2018 Price Increases - Page 6 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-16-2018, 08:29 PM   #151
RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: 2018 Price Increases

wait is Justin Timberlake good? I had no idea. Some of the women on my fb feed are posting about him every so often when he does a show in their locale.

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-16-2018, 09:00 PM   #152
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmish84 View Post
    Someone asked a few pages ago what people think tickets should cost - I didn't see too many responses. It was a great question though, and I'm definitely curious what people think is a "fair price."

Like many things in life, if people had a better understanding of supply and demand, they would understand why things are the way they are.

Typically the best seats in the house get scalped on the secondary market (stubhub, vividseats, ticketmaster resale, etc) for 2-5 times what the ticket cost on the primary market (ticketmaster, warehouse, etc). This proves that those tickets are "under-priced" which is why there is a movement in the concert industry for the artists to charge a higher price for their best seats so they can get those profits, not the scalpers. Taylor Swift, Jay-Z, and the musical Hamilton are great recent examples of this. There have been TONS of articles written about this - check them out - google "slow ticketing"

DMB charging $115 per ticket isn't the same as the acts I mentioned above - you'll still see secondary market prices well above $115. However, you'll likely see that DMB will quickly sell ALL of their $115 tickets to just about every show (if not every show) which in my opinion not only justifies the price, but indicates that $115 is actually below what the ticket is "worth."

The only "top-tier" touring artist that I'm aware of that artificially keeps his prices super low is Garth Brooks. However, Garth will play 4-5+ shows in every single market (the bigger the market, the more shows) so he's injecting tons of supply into the market compared to other top-tier acts who play one or two shows. And by top-tier I mean acts who will be in the top 20 or so for total tour attendance.

The entitlement I see on here is almost comical. Everyone thinks they should get tickets to every show they want (great seats at that) and they don't want to pay market-value for them. What other product on this planet does that happen?
    This is a very good post and spot-on.
    Old 01-16-2018, 10:03 PM   #153
    jrarcher2002

Shows Seen: 121

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

I personally think the increase is frustrating and It will reflect on poor sales at many places.

Besides spac and maybe deer creek you will be able to get tickets with zero issues this tour (prolly for less than face at many places) , most venues sold poorly 2 summers ago when tickets were much cheaper and I feel like now less new fans are being developed because lack of quality on albums and an increase in cost, and monotony of the shows ( for a person to go check out DMB just to see how it is or experience it, you will spend Minimum of 100, up to 400 for a couple ) that’s alot of coin, also you may not enjoy it enough to repeat your experience but you would for half the price, I get the argument that other bands charge more ( this is true) but most of those bands are seen 1 time per tour per person that likes them or once every couple years, many DMB fans go to 2-5 + on a given tour. Feel free to bash me or judge me for my comment just my 2 cents.

I was really hoping this year they would cut down to 20-25 shows and bring the heat every night.
    jrarcher2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2018, 10:07 PM   #154
    berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Almost $150 after fees for 1 reserved ticket for a band I've seen live for 20 years straight? Insanity. I cant justify it, people. To the lawn I go..
    See ya there! Its gonna be a lawn party this summer!!
    berman1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2018, 10:26 PM   #155
    Floyd47

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    They haven't been selling uppers well for years; this will push more people into those seats. They'll have no problem selling all the lowers/pit at this price point.

Fucking sucks, but it is what it is, I guess.
    Yep. There needed to be a bigger price gap between uppers and lowers. And they were only going to increase the price of lowers. Not reduce the price of uppers

Quote:
    I saw Gaga last month. $88 for floor tickets. I saw Lumineers in 2016 and the tickets were $50 for pit. Where did you see Lumineers for more than DMB?

I saw around 40 shows last year, including 6 in the pit at the venue DMB is playing. None were as expensive as DMB this year.
    A 2018 Foo Fighters lower/pit ticket was less expensive than a 2018 DMB pit ticket.
    Old 01-16-2018, 10:29 PM   #156
    mmish84

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrarcher2002 View Post
    I personally think the increase is frustrating and It will reflect on poor sales at many places.

Besides spac and maybe deer creek you will be able to get tickets with zero issues this tour (prolly for less than face at many places) , most venues sold poorly 2 summers ago when tickets were much cheaper and I feel like now less new fans are being developed because lack of quality on albums and an increase in cost, and monotony of the shows ( for a person to go check out DMB just to see how it is or experience it, you will spend Minimum of 100, up to 400 for a couple ) that’s alot of coin, also you may not enjoy it enough to repeat your experience but you would for half the price, I get the argument that other bands charge more ( this is true) but most of those bands are seen 1 time per tour per person that likes them or once every couple years, many DMB fans go to 2-5 + on a given tour. Feel free to bash me or judge me for my comment just my 2 cents.

I was really hoping this year they would cut down to 20-25 shows and bring the heat every night.

What do you mean when you say "sold poorly?"

I don't have any numbers to back this up, but I'm pretty sure their PIT/Lowers sold extremely well at most/all dates in 2016. Maybe you're referring to overall attendance vs. capacity, in which case I think you're right on (not a lot of sellouts in 2016). It's seems like most people on here are though are complaining about the top $115 top price for the best seats. I haven't seen too many complaints about the lawn prices.

From a purely business/financial standpoint, I think the band should raise prices on the seats they easily sellout of (PIT/Lowers) and lower their prices on the seats that go unsold (lawns and uppers at most mid and small market venues). At the right price points, they can accomplish a sellout at most/all venues, which not only maximizes their revenue, but it also maximizes the number of people who see them perform live.

By lowering the price for lawns and uppers, the assumption is you will get more fans that either have tighter budgets and cannot afford the $50/$85 plus fees OR casual fans who aren't going to spend a lot of money on a band they only know a handful of songs. Of course the latter group is prime to become future diehards once they get a taste - they might be 2019's premium purchasers. But if the get-in price is prohibitively high, they won't ever have the opportunity to get hooked.

There is no reason the band can't sell out almost every show. Their pricing strategy prohibits this though, specifically when it comes to the less desirable seats.
    mmish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2018, 10:44 PM   #157
    mmish84

Shows Seen: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Floyd47 View Post

A 2018 Foo Fighters lower/pit ticket was less expensive than a 2018 DMB pit ticket.
    Check out the secondary market prices though:

https://www.stubhub.com/find/s/?q=Foo%20Fighters

Understand that a sizable percentage of concert tickets for high demand shows never even make it onto sites like ticketmaster (instead they get held back for promoters, VIP's, band, corporate sponsors, venue holds, or even dumped directly onto the secondary market!) and then a huge percentage of the tickets that do make it onto ticketmaster are quickly gobbled up by scalpers and bots. So this means that a tiny portion of the true fans actually are able to purchase those "cheap" FF tickets that you're referring to. Many/most are forced to pay the prices you'll see in the link pasted above. It's either that or they can't go.

DMB is fortunate in that their fan club gets a much larger ticket allotment than most other comparable band's fan clubs. This means that even at $115, more DMB fans have access to initial primary market prices compared to fans for most other top-tier touring bands/artists.

Last edited by mmish84; 01-16-2018 at 10:48 PM.
    mmish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2018, 11:08 PM   #158
    Floyd47

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmish84 View Post
    Check out the secondary market prices though:

https://www.stubhub.com/find/s/?q=Foo%20Fighters

Understand that a sizable percentage of concert tickets for high demand shows never even make it onto sites like ticketmaster (instead they get held back for promoters, VIP's, band, corporate sponsors, venue holds, or even dumped directly onto the secondary market!) and then a huge percentage of the tickets that do make it onto ticketmaster are quickly gobbled up by scalpers and bots. So this means that a tiny portion of the true fans actually are able to purchase those "cheap" FF tickets that you're referring to. Many/most are forced to pay the prices you'll see in the link pasted above. It's either that or they can't go.

DMB is fortunate in that their fan club gets a much larger ticket allotment than most other comparable band's fan clubs. This means that even at $115, more DMB fans have access to initial primary market prices compared to fans for most other top-tier touring bands/artists.
    I'm aware of the FF secondary market prices, it's crazy. Thankfully I got a great FF ticket for face. I also get how ticketing works and where all the tickets go. It doesn't work in favor of the fans.

I actually thought your post on the page before this was well said. I realize DMB ticket prices are below that of other major acts. I've paid more to see other bands for worse seats. The price increase is reasonable relative to the rest of the industry.

My comment about the FF was more about the fact that out of the FF and DMB, I honestly would have thought the FF could, and would charge higher prices. The prices of both are fine.

Last edited by Floyd47; 01-16-2018 at 11:11 PM.
    Floyd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2018, 03:54 AM   #159
    misschung

Shows Seen: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    JT is worth that price. 2018 DMB, without any inkling that this tour will be any different from the last few years (actually may be worse if this album blows), is not worth a ticket increase, especially with no opening act and their ability to just stroll on stage whenever they feel like it. may head to spac only because spac, or may head out to hollywood bowl just to experience the venue. hopefully the album is good and proves me wrong. i miss a good dm band
    I completely agree with this. Putting aside all the issues that I have with tickets these days (for anything, not just DMB), I'm not sure I will go insane trying to get SPAC tickets this year unless I hear some new material first.
    Old 01-17-2018, 04:44 AM   #160
    BrettG19DMBFan

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I feel they've finally priced me out.

I have not seen the band since 2014. They are finally coming back to my craphole home venue Darien, and I just don't think I can justify the price for under the tent. The lawn at Darien is a shit show and I refuse to sit/stand there.

My wife, and my friends, no longer enjoy the band, so I'd be going solo, and quite honestly, looking at the sets the last few years (new album songs that will come aside), I just don't have the drive to do this anymore. Getting to Darien is like 40minutes, and Id have to leave before the encore to even have a chance to get out of there and be home in a timely fashion. At 34 years old, it's over.

Couch tour for me most likely. Sad, but knew this day would come.

Last edited by BrettG19DMBFan; 01-17-2018 at 04:47 AM.
    BrettG19DMBFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2018, 04:54 AM   #161
    Hilly

Shows Seen: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Floyd47 View Post
    Yep. There needed to be a bigger price gap between uppers and lowers. And they were only going to increase the price of lowers. Not reduce the price of uppers

Foos were over $100 for their last tour.
    Old 01-17-2018, 04:55 AM   #162
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Keep in mind, the price is for a ticket AND album.
    Old 01-17-2018, 05:31 AM   #163
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    an album that many members will preorder through the WH because of a stupid bonus disc or a stupid box set. so, a redundancy and unnecessary
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2018, 05:32 AM   #164
    RiotAct

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrettG19DMBFan View Post
    I feel they've finally priced me out.

I have not seen the band since 2014. They are finally coming back to my craphole home venue Darien, and I just don't think I can justify the price for under the tent. The lawn at Darien is a shit show and I refuse to sit/stand there.

My wife, and my friends, no longer enjoy the band, so I'd be going solo, and quite honestly, looking at the sets the last few years (new album songs that will come aside), I just don't have the drive to do this anymore. Getting to Darien is like 40minutes, and Id have to leave before the encore to even have a chance to get out of there and be home in a timely fashion. At 34 years old, it's over.
    so..... does this mean we can count you in for Darien?

Old 01-17-2018, 05:37 AM   #165
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Someone buying multiple tickets doesn't need multiple copies of the album. If a person is going to 10 shows this summer, do they need 10 copies of the album? That's an extra $90 for 9 albums they don't need.
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2018, 05:39 AM   #166
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by btpeters View Post
    Someone buying multiple tickets doesn't need multiple copies of the album. If a person is going to 10 shows this summer, do they need 10 copies of the album? That's an extra $90 for 9 albums they don't need.
    Someone mentioned it earlier bit something like a choice between the album or a beer ticket seems like a great idea. It won't happen though.
    Old 01-17-2018, 05:45 AM   #167
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Face for a pit was $99 for the show this April, at the same venue DMB is playing. So like he said, cheaper than DMB.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 01-17-2018 at 05:51 AM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2018, 05:58 AM   #168
    Floyd47

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Face for a pit was $99 for the show this April, at the same venue DMB is playing. So like he said, cheaper than DMB.
    Yep. Foos pit was $99. DMB pit for this year is $115.
    Old 01-17-2018, 06:00 AM   #169
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by btpeters View Post
    i bought 4 metallica tickets this year and still haven't even downloaded the albums yet

because i pre-ordered the extended version of the album for the bonus content. in metallica's case, the pre-orders were announced well before any tour information was. knowing i'll be getting an album with a concert ticket, if i choose to buy one, won't deter me from wanting to get bonus content via WH or other outlets

the only music that should be given with a concert ticket should be a copy of the show's soundboard, IMO. that's worth a ticket increase if that were to happen
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.

Last edited by cry_minarets458; 01-17-2018 at 06:01 AM.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2018, 06:00 AM   #170
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

hope a ton of people pout and refuse to pay for top tier
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2018, 06:02 AM   #171
    jmc419

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    hope a ton of people pout and refuse to pay for top tier
    I'm hoping for the same!
    jmc419 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2018, 06:07 AM   #172
    chrisjuniper

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    i bought 4 metallica tickets this year and still haven't even downloaded the albums yet

because i pre-ordered the extended version of the album for the bonus content. in metallica's case, the pre-orders were announced well before any tour information was. knowing i'll be getting an album with a concert ticket, if i choose to buy one, won't deter me from wanting to get bonus content via WH or other outlets

the only music that should be given with a concert ticket should be a copy of the show's soundboard, IMO. that's worth a ticket increase if that were to happen
    Nailed it. Don't need 10 download codes for the same shitty mp3's of a studio album.
    chrisjuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2018, 06:09 AM   #173
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

gonna issue a hot take warning that may trigger some haters to unleash on me:

I think complaining about a free album is a pretty classic example of ants just finding something to complain about for complaining's sake
    Old 01-17-2018, 06:11 AM   #174
    RiotAct

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    gonna issue a hot take warning that may trigger some haters to unleash on me:

I think complaining about a free album is a pretty classic example of ants just finding something to complain about for complaining's sake
    well, it's not exactly "free". It's baked into the (substantially increased) ticket price.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:12 AM   #175
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

that's a connection that you are making of your own accord. no one has told you to make that connection
    Old 01-17-2018, 06:12 AM   #176
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

And since only the lowers/pit got the price increase, we're basically buying the rest of the venue a copy of the album. Thanks, Obama.
    Old 01-17-2018, 06:12 AM   #177
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

other than hilly, and if at this point you think hilly speaks for the band......(insert lol guys)
    Old 01-17-2018, 06:14 AM   #178
    #41Tom

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Then Warehouse purchasing is not for you.

And you're not "forced"

You're making an election to buy seats blindly.
    Hilly not once have you acknowledged the issues that people have been talking about. It must be tough representing the Warehouse on here because people have paid into it for 15 years as the service has apparently floundered. But please, either stop spouting irrelevant and largely pointless sh*te or actually engage in useful discussion that answers people's questions or concerns. Your otherwise illogical defence of the indefensible is one of, if not the most frustrating things to read on here.
    And the end of the world."
    #41Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2018, 06:14 AM   #179
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

counterpoint: hilly does not represent the warehouse, and the actual most frustrating thing on here is people engaging him as if he does (because that's clearly what he wants and gets his jollies from)
    Old 01-17-2018, 06:15 AM   #180
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisjuniper View Post
    Nailed it. Don't need 10 download codes for the same shitty mp3's of a studio album.
    Make sure to share them with the people you see the shows with!