd's stage presence haha
    treyt42754 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-16-2018, 02:58 PM   #60
    Bmwm3oz

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by treyt42754 View Post
    This is a tough poll. Im a professional pianist/keyboardist and fell in love with DMB because of Butch's wah klav on Too Much from Listener Supported, the first track I ever heard from this group, so to say I have an affection for Butch is a huge understatement. But Buddy is great. I believe Butch fits in with the original sound a lot better. Buddy sounds like a guy who really had never heard of DMB through the years and totally approached it with fresh ears and a lot of his stuff works great. I think Butch filled out the sound much, much better, in fact the Butch with DMB is still my favorite the group has ever sounded. It was full, tasteful and often barely even there stuff. Buddy takes way more chances than Butch ever did and there's a lot of reward to it. The stuff he does on Stand UP and some other upbeat songs is more exciting than what Butch ever did, but a lot of the stuff he adds just doesn't really work yet. Reminds me of Tim back in the 90s playing just nonsense effect and stuff that didn't accomplish anything except add noise. I like Buddy's B3 playing better than Butch's, but I like the tone settings Butch used on the B3 more than Buddy.

Still way too early to tell on Buddy but I enjoy them both very much. Buddy has also filled a much needed energy gap with Boyd leaving. I can only imagine Butch trying to replace Boyd's stage presence haha

Butch seemed pretty shy/reserved.

I like what you said and think it speaks mostly to what's going on.
    Bmwm3oz is offline   Reply With Quote