Effect of the Internet On Dave - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-02-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
Suits Succk

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Effect of the Internet On Dave

As a new fan ( to most of your guys standards, i've listened to dave for about 3 years now), how do you think the internet (itunes,limewire,etc) changed dave?

Now i know songs got around through tapes in the early 90's but now, when new fans arise, they can easily download CP or any album for that matter and get a tiny part of the experience. I feel like, being a fan in the 90's was probably alot more fun and unpredictable..i'm not saying having access to thousand of live dave shows is bad..but imagine hearing Dont Drink from CP with only hearing the studio version and lets say 2 live shows prior. It would be incredible, granted it's incredible either way, im just saying that it would be over the top if you havent heard it that much before. It's almost like now we're spoiled with being able to hear and download any time dave speaks.

The downloading age has produced alot more fans and has been so great to us to listen to our favorite artists. But, i feel spoiled having all these great performances at my fingertips, it in no way downgrades the live experience, but i think we take it for granted. If i was a fan since 95 lets say, i would feel alot i guess loyal to listening to dave and tell stories of "back in my day, we couldnt just download dave and tim from radio city". downloading made dave bigger and better, but was it better back in the day just having actual tapes floating around?

Does anyone else think really far into things when theyre ripped?

if you didnt understand the thread, just let it die in the boards, if you understood me somehow, thank you.
Suits Succk is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-02-2009, 12:35 AM   #2
    WaltzingBack

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Effect of the Internet On Dave

i definitely agree. lately, the only reason people have been bored by Two Step & #41, arguably DMB's most anthemic songs along with Ants Marching, is because they download and listen to every single version that's played. if we only heard one version of each of those songs from this year, we'd be completely blown away. but the downloading has made everything predictable and kind of stale. that's why i don't download that much so when i see shows, i don't know how the jam's gonna be.
    WaltzingBack is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-02-2009, 12:36 AM   #3
    DMBartenderWI
    God is not above you

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I understand what you're saying completely, man. I was a fan starting around the time UTTAD was released, and it's completely different now that I have more than those first few albums to listen to over and over again. The internet is a beautiful thing though and all DMB fans should consider themselves lucky that the band is so generous in allowing their stuff to be taped and freely traded, etc. But as the above poster said having access to 18,000 different versions of a song does dilute some of them. Not all though. I never get sick of hearing any live version of Bartender or Minarets, for example.

I do rip music that I'm only a "casual fan" of but have never ripped a DMB studio album unfairly (IMO) since I own them all anyways.

The internet is also amazing for opening the band up to such a wider audience, including countries that DMB never get to or only get to rarely.

Last edited by DMBartenderWI; 09-02-2009 at 12:39 AM.
    DMBartenderWI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-02-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
    danastacy

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Well, I'm sure it's changed Dave's opinion about 'damn computers gonna blow up the world' (or however that classic Davespeak goes).
    DMB is a band whose live show experience cannot be duplicated digitally.
    danastacy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-02-2009, 12:43 AM   #5
    Suits Succk

My Tour Central Stats

thanks guys....does having 40 different two steps take away from it when your at the concert..no, maybe very very slightly. But i've come to found that ill skip over the Ants,Two Step, Nancies, all the songs you have a boatload of, to listen to other songs. There comes to a point where you know all the words to all the intro's of the money maker songs that you should say, i am alittle spoiled. Crush is an example where at a concert i lke it alot, in the back of my head im saying how many times have i heard this,..until the jam.

Its weird to think how different it would be if the band was created during this new age of downloading and ripping, or how diff it would be if itunes and such still wasnt created.
    Old 09-02-2009, 12:49 AM   #6
    DMBartenderWI
    God is not above you

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by danastacy View Post
    Well, I'm sure it's changed Dave's opinion about 'damn computers gonna blow up the world' (or however that classic Davespeak goes).
    DMB is a band whose live show experience cannot be duplicated digitally.
    Spot on.
    DMBartenderWI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-02-2009, 12:56 AM   #7
    Suits Succk

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBartenderWI View Post
    Spot on.

agreed full extent...but you could imagine if certain songs that you've only heard lets say 4 versions, were played live how great it would be..ithis is gettin alittle off topic.

Real message is as dave fans now we are spoiled to be able to just click any version of any song from any year. Must have been great to be a fan in the mid to late 90's..

I say this cause what hooked me into dave was hearing a live version of pig after hearing the studio for awhile, which when "come sister" comes, it takes over my mind lol, but hearing that was just incredible.. Show me a concert that goes Seek up, stay or leave, pig, you never know, two step, and re plays those 5 songs, over 4 times the entire show..i will still pay big money to see the show.
    Old 09-02-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
    Billie'sTV
    JayBTV

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

How about the Effect of Dave on the Internet.

Think of all the millions of bytes Dave has manipulated via show downloads/uploads......I'd say more than any other artist thanks to his fans and their desire to strive for the best audio quality (lossless)....
    Billie'sTV is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #9
    dantefab

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Great discussion, Suits Suck!

I completely agree with your thought process. It's hard to not be spoiled with everything at our fingertips.

My good friend and I were talking about this the other night. We remember waiting weeks for B& P's or trades for cassettes that often weren't that good in sound quality. The anticipation was great, sometimes a let down, but often like Christmas!

I've tried to develop a new attitude when listening to live DMB as of late. I'll treat a show as an album instead of clicking through tracks looking for highlights of that show. Someone mentioned on here not too long....it's not necessarily the set of the show, but the ENERGY the band had that night that is important. I NEVER looked at it that way after all these years and happy who ever that person was put it in those words.

Interesting how I just had this discussion the other night. All in all, the 90's setlists were not as predictable to me because I was not on the computer every single day. My friend and I both agreed just how lucky we are to be huge fans and to have the access to things we DO now.
    dantefab is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #10
    berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

wellllll steaming shows are fing awesome
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998
    berman1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #11
    Suits Succk

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dantefab View Post
    Great discussion, Suits Suck!

I completely agree with your thought process. It's hard to not be spoiled with everything at our fingertips.

My good friend and I were talking about this the other night. We remember waiting weeks for B& P's or trades for cassettes that often weren't that good in sound quality. The anticipation was great, sometimes a let down, but often like Christmas!

I've tried to develop a new attitude when listening to live DMB as of late. I'll treat a show as an album instead of clicking through tracks looking for highlights of that show. Someone mentioned on here not too long....it's not necessarily the set of the show, but the ENERGY the band had that night that is important. I NEVER looked at it that way after all these years and happy who ever that person was put it in those words.

Interesting how I just had this discussion the other night. All in all, the 90's setlists were not as predictable to me because I was not on the computer every single day. My friend and I both agreed just how lucky we are to be huge fans and to have the access to things we DO now.
    Thats what i was thinking too, back in the 90's what was being listened to was probably not the best quality..and now we get clear concerts on our computers....those setlists back then we're probably so unpredictable, and also probably less argue'd about. lol
    Old 09-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #12
    harryhoudini
    I'm Batman

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

i remember being a fan pre-internet access and it was a different world. my friend was into tape trading and i remember the first d&t passion intro to warehouse he played for me. i thought my head was going to explode it was so awesome and new and out there. now i have heard a dozen different versions and that inaccessibility is gone. i know where to get more.

so yes, i completely agree with this sentiment.
    Old 09-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #13
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

i started a thread much like this a month or so ago.

http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/sh...d.php?t=260899

it was pretty interesting to talk about.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #14
    matt noga

Shows Seen: 275

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

best thread ever! seen the band 153 times now since 1997 and I am on both sides of the impact the internet did with Dave. Back in '97-'99, I was buying bootlegs from stores for $60-$90 a show, and i couldn't wait to buy another one and listen to them. loved it. Now with 50 versions of #41, yes it takes a little something away if you listen to shows that are from the same tour. But when its '09 and your listening to an old show that you were at back in '98 with a version of a old 4 minutes intro of OSW, than your loving life thinking how fun those versions were and how much the band has grown and changed the shit out of so many songs. IMO!!!

"Box Your Yesterdays Away"
    matt noga is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-02-2009, 10:45 PM   #15
    twostep721
    goodjobwith#41wow

Shows Seen: 122

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt noga View Post
    best thread ever! seen the band 153 times now since 1997 and I am on both sides of the impact the internet did with Dave. Back in '97-'99, I was buying bootlegs from stores for $60-$90 a show, and i couldn't wait to buy another one and listen to them. loved it. Now with 50 versions of #41, yes it takes a little something away if you listen to shows that are from the same tour. But when its '09 and your listening to an old show that you were at back in '98 with a version of a old 4 minutes intro of OSW, than your loving life thinking how fun those versions were and how much the band has grown and changed the shit out of so many songs. IMO!!!
    Wow I'm jealous. nice job
    Old 09-03-2009, 05:49 AM   #16
    LIOGBOWA
    LIOGBOWA

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I think the internet has made it more exciting and made us feel like much more of a community. For example, say Carter had an insane drum solo in a show 12 years ago. It would have been much more of an undertaking to get your hands on that recording as opposed to the fifteen minutes it took for me to get that show downloaded and burned onto a CD-RW for my drive to work that day. Then I get home and check the boards and see everyone raving about it and discussing it and other easily-gotten recordings. So while things are more cheaply gotten today, I do not feel that they are cheaply held by the fans.
    LIOGBOWA is offline   Reply With Quote