New Song Debut at Farm Aid - Page 9 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-20-2017, 07:37 PM   #241
coldengrey12
Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Song Debut at Farm Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
I've read some ridiculous things on this board, but this has to be up their at the top of most ridiculous.
https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/s...&postcount=219

If you want pretty words, go read poetry.
coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-20-2017, 09:59 PM   #242
    paultwood1

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post

If you've ever listened to Gregory Alan Isakov, you'd know poetry and music can go together beautifully.
    paultwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2017, 06:45 AM   #243
    dpduke5173

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Just updated the tab to include the first part of the bridge. Still working on the single notes section of the bridge.

https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/s...3#post16887823
    Old 09-21-2017, 07:22 AM   #244
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    Farmaid is copyright claiming the full show videos so if you want to watch, looks like you will have to manually jump from song to song. Good news is Farmaid uploaded what looks to be every song from D&T's set in 1080p.
    Strikes or just claims?
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #245
    resumesomething

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    that isnt true at all.

Most of DMB's catalog that is considered good has incredible lyrics... its one of the biggest things that drew me into the band.
    I first got into DMB in 1999. It was either before Napster, or I didn’t know about it then, because I got interested in the band by reading the lyrics with no idea what the songs sounded like. I was 15 years old, and I thought that Dave was the most philosophical lyricists to ever exist. When I read the lyrics to Cry Freedom I thought it was a protest song worthy of Dylan. Spoon was waaaay too deep for me to understand. The same with Seek Up.

Now, 18 years later, I still look back at those lyrics and think they’re definitely more nuanced and thoughtful than what he’s currently writing. But that might have more to do with me back then than anything else. I think things seemed much more unexpected in the early stuff, and the lyrics possibly more sparse. Now songs like B&BB and Do You Remember, and Bismarck sound very wordy to my ear and somewhat similar musically.

David Gray is one of my favorites. His last album was produced by Andy Barlow. From what I’ve read, David went into the studio with a number of finished songs ready to record, and Andy took his least completed songs and only parts from his completed songs and worked with him to create whole new songs out of those. It’d be interesting to know how DMB works with producers, but some creative direction like that, to mine the gold out of the current batch of songs could be interesting.
    resumesomething is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #246
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I read your other post. It doesn't help.

It's absurd you're saying people are listening to music "wrong". So you like the instruments. Congrats. Some people like lyrics. There's no "right" or "wrong" way to listen to music.

I personally think that lyrics can enhance songs and really bring the whole thing together. The Stone/Rhyme and Reason/Warehouse are great songs musically, but the lyrics make them all-time favorites for me. The same way a great steak just isn't complete without good side dishes like veggies and mashed potatoes. While the music is the steak, the lyrics can be the side dishes that really bring the whole thing together.

But that's just me.
    Old 09-21-2017, 10:30 AM   #247
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by resumesomething View Post
    I first got into DMB in 1999. It was either before Napster, or I didn’t know about it then, because I got interested in the band by reading the lyrics with no idea what the songs sounded like. I was 15 years old, and I thought that Dave was the most philosophical lyricists to ever exist. When I read the lyrics to Cry Freedom I thought it was a protest song worthy of Dylan. Spoon was waaaay too deep for me to understand. The same with Seek Up.

Now, 18 years later, I still look back at those lyrics and think they’re definitely more nuanced and thoughtful than what he’s currently writing. But that might have more to do with me back then than anything else. I think things seemed much more unexpected in the early stuff, and the lyrics possibly more sparse. Now songs like B&BB and Do You Remember, and Bismarck sound very wordy to my ear and somewhat similar musically.

David Gray is one of my favorites. His last album was produced by Andy Barlow. From what I’ve read, David went into the studio with a number of finished songs ready to record, and Andy took his least completed songs and only parts from his completed songs and worked with him to create whole new songs out of those. It’d be interesting to know how DMB works with producers, but some creative direction like that, to mine the gold out of the current batch of songs could be interesting.

It tooks years for me to fully understand some DMB songs, and I love that about Dave's writing. To me, at his peak he is the best lyricist of all time, even better than Dylan.

And as to the production thing.. I think thats what lillywhite did with AFTW, or tried to do.

I agree with new songs sounding too wordy and delivery is way too similar. Its almost like he is forcing trying to write better lyrics and it comes out with no melody... Either that or he is writing lyrics before music and trying to jam them into songs.

Quote:

It's absurd you're saying people are listening to music "wrong". So you like the instruments. Congrats. Some people like lyrics. There's no "right" or "wrong" way to listen to music.

I personally think that lyrics can enhance songs and really bring the whole thing together. The Stone/Rhyme and Reason/Warehouse are great songs musically, but the lyrics make them all-time favorites for me. The same way a great steak just isn't complete without good side dishes like veggies and mashed potatoes. While the music is the steak, the lyrics can be the side dishes that really bring the whole thing together.

But that's just me.

not to mention.. dave is quite literally a poet. When he adds good lyrics to already good music it takes songs over the top, such as the ones you mentioned.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.

Last edited by TheLastPig; 09-21-2017 at 10:31 AM.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2017, 10:30 AM   #248
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paultwood1 View Post
    If you've ever listened to Gregory Alan Isakov, you'd know poetry and music can go together beautifully.
    Oh, absolutely! There are loads of great lyricists out there.

Isakov, Colin Meloy, Josh Ritter, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez ... lots of great lyricists.

Quote:

But that's just me.
    As long as we agree that music is the steak, i.e., the most important part, how is what we're saying different?
    Old 09-21-2017, 10:33 AM   #249
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Oh, absolutely! There are loads of great lyricists out there.

Isakov, Colin Meloy, Josh Ritter, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez ... lots of great lyricists.

As long as we agree that music is the steak, i.e., the most important part, how is what we're saying different?
    he said "if youre listening to music for lyrics youre doing it wrong"

thats an asinine statement. Lyrics and vocal melody can make or break a song in many instances. Not always, and im never listening for lyrics only, but they play a major part still in some music.

Like can you really sit there and tell me if dave sat there during The Stone and just sang "The stone! the stonnnnne.. THE STONE!" it wouldnt effect your view of the song? gtfo if so.

Quote:
    Old 09-21-2017, 10:36 AM   #250
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Because I absolutely do listen to music for the lyrics. They can make or break a song just like bad side dishes could make or break a meal. It's not a perfect metaphor, but I was just using it to illustrate my point.
    Old 09-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #251
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    he said "if youre listening to music for lyrics youre doing it wrong"

thats an asinine statement. Lyrics and vocal melody can make or break a song in many instances. Not always, and im never listening for lyrics only, but they play a major part still in some music.

Like can you really sit there and tell me if dave sat there during The Stone and just sang "The stone! the stonnnnne.. THE STONE!" it wouldnt effect your view of the song? gtfo if so.
    The second bold sounds like you're describing American Baby Intro. Its lyrics are repetitive and he yells the same shit over and over, but that's the point.

As to the bolded quote at the top, that was me. I said that.

Let me clarify: "There are some incredible exceptions (Dylan, obviously), but if you're listening to music other than hip hop ONLY for the lyrics, I think you're doing it wrong."

Phish, Robert Randolph, Weezer, Metallica — there are lots of bands have mediocre lyrics but are still great/popular.

You can be a shitty lyricist and still be a great musician. If you're a shitty musician but a great lyricist ... congratulations on your English degree?
    Old 09-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #252
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The second bold sounds like you're describing American Baby Intro. Its lyrics are repetitive and he yells the same shit over and over, but that's the point.

As to the bolded quote at the top, that was me. I said that.

Let me clarify: "There are some incredible exceptions (Dylan, obviously), but if you're listening to music other than hip hop ONLY for the lyrics, I think you're doing it wrong."

Phish, Robert Randolph, Weezer, Metallica — there are lots of bands have mediocre lyrics but are still great/popular.

You can be a shitty lyricist and still be a great musician. If you're a shitty musician but a great lyricist ... congratulations on your English degree?

I mean... theres literally noone that listens to music only for lyrics, so youre arguing against a strawman here.

Quote:
    Old 09-21-2017, 10:54 AM   #253
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I mean... theres literally noone that listens to music only for lyrics, so youre arguing against a strawman here.
    Seriously.
    Old 09-21-2017, 10:55 AM   #254
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Seriously.
    OK, that's why I asked if we were saying the same thing.
    Old 09-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #255
    elconguero

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I think the lyrics are deeper than they seem. I think it's about America. Dave wants to be like Marley and say more with less. And Dylan is a great lyricists but it's well known he lifts a lot if his lyrics from books like the Bible, old folk songs, etc. he is like the jimmy page of lyrics. Great, yes, but mostly at putting older things together in his own way
    elconguero is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #256
    camptravisr
    Numbered Beats

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Deaf folks do (I think?!) I remember seeing a lady sign the whole DMB show on the side of the stage at the Chicago Caravan. It was cool to see.

Edit: well, they don't "listen" so never mind...ha.

Last edited by camptravisr; 09-21-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    camptravisr is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2017, 12:34 PM   #257
    elconguero

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

to expand a bit on me thinking its about America... while the lyrics are simple they seem to mean more.

"Do you remember
    When we were small
    Do you remember
    When we believed"

dave talking about when America was just starting out. when we believed in things and were progressive. at least trying to achieve greatness.

"There were bones in the river
    And ghosts in the attic
    Don't go up there alone"

there were already people here in America. We have done bad things to people. don't look at those things too closely, they may scare you.

The enemy's coming
    We should take cover
    'Cause the odds are against us
    The odds are against us

Paranoia in America. Cold war. Get under your desk, etc.
    All great civilizations come to an end. Rome, etc. Odds are against us sustaining greatness. Can we?

"We're sinking in quicksand
    There's no rope to save you
    Well you're on your own"

Possibly alluding to wars in middle east.

"Panning for treasure"

gold rush maybe.

"Making love in the backseat"

reference to good ol days.

then he tries to tell you what to focus on and what IS important. Love, emotions, etc.

"Do you remember
    When we would scream
    The color of sunshine
    The color of laughter
    Is the color of love
    The color of water
    Rising up like an ocean
    And pouring all over us"

but no, America just wants to focus on and watch out for the boogie man. "They took our jobs!" Terrorism. We are doomed! Doomed!

"The enemy's coming
    We should take cover
    The odds are against us"

Back to what you should focus on.

"Do you remember
    When we would scream out loud

Come out and get me
    [?] coming
    Won't you come out and play
    Come out and get me"

but no, we are paranoid.

"[?]
    We should take cover
    Oh, the odds are against us
    The color of water
    And the color of summer
    Is pouring all over us"

Makes more sense to me thinking it is about America especially debuting it at Farm Aid.

or it's just about his kids.
    elconguero is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2017, 01:52 PM   #258
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Call me crazy but I really like the lyrics of this song.

Paints an awesome picture in my head.

Similar to black and blue bird but the delivery of them and they music in general is better which make it a better song at least IMO.
    Old 09-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #259
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Interesting, not sure if this has already been posted

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bqpz9icA9Lk
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2017, 03:55 PM   #260
    jenhen27
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Interesting, not sure if this has already been posted

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bqpz9icA9Lk
    I saw that when Copperpot posted this a few days ago. I don't think the two songs have anything in common other than "Do you remember." It's a common phrase. I'd be surprised if Dave even remembers fooling around and singing that.

jenhen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #261
    dthree

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenhen27 View Post
    I saw that when Copperpot posted this a few days ago. I don't think the two songs have anything in common other than "Do you remember." It's a common phrase. I'd be surprised if Dave even remembers fooling around and singing that.
    A common phrase that is sung at a show in 2012 then it is used as actual lyrics for a new song. I wouldn't be so quick to say that they are unrelated. It's the exact lyrics used. Dave must have liked the phrase and it popped back up in this new tune.
    dthree is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2017, 03:48 AM   #262
    #41Tom

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elconguero View Post
    to expand a bit on me thinking its about America... while the lyrics are simple they seem to mean more.

"Do you remember
    When we were small
    Do you remember
    When we believed"

dave talking about when America was just starting out. when we believed in things and were progressive. at least trying to achieve greatness.

And ghosts in the attic
    Don't go up there alone"

there were already people here in America. We have done bad things to people. don't look at those things too closely, they may scare you.

The enemy's coming
    We should take cover
    The odds are against us

All great civilizations come to an end. Rome, etc. Odds are against us sustaining greatness. Can we?

Well you're on your own"

"Panning for treasure"

gold rush maybe.

then he tries to tell you what to focus on and what IS important. Love, emotions, etc.

"Do you remember
    When we would scream
    The color of sunshine
    The color of laughter
    Is the color of love
    The color of water
    Rising up like an ocean
    And pouring all over us"

but no, America just wants to focus on and watch out for the boogie man. "They took our jobs!" Terrorism. We are doomed! Doomed!

"The enemy's coming
    We should take cover
    The odds are against us"

"Do you remember

Come out and get me
    [?] coming
    Come out and get me"

but no, we are paranoid.

"[?]
    We should take cover
    The color of water
    And the color of summer
    Is pouring all over us"

Makes more sense to me thinking it is about America especially debuting it at Farm Aid.

Thanks for that - really interesting interpretation
    And the end of the world."
    #41Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2017, 06:41 AM   #263
    vaxarado

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Completely random but just noticed the Farm Aid YouTube account posted it as "Odds Are Against Us." Would've thought they'd be on the same page w/Dave's (or whoever from the band's) naming of it.
    Old 09-22-2017, 06:46 AM   #264
    Gravedigger789

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gravedigger789 View Post
    Tittles gotta be "Odds Are Against Us". Really dug it on first listen. Thrilled he was confident enough to debut a new one! Can't WAIT to hear that full band.

And might I add they sound PHENOMENAL tonight. After the IEM rip out during DDTW, they've just been On. Point.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vaxarado View Post
    Completely random but just noticed the Farm Aid YouTube account posted it as "Odds Are Against Us." Would've thought they'd be on the same page w/Dave's (or whoever from the band's) naming of it.
    ...so you're saying there's a chance!!!!

Maybe we get the #27 scenario where even when Dave introduced it as "Hope You'll Be By Me Then" after it had been known as #27 for a while and it was just ignored by the fanbase until #27 stuck.
    I will when I can
    Gravedigger789 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2017, 07:01 AM   #265
    CrazyEasy354

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I'm really enjoying this little number. The verse melody was infectious from the moment I heard it. It has such a lively feel to it, and I can only imagine how this will sound with band. The more I listen to it, the more I grow excited for that. This will be on the upcoming release, guaranteed.
    CrazyEasy354 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2017, 07:23 AM   #266
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Could we suppose the band debuts Do You Remember? I think there's a small enough chance we could entertain that thought.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #267
    Right Side Up

Shows Seen: 156

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elconguero View Post

"Do you remember
    When we were small
    Do you remember
    When we believed"

And ghosts in the attic
    Don't go up there alone"

The enemy's coming
    We should take cover
    The odds are against us

Well you're on your own"

"Panning for treasure"

gold rush maybe.

"Do you remember
    When we would scream
    The color of sunshine
    The color of laughter
    Is the color of love
    The color of water
    Rising up like an ocean
    And pouring all over us"

"The enemy's coming
    We should take cover
    The odds are against us"

"Do you remember

Come out and get me
    [?] coming
    Come out and get me"

but no, we are paranoid.

"[?]
    We should take cover
    The color of water
    And the color of summer
    Is pouring all over us"

This is a REALLY good interpretation! I would love if that were true, but unfortunately my gut tells me it's way off...Dave is much more likely writing another tune where he thinks back to what it's like to be a child.

I'm not sure he has that capacity for nuance any longer, or at least it shows up very sparingly.

That said, I do like the new song! There's nothing cringe worthy, and it's got a fun riff and melody. My pet peeve is his penchant for naming songs after their first line...
    Right Side Up is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2017, 01:32 PM   #268
    richvisser23

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
    This is a REALLY good interpretation! I would love if that were true
    I think the last thing Dave wants is his lyrics to be interpreted politically.
    "The following text deals with a controversial subject. The theories expressed are not the only possible interpretation. Viewers are invited to make a judgement based on all available information."
    richvisser23 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2017, 01:57 PM   #269
    #41Tom

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by richvisser23 View Post
    I think the last thing Dave wants is his lyrics to be interpreted politically.
    Cant tell if serious. He's said before he wants his lyrics to be interpreted however the interpreter wants, and he has barely ever talked about the meaning behind his lyrics (and shuns the conversation) because of that. He has been very political in the past, why wouldn't he want them to be interpreted that way?
    And the end of the world."
    #41Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2017, 06:23 PM   #270
    Stang117
    cigarette lit

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vaxarado View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gravedigger789 View Post
    ...so you're saying there's a chance!!!!

Maybe we get the #27 scenario where even when Dave introduced it as "Hope You'll Be By Me Then" after it had been known as #27 for a while and it was just ignored by the fanbase until #27 stuck.
    I saw that Tim's official facebook posted that title as well.
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    Pubes coming out the screen like Sharktopus tentacles
    Stang117 is offline   Reply With Quote