***Official NYC MSG 2018*** - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-27-2018, 04:12 AM   #121
Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official NYC MSG 2018***

Forgot about this from 2010: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9r8j8vbll4
Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-27-2018, 04:32 AM   #122
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    Forgot about this from 2010: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9r8j8vbll4
    Scott has good sources AND good taste in music! Two shows after this was my first show at Phillips...got Last Stop at my first show. Looking back, Fall 2010 was a good tour. I doubt they will disappoint at MSG this time around! Can't wait.
    Old 09-27-2018, 04:56 AM   #123
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FeelingGood View Post
    Scott has good sources AND good taste in music! Two shows after this was my first show at Phillips...got Last Stop at my first show. Looking back, Fall 2010 was a good tour. I doubt they will disappoint at MSG this time around! Can't wait.
    That's pretty cool. Earlier in the 2010 fall tour they played Nassau Coliseum which is only about 10 min from where I grew up. At the time of the show, I was up in Albany at school and missed it. They opened the show with the Last Stop (and at the time I had never heard it before). I went to the show in Albany few nights later and thankfully they closed the encore with it, but it was not on the original set list. Since then, I've heard it 3 other times (MSG N2 later in the 2010 tour, SPAC N2 in 2016 and N2 at the Gorge this year).
    Old 09-27-2018, 06:22 AM   #124
    Cozmic135
    Just tryin' to get by.

Shows Seen: 171

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madpiker View Post
    I'm one of the few that LOVE LGA...no lines, closest to the city. relatively easy transit....been flying in/out for 10 years.

my last trip to the city I was flabbergasted how much of a shitshow outside LGA has become. I decided i'd actually take an Uber for once into the city and it was just a nightmare. so much walking, it was in the parking garage, cars didnt have reception to tell you where they were....GOODNESS.

that being said, i'm still flying into LGA for the shows. M60 to the NQ FTW!
    I think the majority of people prefer LGA... it's just recently the traffic has been a bitch... it's getting better though.

I always prefer LGA if I'm flying any airline outside of JetBlue.
    Cozmic135 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2018, 06:25 AM   #125
    Cozmic135
    Just tryin' to get by.

Shows Seen: 171

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Hotels in the city around these shows will be nutty because of the tree lighting. Keep in mind, this is the greatest place for public transportation. No need to stay right by MSG. Stay downtown, stay uptown, stay in LIC, Brooklyn, Hoboken, Jersey City, Westchester, CT, stay in that other country of Long Island if you have to.

Subways, MetroNorth, Jersey Transit, LIRR. It's all very easy and accessible.
    Cozmic135 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2018, 07:05 AM   #126
    SyracuseFan
    American Baby Intro

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Newark > LGA > JFK

For anyone concerned about booking hotels within walking distance to the garden, don't sweat it. NYC is the greatest city in the world with quick subway access (ie underground and warm) to most neighborhoods in manhattan. You should also consider Jersey City if looking for a slightly cheaper option. JC's become incredibly easy to navigate to and the 33rd street PATH station is a quick walk from the garden. If coming with a large group, AirBNBs in Jersey City and Hoboken would be a great option due to convenient PATH access. The weekend construction will be completed by the time of the concerts so PATH access will be a piece of cake after the show. The beauty of Manhattan public transportation is that the trains run frequently and 24/7. You may see some real kooks on the train but there's no questioning how easy it is to get around. If subways aren't your thing, i would encourage you to walk out of the venue and take a 3 minute walk to any side street and you'll be able to hail a taxi in a few minutes. Plus, there are hundreds of bars within a few minutes outside the venue that stay open until 4am. The afterparty will be very real.

For those questioning if MSG shows will be worth the trip, I would recommend you take a good hard look at their previous shows at the venue. It has been 8 years since the band has done a show at MSG and I'd be very surprised if they don't BRING THE HEAT for this 2 night stand. The energy inside the venue is truly fantastic for dave shows.

Let the countdown begin because this is the most excited I've been for shows in 10 years. Don't sweat the setlists, just go and enjoy watching your favorite band play at one of their favorite venues.
    SyracuseFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2018, 07:33 AM   #127
    dmbatl93

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

my best friend lives 2 blocks from MSG and I can stay with him, BUT if anyone is getting into Laguardia around 3:00 on Thursday the 29th, please text me at 678-427-5807 because I'd rather split the cost of the $50+ cab ride into manhattan
    dmbatl93 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2018, 07:37 AM   #128
    josh4127

Shows Seen: 108

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SyracuseFan View Post
    Newark > LGA > JFK

For anyone concerned about booking hotels within walking distance to the garden, don't sweat it. NYC is the greatest city in the world with quick subway access (ie underground and warm) to most neighborhoods in manhattan. You should also consider Jersey City if looking for a slightly cheaper option. JC's become incredibly easy to navigate to and the 33rd street PATH station is a quick walk from the garden. If coming with a large group, AirBNBs in Jersey City and Hoboken would be a great option due to convenient PATH access. The weekend construction will be completed by the time of the concerts so PATH access will be a piece of cake after the show. The beauty of Manhattan public transportation is that the trains run frequently and 24/7. You may see some real kooks on the train but there's no questioning how easy it is to get around. If subways aren't your thing, i would encourage you to walk out of the venue and take a 3 minute walk to any side street and you'll be able to hail a taxi in a few minutes. Plus, there are hundreds of bars within a few minutes outside the venue that stay open until 4am. The afterparty will be very real.

For those questioning if MSG shows will be worth the trip, I would recommend you take a good hard look at their previous shows at the venue. It has been 8 years since the band has done a show at MSG and I'd be very surprised if they don't BRING THE HEAT for this 2 night stand. The energy inside the venue is truly fantastic for dave shows.

Let the countdown begin because this is the most excited I've been for shows in 10 years. Don't sweat the setlists, just go and enjoy watching your favorite band play at one of their favorite venues.

Everything said above is true. Night 2 especially will be one for the ages.
    josh4127 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2018, 08:44 AM   #129
    uctbcats21

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Hotel & flight booked. LGA is a mess usually after you land or getting back to LGA due to construction, they are building a brand new terminal (I think?) and it's caused crazy traffic flow issues & eliminated sidewalks. Oh well, all worth it for MSG
    uctbcats21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2018, 09:22 AM   #130
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Some very optimistic folks in here as far as what to expect from these shows

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2018, 09:43 AM   #131
    pogoslis

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Crazy last show we saw was http://www.dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSe...112&where=2010

quite the night to remember. looking forward to two more!

pogoslis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2018, 11:25 AM   #132
    coyn113
    Keep Pushin'

Shows Seen: 92

My Tour Central Stats

to the point of not having to stay right near MSG...

I've recently lived in the Financial District and as of last year in Long Island City (Queens) in both places it takes less than a half hour to get to MSG
    Its extremely quick (by city standards) and only $2.75 by subway / $20 by uber
    I cannot recommend staying a bit further away from MSG enough for those not familiar with NYC.
    Old 09-27-2018, 11:35 AM   #133
    blaket18

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SyracuseFan View Post
    Newark > LGA > JFK

Exactly! I booked the Pennsylvania for convenience but then was told it was terrible so I'm just staying with Ol Reliable and the W down in the financial district at the world trade center. Quick access to the subway and the 1 line brings you right to penn station and FAR FAR FAR away from Times Square (absolute nightmare)
    blaket18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2018, 11:35 AM   #134
    Dannyyankou

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    We can only go by the track record at MSG, which has never disappointed.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2018, 11:35 AM   #135
    uctbcats21

Shows Seen: 57

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    True, I'm going to spend the next 60 days being as pessimistic as I can instead. Much better way to live life
    uctbcats21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2018, 11:37 AM   #136
    SyracuseFan
    American Baby Intro

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blaket18 View Post
    Exactly! I booked the Pennsylvania for convenience but then was told it was terrible so I'm just staying with Ol Reliable and the W down in the financial district at the world trade center. Quick access to the subway and the 1 line brings you right to penn station and FAR FAR FAR away from Times Square (absolute nightmare)
    Good choice - i work across the street! Wonderful area. Pls pm me if you need any recommendations.
    SyracuseFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #137
    rhizingbines

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

For those trying to decide between LGA and JFK, also keep in mind that the majority of dining options at some terminals in LGA are currently closed because of construction. Past few connections I’ve had there I wasn’t able to find a single bar or sit down restaurant.
    rhizingbines is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2018, 11:46 AM   #138
    rhizingbines

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Hotels and flights are booked.

Staying at Hotel 31 in midtown Thursday and Friday nights and moving over to Hotel Jane for Saturday night. $105 a night at both places. Can’t wait!!
    rhizingbines is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #139
    pogoslis

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Brooklyn has some beautiful brownstone Airbnbs which are a quick 2/3 train ride to the venue.

key is hanging out in the city for a little after the show so you dont get bombed on the subway back.

pogoslis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2018, 12:54 PM   #140
    MiniFlynny34

Shows Seen: 67

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Considering doing previously mentioned Hotel 31 or an Airbnb outside of Manhattan. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which I should do? Never used Airbnb before. Trying to keep it about as cheap as realistically possible.
    Old 09-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #141
    blaket18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiniFlynny34 View Post
    Considering doing previously mentioned Hotel 31 or an Airbnb outside of Manhattan. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which I should do? Never used Airbnb before. Trying to keep it about as cheap as realistically possible.
    I usually always use Airbnb but in manhatten you are better off with a hotel. If you are looking outside of manhatten airbnb is a good option. Just remember you get what you pay for in Manhatten, when you start getting to hotels under $250 a night you are taking a chance on the room. Rooms are usually very small so make sure you look at the size. If you are strictly looking for a place to put your stuff and laydown go with a cheaper option but just be prepared for it not to be updated and everything else that comes with your typical hotel.
    Old 09-27-2018, 01:29 PM   #142
    blaket18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiniFlynny34 View Post
    If you are looking to save money and still get a quality place look outside Manhattan like said earlier, Brooklyn, Long Island, even Jersey City is perfect. With how good the MTA is you can get anywhere relatively easy.
    Old 09-27-2018, 01:34 PM   #143
    DMBBeav

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you are looking to save money and still get a quality place look outside Manhattan like said earlier, Brooklyn, Long Island, even Jersey City is perfect. With how good the MTA is you can get anywhere relatively easy.
    Also, Hoboken. You can walk to the Path and it stops around the block from MSG.

Also, to enjoy setlists for the show, can I recommend not looking at the Columbus' set? I predict there will be some liberated song in that show that will be repeated at MSG and it is easy to not set watch for just one show.
    DMBBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2018, 02:28 PM   #144
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

The Queens Hotel in Woodside (obviously in Queens) has rooms for $139 per night. It is a 5 min walk from the hotel to the Woodside train station which has both a subway entrance and Long Island Rail Road entrance. Both trains systems will take you straight into the city in about 15 min. The LIRR has a direct train from Woodside into Penn Station/MSG. It is also very close to LaGuardia.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/queens.html

Obviously, I can't speak for the hotel itself (but it has an 8 out of 10 on booking.com).

There also appear to be some pretty cheap hotels in Long Island City which is even closer to NYC.

Last edited by Cscottrun; 09-27-2018 at 02:31 PM.
    Old 09-27-2018, 02:34 PM   #145
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

I also just saw that the Hotel Newton on the upper west side has prices cheaper than the POD hotel. Also, Bowery House in lower Manhattan.

Last edited by Cscottrun; 09-27-2018 at 02:36 PM.
    Old 09-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #146
    stlbluespower
    DMB 2012

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Fully refundable, but just booked SW nonstops both ways for a total of $208, and the Chelsea hostel for $50 a night. I go solo and cheap. In and out of LGA.

Last edited by stlbluespower; 09-27-2018 at 03:03 PM.
    stlbluespower is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #147
    madpiker

Shows Seen: 132

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    you owe me a been or 10 for getting you out of that reservation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    We can only go by the track record at MSG, which has never disappointed.
    exactly. MSG has historically had SIGNIFICANTLY better sets (and especially experiences for that matter).

will it be all classics and deep tracks? of course not, but MSG will be better than 95% of shows we've seen lately.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBBeav View Post
    Also, Hoboken. You can walk to the Path and it stops around the block from MSG.
    blah the path can SUCK LATE at night. right after the show it's fine.
    Gorge FAQ ---Gorge Roster/Flag list
    madpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2018, 03:04 PM   #148
    madpiker

Shows Seen: 132

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stlbluespower View Post
    Fully refundable, but just booked SW nonstops both ways for a total of $208, and the Chelsea hostel for $50 a night. I go solo and cheap. In and out of LGA.
    chelsea hostel should be....interesting.
    Gorge FAQ ---Gorge Roster/Flag list
    madpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #149
    MiniFlynny34

Shows Seen: 67

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks for all the responses. Gonna try an Airbnb. Looking forward to the garden, I’ve never been!
    Old 09-27-2018, 04:25 PM   #150
    stlbluespower
    DMB 2012

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madpiker View Post
    chelsea hostel should be....interesting.
    Just a place to crash two nights (free breakfast goodies, too). I've hosteled before for DMB in Chicago and that worked out. I think I am just a 15 minute walk to the Garden.
    stlbluespower is offline   Reply With Quote