** Official Obama Thread ** - Page 997 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-21-2012, 06:16 AM   #29881
Minarets2222

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ** Official Strongly Condemning Prez BHO, Nobel Peace Prize Winner (2009), Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
I totally agree with you that Obama's foreign policy has been one of the biggest disappointments - I personally didn't think he was going to follow Dubya's foreign policy.
Obama is disappointing from a liberal perspective, but SOME of that is related to having a Republican congress. But god knows that the most disappointing Obama is still going to be a lot more liberal than any Republican candidate.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-21-2012, 06:24 AM   #29882
    Jake

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ** Official Strongly Condemning Prez BHO, Nobel Peace Prize Winner (2009), Thread

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Minarets2222 View Post
    Obama is disappointing from a liberal perspective, but SOME of that is related to having a Republican congress. But god knows that the most disappointing Obama is still going to be a lot more liberal than any Republican candidate.
    A. I need to remember to find your other user name

B. Please don't play the 'Republican congress' garbage. Obama had a majority for 2 years and got everything he wanted. It is not factual, and plain ole silly
    Old 09-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #29883
    Minarets2222

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    A. I need to remember to find your other user name

B. Please don't play the 'Republican congress' garbage. Obama had a majority for 2 years and got everything he wanted. It is not factual, and plain ole silly
    A. Why would I have another user name?

B. For those two years he still had to deal with a filibuster, and as you said, even when he had a majority that was 2 years. Not four years. Some of it was his fault, some of it was not. "It's not so black and white" as some guy you supposedly like sings.
    Old 09-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #29884
    Kevaroo
    I'm the .1%

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Loving the New American Flag! http://www.google.com/imgres?q=the+o...42&tx=49&ty=53

Pat?
    http://weaselzippers.us/2012/09/19/o...ic-of-himself/

Last edited by Kevaroo; 09-21-2012 at 08:05 AM.
    Old 09-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #29885
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

i have no problems with the "new flag".

that pic is mad creepy though. jesus.

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    Old 09-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #29886
    zajDmB1

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Yes, Obama wants to replace the official flag of the USA with the Obama flag, he's not just selling some shit to raise a few bucks. Mystery solved.
    Old 09-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #29887
    Jake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevaroo View Post
    Hey Betsy Ross, you didn't make that flag!

See, its funny also because Ross really didnt design the 1st flag
    Old 09-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #29888
    Minarets2222

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    A. Why would I have another user name?

B. For those two years he still had to deal with a filibuster, and as you said, even when he had a majority that was 2 years. Not four years. Some of it was his fault, some of it was not. "It's not so black and white" as some guy you supposedly like sings.
    Still waiting for an answer to A? Is your logic that all liberals have another user name?
    Old 09-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #29889
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This argument holds zero water. As has been stated several times in these forums, even with a simple Democratic majority in the Senate, Republicans had the filibuster threat at their disposal, which required a super-majority to break.

...a Senate rule requires a supermajority of three fifths to move to a vote through a cloture motion, which closes debate on a bill or nomination, thus ending a filibuster by a minority of members. In current practice, the mere threat of a filibuster prevents passing almost any measure that has less than three-fifths agreement in the Senate, 60 of the 100 senators if every seat is filled and voting.
    Old 09-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #29890
    ShotgunDMB

My Tour Central Stats

I still haven't heard what super awesome free market economic policy would have been passed in the past four years if not for those dastardly Republicans.

This is the problem with progressive thinking. They honestly believe the more the government does the better off society will be, when all of the evidence is in the other direction.

The less Congress is doing, the better. Really the only legitimate criticism of the GOP House is that they haven't much of anything to cut spending or free up the economic system for growth.
    Old 09-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #29891
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShotgunDMB View Post
    I still haven't heard what super awesome free market economic policy would have been passed in the past four years if not for those dastardly Republicans.

This is the problem with progressive thinking. They honestly believe the more the government does the better off society will be, when all of the evidence is in the other direction.

The less Congress is doing, the better. Really the only legitimate criticism of the GOP House is that they haven't much of anything to cut spending or free up the economic system for growth.
    Or that when a Republican is President spending increases...
    Old 09-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #29892
    iMAC386
    BOOMER!

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

I think the republicans in congress allowing the American Jobs Act would have been a huge boon to the unemployment numbers and economy. For those looking for a plan from Obama/dems, that's just one example.

And even in those 2 years with house/senate control, dems didn't have a filibuster proof majority and the repubs were being intransigent. So the dems majority was crippled by a repub side that was unwilling to compromise the majority of time. Blaming things on the republicans in congress is not a garbage argument at all...it's the truth. It's a testament how the filibuster is not fit for today's governing, and how the system of legislating needs to me updated to account for this polarized congress.
    Old 09-22-2012, 05:12 AM   #29893
    ThatLetter

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMAC386 View Post
    I think the republicans in congress allowing the American Jobs Act would have been a huge boon to the unemployment numbers and economy. For those looking for a plan from Obama/dems, that's just one example.

And even in those 2 years with house/senate control, dems didn't have a filibuster proof majority and the repubs were being intransigent. So the dems majority was crippled by a repub side that was unwilling to compromise the majority of time. Blaming things on the republicans in congress is not a garbage argument at all...it's the truth. It's a testament how the filibuster is not fit for today's governing, and how the system of legislating needs to me updated to account for this polarized congress.
    The Daily Show did a story the other night about a jobs bill for returning veterans that got 58 yeas and 40 nays and therefore was defeated because it didn't reach the magic 60. The argument against it was that the Repubs didn't like how the bill paid for itself. The lols came when the Daily Show pointed out that congress approved the wars that made these men veterans without paying for the wars.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    Jesus Christ justink just shut the fuck up for once. Why does everything with you turn into an argument?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blaise34 View Post
    CNN headline - Court gives baker narrow win in gay wedding cake case
    7-2 is narrow now
    Old 09-22-2012, 05:25 AM   #29894
    Minarets2222

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well... right. We don't believe in completely free markets.

Quote:
    Sure it is.

Quote:
    What exactly have they done?
    Old 09-22-2012, 05:33 AM   #29895
    AJF_41

My Tour Central Stats

newly elected house hasn't done anything, except block progress and compromise.
    they are hurting. not helping.

waits for shotty to say that them blocking everything and hindering progress is helping.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:34 AM   #29896
    Minarets2222

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post

waits for shotty to say that them blocking everything and hindering progress is helping.
    Well I can relate to where Shotty is coming from. Even if Obama did nothing, I would still be happy that he was blocking conservative legislation insofar as he was, and not promoting their agenda.
    Old 09-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #29897
    AJF_41

My Tour Central Stats

i understand his viewpoint. i can't relate to him.

p.s. - panthers looked good on thursday night

p.s.s. - just kidding shotty!

Old 09-22-2012, 06:59 AM   #29898
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well I can relate to where Shotty is coming from. Even if Obama did nothing, I would still be happy that he was blocking conservative legislation insofar as he was, and not promoting their agenda.
    Yep. I feel the same way as Shotty. The last thing we need is a population dependent on the government, which really means taking from those with more until everyone is miserable. Why people like that line of thinking? Still haven't figured it out.

Morning, Adam. Who does Minni got today?

Last edited by rconverse; 09-22-2012 at 07:00 AM.
    Old 09-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #29899
    barefoot
    More coffee....

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Do you give Bush a pass on the years he had a Dem controlled congress?
    Old 09-22-2012, 07:23 AM   #29900
    Jake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    This argument holds zero water. As has been stated several times in these forums, even with a simple Democratic majority in the Senate, Republicans had the filibuster threat at their disposal, which required a super-majority to break.

...a Senate rule requires a supermajority of three fifths to move to a vote through a cloture motion, which closes debate on a bill or nomination, thus ending a filibuster by a minority of members. In current practice, the mere threat of a filibuster prevents passing almost any measure that has less than three-fifths agreement in the Senate, 60 of the 100 senators if every seat is filled and voting.

then how do you explain Obama care, which went thru with less than 60 votes?

Oh yea, they can force thru anything they want... forgot about that.

nice try
    Old 09-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #29901
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Democrats forget that democrats had to be paid off And arms twisted by Rahm to vote for Obamacare.
    Old 09-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #29902
    dmbdreamingtree
    be the light

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    Yep. I feel the same way as Shotty. The last thing we need is a population dependent on the government, which really means taking from those with more until everyone is miserable. Why people like that line of thinking? Still haven't figured it out.

You voice your displeasure, similar to every by-the-book conservative brown noser, by referencing the worst case scenario for which you are against.

Do you live your life with such polarity and inability to cognate a scenario that isn't force-fed to you by your favorite radio-talk show host?

In reference to the above that you stated - is there never a case where hard working citizens have simply hit a hard road and can't seem to find a door to put their foot in?

Do you always think everything is as black and white as - you are either mooching - or you aren't?
    You're living in an imaginary mental prison of your own creation.
    Old 09-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #29903
    Minarets2222

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Actually I don't *want* people dependent on government either, but it's a necessary role of government until the capitalist structure can support everyone, if that ever were to happen. It probably won't.
    Old 09-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #29904
    Minarets2222

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
    Do you give Bush a pass on the years he had a Dem controlled congress?
    I would say that to the extent he couldn't push through his evil conservative republican agenda, that would be why. I'm not sure what giving him a pass would mean? ;)
    Old 09-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #29905
    Minarets2222

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

nice try
    If your theory were true Obamacare would have been much stronger.
    Old 09-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #29906
    Minarets2222

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Democrats forget that democrats had to be paid off And arms twisted by Rahm to vote for Obamacare.
    Some did. Doesn't at all imply the legislation was bad. Same thing was true about the Civil Rights Act under Johnson.
    Old 09-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #29907
    ShotgunDMB

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post

Well yeah. The less Congress does, the better.

I think we have fundamentally different ideas as what constitutes "progress".

Hey, at least my team isn't the Vikings.
    Old 09-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #29908
    ThatLetter

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

nice try
    They did it through reconciliation. Try google.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    Jesus Christ justink just shut the fuck up for once. Why does everything with you turn into an argument?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blaise34 View Post
    CNN headline - Court gives baker narrow win in gay wedding cake case
    7-2 is narrow now
    Old 09-23-2012, 07:21 AM   #29909
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Serious question for lefties or left leaning folks:

When taxes increase for the wealthy and they are paying their fair share and not one thing in this country changes, what will be your running platform? What will your next "solution" be? Unemployment has become a lost cause with the left. The stimulus was a complete failure and the only idea on the table is higher taxes. I just don't see how anyone can envision real solutions to these problems with this admin.
    Old 09-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #29910
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbdreamingtree View Post
    You voice your displeasure, similar to every by-the-book conservative brown noser, by referencing the worst case scenario for which you are against.

Do you live your life with such polarity and inability to cognate a scenario that isn't force-fed to you by your favorite radio-talk show host?

In reference to the above that you stated - is there never a case where hard working citizens have simply hit a hard road and can't seem to find a door to put their foot in?

Do you always think everything is as black and white as - you are either mooching - or you aren't?
    There are already plenty of gov assistance that people take advantage of, we don't need more.

Never did I say we don't need any government, just less. Never did I say people may not need help sometimes, like unemployment.

Either reply to my posts like an adult, which means replying to what I actually write, or don't bother replying. I have more mentally stimulating things to do than reply to your posts, like rearranging my white sock drawer.

Tags
    peeping rahm