Xbone has actual games. Ps4 just kinda wobbles - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #121
thestand
Best Ever

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New XBox and Playstation Consoles Discussion

Yeah, that looks like a rumor with a short shelf-life. Both before that rumor and since then, there's been discussion of Durango having a newer generation Blu-Ray player than the PS3. And today's Orbis rumors obviously mentions Blu-Ray as well. So crisis averted.

Almost hit reply, but then I remembered: there is a new rumor out this past week where Microsoft may actually have two new consoles next year: one full next-generation unit, and one that is a scaled 360, set to compete against Apple TV. So that unit may be discless, as it will solely focus on streaming media and XBL Arcade games.
Will in time both outpace and outlive you, Hail Satan!
thestand is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #122
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thestand View Post
    Almost hit reply, but then I remembered: there is a new rumor out this past week where Microsoft may actually have two new consoles next year: one full next-generation unit, and one that is a scaled 360, set to compete against Apple TV. So that unit may be discless, as it will solely focus on streaming media and XBL Arcade games.
    I could see Microsoft putting out a competitor to Apple TV and Google TV. But I guess that would be Windows Media Center, no?
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #123
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

New rumors coming more frequently can only mean that things are heating up. VG24/7 has a report, saying that Microsoft has internally confirmed a holiday 2013 release, and have also released specs to all major studios (remember, some studios already have a spec kit). It will be powered in a configuration centering around a four, possibly six core CPU, and two GPUs that are in line with AMD's 7000 series. But they won't be set up in Crossfire, if you're familiar with running two AMD GPUs. They'll be running independently, allowing the CPU to utilize them independently for different processes. Basically allowing the XB3 to operate as two units as once, if need be.

It will have full Blu-Ray.

It will join the PS4 Orbis in needing to be connected to the internet 100% of the time. This is, unfortunately, the future of gaming. Many PC titles already do it, Sony looks to be doing it with Orbis, and Project Durango joins the pack. It makes sense from their side, as the 360 was a huge target of pirating for a long time. Always connected use means there's no chance for someone to flash their unit and run pirated ROMs.

Much of this info has leaked from a Project Durango summit that happened in London at the end of February. But even though studios know exactly what they're developing for now, it still looks like Microsoft plans to keep all info until calendar 2013. So even though we know a lot of details via rumors, there will be no public info at E3, or PAX, or Gamescom, or anything else this year. But, given the timeline of a Holiday 2013 release, I'd be shocked if they waited until the big expos in 2013 to announce. My guess is they follow a similar timeline of the 360, which would have them doing their own press announcement before the summer Expo schedule. Maybe March or so.

And all this means is that I will 100% be buying tickets to PAX East in 2013.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/04/02/xbox...tcon-required/
    Old 04-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #124
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

i know there is only some early rumors out there, but from what is known so far, what system seems like it will be the better of the two? and any estimation on the prices of these things?
    Old 04-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #125
    Mateo2k

Shows Seen: 91

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

It will join the PS4 Orbis in needing to be connected to the internet 100% of the time.
    This will not be happening in the next generation of consoles.
    Mateo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #126
    water_into_wine

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mateo2k View Post
    This will not be happening in the next generation of consoles.
    Definitely will.
    water_into_wine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #127
    Mateo2k

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by water_into_wine View Post
    Definitely will.
    Not a chance.
    Old 04-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #128
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

It really, honestly will. Many major distributors already require it on PC, and it's in the console manufacturer's best interest to begin with. It 100% will happen, it's been in the tea leafs for awhile. You don't strike me as someone who was going to jump on the next console generation quickly anyway, so you should have a few more years of offline gameplay. But, as I've stressed in many posts, every new console is about the entire lifecycle of the console. People ask why the new consoles need ridiculous graphical output, but how long did it take for people to wonder why the Wii wasn't in HD? At the Wii's release, a non-HD console wasn't a terrible idea, because 1080p monitors weren't in even 5% of households yet. But now, at the end of its lifecycle, it's seen as a relic of the past. These new consoles will be outputting at least 2K definition, and there's a good chance that by the end of its lifecycle (2020), Americans will be starting to buy 4K displays.

My argument here is that a completely wired household is seen as an inevitability at this point. Internet capable TVs are already getting into new markets. Hell, this weekend I've been asked to go hook up an Internet ready TV for my grandmother's friends. The only argument against a connection-needed console is an infrastructure one, where it's just not a possibility for some people. But that concern is fading away. It's not reality anymore that people don't have the ability to stay connected. And, as I've said, it's in the companies' best interests. When in the past hasn't that trumped all else? Microsoft had to sink tens, if not hundreds of millions into new security measures once the pirated ROM market for the 360 started to get really big. Developers are constantly looking for new ways to counter pirating, and most are going with needing a connection. Diablo III might be the biggest PC release this year, and you will have to be connected at all times to play the single player.

It's not happening; it's already happened.
    Old 04-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #129
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

This sounds awful.

I don't need internet for my console. I don't play online.
    Old 04-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #130
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Trying to get my PS3 to have wifi is a pain in the ass.

Why won't it work?
    Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #131
    Mateo2k

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It really, honestly will. Many major distributors already require it on PC, and it's in the console manufacturer's best interest to begin with. It 100% will happen, it's been in the tea leafs for awhile. You don't strike me as someone who was going to jump on the next console generation quickly anyway, so you should have a few more years of offline gameplay. But, as I've stressed in many posts, every new console is about the entire lifecycle of the console. People ask why the new consoles need ridiculous graphical output, but how long did it take for people to wonder why the Wii wasn't in HD? At the Wii's release, a non-HD console wasn't a terrible idea, because 1080p monitors weren't in even 5% of households yet. But now, at the end of its lifecycle, it's seen as a relic of the past. These new consoles will be outputting at least 2K definition, and there's a good chance that by the end of its lifecycle (2020), Americans will be starting to buy 4K displays.

My argument here is that a completely wired household is seen as an inevitability at this point. Internet capable TVs are already getting into new markets. Hell, this weekend I've been asked to go hook up an Internet ready TV for my grandmother's friends. The only argument against a connection-needed console is an infrastructure one, where it's just not a possibility for some people. But that concern is fading away. It's not reality anymore that people don't have the ability to stay connected. And, as I've said, it's in the companies' best interests. When in the past hasn't that trumped all else? Microsoft had to sink tens, if not hundreds of millions into new security measures once the pirated ROM market for the 360 started to get really big. Developers are constantly looking for new ways to counter pirating, and most are going with needing a connection. Diablo III might be the biggest PC release this year, and you will have to be connected at all times to play the single player.

It's not happening; it's already happened.
    PC and consule gamers are not the same market at all. You really can't make the arguement that something is done on PCs, so it can be done with consules. People go with consoles for ease and convienence. They are completely different markets.

Secondly, As much as we want to belive we're in a 100% connected world, we're not. There's huge populations that don't have that capability, and hell, most Comcast subscribers have their cable/internet cut out constantly. I'm sure there will be some games that require 100% connectivity, the consule itself will not require it, because if they'd lose a huge portion of the market. They may make the option available to developers, but the system itself will not require it, and most games and developers will not either.
    Old 04-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #132
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    PC and consule gamers are not the same market at all. You really can't make the arguement that something is done on PCs, so it can be done with consules. People go with consoles for ease and convienence. They are completely different markets.

Secondly, As much as we want to belive we're in a 100% connected world, we're not. There's huge populations that don't have that capability, and hell, most Comcast subscribers have their cable/internet cut out constantly. I'm sure there will be some games that require 100% connectivity, the consule itself will not require it, because if they'd lose a huge portion of the market. They may make the option available to developers, but the system itself will not require it, and most games and developers will not either.
    I don't understand what you're arguing. They've basically already told studios that they are going to require it on the console itself. Like everyone has already said, it isn't "happening" because it's already happened.
    Old 04-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #133
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Do you have to use an ethernet cable to set up the wifi for a PS3?
    Old 04-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #134
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    This sounds awful.

I don't need internet for my console. I don't play online.
    Same. Sucks. I've always had annoying problems with setting up port forwarding and all that, and ever since I got a new modem and router, I haven't bothered re-learning how to...and I haven't had to, because I love story-driven games that are primarily single player like Assassin's Creed, Batman, and Uncharted.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #135
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
    Trying to get my PS3 to have wifi is a pain in the ass.

Why won't it work?
    Quote:
    Do you have to use an ethernet cable to set up the wifi for a PS3?
    Same, it's awful. I wish it would just automatically do it, but I've always had to go to my modem site access (the 192.128.0.1 or whatever it is), and then set up like 8 IPs, with different ports, and all this junk.

And then it STILL doesn't work. The last time I got it working, it took an entire night of searching troubleshooting sites on the internet back and forth before I got everything right.

Why can't wifi just be simple like on my laptop?

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 04-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #136
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
    Same, it's awful. I wish it would just automatically do it, but I've always had to go to my modem site access (the 192.128.0.1 or whatever it is), and then set up like 8 IPs, with different ports, and all this junk.

And then it STILL doesn't work. The last time I got it working, it took an entire night of searching troubleshooting sites on the internet back and forth before I got everything right.

Why can't wifi just be simple like on my laptop?
    That's what I'm screaming. So how did you do it?
    Old 04-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #137
    Mateo2k

My Tour Central Stats

Again, its all rumors and hearsay at this stage. When these are released, the consoles will NOT require always-on connection. Some games MAY require it, but those will be few and far between.
    Old 04-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #138
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's what I'm screaming. So how did you do it?
    With a lot of reading. Here's a start:

http://portforward.com/networking/st...ystation-3.htm

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 04-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #139
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    With a lot of reading. Here's a start:

http://portforward.com/networking/st...ystation-3.htm

Is it really worth it?

Can you get Netflix on there? Is it anything Xbox live?
    Old 04-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #140
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Again, its all rumors and hearsay at this stage. When these are released, the consoles will NOT require always-on connection. Some games MAY require it, but those will be few and far between.
    I don't buy what you're saying at all.
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #141
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You're taking a bad point and making it worse here. What you just described is something that is, for one thing, impossible. There is no way Microsoft or Sony would greenlight a security system that overrides their own system, which is what you're suggesting.

Reason your idea is uninformed #2: always-connected consoles is something that the manufacturers want more than most studios. Some studios want it, as we've seen from Ubisoft and some EA titles on PC. But you're right to say PC is different, and here's why: PC is an open console. And with an open console, the people running the servers are the ones that need to handle their security. And unless a console game has dedicated servers (read: 1 in maybe 200, and that may be conservative), Microsoft and Sony are burdening the security risk. Always-connected consoles guarantee that you haven't taken the time to load up a file editor on your PC, mod your save file, port it back over to your console, and modify whatever you want in-game. It also instantly guarantees that every copy of a game is legitimate, something that was a huge problem on the 360 from 2006-2009.

And again, as I've said so many times, your complaints are complaints that invariably come from people who aren't early adapters. Someone who is turned off by a console that constantly needs a connection isn't someone who Microsoft or Sony expect to buy an XB3 or a PS4 until 2016 at the earliest. To be blunt, your concerns aren't in the least Microsoft or Sony's concerns. They're comfortable allowing you to go buy the Nintendo Wii U for a few years, until new games start being too demanding for the Wii U's processors.
    Old 04-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #142
    I'mOnGreyStreet

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I've never had any problem hooking my PS3 up to Wi-Fi. It's the exact same as my laptop. This is probably a problem with your router, not the PS3.

Edit: Are you expecting it to automatically connect to the Wi-Fi? You have to go to your "Network Settings", and indicate that you're connecting wirelessly. Then it will ask you to set it up...just choose the easy way and it will scan for the network. Choose the correct one, enter the password, and run the connection test. Takes maybe 3 minutes altogether.

Last edited by I'mOnGreyStreet; 04-02-2012 at 10:12 PM.
    I'mOnGreyStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #143
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by I'mOnGreyStreet View Post
    I've never had any problem hooking my PS3 up to Wi-Fi. It's the exact same as my laptop. This is probably a problem with your router, not the PS3.

Edit: Are you expecting it to automatically connect to the Wi-Fi? You have to go to your "Network Settings", and indicate that you're connecting wirelessly. Then it will ask you to set it up...just choose the easy way and it will scan for the network. Choose the correct one, enter the password, and run the connection test. Takes maybe 3 minutes altogether.
    Yeah, I did all that and it never connects. I put the password in and everything. It's just a pain in the ass.
    Old 04-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #144
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

I rarely use my PS3 anymore, but any new location I go to I turn it on, go to configure connection, pick my network, put in the password, and it's good to go.

EDIT: It is a launch day 60GB, known far and wide as the sexiest PS3 available, so maybe PS3s that aren't that one have problems that I don't.

Last edited by thestand; 04-02-2012 at 10:44 PM.
    Old 04-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #145
    TwoStep2888
    Freak Time

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I've a brand new 320GB Slim PS3 and it's the same network situation as Brendan's, soo
    Old 04-03-2012, 05:14 AM   #146
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I rarely use my PS3 anymore, but any new location I go to I turn it on, go to configure connection, pick my network, put in the password, and it's good to go.

EDIT: It is a launch day 60GB, known far and wide as the sexiest PS3 available, so maybe PS3s that aren't that one have problems that I don't.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TwoStep2888 View Post
    I've a brand new 320GB Slim PS3 and it's the same network situation as Brendan's, soo
    I have both of these (40GB PS3...boooo), and it's the same situation for both. I've never had a problem connecting anywhere.
    Old 04-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #147
    Mateo2k

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    . To be blunt, your concerns aren't in the least Microsoft or Sony's concerns. They're comfortable allowing you to go buy the Nintendo Wii U for a few years, until new games start being too demanding for the Wii U's processors.
    No. They're not. Microsoft don't want you buying a Nintendo or a Sony. Same for Sony, with Nintendo and Microsoft. They want to be the go-to system. Obviously, not everyone will adopt on day 1, but they're not going to alienate a huge portion of the market.
    Old 04-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #148
    Mateo2k

My Tour Central Stats

Again, I'm sure it's something they're looking at, and will probably implement in a generation or two, but it won't be in the upcoming 2013 consoles.
    Old 04-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #149
    I'mOnGreyStreet

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, I did all that and it never connects. I put the password in and everything. It's just a pain in the ass.
    It's probably your router then. If it's a new one, then I don't know what to tell you. I would call Sony before messing with anything. There could be a simple solution to it that I just don't know about.

Last edited by I'mOnGreyStreet; 04-03-2012 at 04:24 PM.
    I'mOnGreyStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #150
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Same. Sucks. I've always had annoying problems with setting up port forwarding and all that, and ever since I got a new modem and router, I haven't bothered re-learning how to...and I haven't had to, because I love story-driven games that are primarily single player like Assassin's Creed, Batman, and Uncharted.
    Same here, story driven games and sports games are what I play and I don't really have the desire to play either online ever. The only thing I would consider playing online would be an FPS, but even then, I like the computer better for online FPS play.

Tags
    504 boys , rodeyiswobbled , wobblewobble , xboneon , xboneskyperickyh24