GSUdawg521
hbtd

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMoore4075 View Post
About the text notifications I think that's right.

I'm with you on the iMessage thing. I don't get it. Yeah you can use it on WiFi with no cell signal but at least for me it's so infrequent for that to happen these days it doesn't bother me at all. I mean 7 months ago I started using my Nexus 6 again sometimes instead of my iPhone 6S because I wanted to give Android Auto a shot in my car so had to turn off iMessage so I could get texts when my sim was in my Android phone and I never thought "man I miss iMessage." It was just a different text bubble.
I used to use Hangouts exclusively for messaging as you could integrate with SMS, so sounds like that was pretty similar. But then they dropped SMS which is annoying because I still want to use it with my wife and a few select friends.
GSUdawg521 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-10-2017, 07:12 AM   #482
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

My Tour Central Stats

Just wanted to come back and say, because I just did this again, one thing I love about Swype is I can type my full email address, like work email address, firstname.lastname@domain.com, and enter it into the dictionary. Then I can bullshit-swype the whole damn thing at once and it'll recognize it

Although when it comes to email address I usually type in the first few letters until it suggests it.
    Old 11-10-2017, 01:13 PM   #483
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks for the tip on Trusted Contacts. Guess I shouldn't say the keyboard is horrible, but I have trouble using it. And yes the iMessage thing is weird, i admit it. I think it's the notification bubble, you can see when someone is texting you and it's that "hey I'm gonna get a text!" feeling. Again, I'm weird, I know, I admit it

I like my xl though. I think I'll stick with it.
    Old 11-10-2017, 01:15 PM   #484
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveHead36 View Post
    Thanks for the tip on Trusted Contacts. Guess I shouldn't say the keyboard is horrible, but I have trouble using it. And yes the iMessage thing is weird, i admit it. I think it's the notification bubble, you can see when someone is texting you and it's that "hey I'm gonna get a text!" feeling. Again, I'm weird, I know, I admit it

I like my xl though. I think I'll stick with it.
    Hangsouts would give you that back
    Old 11-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #485
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

My Tour Central Stats

How are y'all liking the fingerprint unlock? I see people debating it in the iPhone thread. Having it on the back is nothing like the front.

My wife has the S8 and it has a fingerprint sensor on the back but she uses its facial recognition and seems to love it. She also has small hands and would have a hard time using the finger sensor. But I still feel like even if the recognition part of it is immediate, it is a tiny bit slower than fingerprint on the back of the phone, which is what Matthew is arguing in the iPhone thread.

Hers you have to touch the phone in some way to wake it up then look at it. With fingerprint, you touching the phone is what immediately unlocks it. I love it. (Original pixel still)
    Old 11-11-2017, 03:36 AM   #486
    TMoore4075
    RIP LeRoi: 1961-2008

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Love the fingerprint scanner. Had it on the iPhone 6S and now Pixel 2 XL and it's fast. Now if I had an S8 I dunno cause it's in a weird location. I do sort of miss it on the front for when I'm at work cause my 2 factor authentication is an app on my phone so would be more convenient to unlock when I used that but not a huge issue. I dunno how I'd like the face ID, I'm sure I'd get used to it but definitely prefer a fingerprint scanner.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    I am so jealous of the coyotes right now.
    TMoore4075 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2017, 07:25 AM   #487
    twostep665

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I've had the original Pixel XL since the day it launched and I absolutely love it. The fingerprint scanner on the back, to me is the very best spot it can be. I can have the phone unlocked by the time it comes out of my pocket since the scanner is basically where my finger naturally rests on the back of the phone when holding it. I've had iPhones, Samsungs, Motorolas and HTC's in the past and the Pixel is far and away my all time favorite phone.
    Old 11-16-2017, 06:20 AM   #488
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Today will be my second full day with the Pixel 2 XL. Really enjoying it so far and haven't noticed any of the problem that were making news other than the blue shift, which really doesn't bother me at all. Getting used to Android again really hasn't been an issue for me, though I do miss iMessages a little bit.

Side note: Has anyone else had issue receiving texts from iPhones? I did a little research and saw that this may be a AT&T to Verizon issue, but yesterday my girlfriend sent me a text that was 81 characters long and Android Messages split it up into two texts and they came in out of order. Any ideas on how to fix this? I know SMS has a character limit, but it's greater than 81 characters and it should still break them down in the correct order.
    Old 11-16-2017, 07:02 AM   #489
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post

Side note: Has anyone else had issue receiving texts from iPhones? I did a little research and saw that this may be a AT&T to Verizon issue, but yesterday my girlfriend sent me a text that was 81 characters long and Android Messages split it up into two texts and they came in out of order. Any ideas on how to fix this? I know SMS has a character limit, but it's greater than 81 characters and it should still break them down in the correct order.
    I have not had this issue with any of my iPhone friends, but I'm on T-Mobile, if it is indeed an ATT/VZW issue..

Quote:
    Old 11-16-2017, 07:06 AM   #490
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Today will be my second full day with the Pixel 2 XL. Really enjoying it so far and haven't noticed any of the problem that were making news other than the blue shift, which really doesn't bother me at all. Getting used to Android again really hasn't been an issue for me, though I do miss iMessages a little bit.

I've seen it on rare occasion. Just the other day I got a text from a guy looking at buying a car, so I dunno what carrier he was on. But it was broken into 3 messages and I got them in the order 1st, 3rd, 2nd. Seems rare enough to not be a big deal. Most people I text with have iPhones so either that happening is rare or maybe just really long multi-part messages is rare.
    Old 11-16-2017, 07:07 AM   #491
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by twostep665 View Post
    I've had the original Pixel XL since the day it launched and I absolutely love it. The fingerprint scanner on the back, to me is the very best spot it can be. I can have the phone unlocked by the time it comes out of my pocket since the scanner is basically where my finger naturally rests on the back of the phone when holding it. I've had iPhones, Samsungs, Motorolas and HTC's in the past and the Pixel is far and away my all time favorite phone.
    Same here.
    Old 11-16-2017, 07:14 AM   #492
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GSUdawg521 View Post
    I've seen it on rare occasion. Just the other day I got a text from a guy looking at buying a car, so I dunno what carrier he was on. But it was broken into 3 messages and I got them in the order 1st, 3rd, 2nd. Seems rare enough to not be a big deal. Most people I text with have iPhones so either that happening is rare or maybe just really long multi-part messages is rare.
    It wouldn't be a big deal if it broke them into three texts and they came in logical sequence, but it is kind of annoying that they're coming in out of order. Especially with someone who I text often.

I think it almost has to be an ATT/Verizon issue, because my mom just sent me a super long text (she's on an iPhone with US Cellular) and it came through broken up, but in the correct order. Weird.
    Old 11-16-2017, 07:17 AM   #493
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

How good is the camera? Messed with my buddy’s the other day and wow. It’s iPhone good but better at portrait mode stuff.
    It also felt so huge after having the X for a few days lol. Looked great though.
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2017, 07:25 AM   #494
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    How good is the camera? Messed with my buddy’s the other day and wow. It’s iPhone good but better at portrait mode stuff.
    It also felt so huge after having the X for a few days lol. Looked great though.
    The camera is awesome. Really impressed by it, especially given that it's not dual. The rest of the phone is nice, too. I forgot how smooth and nice the Android OS is, but I wouldn't say it's better than or worse than iOS. Really just a matter of preference.

Google Assistant is amazing, though. Really blows Siri away and as a user of pretty much everything Google when it comes to email, apps, etc. it really is a beneficial feature that I use (whereas I rarely used Siri).

The phone is huge, but that's someone coming from a 6S talking, so I'm sure I'll get used to it.

We'll see if I end up keeping it. Bought it on the 12th, so I think I have until the 27th to decide. There are some things I miss about iOS and I do currently have a Macbook Pro, so losing the connectivity there may bug me moving forward.
    Old 11-17-2017, 02:01 PM   #495
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Noob question, but in Android Oreo is there a way to clear individual notifications from the top pull down notification menu? I see the option to snooze, but I'd rather just clear a few, but want to keep others.
    Old 11-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #496
    jamband1

My Tour Central Stats

Im on Nougat, not Oreo, but if you're asking what i think you are, you can just swipe left on the ones you want to dismiss, leaving the others.
    jamband1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #497
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamband1 View Post
    Im on Nougat, not Oreo, but if you're asking what i think you are, you can just swipe left on the ones you want to dismiss, leaving the others.
    Oh wow, I'm dumb.

Yeah, that worked.
    Old 11-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #498
    jamband1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Oh wow, I'm dumb.

Yeah, that worked.
    jamband1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-19-2017, 01:10 PM   #499
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

Finally got my promo code for the free Home Mini. Should have it by Wednesday. Can't wait to play with it. Need to get a few smart home things to have more fun with it.

Quote:
    Old 11-19-2017, 04:09 PM   #500
    Joruus
    The Binge

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TMoore4075 View Post
    Finally got my promo code for the free Home Mini. Should have it by Wednesday. Can't wait to play with it. Need to get a few smart home things to have more fun with it.
    I got bit hard by the smart home bug after getting my Google Home.

I now have a Logitech Harmony Hub, a full Phillips Hue setup with lights in multiple rooms, multiple Chromecasts, a second Google Home, with plans for 2 Nest Thermostats and 2 Google Home Minis.
    Old 11-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #501
    haasem99
    Make Some Noise

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joruus View Post
    I got bit hard by the smart home bug after getting my Google Home.

I now have a Logitech Harmony Hub, a full Phillips Hue setup with lights in multiple rooms, multiple Chromecasts, a second Google Home, with plans for 2 Nest Thermostats and 2 Google Home Minis.
    I recently got the home mini and the smart home bug has started to hit me as well.
    Old 11-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #502
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

I was thinking about the Nest but now that the Ecobee 4 has Google Assistant support I might get that once I decide to upgrade that.

Quote:
    Old 12-15-2017, 11:11 AM   #503
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Have had my Pixel 2 XL for a bout a month now and I'm absolutely loving it. I don't miss the iPhone or iOS experience at all.
    Old 12-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #504
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

My Tour Central Stats

Just added another Google Home to accommodate the original Google Home from last year and some additional home minis for some lighter used rooms in the flat.
    Old 12-29-2017, 05:19 PM   #505
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Got a Google Home for Christmas and absolutely love it so far. It will be even better when they add the function to play shows from different Netflix profiles. Need to get some more smart lights now.

Also got the Pixel Buds for Christmas and while I'm not an audiophile, I really don't get why some reviews were so negative. It took a little to find the sweet spot, but they fit in my ears fine. They're also really easy to put in the charging cradle.

The translation feature works well and is accurate when I tried with people who speak Polish, German and Persian.
    Old 12-29-2017, 06:02 PM   #506
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Is there a big difference between Google Home and Amazon Echo? My brother gave us an Echo for Christmas and while admittedly I haven't done much with it, I haven't been very impressed. I can't figure out what it can do that my cell phone can't...

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-29-2017, 06:45 PM   #507
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Nothing, they’re just different eco systems. They both basically do the same thing. You ask it a question, it answers. You tell it to do something it’s set up to do, it does it. I have an AED, it’s straight money. I’ll be swapping out my switches and thermostat so I can tell the bitch, Alexa, what to fucking do when I walk in my house. I can also tell her to play something on Prime Music/Video and she’ll fucking do it. They’re pretty cool pieces of tech.
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2018, 06:49 PM   #508
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Can anyone tell me how I can delete music that is on my Pixel 2 XL?

I go to Settings > Storage > Music & Audio > Audio files (where I have 10.59 GB of music that must have pulled over from my iPhone), but when I select folders, it doesn't give me a trash bin to delete them. It's super annoying and I want to free up this space.
    Old 01-11-2018, 09:35 PM   #509
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

My Tour Central Stats

There is a FREE UP SPACE button right at the top of the storage tab in settings.

Alternatively, you can (and I recommend) downloading the Files Go app that Google just released. It acts like CC cleaner and will assist you in keeping your phone cleared up and clutter free.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...02a2315993.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Old 01-12-2018, 06:17 AM   #510
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC View Post
    There is a FREE UP SPACE button right at the top of the storage tab in settings.

Alternatively, you can (and I recommend) downloading the Files Go app that Google just released. It acts like CC cleaner and will assist you in keeping your phone cleared up and clutter free.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...02a2315993.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I'll keep this in mind for the future.

Thankfully, I didn't have that much music on my phone. I had to go into each album, hit select all, and then it finally gave me the option to delete. Seemed to let me delete files but not folders. Obviously there were easier ways, but I wanted to do it and was getting frustrated.