DMB inherited Grateful Dead's old sounsystem? - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-13-2018, 03:18 PM   #61
BringBackButchT

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB inherited Grateful Dead's old sounsystem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
New article on their equipment and mixing: http://www.etnow.com/news/2018/9/dmb...und-leo-family
Thanks, I love these kinds of articles.

Thought this was pretty interesting. I wonder if any other bands do it this way? I've definitely never heard of it, but it kind of makes sense. One guy does the levels in the back and the other does the EQ in the venue.

Quote:
Although his job is FOH engineer, in recent years Jeff Thomas has taken to mixing the DMB’s music on an Avid Profile console at a backstage location with as much acoustic isolation as possible.

“This all started with some of Dave’s acoustic shows, when sometimes the way the audience behaved was at odds with what we were trying to do,” Thomas explains. “Also, venue acoustics are often an issue, and the specific locations where you have to work can be problematic with a lot of variability. I find that if I’m in a remote location I can mix the music to the best of my ability. I can produce a consistently stronger mix for the systems engineer to put out into the room.”

According to Thomas, although he and Lyon are in separate locations, the isolation has actually improved their teamwork. “What I am doing is mixing the music while Tom takes care of adjusting the system to the acoustics of the room. Those are two separate tasks. What I feel is the downfall of the traditional approach is that, if the person mixing the music is constantly subjected to the environment, he is constantly adjusting individual components of the mix to accommodate that environment. If there’s a frequency or tonality that’s a problem in the room, I don’t want to adjust it in my mix. I don’t want to be playing around with the low end on my kick drum while Tom is EQing the subs, or working on the drum overheads while he’s adjusting the high end of the PA. If we do that, we end up chasing each other in circles.”
BringBackButchT is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-13-2018, 05:45 PM   #62
    two-by-twostep

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

woah.....total Baader-Meinhof phenomenon happening here – this video essay about the Wall of Sound was just posted today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r86Sb4heCWM
    two-by-twostep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-19-2018, 08:29 AM   #63
    DrewWileyWSP
    unrelated to drew wiley

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

how on earth is anyone equating "DMB inherited some sound equipment from the dead in 96" to "DMB inherited the Wall of Sound". I can assure you that is not the case.
    DrewWileyWSP is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-19-2018, 08:38 AM   #64
    kelchlsm

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks for the reassurance on one person asking if it was 9 years ago
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote