New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 51 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 04-16-2021, 08:33 AM   #1501
ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
All of a sudden I had this feeling that the new album - that we all waiting so badly - will be worse than Come Tomorrow.
I actually have the opposite feeling, that this next album will be pretty great. But either way, there’s very little chance it will be worse- because at least this album has one producer for one studio session. It will be coherent, regardless of quality.

...if we ever get to hear it...
ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-16-2021, 08:50 AM   #1502
    HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    All of a sudden I had this feeling that the new album - that we all waiting so badly - will be worse than Come Tomorrow.
    Yep. Unfortunately I feel the same. And 6 months plus now after they were in the studio working on it there's been relatively nothing new regarding. Also, going in the studio one by one or two at a time doesn't lend itself to believe it's a real cohesive effort.

Also, super weird for Dave to have gone mostly silent in 2021 until yesterday. He's probably as burnt out as the rest of us on doing screen related things, but I find it strange he hasn't been doing anything since December.
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-16-2021, 08:51 AM   #1503
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They would have to try really hard to make something worse than CT.
    eggsrsweet is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-16-2021, 08:57 AM   #1504
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post
    Also, going in the studio one by one or two at a time doesn't lend itself to believe it's a real cohesive effort.
    I have never liked this argument whenever it comes up. Because that's probably how 80% of their catalogue has been written; Dave writes something by himself, he brings it to Carter/Stefan, horn(s)/violin write their parts after. I think only BTCS and Big Whiskey are the only albums (that we know of) where the entire band was actively sitting in a room creating the songs from scratch together.

Dave's songwriting just isn't what it used to be; that's why the songs aren't as good anymore.
    eggsrsweet is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-16-2021, 09:06 AM   #1505
    CrAzYEasyDMB04
    This is the Last Stop

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I dont think we will get any information on an album until the songs are road tested.
    Old 04-16-2021, 09:09 AM   #1506
    CrAzYEasyDMB04
    This is the Last Stop

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eggsrsweet View Post
    They would have to try really hard to make something worse than CT.
    remember, thats just your opinion. Its wrong... but I respect it.
    Old 04-16-2021, 09:11 AM   #1507
    CrAzYEasyDMB04
    This is the Last Stop

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I have never liked this argument whenever it comes up. Because that's probably how 80% of their catalogue has been written; Dave writes something by himself, he brings it to Carter/Stefan, horn(s)/violin write their parts after. I think only BTCS and Big Whiskey are the only albums (that we know of) where the entire band was actively sitting in a room creating the songs from scratch together.

Dave's songwriting just isn't what it used to be; that's why the songs aren't as good anymore.
    Ive never liked this argument either... look at the work The Eagles put forth... they were hardly in the studio recording pieces together at the same time.
    Old 04-16-2021, 11:40 AM   #1508
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

You bring up an excellent point. Touche. It's just similar to how Grateful Dead approached the studio as well. Other than 3 great studio albums, they more or less created blueprints in the studio that allowed them to create masterpieces on stage. They ALSO wrote a ton of crappy stuff in their last decade. I think most artists just lose that thing that drives them to write great material at some point.

I don't think Dave writes a ton of poor quality stuff. It's just the rush to complete it or making confusing decisions as to what goes into an album when seemingly great ideas, fan approved ideas are left off the table.

You and Me
    Come Tomorrow
    Mercy
    Come on Come On

Etc..

Are not terrible, they're just nowhere near what songs like Sugar Will, Joyride, Bismarck, etc.. songs that aren't on studio albums could be.

Virginia Naked in the Rain is one of the most brilliant recordings the band has ever made. It could almost fit into BTCS. Great lyrics, lush production, depth, worthy of multiple relistens... It's a DIFFERENT sound, but it's a quality one. Come Tomorrow, If Only, Belly Belly Nice sound like they were written in the morning and recorded in the afternoon. Just no depth or care in terms of production.

That's more what I'm implying by a cohesive thoughtful effort in the studio. you are correct that it shouldn't matter if all members are physically present, but I don't want a record that sounds like a demo this time around. I want some thought put into it. Make it a piece of art. Not a piece of candy.

Last edited by HonestDenver1; 04-16-2021 at 11:41 AM.
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-16-2021, 12:16 PM   #1509
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

We interrupt this stagnating thread to bring you more tired-ass CT bashing.

Later tonight, complaining about tonight's request set.

Weather and sports at the top of the hour.
    grilldanmo is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-16-2021, 03:00 PM   #1510
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    We interrupt this stagnating thread to bring you more tired-ass CT bashing.

Later tonight, complaining about tonight's request set.

Weather and sports at the top of the hour.
    Says the guy who bashes Everyday and Stand Up every chance he gets. There is no problem with people having different opinions on which albums they do and don't like.

(for the record, I like CT)
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-16-2021, 03:17 PM   #1511
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You bring up an excellent point. Touche. It's just similar to how Grateful Dead approached the studio as well. Other than 3 great studio albums, they more or less created blueprints in the studio that allowed them to create masterpieces on stage. They ALSO wrote a ton of crappy stuff in their last decade. I think most artists just lose that thing that drives them to write great material at some point.

I don't think Dave writes a ton of poor quality stuff. It's just the rush to complete it or making confusing decisions as to what goes into an album when seemingly great ideas, fan approved ideas are left off the table.

You and Me
    Come Tomorrow
    Mercy
    Come on Come On

Etc..

Are not terrible, they're just nowhere near what songs like Sugar Will, Joyride, Bismarck, etc.. songs that aren't on studio albums could be.

Virginia Naked in the Rain is one of the most brilliant recordings the band has ever made. It could almost fit into BTCS. Great lyrics, lush production, depth, worthy of multiple relistens... It's a DIFFERENT sound, but it's a quality one. Come Tomorrow, If Only, Belly Belly Nice sound like they were written in the morning and recorded in the afternoon. Just no depth or care in terms of production.

That's more what I'm implying by a cohesive thoughtful effort in the studio. you are correct that it shouldn't matter if all members are physically present, but I don't want a record that sounds like a demo this time around. I want some thought put into it. Make it a piece of art. Not a piece of candy.
    This is what it boils down to. Solid post Denver. Solid post.
    Old 04-16-2021, 03:51 PM   #1512
    BF101519

Shows Seen: 34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

You and Me
    Come Tomorrow
    Mercy
    Come on Come On

Etc..

Amen. I agree totally with this.

And I think the root of the issue for DMB (as pointed out in other posts above) is that Dave just doesn't write as well as he used to. He's a different guy now than he was 30 years ago. For DMB to ever make something close to what they made with BTCS or LWS, Dave needs to re-kindle some of that old song writing magic he had. Virginia in the Rain gives me hope that we might see a few more gems come out with whatever the band releases in the future.
    BF101519 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-16-2021, 05:41 PM   #1513
    deadendstreet

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I'll give my take on DMB's studio efforts as a creative person.

I used to work in digital marketing. The PBS station I worked for needed digital content but didn't have the money or the time to hire someone. So I grabbed a camera and taught myself and created some pretty good art content. It was easy for me. There were zero expectations for me. Everyone assumed what I would create would probably suck and when it didn't I got a lot of praise.

However, then the same station needed me to create more content, stuff that I was in less control over. They had higher expectations. I was on a deadline. It wasn't near as fun, and alas, the content wasn't nearly as good.

My point is, in the early nineties, Dave wrote a shit ton of songs with zero expectations. He didn't have a producer telling him how to write or what to write. He didn;t have record executives breathing down his neck. He was having a blast. They made two records with pretty much pre-written material. BTCS came around and Steve new how to work with them, that Dave wrote some more awesome tunes. Some with LWS. The problem is, writing became a job for Dave and was he was no longer doing it for fun. It became more difficult because, like all of us, he peaked. When you first starting learning a new skill or job, you have this burst of creativity. But at some point, you lose that energy. You now have people telling you what to do. You lose that passion. There still may be a glimmer of it there, but it's not near as strong as it use to be.

Dave has the talent. But he's now distracted with other things. Kids, friends, side business, etc. IMO, he still writes good songs. Shotgun, Good Good Time, Break Free, Samuria Cop are all good songs. But he no longer has the desire to sit in a studio and really put out a good album. It's not longer fun for him. So he goes in, forces 12 songs, and wahla, we have an album.

I have no idea why DMB doesn't record some of the good songs they have written in the past two decades and while I'm interested in hearing a new album. I honestly would prefer that they would just record Eh-Hee type singles and release a couple every year.

Rant over,
    Old 04-17-2021, 11:24 PM   #1514
    Slackdoodle

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm with you on all of this *except* "If Only." That song is absolutely lovely in its simplicity. There are parts of AFTW that feel forced or clunky, but "If Only" is b-u-t-t-e-r and it starts the best run of the album (the entire back half).
    Slackdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2021, 04:25 AM   #1515
    DMB1JW

Shows Seen: 113

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Virginia Naked in the Rain is one of the most brilliant recordings the band has ever made. It could almost fit into BTCS.
    This 1000%.

Come Tomorrow was worth it for me for VITR and Again & Again.
    DMB1JW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 05:10 AM   #1516
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 View Post
    I actually have the opposite feeling, that this next album will be pretty great.
    This is a good thought process

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrAzYEasyDMB04 View Post
    I dont think we will get any information on an album until the songs are road tested.
    You may be surprised
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 05:13 AM   #1517
    Aforauer

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post

You may be surprised

Chad knows something! Chad please enlighten us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aforauer is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 05:17 AM   #1518
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

You may be surprised
    This post plus Jaimie putting up the remaster of Dave Solo makes Monday morning so much better!
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 05:25 AM   #1519
    tubaguy1145

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

You may be surprised

These boards are so much better when Chadizzy is around.
    tubaguy1145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 05:32 AM   #1520
    Tomacco

Shows Seen: 134

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

I’ve learned over the years on this board not to put much stock in cryptic teaser posts.
    Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 05:49 AM   #1521
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
    I’ve learned over the years on this board not to put much stock in cryptic teaser posts.
    One of the reasons I’ve been able to keep a good variety of sources over the years is due to discretion. When I get info, I ask two questions - what/how much of this can I post, and does the source want their name attached.

Sometimes, they allow me to post a good bit of info. Sometimes, it’s little bits like the above. Many times, they tell me verbatim how I can say the information.

I respect and appreciate the sources I’ve gathered, and will always keep their wishes in regards to what I can share, and how I can “say it”.
    Old 04-19-2021, 05:53 AM   #1522
    BigHappy
    creeping up heavy

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    One of the reasons I’ve been able to keep a good variety of sources over the years is due to discretion. When I get info, I ask two questions - what/how much of this can I post, and does the source want their name attached.

Sometimes, they allow me to post a good bit of info. Sometimes, it’s little bits like the above. Many times, they tell me verbatim how I can say the information.

I respect and appreciate the sources I’ve gathered, and will always keep their wishes in regards to what I can share, and how I can “say it”.
    If I'm reading this correctly, there is new news, but you can't share it yet? In my opinion, the mere existence of new news is good news...
    Old 04-19-2021, 06:02 AM   #1523
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

My Tour Central Stats

Rad Chad 2 Badd had the info on Be Yourself being reworked and not sucking. Then we got a 27 second teaser that it didn’t. Long live Chad.

The plot is always moving forward.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    So is a glacier.
    BotheLaneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 06:08 AM   #1524
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BotheLaneFan View Post
    Rad Chad 2 Badd had the info on Be Yourself being reworked and not sucking. Then we got a 27 second teaser that it didn’t. Long live Chad.
    To be fair, a lot of people thought that Be Yourself tease was awesome. So, yes, the reworked version of Be Yourself didn’t suck
    Old 04-19-2021, 06:14 AM   #1525
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

But as I’ve said several times over the years, we’ve lost a lot of good sources here because people get attacked when they share info. It makes people (also) less hesitant to share.

I don’t let the negativity get to me, I still enjoy sharing what I can, and I enjoy this community.
    Old 04-19-2021, 07:06 AM   #1526
    kevinmavs

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

You're a beast Chad, and have been awesome around here for a long time.
    Old 04-19-2021, 07:12 AM   #1527
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    But as I’ve said several times over the years, we’ve lost a lot of good sources here because people get attacked when they share info. It makes people (also) less hesitant to share.

I don’t let the negativity get to me, I still enjoy sharing what I can, and I enjoy this community.

Preach son
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 07:13 AM   #1528
    Tomacco

Shows Seen: 134

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Yeah, fair.
    There's been a lot of fake news though and bullshitters though over the years. I remember last Spring for like 3 months there were a lot of bogus rumors circulating here from some liar who I hope got banned.
    Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 07:15 AM   #1529
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Chad, Bruce, etc: any idea on a timeframe for getting some kind of official info?
    madhatter is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 07:18 AM   #1530
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
    Yeah, fair.

There's been a lot of fake news though and bullshitters though over the years. I remember last Spring for like 3 months there were a lot of bogus rumors circulating here from some liar who I hope got banned.
    Over the years, though, it's also become clear who is actually speaking from a place of knowledge. There's a shortlist of about 4-5 people that I'll really pay attention to when they share info (whether it's vague or specific).
    madhatter is online now   Reply With Quote