**Official Drive-By Truckers Thread** - Page 35 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-04-2018, 12:47 PM   #1021
AlexK79
Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **Official Drive-By Truckers Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
Any news about a potential new album yet? Just about at the 2 year mark since American Band and they've pretty steadily been releasing new music every 2-3 years.
I think I saw Patterson mention somewhere getting into the studio early next year. They've got tour dates sporadically through 11/17, and then Cooley has this solo run until into December. I can see them taking some down time for the holidays and then hitting the studio maybe after the Athens Homecoming gigs next year? I think this Sept/Oct/Nov run is it for the American Band touring cycle.

It really doesn't feel like almost 2 years since that record came out!

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-05-2018, 05:43 AM   #1022
    mposey34
    Learn To Swim

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I can't tell you the last time I listened to American Band. It's sad, but the run of English Oceans and American Band has really dampened my enthusiasm for DBT.
    Old 09-05-2018, 07:17 AM   #1023
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

I just listened to AB over the weekend. I truly love the record and it's really held up well for me. English Oceans though is probably one of my least spun DBT records. Individually I like most of the tunes but it just hasn't "stuck" the way most of their others do with me. I love Shit Shots Count and will always take that in a live set though.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #1024
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Speaking of studio updates, DBT posted a pic on Facebook today of their gear set up in a studio with the caption:

"Yesterday was Day 1. Rock and Roll was born in Memphis. DBT abut to get Re-Born. #DBT2019"

Old 09-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #1025
    mposey34
    Learn To Swim

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    Speaking of studio updates, DBT posted a pic on Facebook today of their gear set up in a studio with the caption:

"Yesterday was Day 1. Rock and Roll was born in Memphis. DBT abut to get Re-Born. #DBT2019"
    I like the idea of re-born, but I feel like they are all in with the "Dance Band of the Resistance" thing now and won't be going back to southern gothic anytime soon
    Old 09-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #1026
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

I found it interesting that they capitalized 'Re-Born' - new album title, perhaps? Also wondering if it means the album is being recorded in Memphis.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #1027
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Finally saw DBT show (well, technically like the second or third time I've seen them but this time I was actually focused/present for the performance) and this was the set. I thought it was okay. The sound was poor and I could barely understand them and it sounded extra muddy. But it seemed pretty good.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/drive...s-3eb2513.html

Any good?
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2018, 01:47 PM   #1028
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Finally saw DBT show (well, technically like the second or third time I've seen them but this time I was actually focused/present for the performance) and this was the set. I thought it was okay. The sound was poor and I could barely understand them and it sounded extra muddy. But it seemed pretty good.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/drive...s-3eb2513.html

Any good?
    Was this on the TTB/DBT/Marcus King Tour?

This is a so-so set, IMO. Individually I like all of these songs, but on a tour like this where they were in the middle slot and playing to a lot of folks who likely were not there to see them, I'd like to see a wider cross section of material and more of their classic stuff. (Only 3 total songs here from their "Big 3" of Southern Rock Opera, Decoration Day, and The Dirty South.) The Ramones cover is definitely unnecessary in a show that short too.

The highlights here for me would definitely have been Ronnie and Neil, My Sweet Annette (only seen that 2-3 times in 20+ DBT shows) and Birthday Boy. I think Ramon Casiano works really well as an opener too.

I said this earlier (not sure if it was you I was responding to then?) but I absolutely see why a person would walk away from a show of theirs thinking it was 'just OK' if you weren't familiar with their catalog at all going in. It's hard to explain, but what really makes their music great is the writing, the stories their songs tell and the characters within, and you need to spend some time getting into their music to really grasp it all.

I saw my first DBT show I think about 8 or 9 months after I started listening to them, and by that point I was full-on deep diving into their albums. If I had seen them blind at a festival or something never having listened to them before, I am not sure if I'd be compelled to go back and check them out further or not.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:56 AM   #1029
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Was this on the TTB/DBT/Marcus King Tour?

This is a so-so set, IMO. Individually I like all of these songs, but on a tour like this where they were in the middle slot and playing to a lot of folks who likely were not there to see them, I'd like to see a wider cross section of material and more of their classic stuff. (Only 3 total songs here from their "Big 3" of Southern Rock Opera, Decoration Day, and The Dirty South.) The Ramones cover is definitely unnecessary in a show that short too.

The highlights here for me would definitely have been Ronnie and Neil, My Sweet Annette (only seen that 2-3 times in 20+ DBT shows) and Birthday Boy. I think Ramon Casiano works really well as an opener too.

I said this earlier (not sure if it was you I was responding to then?) but I absolutely see why a person would walk away from a show of theirs thinking it was 'just OK' if you weren't familiar with their catalog at all going in. It's hard to explain, but what really makes their music great is the writing, the stories their songs tell and the characters within, and you need to spend some time getting into their music to really grasp it all.

I saw my first DBT show I think about 8 or 9 months after I started listening to them, and by that point I was full-on deep diving into their albums. If I had seen them blind at a festival or something never having listened to them before, I am not sure if I'd be compelled to go back and check them out further or not.
    Yea this was the TTB tour with Marcus King.

But yeah you hit ht feeling on the head. I mean I didn't dislike it but I wasn't like "oh man I gotta listen to some DBT." and that's really the feeling I've had every time I've seen them. Probably why I don't remember if I've actually seen them or not.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2018, 07:12 AM   #1030
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Yea this was the TTB tour with Marcus King.

But yeah you hit ht feeling on the head. I mean I didn't dislike it but I wasn't like "oh man I gotta listen to some DBT." and that's really the feeling I've had every time I've seen them. Probably why I don't remember if I've actually seen them or not.
    Totally. It's funny because with a lot of bands, seeing them live is what makes it click for people even if you haven't been able to get into their albums, but for DBT I feel like it's the opposite. Their live shows are amazing if you know the songs, but they don't have much in the way of big catchy choruses or anything that's going to really grab you if you don't. Especially in a larger setting with not-great acoustics like that tour (they typically play small theater size venues - 1,000-2,000 seaters.)

I'd highly recommend giving a few listens to Southern Rock Opera, Decoration Day, or The Dirty South albums (which are pretty universally held us as their 3 best.) SRO was the album that did it first for me. I read a review and the concept/story was interesting. The first listen I was like "That was pretty good." It didn't blow me away (and it's a really long album to digest all at once) but I liked it enough to listen again. The 2nd time through I started to really get the story more, and the 3rd time I was all-in.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #1031
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Officially they are recording a new record in Memphis this week. Cooley posted a shot from the studio of the band with Mick Jagger!

Old 09-13-2018, 04:37 PM   #1032
    mposey34
    Learn To Swim

My Tour Central Stats

Isbell cleaned up at the Americana awards, winning best album, song and duo/group
    Old 09-14-2018, 07:44 AM   #1033
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mposey34 View Post
    Isbell cleaned up at the Americana awards, winning best album, song and duo/group
    Certainly not surprising. Dude has just been the darling of the scene basically since Southeastern came out.

Love Jason, but he still doesn't 'do it' for me quite like DBT does. I think I just like the less scripted, freewheeling nature of DBT, Jason's last 3 albums are just a bit more 'safe,' if that makes any sense. So happy for him and all his success though. The solo acoustic show I saw in February was just outstanding. He's actually here in Chicago tonight at a great venue called the Auditorium Theater but I'm not hitting the show.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #1034
    mposey34
    Learn To Swim

My Tour Central Stats

The Adam’s House Cat album is out today. Interesting to hear some of this older stuff or older takes of these songs
    Old 09-21-2018, 06:16 PM   #1035
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Fun listen tbh
    Old 09-24-2018, 07:25 AM   #1036
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

It definitely has that kind of 80's indie rock Replacements/REM type of vibe to it. Only got a chance to listen once so far but it was enjoyable.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #1037
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Cooley solo shows tomorrow night and Saturday, so pumped!! The venue for tomorrow (SPACE in Evanston) is one of my favorites.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:00 PM   #1038
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Been listening to Daddy's Cup a lot recently. Never really listened to it for someone. Guess it didn't hit the first time I heard it. Love the story. Great Cooley tune.

"#3 might have the car but 43 has got the nerve"
    Old 12-10-2018, 07:30 AM   #1039
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
    Been listening to Daddy's Cup a lot recently. Never really listened to it for someone. Guess it didn't hit the first time I heard it. Love the story. Great Cooley tune.

"#3 might have the car but 43 has got the nerve"
    LOVE that song. I love at the very end when he tells the engineer/producer to stop the tape and you hear the guy go "I'm sorry man, I was listening to the story."

Always wondered why they never do that one live. A few people definitely yelled out for it during the solo shows I saw this weekend but Cooley did not oblige.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:25 AM   #1040
    Cobo

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Cooley is a strange bird when it comes to song selection. He essentially ignores his best songs in the DBT setting but will play them time from time in the solo setting. Some fans guess it's because he has a hard time remembering lyrics. At his solo shows, he has the lyric/music stand in front of him. If that's the problem, I wish DBT would get a teleprompter for their stage set up. Or write set lists. I recently did a two night stand in Nashville where I was pretty frustrated in their song selection over two nights because they repeated many (not so great) songs.

Anyway, two months until Homecoming and I'm going this year. So stoked!
    Cobo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-19-2018, 07:18 AM   #1041
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cobo View Post
    Cooley is a strange bird when it comes to song selection. He essentially ignores his best songs in the DBT setting but will play them time from time in the solo setting. Some fans guess it's because he has a hard time remembering lyrics. At his solo shows, he has the lyric/music stand in front of him. If that's the problem, I wish DBT would get a teleprompter for their stage set up. Or write set lists. I recently did a two night stand in Nashville where I was pretty frustrated in their song selection over two nights because they repeated many (not so great) songs.

Anyway, two months until Homecoming and I'm going this year. So stoked!
    He definitely was not using any kind of sheet music or anything at the two solo shows I went to recently. He had a small sheet at his feet with the setlist on it and that was it.

The 2nd night he did forget the lyrics to the 2nd verse of Carl Perkins Cadillac, he kind of chuckled and said "I figured you guys would remember it...!"

I love the fact that DBT doesn't use setlists, but I agree sometimes that leads to repeats from Cooley on 2 nighters, I remember lodging a similar gripe here after the most recent 2-nighter in Chicago this year.

Part of it I think is we have to remember that Cooley's tunes are probably about half the volume that Patterson has, so he's naturally going to be more prone to repeats. When they're in an album cycle I think they tend to repeat songs from the new record more often too.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #1042
    Gorge18Hopeful
    what's this you say

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Raleigh tonight. Looking forward to it
    Old 02-07-2019, 01:47 PM   #1043
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gorge18Hopeful View Post
    Raleigh tonight. Looking forward to it
    Nice! Give us a little review post show.

I was seriously considering flying out for the Dimmer Twins shows in Asheville in April but I'm just not sure I can swing it with all the travel I have coming up for shows this summer.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:06 PM   #1044
    Gorge18Hopeful
    what's this you say

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    the Dimmer Twins shows in Asheville in April
    Planning for both nights of that one. Lucked into a connection and got tix after it had sold out. Same venue Cooley played solo in November
    Old 02-08-2019, 09:20 AM   #1045
    Gorge18Hopeful
    what's this you say

My Tour Central Stats

Solid show last night but wasn’t blown away. Felt like the set list was pretty chalk, five or six Cooley standards and one or two from Patterson that I hadn’t heard. Highlight was probably patterson’s rant on “what it means,” evidently George Zimmerman is autographing and selling bags of skittles, did not fact check it but Patterson was not happy about it. A little let down they played for about 80 minutes then house lights, no encore. Nevertheless looking forward to catching them again
    Old 02-08-2019, 09:38 AM   #1046
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Solid show last night but wasn’t blown away. Felt like the set list was pretty chalk, five or six Cooley standards and one or two from Patterson that I hadn’t heard. Highlight was probably patterson’s rant on “what it means,” evidently George Zimmerman is autographing and selling bags of skittles, did not fact check it but Patterson was not happy about it. A little let down they played for about 80 minutes then house lights, no encore. Nevertheless looking forward to catching them again
    Wow, 80 minutes?! That seems insanely short. Was there a curfew or something? Most DBT shows (at least that I've been to) are usually 2:15-2:30ish in length, 25ish songs.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:03 PM   #1047
    mja271
    Big Mike

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Yikes. I did notice the previous show was only 16 songs. What's up with that?
    Say a prayer for my soul señorita
    mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #1048
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
    Yikes. I did notice the previous show was only 16 songs. What's up with that?
    Yeah, seems really odd. They've done 4 shows since the Outlaw Country Cruise, and assuming setlist.fm is accurate, song counts for those shows have been 18-22-16-18.

The Jan 24th show is the most recent one with a more typical DBT song count of 25.

I do love the 1-2 punch of Birthday Boy and Righteous Path to open last night though.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:42 PM   #1049
    Gorge18Hopeful
    what's this you say

My Tour Central Stats

Lucinda Williams was “co-headlining” so while truckers did play last I think they divided stage time equally. Erika Wennerstrom opened 7:30-8, Lucinda 8:15-9:45ish, truckers 10-11:30ish
    Old 02-17-2019, 08:58 AM   #1050
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Lucinda Williams was “co-headlining” so while truckers did play last I think they divided stage time equally. Erika Wennerstrom opened 7:30-8, Lucinda 8:15-9:45ish, truckers 10-11:30ish
    AHHHHH yes. I had completely forgotten they were doing this co-headline run with Lucinda Williams. The 80 minute set makes way more sense in that context.

I know the guys are getting older but I feared for a minute this was gonna be the new norm.