DMB Live at the Hollywood Bowl 9/10/2018 - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > Live Releases

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 10-08-2019, 04:22 PM   #61
Doodahman

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB Live at the Hollywood Bowl 9/10/2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMilberg View Post
I agree. With DMB having released so many 2018 shows recently, I think all of us want the band to release shows from different years/eras before another 2018 show, but this show is at least quite unique.

Members of the orchestra guest on FIVE songs. Mark Batson guests on TWO songs (the only time he has EVER guested with DMB).

One Sweet World, #41, Jimi Thing, Crash, Ants, WWYS, Everyday, DDTW and Watchtower are played for the fans who want to hear the classics.

And it has great cover art.

In 5 years, when we've got 4 or 5 releases from every year in the band's history (so having 4 2018 releases isn't so odd), I think people will appreciate this album more than right now.
Cool! Mark Batson might as well be Justin Bieber. Doesn't make it exciting to have a lousy guest. All guests are not equal. The symphony songs weren't all that great except for Here on Out.
Doodahman is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-08-2019, 04:43 PM   #62
    showtime15

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

The only high light if this fucking release is the red rocks inspired art work. It's shame tho because I will never see the art work because by no means will I ever fucking purchase this.
    Old 10-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #63
    dMbJam
    Slow Hand Quickens

Shows Seen: 65

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

So will this only be on vinyl after RSD?
    dMbJam is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-08-2019, 05:16 PM   #64
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    I think 4,000 copies does sell out in a week’s time.
    Eh, depends on price point. It took over a week for Live 25 to sell out 2,500 copies at a $175 price point and that was available online and had die-hard fan appeal. This release, if following the LT/Red Rocks/Luther releases in pricing, will be $80+ (maybe up to $100 since it is a 5LP). Who is really buying this outside of hard core DMB completionists?

Remember, this is being sold only at brick and mortar stores on a day in which most people are shopping elsewhere for Christmas gifts and huge discounts on electronics. Some stores put up excess stock online in the days after, some don't.

I think 4k copies, for what this is, is a TON. And then it'll get a web release (maybe retail?) too, as it is an "RSD First" rather than "RSD Exclusive"

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-08-2019, 05:58 PM   #65
    MR_ESTEVEZ
    Fan since June 1995

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

no violin = no purchase
    MR_ESTEVEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #66
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

DMB Hollywood Bowl ISO List
    Names added in order that they asked to be on the ISO list. Click the name to send that user a PM if you have a copy for them.

bballman720
    RSSR
    chadizzy1
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-08-2019, 07:24 PM   #67
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    I think 4,000 copies does sell out in a week’s time.
    I think you’ll find it at stores after Christmas if you really looked. 4000 is decent and this release stinks. Maybe 5 people here think it’s solid
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-08-2019, 07:39 PM   #68
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    Fans: Put out the 2007 Hollywood Bowl show

Management: You got it. The 2018 Hollywood Bowl show it is!
    Lol thought this too

First I saw Hollywood bowl so I go wow an 07 show on vinyl. I look to my left and see 2018 and just roll my eyes

Classic dmb management
    Old 10-09-2019, 06:43 AM   #69
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    I think you’ll find it at stores after Christmas if you really looked. 4000 is decent and this release stinks. Maybe 5 people here think it’s solid

I wonder if people will buy it just to collect?
    Old 10-09-2019, 06:45 AM   #70
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    so I go wow an 07 show on vinyl. I look to my left and see 2018 and just roll my eyes

Ah, yes. Fans have been clamoring for a 2007 show. Everyone here has always loved 2007.
    Old 10-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #71
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    Ah, yes. Fans have been clamoring for a 2007 show. Everyone here has always loved 2007.
    Who was clamoring for a 2018 release?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-09-2019, 08:01 AM   #72
    DEMITRI

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Add me to the iso list please
    DEMITRI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-09-2019, 08:03 AM   #73
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

From what I can tell, the only people complaining about it are the people who frequent Ants, which probably represents about 5% or less of DMB's fan base. I think the mass appeal among the general DMB fan base will be much higher, which is who this release is targeted for. This isn't a Live Trax or DMBLive release, which are intended for the hardcore fans. This is a wide, commercial "Live at..." release. Just accept the fact that not every release will cater to DMB fans who frequent Antsmarching.org.

Also, we literally just got a 1998 vinyl release from one of the best shows in the band's history a few weeks ago. That's really not good enough?
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-09-2019, 08:13 AM   #74
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

DMB Hollywood Bowl ISO List
    Names added in order that they asked to be on the ISO list. To be added - PM or reply in this thread. Click the name to send that user a PM if you have a copy for them.

bballman720
    RSSR
    chadizzy1
    MadTown T (via PM)
    DEMITRI
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-09-2019, 08:25 AM   #75
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    07 sucked

Hollywood bowl and Camden did not. And that when it was still real dmb.
    Old 10-09-2019, 08:27 AM   #76
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    From what I can tell, the only people complaining about it are the people who frequent Ants, which probably represents about 5% or less of DMB's fan base. I think the mass appeal among the general DMB fan base will be much higher, which is who this release is targeted for. This isn't a Live Trax or DMBLive release, which are intended for the hardcore fans. This is a wide, commercial "Live at..." release. Just accept the fact that not every release will cater to DMB fans who frequent Antsmarching.org.

Also, we literally just got a 1998 vinyl release from one of the best shows in the band's history a few weeks ago. That's really not good enough?
    Well, the good news is it should be super easy to come by. This is not a good release but I get why you’re defending it. Always cool when a show you attend gets any sort of release much less vinyl

People flood management for the big time shows and this is what gets pushed out? On RSD no less? Seems random. Nobody ever talked about this show. It looks like generic 2018 which means it’s extremely shitty.

And for some reason it’s for venue sake then why not 2007? That’s a show everyone loves and wanted at some point. I would’ve preferred camden but HB would’ve been my 2nd choice from that summer. Again, at least that’s real dmb

Last edited by crashintonickdm; 10-09-2019 at 08:30 AM.
    Old 10-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #77
    Doodahman

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Did they consider releasing the 2007 Hollywood Bowl show, and while they were they remembered DMB just played there last year so they should just release it instead! People want the new shows.
    Doodahman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-09-2019, 08:43 AM   #78
    Madnana
    Smoke the Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MR_ESTEVEZ View Post
    no violin = no purchase
    Well, you're in luck then! This show has THREE violins! I assume that means you'll be buying 3 copies of this.
    Madnana is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #79
    alec

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Can you add me to the ISO list please?

Yeah, 2018 was boring but I was at this show and the orchestra part of the show was rad.
    alec is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-09-2019, 09:01 AM   #80
    pathetic
    Liberate a solid set!

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LetYouDown22 View Post
    90k posts since the great 2007?! I’m actually impressed!! Someone get this man a violin.
    post count jab
    pathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-09-2019, 09:14 AM   #81
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    From what I can tell, the only people complaining about it are the people who frequent Ants, which probably represents about 5% or less of DMB's fan base.

I think the mass appeal among the general DMB fan base will be much higher, which is who this release is targeted for.
    Eh, it's not getting much love on vinyl-dedicated forums/outlets, either. People in general are bashing most of the RSD Black Friday list as being pretty brutal (and it is, even for RSD's recent output) and the DMB title has been singled out as a head scratcher.

Quote:
    The Philly '98 show is definitely nice. But I think there's growing frustration among vinyl fans (not just DMB hard cores, there's a lot of demand in the vinyl community for BTCS by casual fans and collectors), and I think it is worth noting that while a great set - the DMBLive series on vinyl is very much a "budget" series. Price point reflects that, as does the packaging and the fact that they had it pressed at Rainbo.

It's been 3+ years since DMB fans got a true audiophile record in Crash - and it gets rave reviews from hardcores and non-hardcores alike. People who are into vinyl respected the effort to master it from tape and put out a great sounding LP. And I think there's a lot of desire for that type of release for BTCS, and that extends well beyond Ants.

I'm not saying I have some master pulse of the vinyl community at large, but through my instagram and other online activity, I do get a pretty good feel for where things stand.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:08 AM   #82
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Eh, it's not getting much love on vinyl-dedicated forums/outlets, either. People in general are bashing most of the RSD Black Friday list as being pretty brutal (and it is, even for RSD's recent output) and the DMB title has been singled out as a head scratcher.

The Philly '98 show is definitely nice. But I think there's growing frustration among vinyl fans (not just DMB hard cores, there's a lot of demand in the vinyl community for BTCS by casual fans and collectors), and I think it is worth noting that while a great set - the DMBLive series on vinyl is very much a "budget" series. Price point reflects that, as does the packaging and the fact that they had it pressed at Rainbo.

It's been 3+ years since DMB fans got a true audiophile record in Crash - and it gets rave reviews from hardcores and non-hardcores alike. People who are into vinyl respected the effort to master it from tape and put out a great sounding LP. And I think there's a lot of desire for that type of release for BTCS, and that extends well beyond Ants.

I'm not saying I have some master pulse of the vinyl community at large, but through my instagram and other online activity, I do get a pretty good feel for where things stand.
    That's all fair and reasonable generally speaking, except it seems like people are more angry that this release isn't BTCS, which is a little unfair of them to take it out on this release.

People in the DMB Collectibles group all seemed to be excited about it and I consider them to be more of the casual fan type (or at least the type of fan that is just happy to get new releases from the band). My point is simply that only fanatics are upset about this whether they are fanatics about DMB or fanatics about vinyl.

I'm not going to defend the setlist of this show. I agree it's not great. However, generally speaking, it was a unique show with very non-typical guests at a historic venue that doesn't get played often by the band. The fact that it's getting wide release is also very interesting and something I think we should be happy about in general. It's always exciting when they put out a new wide release of something.
    Old 10-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #83
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

The release itself is fine... I totally understand them wanting to release newer shows. But on vinyl? IMO, it's hardcore fans that buy vinyl... the hardcore fanbase doesn't generally want newer shows getting the vinyl treatment.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #84
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drop2d View Post
    The release itself is fine... I totally understand them wanting to release newer shows. But on vinyl? IMO, it's hardcore fans that buy vinyl... the hardcore fanbase doesn't generally want newer shows getting the vinyl treatment.
    Yea its this. If this was a regular "Live at" CD/mp3 release, whatever, they havent done one in awhile and this show has some unique aspects to it. Just seems very strange to do this as a RSD release. RSD is a hardcore vinyl nerd thing, not a mass consumption thing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.

Last edited by TheLastPig; 10-09-2019 at 10:33 AM.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #85
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    Yea its this. If this was a regular "Live at" CD/mp3 release, whatever, they havent done one in awhile and this show has some unique aspects to it. Just seems very strange to do this as a RSD release. RSD is a hardcore vinyl nerd thing, not a mass consumption thing.

I'm thinking this gets announced as a 24/96 download and CD release later for the masses. We haven't had a Live At/In... since Baden Field in '11.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #86
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My point is simply that only fanatics are upset about this whether they are fanatics about DMB or fanatics about vinyl.
    But the bold are the people who are more likely to spend their Black Friday at a record store lining up for a DMB vinyl release, generally speaking. Sure, the collectors group and casual DMB fans may pick it up on the webstore, but for this to be an RSD title is head scratching at best.

Quote:

Old 10-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #87
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doodahman View Post
    Did they consider releasing the 2007 Hollywood Bowl show, and while they were they remembered DMB just played there last year so they should just release it instead! People want the new shows.
    There was a live trax from 2018 to go with several xm radio rips. That should keep you occupied
    Old 10-09-2019, 10:56 AM   #88
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's all fair and reasonable generally speaking, except it seems like people are more angry that this release isn't BTCS, which is a little unfair of them to take it out on this release.

People in the DMB Collectibles group all seemed to be excited about it and I consider them to be more of the casual fan type (or at least the type of fan that is just happy to get new releases from the band). My point is simply that only fanatics are upset about this whether they are fanatics about DMB or fanatics about vinyl.

I'm not going to defend the setlist of this show. I agree it's not great. However, generally speaking, it was a unique show with very non-typical guests at a historic venue that doesn't get played often by the band. The fact that it's getting wide release is also very interesting and something I think we should be happy about in general. It's always exciting when they put out a new wide release of something.
    18-19 has plenty of quality recordings available from xm, ticket purchase downloads, and live Trax

This is a waste of a vinyl release. Period
    Old 10-09-2019, 10:58 AM   #89
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Isn't vinyl really mainstream now and has been for years? I mean Target and Walmart started selling vinyl. It's almost easier to find vinyl of a new album from anyone on radio than it is to find it on CD. People are deceiving themselves if they think they are being unique or interesting by being interested in vinyl.
    Old 10-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #90
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    18-19 has plenty of quality recordings available from xm, ticket purchase downloads, and live Trax

This is a waste of a vinyl release. Period
    When was the last time DMB did a wide, mainstream release of a show, like this release is, that was for a show that was older than 1 or 2 years old? If they do a mainstream release, it's going to be of a newer show. Now you can argue that they didn't need to do a mainstream release at all, but something tells me that their marketing team knows more about what is commercially interesting to them than any of us.