C’Ville Sight Seeing - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-24-2023, 06:04 AM   #1
terjon2604

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

C’Ville Sight Seeing

I’m planning a trip to Charlottesville for spring break and wanted to see if there are any sights I should try to see other than the obvious Miller’s,JPJ and Warehouse? Any help would be great
"not only is he the baddest drummer i ever heard in my life, but he's also the best singer i ever heard in my life. He could fry an egg back there and sing a ballad to y'all, and play the baddest drums you ever heard.'' ~ Dave about Carter, 2.24.95
terjon2604 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-24-2023, 07:17 AM   #2
    Gunz

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Re: C’Ville Sight Seeing

You want reggae? They got reggae, mon.
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2023, 10:31 AM   #3
    firedancerchick

Shows Seen: 101

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

If you’re talking DMB-related, you could check out Dave’s winery Blenheim. It’s a pretty spot! He designs some of the bottle designs. And they play DMB in the bathrooms lol
    firedancerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2023, 11:23 AM   #4
    Jamima2fl
    Take me Back...

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I'd recommend eating at Bodo's Bagels EVERYDAY... get the Caesar and crush your breath like a local.

Kardinal Hall is a great place to hangout near the downtown mall, lots of beer taps and food...

The downtown mall is an outdoor streetscape for pedestrians with variety of restaurants, bars, and shops and an amphitheater at the end.
    - Miller's, Jefferson Theater, Amphitheater has some DMB history but don't expect any prominent displays
    - The Pink Warehouse is a block off the downtown mall (South Street Brewery is next door to it)

I highly recommend checking out the UVA Campus, particularly "The Lawn"
    - The Rotunda is located here, Edgar Allen Poe's room is on display, and Jefferson's serpentine walls outside of the lawn host pretty secret gardens

If you are making the trip to Blenheim, perhaps consider stopping by Carter's Mountain for some views & apple picking / cider / occasional concerts

For Vineyards... I enjoy the scenery at Pippin Hill the most (it won't hurt to make a reservation for space), and King Family Vineyards is a good spot with lots of events (polo)

It's unlikely you'll have any DMB sightings while you're there but they do happen, I've seen members on my last 2 trips to Cville. It's EXTREMELY important to recognize that Cville residents leave them alone...

So be cool and stay calm should you see a member... a nod or low-key wave will do, let them approach you if they're in the mood. Just remember they are home, doing regular people things.

Have fun... not sure what the weather is like at the moment but Spring is a welcomed vibe. If the winter is longer it may be a bit grey with chilly weather and rains. Late Spring early Summer is peak VA for me
    Jamima2fl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2023, 12:39 PM   #5
    terjon2604

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by firedancerchick View Post
    If you’re talking DMB-related, you could check out Dave’s winery Blenheim. It’s a pretty spot! He designs some of the bottle designs. And they play DMB in the bathrooms lol
    Cool thanks. I will check that out. I love wine
    "not only is he the baddest drummer i ever heard in my life, but he's also the best singer i ever heard in my life. He could fry an egg back there and sing a ballad to y'all, and play the baddest drums you ever heard.'' ~ Dave about Carter, 2.24.95
    Old 03-24-2023, 12:39 PM   #6
    terjon2604

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jamima2fl View Post
    I'd recommend eating at Bodo's Bagels EVERYDAY... get the Caesar and crush your breath like a local.

Kardinal Hall is a great place to hangout near the downtown mall, lots of beer taps and food...

The downtown mall is an outdoor streetscape for pedestrians with variety of restaurants, bars, and shops and an amphitheater at the end.
    - Miller's, Jefferson Theater, Amphitheater has some DMB history but don't expect any prominent displays
    - The Pink Warehouse is a block off the downtown mall (South Street Brewery is next door to it)

- The Rotunda is located here, Edgar Allen Poe's room is on display, and Jefferson's serpentine walls outside of the lawn host pretty secret gardens

If you are making the trip to Blenheim, perhaps consider stopping by Carter's Mountain for some views & apple picking / cider / occasional concerts

For Vineyards... I enjoy the scenery at Pippin Hill the most (it won't hurt to make a reservation for space), and King Family Vineyards is a good spot with lots of events (polo)

It's unlikely you'll have any DMB sightings while you're there but they do happen, I've seen members on my last 2 trips to Cville. It's EXTREMELY important to recognize that Cville residents leave them alone...

So be cool and stay calm should you see a member... a nod or low-key wave will do, let them approach you if they're in the mood. Just remember they are home, doing regular people things.

Have fun... not sure what the weather is like at the moment but Spring is a welcomed vibe. If the winter is longer it may be a bit grey with chilly weather and rains. Late Spring early Summer is peak VA for me
    Awesome thanks!!
    Old 03-24-2023, 12:56 PM   #7
    dmb_1981

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jamima2fl View Post

I've been a couple times and this is solid info. That being said, spend some time at Millers, it's too cool.

Last edited by dmb_1981; 03-24-2023 at 12:57 PM.
    dmb_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2023, 04:20 PM   #8
    dmbolp
    GO GATORS!!!

Shows Seen: 150

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Miller's has a great black/blue burger
    dmbolp is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2023, 04:59 PM   #9
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Downtown mall is great. I love cville. Could go just for a long weekend
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-26-2023, 12:25 AM   #10
    dpduke5173

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

This thread is making me crave a Cville fall 2-nighter. Hopefully better weather than 2018.
    Old 03-26-2023, 07:16 AM   #11
    hurley711

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

You can visit Roi's grave and leave a penny. Just be respectful. The manager working there was very nice in showing us the way to his site. Again paying a visit as a respectful gesture loving the man's music is welcomed. Above posters are correct definitely Miller's and Dave's vineyard for sure. Trax unfortunately has been demolished. It was located near CSX at 11th Street SW near UVA. Monticello is a great visit if you like history and not too far off. I'd put that on the list as well!
    hurley711 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-26-2023, 04:04 PM   #12
    birdsfan09
    O's/Ravens/Caps/Terps

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

To reiterate what others have said: Monticello is great if you have interest in history and/or architecture. Blehneim is enjoyable. UVA is beautiful. The Fralin Art Museum on campus is solid (especially considering the free admission). Brazos Tacos has great food and is owned by Peter Greiser. Breakfast at Bodo's is a MUST. Ace BBQ and Biscuit also has a nice breakfast. Great dinner spots (IMO) are: Oakhart Social, The Local, and Birdhouse. I ate at Whiskey Jar once and in addition to good BBQ, they had a bluegrass band playing (not sure if that's a regular occurrence). Strolling the downtown mall is a lot of fun. If you enjoy the outdoors, there are hikes for all skill levels at Shenandoah Nat. Park. Cville is a fantastic town, enjoy.
    birdsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-27-2023, 06:24 AM   #13
    hurley711

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

They also have a mean Chik Fil A in town.
    hurley711 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-29-2023, 06:19 PM   #14
    BigEyedIdiot

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by birdsfan09 View Post
    To reiterate what others have said: Monticello is great if you have interest in history and/or architecture. Blehneim is enjoyable. UVA is beautiful. The Fralin Art Museum on campus is solid (especially considering the free admission). Brazos Tacos has great food and is owned by Peter Greiser. Breakfast at Bodo's is a MUST. Ace BBQ and Biscuit also has a nice breakfast. Great dinner spots (IMO) are: Oakhart Social, The Local, and Birdhouse. I ate at Whiskey Jar once and in addition to good BBQ, they had a bluegrass band playing (not sure if that's a regular occurrence). Strolling the downtown mall is a lot of fun. If you enjoy the outdoors, there are hikes for all skill levels at Shenandoah Nat. Park. Cville is a fantastic town, enjoy.
    Brazos Tacos was wild to me. As someone from Texas, Virginia tacos are....different. But it was pretty good. UVA is a great place for a walk, and Bodo's is a can't miss.
    BigEyedIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-30-2023, 07:15 PM   #15
    dancheatham

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

As a lifelong Virginia resident, I have no clue what "Virginia tacos" are.
    Old 03-31-2023, 05:32 AM   #16
    Beauford3641

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by birdsfan09 View Post
    I'm planning on making the pilgrimage next year, probably around the fall season. I fully intend on doing all of these things. I'm not sure if I'm gonna drive down from RI or take the train down and rent a car. I'm leaning towards the train option, because train travel is my favorite kind of travel.
    Beauford3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2023, 09:27 PM   #17
    specialkd24

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Some good recommendations above. We vacationed at Lake Anna last year and did a bunch of things in Charlottesville.

If anybody you are with likes bourbon, Ragged Branch Distillery is nearby. Beautiful grounds and some tasty product.
    specialkd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-01-2023, 04:02 PM   #18
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Bodo's is the best bagel I ever had. I've lived in NYC area for the past 9 years, too.

Monticello is rad.

Miller's overrated. The mall is nice. RIP Mono Loco. Was awesome getting in teh Ants party underage
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-02-2023, 01:38 PM   #19
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    Bodo's is the best bagel I ever had. I've lived in NYC area for the past 9 years, too.

Monticello is rad.

Miller's overrated. The mall is nice. RIP Mono Loco. Was awesome getting in teh Ants party underage
    Couldn't disagree more.
    OneSweetMonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-02-2023, 04:22 PM   #20
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    Couldn't disagree more.
    great678
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-03-2023, 08:46 AM   #21
    oceanrac

Shows Seen: 88

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapTour/...5d705dbae0f447

i made this a while ago for the 25th anniversary tour put its still up.
    oceanrac is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-03-2023, 09:02 AM   #22
    #40BigEyedFish

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

you could go down to the spot where Trax was but now i think its a UVA parking garage.
    #40BigEyedFish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-03-2023, 09:03 AM   #23
    #40BigEyedFish

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Millers on Thursdays i believe still do live music w/ John D'Earth performing.
    #40BigEyedFish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-03-2023, 09:05 AM   #24
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by #40BigEyedFish View Post
    Millers on Thursdays i believe still do live music w/ John D'Earth performing.
    That was still happening in 2021. Couldn't speak for right now, but I'm sure it hasn't changed.
    OneSweetMonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-08-2023, 07:58 PM   #25
    terjon2604

My Tour Central Stats

thanks everyone for your suggestions. we had a great time and got to see all the spots. will definitely be going back. hopefully for a show. maybe this fall? lets hope
    Old 04-09-2023, 08:51 AM   #26
    birdsfan09
    O's/Ravens/Caps/Terps

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

I'm always hoping for a C'ville 2-nighter
    birdsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2023, 06:36 PM   #27
    Jimi47