Official Goose (the band) Discussion - Page 329 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-16-2024, 01:31 PM   #9841
ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Official Goose (the band) Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush_me_16125 View Post
Well that sounds lovely. What was the venue name?

Leader Bank Pavilion | Leader Bank
ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-16-2024, 01:47 PM   #9842
    crush_me_16125

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

That for sure looks sick
    crush_me_16125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-16-2024, 03:20 PM   #9843
    watsonbriant
    Completionist

Shows Seen: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by watsonbriant View Post
    Big fan of ElGoose.net for setlist researching purposes, but I've never been a huge fan of the functionality and layout of the site (many jam bands use the software EG.net uses, and it's an acquired taste IMO).

So, as a personal project, I'm in the process of building my own version of a Goose setlist archive, HEAVILY influenced by DMBAlmanac if that wasn't apparent. Pages are being loaded in every day, currently only setlists for 2014 are up, but am aiming to have the database complete by end of January.

Welcoming any and all feedback. Big shoutout and thank you to ElGoose and DMBAlmanac for the inspiration to try this out.

Dripfield.co - A Setlist Archive for Goose the Band
    Lots of work has been (and continues to be!) done on the site. All tour dates have been updated, including any announced 2024 dates.

Still working on loading in sets, and uploading individual song pages.

Sample page for what setlists will looks like: https://dripfield.co/set/14/12/20.html

Sample page for what song pages will look like: https://dripfield.co/song/1008.html

Big shoutout once again to ElGoose.net, DMBAlmanac, and many other sites for inspo and data curation!
    Old 04-16-2024, 03:30 PM   #9844
    watsonbriant
    Completionist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomacco
    Somebody is working on this, but it’s been in production a while, not sure the status of it:
    https://www.dripfield.co/
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bearclaw_ View Post
    Ah, this was it. Thank you!
    It's me - hey guys! Sorry for the delay in updates. My goal was to have the site fully finished before Goose took the stage again in May, but the Cap run ruined those plans .

I'm still aiming to have the entire site ready to go by the start of the Summer Tour. It's currently a one-man show, and with my wife 9 months pregnant I'm trying to fit in as much work on the site as I can.

I keep a running log of updates on the Twitter feed if you're interested: @dripfieldco
    Old 04-16-2024, 03:49 PM   #9845
    madpiker

Shows Seen: 132

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Leaning heavily on skipping DMB @ alpine and heading to the fox theatre shows.

Anyone seeing these guys this summer?
    I was fully prepared to cut SPAC this year. Partially to save money for our wedding, and partially to justify another Goose trip somewhere.

Then we scored pit again, so not cutting SPAC anymore

I have flights and a hotel booked for Denver in June. I also have a pair of n2 SPAC balcony tickets for September.

really wish SPAC wasn't the weekend after the gorge, but here we are..

obviously in for whatever Texas area run they (hopefully) eventually do, and then will consider Goosemas again.
    Gorge FAQ ---Gorge Roster/Flag list
    madpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-17-2024, 10:30 AM   #9846
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

Finally listened to that Cap Tumble TLP suggested. Tumble is a good tune. In terms of Cotter vs Ben differences, honestly probably wouldn’t have noticed had I not already known. I didn’t really notice any major differences in the bands sound or jam approach, it’s still Rick destroys and everyone else is just kinda there. But listening intently to the drumming the only differences I could really appreciate was that Cotter seemed less driving in terms of pace and tempo. I also didn’t care for the repetitive almost rolling he was doing for most of the slow part of the jam (really liked Ricks playing in that slower part though). Lastly the final peaking didn’t seem to land as smoothly as a lot of Goose jams. Rick seemed to be just slightly ahead of the rest of the band, which he often is with Trev and Peter but I think that the kinda more driving style of Ben kept those two together.

…..

So after I listened and wrote all of the above I decided to listen to a Tumble with Ben, randomly picked the 2023 Cap one, seems like a good comparison. Ben’s sound is definitely more vibrant, dynamic and in general more prominent. Ben also seems to get way more sounds out of that kit and his playing at least in that song was more diversified. This is, of course, an incredibly small sample size and no conclusions can be drawn from two songs, but apples to apples comparison to my ears the drumming is the 2023 Tumble is far superior to that in the 2024. The one thing I will say about the Cotter version is that I enjoyed Rick’s playing of the slow part of the jam better in the 2024 version so maybe Ben pushed the tempo too much at times.

I say all this yet also admit, as i’ve said many times, that I don’t feel like I have a particularly discernible ear for the intricacies of good drumming so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Probably more influential to the bands sound, Rick seems to have resolved his tone issues. Maybe issues isn’t fair to say, but he’s revised his tone and I think it sounds notable better than what I heard during some of the more recent things I have listened to including parts of the new Ted Tapes.
    Old 04-17-2024, 08:17 PM   #9847
    smudge1
    Unreal

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Goose merch is just horrible.
    At the time I didn't think I did.
    I believe now that I do, however... but I don't care.
    smudge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-17-2024, 08:59 PM   #9848
    Tomacco

Shows Seen: 134

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smudge1 View Post
    I like it generally. Lots of options. I do wish they had a few more simple options though, like their simple logo on a shirt or hat (without an orange band around the brim).
    Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM   #9849
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Thought they made some nice womens stuff for the cap run, nothing I would buy on the mens side though.

Really just want a normal dad hat, Billy is adverse to selling these too. I dont get it, they will sell, hell I will pay $40 for one if you use '47 brand. I bought the tan one with the colorful logo last summer but its just too goofy looking to wear regularly.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 06:32 AM   #9850
    madpiker

Shows Seen: 132

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smudge1 View Post
    it's pretty bad. every now and then they'll hit a homerun (usually their special event shirts - Cap run '23, Goosemas '23).

they have some of the best posters in the jam scene though, so at least there's that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
    I like it generally. Lots of options. I do wish they had a few more simple options though, like their simple logo on a shirt or hat (without an orange band around the brim).
    they do have their simple script logo on a shirt. in a variety of colors, too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    Thought they made some nice womens stuff for the cap run, nothing I would buy on the mens side though.

Really just want a normal dad hat, Billy is adverse to selling these too. I dont get it, they will sell, hell I will pay $40 for one if you use '47 brand. I bought the tan one with the colorful logo last summer but its just too goofy looking to wear regularly.
    they need a normal hat. think is a problem overall in the jam scene.

have yet to find a normal Umphreys hat in 10 years.
    Gorge FAQ ---Gorge Roster/Flag list
    madpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM   #9851
    ggies

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crush_me_16125 View Post
    Finally listened to that Cap Tumble TLP suggested. Tumble is a good tune. In terms of Cotter vs Ben differences, honestly probably wouldn’t have noticed had I not already known. I didn’t really notice any major differences in the bands sound or jam approach, it’s still Rick destroys and everyone else is just kinda there. But listening intently to the drumming the only differences I could really appreciate was that Cotter seemed less driving in terms of pace and tempo. I also didn’t care for the repetitive almost rolling he was doing for most of the slow part of the jam (really liked Ricks playing in that slower part though). Lastly the final peaking didn’t seem to land as smoothly as a lot of Goose jams. Rick seemed to be just slightly ahead of the rest of the band, which he often is with Trev and Peter but I think that the kinda more driving style of Ben kept those two together.

…..

So after I listened and wrote all of the above I decided to listen to a Tumble with Ben, randomly picked the 2023 Cap one, seems like a good comparison. Ben’s sound is definitely more vibrant, dynamic and in general more prominent. Ben also seems to get way more sounds out of that kit and his playing at least in that song was more diversified. This is, of course, an incredibly small sample size and no conclusions can be drawn from two songs, but apples to apples comparison to my ears the drumming is the 2023 Tumble is far superior to that in the 2024. The one thing I will say about the Cotter version is that I enjoyed Rick’s playing of the slow part of the jam better in the 2024 version so maybe Ben pushed the tempo too much at times.

I say all this yet also admit, as i’ve said many times, that I don’t feel like I have a particularly discernible ear for the intricacies of good drumming so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Probably more influential to the bands sound, Rick seems to have resolved his tone issues. Maybe issues isn’t fair to say, but he’s revised his tone and I think it sounds notable better than what I heard during some of the more recent things I have listened to including parts of the new Ted Tapes.
    Actually, as a drummer, the part from you that I put in bold is spot on. To me, Cotter is there just to keep the rhythm...nothing special.

And thank god someone else noticed his crushed roll on the snare! It seems like it is his "go to" rhythm because he does it on almost everything. Then like you said, barley using the whole drumset.

This is all quite annoying for someone like me that focuses on this instrument.

I guess Goose wanted to slow things down back there, but man, not feeling it right now.
    ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 07:09 AM   #9852
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

He got kind of thrown into the fire learning the catalog in like 3.5 months, I wasnt exactly shocked not seeing a ton of flair from him. Going to take some time for him to know the songs intimately enough to start adding his own voice. Was happy to hear a drum solo though, something I dont think Ben literally ever did.

Quote:
    Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM   #9853
    ggies

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    He got kind of thrown into the fire learning the catalog in like 3.5 months, I wasnt exactly shocked not seeing a ton of flair from him. Going to take some time for him to know the songs intimately enough to start adding his own voice. Was happy to hear a drum solo though, something I dont think Ben literally ever did.
    They could have waited until the actual Summer tour, which would have given him two more months....

Yes, Ben did not have solos and was the only thing missing. IMO

Yeah, I do agree that solo break in Earthling by Cotter was nice.

Last edited by ggies; Yesterday at 07:28 AM.
    Old Yesterday, 07:31 AM   #9854
    Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Man, I couldn't be happier that Ricks tone is "back to normal". It was so off for a while that it's almost hard to listen to those older shows.
    Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM   #9855
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Man, I couldn't be happier that Ricks tone is "back to normal". It was so off for a while that it's almost hard to listen to those older shows.

Agreed.

I struggled to listen at times over the last year or so because of that. The Cap shows are fantastic in that regard.

Also, Cotter sounds good to me so far, but it does seem like the percussion in general has been turned down in the mix for Chateau and Cap. I’m wondering if that’s intentional for now as Cotter gets into the groove
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM   #9856
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

As a non-drummer I noticed basically zero difference in the drumming itself.

I thought as a whole they sounded better/more inspired than the few months preceding Ben's exit though. I listen to most shows and I found the fall Europe tour to be a bit of a slog to get through, I bailed like halfway through the tour.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM   #9857
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ggies View Post
    They could have waited until the actual Summer tour, which would have given him two more months....

I think they did it right, small run at a smaller theater so he can get his feet wet then reel back rather than starting immediately at a festival in front of a big crowd and roll right into a summer at some big sheds.

Just think you have to give it through summer at least before really getting a feel for what he can do in the band. Their jamming communication I thought was good and better than I was expecting. Finding his groove in the songs themselves is another thing.

Quote:

Last edited by TheLastPig; Yesterday at 07:43 AM.
    Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM   #9858
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

The less it's the Rick show the better, need Cotter to add more than keeping time and Peter to keep improving on the keys
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM   #9859
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    As a non-drummer I noticed basically zero difference in the drumming itself.

I thought as a whole they sounded better/more inspired than the few months preceding Ben's exit though. I listen to most shows and I found the fall Europe tour to be a bit of a slog to get through, I bailed like halfway through the tour.

Everything after red rocks was very stale. Save for like 5-6 song performances, all of europe was a snooze fest, they were clearly going through the motions because of the internal issues.

Quote:
    Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM   #9860
    ggies

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think they did it right, small run at a smaller theater so he can get his feet wet then reel back rather than starting immediately at a festival in front of a big crowd and roll right into a summer at some big sheds.

Just think you have to give it through summer at least before really getting a feel for what he can do in the band. Their jamming communication I thought was good and better than I was expecting. Finding his groove in the songs themselves is another thing.
    Maybe so...and that is true. I'm not expecting Cotter to do EVERYTHING like Ben, but to me there were certain parts/rhythms that Ben set in certain songs and they are no longer there...hard to just have to sit here and let time do its thing.

Oh, I'm also so happy that Rick's tone is back!
    Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM   #9861
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Actually, as a drummer, the part from you that I put in bold is spot on. To me, Cotter is there just to keep the rhythm...nothing special.

And thank god someone else noticed his crushed roll on the snare! It seems like it is his "go to" rhythm because he does it on almost everything. Then like you said, barley using the whole drumset.

This is all quite annoying for someone like me that focuses on this instrument.

I guess Goose wanted to slow things down back there, but man, not feeling it right now.
    Well thank you for posting this because it provides me with some assurance that I am not tone def to the drums!
    Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM   #9862
    hensleytyler44

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:

Also Cotter's solo chorus in Give It Time was so good. That beat he played on that last chorus has been stuck in my head since I heard it last week.
    hensleytyler44 is offline   Reply With Quote