Hartford stories... Who's got em - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #91
mr. testaverde
King of Prussia

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Hartford stories... Who's got em

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenMaven View Post
Check this place out, tasty homebrews, and many DMB fans before and after shows:
http://www.citysteambrewerycafe.com/
love that place

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-16-2008, 10:22 AM   #92
    0n3sw33tw0rld
    <3

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

okay so i have a new story from this year at hartford.. n2...

i was on the lawn (sucks...) and obviously it was all wet and muddy.. so when the concert was over, i was with 3 of my girlfriends and we're all holding hands in a line just storming through the crowd.. the lawn is on a decline so once we're getting to the very bottom of the lawn, there is a sort of mudslide if you will. we paused and tried to think of the best way to go to avoid slipping, falling, etc. As we are thinking, we see a girl in a white tube dress run down the slope and she fell face down into the mud. It seriously was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. The funnier part is that she waited a few seconds before getting up and just layed there, face pressed against the slushy mud. Poor girl, but I really had a good laugh. Wish I had a camera with me.

And also.. before the show even started.. a couple in their 30's (i'm guessing) had a huge blanket layed out, marking their territory, and the woman opens up a big red umbrella and proceeds to hold it. The band was coming on in like 5 minutes, so I tapped her on the shoulder and said "I'm sorry, could you please put that down because its really blocking a lot of people's view." I didn't think I was out of line for doing it, and I asked pretty nicely. She looked at her hubby as if she was shocked that anyone was asking her to do this and reluctantly put the umbrella down. Then, picked up a hoodless-jacket and put it over her head, blocking almost as much of a view as the umbrella did!! haha it was ridiculous, so we just searched for a hole in the crowd and moved away from the lady. A little rain never hurt no one, embrace it
    Old 05-24-2018, 04:14 PM   #93
    GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I haven't been to a Hartford DMB show since either 2000 or 2001. And then I took a total break from the band, recorded or live, for 10 yrs 2008-2018.

Now that I'm back, and especially reading the "Away from DMB for 10 yrs" thread is making me seriously reminisce. One of my top 5 ever ever (or maybe 2 of my top 5) DMB shows ever would be the times I had front row at Hartford Meadows TWICE in A ROW, 7/31/98 and 8/1/98, although I seem to remember 7/31/98 being far far better than 8/1/98? But for me, front row almost center, BTCS songs galore, a million interactions between band and audience... it remains a total favorite. Might only be surpassed in fun by Worcester 12/7/98 and that ridiculous setlist, amazing Last Stop, and for that I was 4th row. But these Hartford shows.... precious memories indeed. Very fun reading the more recent memories!
    GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2018, 04:26 PM   #94
    bigeyedpigs

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GraceBuckley View Post
    I haven't been to a Hartford DMB show since either 2000 or 2001. And then I took a total break from the band, recorded or live, for 10 yrs 2008-2018.

Now that I'm back, and especially reading the "Away from DMB for 10 yrs" thread is making me seriously reminisce. One of my top 5 ever ever (or maybe 2 of my top 5) DMB shows ever would be the times I had front row at Hartford Meadows TWICE in A ROW, 7/31/98 and 8/1/98, although I seem to remember 7/31/98 being far far better than 8/1/98? But for me, front row almost center, BTCS songs galore, a million interactions between band and audience... it remains a total favorite. Might only be surpassed in fun by Worcester 12/7/98 and that ridiculous setlist, amazing Last Stop, and for that I was 4th row. But these Hartford shows.... precious memories indeed. Very fun reading the more recent memories!
    They put on some great shows at the meadows. The crowds are a bit more mellow these days too.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2018, 04:47 PM   #95
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

There are so many stories about drunk people and the craziness that goes on in the lots and on the lawn, but as far as DMB related stories go, 2010 when they opened the tour there was awesome. They liberated so many songs. I want those shows released.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2018, 04:52 PM   #96
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigeyedpigs View Post
    They put on some great shows at the meadows. The crowds are a bit more mellow these days too.
    Inside was always magical, but outside I do remember tales of riots, burned police cars(!), and pepper spray at a few shows. And pepper spray was inside too for a Pearl Jam show i saw there in '96.

Glad it's a bit more mellow now!
    Old 05-24-2018, 05:02 PM   #97
    bigeyedpigs

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah I spent summers at the meadows those lots were pretty crazy back in the day.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2018, 05:21 PM   #98
    aggiekjw

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

5/26/12. Best show i've seen. Mid set Two Step was killer. Stanley Jordan on LIOG best guest I ever saw.
    aggiekjw is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2018, 05:22 PM   #99
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Have fun everyone going this year. I haven’t made the trip to Hartford since 2014, but I have great memories. Been to 10 shows there, including opening weekend 2010.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2018, 07:54 PM   #100
    misschung

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Everyone told me Hartford was a pit, but I didn't think it was bad at all. The tailgating location isn't the greatest, but the venue inside is decent.
    Old 05-24-2018, 09:36 PM   #101
    berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

My Tour Central Stats

I can't wait for this year
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998
    berman1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2018, 04:14 AM   #102
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Something about Hartford inspires magic. 2 of my fave touring bands ever are DMB and Pearl Jam. I've seen both bands many times, all over the US over the years, and for each some of their Hartford shows remain incredible anomalies and standout super shows. No idea why, but I'll take it!
    Old 05-25-2018, 04:55 AM   #103
    Mateo2k

Shows Seen: 91

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well, not a total break. You did seek out and join a DMB fan forum in 2016.
    Mateo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2018, 05:57 AM   #104
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mateo2k View Post
    Well, not a total break. You did seek out and join a DMB fan forum in 2016.
    True, it was something about Roi that made me come back in '16, I can't remember why but it felt really important to check in again. This time though I'm actually getting back into the music, which I didn't last time...
    Old 05-25-2018, 06:54 AM   #105
    SyracuseFan
    American Baby Intro

My Tour Central Stats

Been to 10+ shows at Hartford over the years.

The whole town is one big frat house where anything goes. Nothing like some hartford hotel poolside drinking. It will always have a special place in my heart.

Great times in the Hartford pit.
    SyracuseFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2018, 06:59 AM   #106
    SyracuseFan
    American Baby Intro

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aggiekjw View Post
    5/26/12. Best show i've seen. Mid set Two Step was killer. Stanley Jordan on LIOG best guest I ever saw.
    Yes. A version I will never forget. I also remember Stanley creeping around the crowd at one point during the show. I had a chat with him for a while.
    SyracuseFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2018, 08:39 AM   #107
    IDidIt41

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

The first few shows this tour have me excited for the show this year.

My first show (seeing the band AND in Hartford) was 08.05.07: what a show! Shotgun...just wow. Those days we would do the free, dirt lot. What a shit show that place is. I remember one year there was a horde of high school kids drinking and causing a huge scene. Cops came over with a paddywagon and took away 15-20 kids for underage drinking. One kid tried to run away and was chased down by cops on horseback..pretty entertaining.

Nowadays..I'll pay the $20/$30 for a "private lot". I'm not talking Erotic Zone or Midas. Eckart and Finard for the win! Good people over there. Great space for some fun and it's an easy out after the show.

See y'all soon!
    IDidIt41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2018, 09:39 AM   #108
    chumm41
    Power to stage left

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IDidIt41 View Post
    The first few shows this tour have me excited for the show this year.

My first show (seeing the band AND in Hartford) was 08.05.07: what a show! Shotgun...just wow. Those days we would do the free, dirt lot. What a shit show that place is. I remember one year there was a horde of high school kids drinking and causing a huge scene. Cops came over with a paddywagon and took away 15-20 kids for underage drinking. One kid tried to run away and was chased down by cops on horseback..pretty entertaining.

Nowadays..I'll pay the $20/$30 for a "private lot". I'm not talking Erotic Zone or Midas. Eckart and Finard for the win! Good people over there. Great space for some fun and it's an easy out after the show.

See y'all soon!
    Hey now Erotic Zone is where its at. Been parking there since like 2006, shit I'm old.
    Old 05-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #109
    berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Something about Hartford inspires magic. 2 of my fave touring bands ever are DMB and Pearl Jam. I've seen both bands many times, all over the US over the years, and for each some of their Hartford shows remain incredible anomalies and standout super shows. No idea why, but I'll take it!
    Phish throws down in Hartford too!

I think dmb part of it is that it was their first major amptheather in the northeast that they regularly hit up. They feel comfortable playing there.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998
    berman1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2023, 07:28 PM   #110
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

I remember when I first got into DMB, in '95, there were several people on the "Nancies Listserve" who'd known the band from their start or a few who knew members before the band existed. They sometimes shared stories that gave these cool snippets or slices of a view into what they're like in their downtime, without ever violating privacy/sharing "too much". I still remember some of those stories and how much they made me smile and appreciate a fuller picture of this band I was so amazed by.

With this being 25 yrs since BTCS was released, I said to someone (Hi Xcacel!) that maybe I'd dig into my journals and find a few interesting snippets to share, and I had these posts of other people in my early days as a fan in mind. So because I had a crazy work day & it was a treat to dig out this journal & read this... And because a few people were nice enough to vouch for me today (Hi also blumathu & lukin23!), instead of a story with a point, here is a snippet of what my 1st show (or post-show) on the BTCS tour was like, and it was my favorite unpredictable, usually chaos in the parking lot & on the lawn venue: Hartford's Meadows Music Theater! Was anyone else at the '96 Pearl Jam show there when there was a mini riot on the lawn & police sprayed pepper spray which affected like 1/3 of the entire audience? Memories!

I think I saw DMB there 10 times total in just 6 years at Meadows (and they played 14 times in same years, 3 shows becoming Live Trax (3, 47 & 57)). The energy of this journal entry was buzzing because I loved this album so much and had had SUCH a fantastic time in the front row dancing & singing my ass off (tix I got on the phone with Ticketmaster, I had figured out the right timing in those days!), and I hadn't seen them for awhile, so this snippet is just a slice of what the scene was like after a 1998 BTCS show on the tour bus (they still traveled all on 1 bus then)...

"8/3/98 My 33 hours in Hartford, CT at DMB/AGR [Agents of Good Roots] shows: [This just covers post 7/31/98 show, tho I covered pre & post 8/1/98 too in this entry] ... After show waited by backstage gate & saw ___ [tour manager, call him TM], he knew I had passes & asked if I had anyone with me (didn't). He took me to the "low pro" area by the buses (low profile) and I knocked, Carter, Stefan & Roi were on the bus. It was great to see them, we hung out, drank wine, and watched Jimi Hendrix's Isle of Wight performance which they told me was just a month before he died. It was SO COOL watching Hendrix do Watchtower with 3/5 of DMB when I'd just watched them play it. Then I gave them the gift I'd brought, the Sun Ra video. Roi was particularly happy to get it. Eventually Coran, Dave & TM all got on. Carter & Roi made me start the Dave Letterman/Pearl Jam story over again 3 times so Dave & Coran heard the whole thing. Then we talked about: Vernon Downs, a 70s Robin Williams video, and "Horsebears" (Dave of course on the Horsebears!). Dave was also psyched about the Sun Ra video and told me he'd seen him 6 times total, 3 in Cville. By then we'd arrived at the hotel, hung out in the really nice bar, and I caught up with _____ (an old really good friend of band) and eventually everyone came back down from their rooms and this time the convo covered..." [End scene! ]

So belated Happy 25th Annversary 1st show (for me) of the BTCS era! I wish I wrote way more about the shows themselves, but the stuff I really worried I'd forget was the interesting convos and funny experiences. Now and then though show details did get captured.

This was a short post for me, right Xcacel?
    Old 11-14-2023, 09:22 PM   #111
    Starfire
    Rhyme and/or Reason

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aggiekjw View Post
    Yep! And the Halloween > Billies to close it all out? What an incredible show that was
    Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2023, 05:26 AM   #112
    blumathu

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I remember when I first got into DMB, in '95, there were several people on the "Nancies Listserve" who'd known the band from their start or a few who knew members before the band existed. They sometimes shared stories that gave these cool snippets or slices of a view into what they're like in their downtime, without ever violating privacy/sharing "too much". I still remember some of those stories and how much they made me smile and appreciate a fuller picture of this band I was so amazed by.

With this being 25 yrs since BTCS was released, I said to someone (Hi Xcacel!) that maybe I'd dig into my journals and find a few interesting snippets to share, and I had these posts of other people in my early days as a fan in mind. So because I had a crazy work day & it was a treat to dig out this journal & read this... And because a few people were nice enough to vouch for me today (Hi also blumathu & lukin23!), instead of a story with a point, here is a snippet of what my 1st show (or post-show) on the BTCS tour was like, and it was my favorite unpredictable, usually chaos in the parking lot & on the lawn venue: Hartford's Meadows Music Theater! Was anyone else at the '96 Pearl Jam show there when there was a mini riot on the lawn & police sprayed pepper spray which affected like 1/3 of the entire audience? Memories!

I think I saw DMB there 10 times total in just 6 years at Meadows (and they played 14 times in same years, 3 shows becoming Live Trax (3, 47 & 57)). The energy of this journal entry was buzzing because I loved this album so much and had had SUCH a fantastic time in the front row dancing & singing my ass off (tix I got on the phone with Ticketmaster, I had figured out the right timing in those days!), and I hadn't seen them for awhile, so this snippet is just a slice of what the scene was like after a 1998 BTCS show on the tour bus (they still traveled all on 1 bus then)...

"8/3/98 My 33 hours in Hartford, CT at DMB/AGR [Agents of Good Roots] shows: [This just covers post 7/31/98 show, tho I covered pre & post 8/1/98 too in this entry] ... After show waited by backstage gate & saw ___ [tour manager, call him TM], he knew I had passes & asked if I had anyone with me (didn't). He took me to the "low pro" area by the buses (low profile) and I knocked, Carter, Stefan & Roi were on the bus. It was great to see them, we hung out, drank wine, and watched Jimi Hendrix's Isle of Wight performance which they told me was just a month before he died. It was SO COOL watching Hendrix do Watchtower with 3/5 of DMB when I'd just watched them play it. Then I gave them the gift I'd brought, the Sun Ra video. Roi was particularly happy to get it. Eventually Coran, Dave & TM all got on. Carter & Roi made me start the Dave Letterman/Pearl Jam story over again 3 times so Dave & Coran heard the whole thing. Then we talked about: Vernon Downs, a 70s Robin Williams video, and "Horsebears" (Dave of course on the Horsebears!). Dave was also psyched about the Sun Ra video and told me he'd seen him 6 times total, 3 in Cville. By then we'd arrived at the hotel, hung out in the really nice bar, and I caught up with _____ (an old really good friend of band) and eventually everyone came back down from their rooms and this time the convo covered..." [End scene! ]

So belated Happy 25th Annversary 1st show (for me) of the BTCS era! I wish I wrote way more about the shows themselves, but the stuff I really worried I'd forget was the interesting convos and funny experiences. Now and then though show details did get captured.

This was a short post for me, right Xcacel?
    I love when you post stuff like this, thanks again! What did you think of AGR? They blew me away at Blossom, so much so that I bought their album One by One, which is fantastic. I still listen to it.
    blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2023, 06:10 AM   #113
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
    I love when you post stuff like this, thanks again! What did you think of AGR? They blew me away at Blossom, so much so that I bought their album One by One, which is fantastic. I still listen to it.
    I was super impressed by AGR! I made a point of seeing them do their own shows several times after that over the next couple of years, but I think I lost track of them after that. Haven't heard about them in ages, but that could be because I'm out of the loop, or they aren't together anymore? It was, after all, 25 yrs ago...
    Old 11-15-2023, 07:18 AM   #114
    blumathu

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I was super impressed by AGR! I made a point of seeing them do their own shows several times after that over the next couple of years, but I think I lost track of them after that. Haven't heard about them in ages, but that could be because I'm out of the loop, or they aren't together anymore? It was, after all, 25 yrs ago...
    They stopped playing in the early 2000s I think, but got back together recently to do a few small shows.
    Old 11-15-2023, 07:22 AM   #115
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Cool! Any near you and did you see them?
    Old 11-15-2023, 08:13 AM   #116
    blumathu

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Cool! Any near you and did you see them?
    Unfortunately I haven't seen them since '98, I think they are mostly playing around Virginia.
    Old 11-15-2023, 02:13 PM   #117
    BOTRNewmusic

Shows Seen: 99

My Tour Central Stats

went to so many hartford shows
    but my best memory was after 7/31/98, getting back to my hotel, the goodwin hotel and getting in the elevator and dave got in as the door were closing
    rode the elevator and had a quick chat with him
    michael mcdonald (later jm's manager) was with him
    good times
    12/15/95, 6/9/96, 10/4/96, 12/30/96, 6/10/97, 6/11/97, 5/29/98, 6/7/98, 7/31/98, 8/1/98, 11/21/98, 12/2/98, 12/3/98, 12/5/98, 5/20-21-22/99, 5/25/99, 5/26/99, 8/3/99, 8/4/99, 8/6-7-8/99, 7/12/00, 12/5/00, 4/21/01, 5/26-27/01, 6/11-12-13/01, 4/5/02, 9/6/03, 9/24/03, 7/21/04, 10/1/04, 5/9/05, 6/18/05, 7/30-31/05, 12/9/05, 12/10/05, 6/16/06, 6/27-28/06, 7/28-29/06, 8/5-6/06, 7/7/07, 8/1/07, 8/4/07
    BOTRNewmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2023, 02:22 PM   #118
    Gunz

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    There are so many stories about drunk people and the craziness that goes on in the lots and on the lawn, but as far as DMB related stories go, 2010 when they opened the tour there was awesome. They liberated so many songs. I want those shows released.
    Those shows were fantastic. Super 8 baby!
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2023, 03:29 PM   #119
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BOTRNewmusic View Post
    went to so many hartford shows
    but my best memory was after 7/31/98, getting back to my hotel, the goodwin hotel and getting in the elevator and dave got in as the door were closing
    rode the elevator and had a quick chat with him
    michael mcdonald (later jm's manager) was with him
    good times
    I never post hotel names of bands, but if you read my post a few posts above this, when I said "By then we were at the hotel..." Dave and MM must've gotten off the bus and onto your elevator! I think MM's wife was on the bus too, so did 3 of them get on your elevator?
    Old 11-16-2023, 10:52 AM   #120
    JboDaveGuyYNK

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Nothing like hoping on Ants and seeing a Hartford bump.
    JboDaveGuyYNK is online now   Reply With Quote