Lawncare/Landscape Thread - Page 143 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old Today, 07:42 AM   #4261
scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Lawncare/Landscape Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeap View Post
Hey all! Dropping in for some needed advice. Our lawn was destroyed by drought last year and ended up with lots of bare spots. I decided to do a winter overseed and laid it down mid December, hoping for a spring germination. As of now, nothing has popped up. I suspect it hasn't been warm enough to germinate, but I'm starting to get impatient. Five day average soil temp is just above 50. I'm wondering how long to wait until I give up and drop some fresh seed. In the meantime, I have yet to mow so I don't do any damage, but some spots are getting out of control. I also have a decent collection of weeds starting to sprout in the dead patches. I put a call in to get an assessment with our first fertilizer appointment, but meanwhile our yard looks like trash. Any thoughts?
Pull your pants down. Stick your dick in it. Parry and thrust.
scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old Today, 07:46 AM   #4262
    JimBeam41

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hey all! Dropping in for some needed advice. Our lawn was destroyed by drought last year and ended up with lots of bare spots. I decided to do a winter overseed and laid it down mid December, hoping for a spring germination. As of now, nothing has popped up. I suspect it hasn't been warm enough to germinate, but I'm starting to get impatient. Five day average soil temp is just above 50. I'm wondering how long to wait until I give up and drop some fresh seed. In the meantime, I have yet to mow so I don't do any damage, but some spots are getting out of control. I also have a decent collection of weeds starting to sprout in the dead patches. I put a call in to get an assessment with our first fertilizer appointment, but meanwhile our yard looks like trash. Any thoughts?
    I'm not quite sure, but i can say, if you are in Rochester, NY which your bio says, it wasn't the best idea to overseed in mid December. For us northeast folks, that's usually a late September project allowing the seed to germinate throughout October. I personally would hold off longer before i do anything, i wouldn't throw down more seed, your lawn probably hasn't fully woken up yet being in Rochester. You can mow the lawn though.
    JimBeam41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Today, 08:31 AM   #4263
    Mikeap

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    Pull your pants down. Stick your dick in it. Parry and thrust.
    Tried that already. It didn't work and the neighbors weren't too happy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
    I'm not quite sure, but i can say, if you are in Rochester, NY which your bio says, it wasn't the best idea to overseed in mid December. For us northeast folks, that's usually a late September project allowing the seed to germinate throughout October. I personally would hold off longer before i do anything, i wouldn't throw down more seed, your lawn probably hasn't fully woken up yet being in Rochester. You can mow the lawn though.
    The plan was to put the seed down after the freeze, then let it germinate in the spring. I talked to a few local lawn people that said it should be ok. But the winter was so mild this year I'm wondering if that screwed it up. I think I'll try and mow this weekend and just keep an eye on it a bit longer.
    Mikeap is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Today, 08:40 AM   #4264
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

We’ve probably spoken before but what area of the city are you in?
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Today, 09:27 AM   #4265
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

If the soil is 50 degrees, then I don't think it's quite warm enough to germinate yet. I thought it was 55 degrees before things "wake" up. That being said, the normal spring protocol is to apply a pre-emergent to prevent weeds before or right when the soil temps reach 50-55 degrees, but that will prevent grass seed from germinating too. So if you're going to allow your grass seed to germinate, then you'll probably have to accept that you're allowing weeds to grow too.

The grass seed needs to be kept continuously moist or close to it as well. It's possible with the mild winter that the seeds started to germinate and then froze, which I can imagine would be a problem. I would wait until the soil temps reach 55 degrees and see if anything is happening.

Last edited by Benny003; Today at 09:29 AM.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Today, 03:22 PM   #4266
    Mikeap

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    We’ve probably spoken before but what area of the city are you in?
    I'm a west sider
    Mikeap is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Today, 04:01 PM   #4267
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm a west sider
    Fucking A, baby!