Xbone has actual games. Ps4 just kinda wobbles - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #91
thebridge15

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Possible new Microsoft console in 2012?

So should I or should I not buy a 360 in the near future?

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #92
    Mateo2k

Shows Seen: 91

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebridge15 View Post
    You should. If there are games on it you like, and you will use it, then it's a good price for the value. If you won't use it, or want to have the "latest/greatest" (which I don't think is the case as you're thinking of buying an xbox360 now), then wait until 2013.
    Mateo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #93
    tball123

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They haven't even showed the next Xbox yet. Could be 1-2 years after they show it to release it.
    tball123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #94
    Mateo2k

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thestand View Post
    More stuff today. The design must be coming together right now, for all these things to be coming out. Reports confirm some form of Blu-Ray, it will come with Kinect 2.0, and then a bit about having an anti-used games measure. That last bit is interesting, as the developers would certainly be for it, but I'm not sure exactly how it'd work.

http://kotaku.com/5879202/sources-th...oduce-kinect-2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tball123 View Post
    Anti used games? What a load of shit.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmich176 View Post
    Well, if this ends up happening, I shall not be buying any more XBox-Next Gen products.
    Not really buying the "anti-used game" thing as a system feature, but I think it will tend to be more of the "online pass" thing we've seen many games do.
    Old 01-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #95
    thestand
    Best Ever

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mateo2k View Post
    Not really buying the "anti-used game" thing as a system feature, but I think it will tend to be more of the "online pass" thing we've seen many games do.
    Right, there's no way they can stop used games, borrowed games, or game rentals. But what I'm assuming they'll do is free offline mode, but any online will have to be your own copy, or buy a pass to use it online.
    Will in time both outpace and outlive you, Hail Satan!
    thestand is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #96
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Could there be a way to have the console download an activation file off the play disc, and then have the console delete the file on the disc? That way, if you try to use the disc on a different console the game, it won't be able to play.
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #97
    Mateo2k

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Right, there's no way they can stop used games, borrowed games, or game rentals. But what I'm assuming they'll do is free offline mode, but any online will have to be your own copy, or buy a pass to use it online.
    I see the price of Online Passes increasing in the next generation as well.
    Old 02-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #98
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

So the team behind the Unreal Engine may just be forcing the hands of the next gen console makers. Unreal Engine 3 is what a huge amount of this generation's games run on. I don't have exact numbers, but it's fair to say it's the most common engine out there. And they've been releasing information on Unreal Engine 4. That "Samaritan" video I posted on the last page, that was on a heavily modified version of UE3. And the team has said that it required hardware capable of producing 2.5 teraFLOPs to run it. The 360 can do .25 teraFLOPs. So just to run something that's still on UE3, a new system would have to be 10x more powerful. Again, the Unreal Engine has been the go-to engine for a ton of studios since UE1. If they want systems to be at least 10x more powerful, they have a good chance of forcing the issue.
    Old 02-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #99
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

This may not seem significant, but we now know the codename of the new system: Durango.

But this is a bit of good news (for those of us that want a system sooner rather than later, that is), because it means that they've moved out of the true development phase, and more into a "this is what we have, how can we improve it" phase. So they know what they want to make, and are now in the process of sending it out to studios, getting feedback, and tweaking. I'd say this is much more in line with a mid 2013 release, rather than a 2014 release. We'll see.
    Old 02-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #100
    pkrfan97

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

That makes sense since last I heard the next IW CoD game is being developed for next-gen systems (so Nov 2013).
    Old 03-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #101
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

An extremely interesting report out yesterday. The hot rumor is that the new console will be without a disc drive, and that all games will be sold digitally, and a solid state storage system is in the works. But Kotaku had heard that the new system will have Blu-Ray, so there's seemingly two competing rumors. I wonder if there's a chance that it will have a Blu-Ray drive, but Microsoft will not support games on Blu-Ray, meaning developers will have to distribute digitally only.

Both reports say that the console is 100% on track for a 2013 release, with a debut at this year's E3 still very possible.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/exclu...xt-xbox/092534
    http://kotaku.com/5891850/the-next-x...e-a-disc-drive
    Old 03-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #102
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Don't like the digital idea at all. Digital games do not look cool sitting on my DVD shelf.
    rickyh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #103
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Well (and), if Assassin's Creed III is any example, maybe they'll eventually just start mass producing cases for games which don't actually have a disc. Anyone who preordered ACIII on the first days of preorders got a steelseries case for the game with nothing in it.

But digital makes sense for the developers and distributors, but also for the consumer. No more failing discs, no more lost discs, no more throwing out a system because your disc drive stops reading. It should also guarantee instant forwards compatibility for the XB4 in another decade or so, as you'll be able to log into your account and redownload everything.
    Old 03-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #104
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    An extremely interesting report out yesterday. The hot rumor is that the new console will be without a disc drive, and that all games will be sold digitally, and a solid state storage system is in the works. But Kotaku had heard that the new system will have Blu-Ray, so there's seemingly two competing rumors. I wonder if there's a chance that it will have a Blu-Ray drive, but Microsoft will not support games on Blu-Ray, meaning developers will have to distribute digitally only.

Both reports say that the console is 100% on track for a 2013 release, with a debut at this year's E3 still very possible.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/exclu...xt-xbox/092534
    http://kotaku.com/5891850/the-next-x...e-a-disc-drive
    DuMB, and not happening, for so many reasons.

1) Build a console/entertainment center that can't play movies? Most people still have their movie collection on physical discs (DVD or BD). Why would Microsoft completely eliminate it's console from being a multi-purpose entertainment center like that? No way.

2) Backwards compatibility. Being able to play 360 games on the console when it first ships is huge, considering the inevitable small library that comes with a next-gen system. Need backwards compatibility. At least for now.

3) How big is this HDD going to be? Some people have MASSIVE collections. I would assume, and it's probably a safe assumption, that these next-gen games would take up more HDD space than 360 games, by a decent amount. How big of a SSD would be needed, and what would the cost to Microsoft be? A freaking lot. 1-2 TB for sure would be necessary I would think, considering they are shipping 250 GB 360's now. I mean, the price on those would be astronomical for Microsoft. Just not happening.

4) Marketing with Best Buy/Target/Wal-Mart. No way would they want to sell the consoles at their stores if there wasn't the ability to purchase games as well. That's where those stores make their profit, not on the console themselves. Their profit margin on consoles is so slim, it's ridiculous. They would need to sell games to want to stock them on their shelves.
    Old 03-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #105
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    DuMB, and not happening, for so many reasons.

1) Build a console/entertainment center that can't play movies? Most people still have their movie collection on physical discs (DVD or BD). Why would Microsoft completely eliminate it's console from being a multi-purpose entertainment center like that? No way.

2) Backwards compatibility. Being able to play 360 games on the console when it first ships is huge, considering the inevitable small library that comes with a next-gen system. Need backwards compatibility. At least for now.

3) How big is this HDD going to be? Some people have MASSIVE collections. I would assume, and it's probably a safe assumption, that these next-gen games would take up more HDD space than 360 games, by a decent amount. How big of a SSD would be needed, and what would the cost to Microsoft be? A freaking lot. 1-2 TB for sure would be necessary I would think, considering they are shipping 250 GB 360's now. I mean, the price on those would be astronomical for Microsoft. Just not happening.

4) Marketing with Best Buy/Target/Wal-Mart. No way would they want to sell the consoles at their stores if there wasn't the ability to purchase games as well. That's where those stores make their profit, not on the console themselves. Their profit margin on consoles is so slim, it's ridiculous. They would need to sell games to want to stock them on their shelves.
    Your points are not invalid, except for your fourth one. GAME in the UK is seeing its best sales ever now that they've taken to simply selling download codes for many games. Gamestop in North America is also making huge money on the same thing. You'd be shocked to learn how many people go to Gamestop to buy DLC, instead of giving Microsoft their CC info. Or they buy it at Gamestop.com and instantly download the code: http://www.gamestop.com/browse/xbox-...c?nav=1385-18a . Digital only really doesn't hurt physical locations as much as you may think.
    Old 03-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #106
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

To your second point: we just had the launch of a digital only console that had backwards compatibility with its older generation. The PS Vita is download only, while the PSP had UMDs. The solution: the ability to download the games you own on UMD for a fee. New consoles aren't marketed solely as a new way to play old games, there should never be a guarantee of backwards compatibility. But it's easy enough to make digital only consoles backwards compatible, for a fee. More money for Microsoft. Hell, Sony has had no problem shipping consoles without backwards compatibility in all of the newest PS3s. And, as other reports have said, it appears that their next system may ditch the Cell system, which would mean the PS4 will probably not be fully backwards compatible, unless they find a way to emulate the Cell.
    Old 03-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #107
    Joruus
    The Binge

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Biggest thing that happens in going all digital... it dries up the secondary market and forces those that buy used into buying new. More money into the developer and publisher's pockets.
    Old 03-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #108
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Your points are not invalid, except for your fourth one. GAME in the UK is seeing its best sales ever now that they've taken to simply selling download codes for many games. Gamestop in North America is also making huge money on the same thing. You'd be shocked to learn how many people go to Gamestop to buy DLC, instead of giving Microsoft their CC info. Or they buy it at Gamestop.com and instantly download the code: http://www.gamestop.com/browse/xbox-...c?nav=1385-18a . Digital only really doesn't hurt physical locations as much as you may think.
    Right, but the assumption that when it becomes all digital that the trend is going to continue that way is a bold one. That's a small sample size. As things continue, more and more people are going to just download things from home.

I'm not saying it's not going to happen, and obviously those numbers can be looked at and aren't invalid in any way, but I just don't think it's going to happen yet.

Quote:
    To your second point: we just had the launch of a digital only console that had backwards compatibility with its older generation. The PS Vita is download only, while the PSP had UMDs. The solution: the ability to download the games you own on UMD for a fee. New consoles aren't marketed solely as a new way to play old games, there should never be a guarantee of backwards compatibility. But it's easy enough to make digital only consoles backwards compatible, for a fee. More money for Microsoft. Hell, Sony has had no problem shipping consoles without backwards compatibility in all of the newest PS3s. And, as other reports have said, it appears that their next system may ditch the Cell system, which would mean the PS4 will probably not be fully backwards compatible, unless they find a way to emulate the Cell.
    Right, but my point maybe was that this first next-gen XBOX will no way be that way. Portable systems and full blown consoles are two separate beasts. Maybe I could see the 2nd version, redesigned XBOX 3 not be backwards compatible, but the initial launch would fall flat on it's face if it wasn't. The 20, 60 and 80GB PS3's were backwards compatible, I'm sure because Sony knew that it takes time to create a game library for the new console.

I just don't think it's ready yet. I can see it being in pre-planning or development, but no way ready to ship right away for the next-gen system.
    Old 03-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #109
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Big rumors for Sony's new console today.

Project is currently named Orbis. And, given the Vita's name, that may be a final name. Orbis Vita can be read as "Circle of Life".

The bulletpoints:

CPU will be an AMD x64. The GPU will be in line with AMD's 2012 lineup of PC GPUs, which is just a tremendous amount of power. What that means is that the Orbis will be able to output 3D in 1080p (the PS3 could barely do 720p, and most 3D games didn't even hit that, as it was a risk of overheating the device). But in 2D, the Orbis will be able to hit true 2k definition, of 4096×2160. Most TVs can't handle that yet, but again, this is always a life cycle game. The Orbis is scheduled for release Holiday 2013, and I can guarantee by 2017, the same amount of people that have 1080p devices today will have 2k devices.

The system will not be backwards compatible, at all. this shouldn't be a surprise, as I've pointed out before. The PS3 had a unique processing system called Cell, and it would be too expensive to put this new CPU/GPU in the Orbis, and then add a Cell processor just for backwards compatibility. So keep your PS3s.

The system will have an anti-used game system, as Microsoft's next console is rumored to have. Basically, when you buy a new game, you will register the game to your PSN ID. When you buy a used game, you will only be buying a trial version of the game, in essence. You will then have to pay a fee to unlock the game. This is bad news for used game buyers, but good news for people who hate online passes, as this basically will eliminate them.

All games, even full AAA titles, will be available both as a Blu-Ray disc and as a digital download. This means you should expect big big big hard drives on the Orbis. 1TB may be a launch size. Because AAA games on the PS3 ran up to 50GB in size. So that would be under 20 games on a HD for a TB drive.

As always, these are rumors, but Kotaku speaks very highly of the source. Some of the above could change, but the point to take home is this: both Microsoft and Sony have Holiday 2013 as a target. The idea of a launch later than that, at this point, is dead. And that's a good thing, as I've mentioned before. Even if you're not ready to buy a new console until 2015, you want the new console to come out as soon as possible, as it only means better games sooner.

http://kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-p...re-the-details
    Old 03-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #110
    RhodyDMBFan
    I'm in my prime.

Shows Seen: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New XBox and Playstation Consoles Discussion

So glad I only play about one game a year. PS3 will last me another decade at this rate.
    RhodyDMBFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #111
    bartender4041

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Digital DL's are the future. Apple's cloud, google's cloud, etc... This will also lower the cost due to burning millions of CD's, boxing, packaging, shipping.

Who cares about backwards compatibility? Once the new Xbox or PS comes out, the old ones will drop dramatically in price.

1 TB Hard Drives are cheap as hell now, even to end user consumers

As far as playing DVD's- there could be an external DVD drive. Microsoft sorta did this with the original Xbox- you needed a remote to play the DVDs.

Good to hear PS is going with AMD processors
    bartender4041 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #112
    I'mOnGreyStreet

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Big rumors for Sony's new console today.

Project is currently named Orbis. And, given the Vita's name, that may be a final name. Orbis Vita can be read as "Circle of Life".

The bulletpoints:

CPU will be an AMD x64. The GPU will be in line with AMD's 2012 lineup of PC GPUs, which is just a tremendous amount of power. What that means is that the Orbis will be able to output 3D in 1080p (the PS3 could barely do 720p, and most 3D games didn't even hit that, as it was a risk of overheating the device). But in 2D, the Orbis will be able to hit true 2k definition, of 4096×2160. Most TVs can't handle that yet, but again, this is always a life cycle game. The Orbis is scheduled for release Holiday 2013, and I can guarantee by 2017, the same amount of people that have 1080p devices today will have 2k devices.

The system will not be backwards compatible, at all. this shouldn't be a surprise, as I've pointed out before. The PS3 had a unique processing system called Cell, and it would be too expensive to put this new CPU/GPU in the Orbis, and then add a Cell processor just for backwards compatibility. So keep your PS3s.

The system will have an anti-used game system, as Microsoft's next console is rumored to have. Basically, when you buy a new game, you will register the game to your PSN ID. When you buy a used game, you will only be buying a trial version of the game, in essence. You will then have to pay a fee to unlock the game. This is bad news for used game buyers, but good news for people who hate online passes, as this basically will eliminate them.

All games, even full AAA titles, will be available both as a Blu-Ray disc and as a digital download. This means you should expect big big big hard drives on the Orbis. 1TB may be a launch size. Because AAA games on the PS3 ran up to 50GB in size. So that would be under 20 games on a HD for a TB drive.

As always, these are rumors, but Kotaku speaks very highly of the source. Some of the above could change, but the point to take home is this: both Microsoft and Sony have Holiday 2013 as a target. The idea of a launch later than that, at this point, is dead. And that's a good thing, as I've mentioned before. Even if you're not ready to buy a new console until 2015, you want the new console to come out as soon as possible, as it only means better games sooner.

http://kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-p...re-the-details
    Starting price: $999.99
    Old 03-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #113
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

I want them to start using SSD, no more HDD.
    Old 03-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #114
    RhodyDMBFan
    I'm in my prime.

Shows Seen: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartender4041 View Post
    Digital DL's are the future. Apple's cloud, google's cloud, etc... This will also lower the cost due to burning millions of CD's, boxing, packaging, shipping.

Who cares about backwards compatibility? Once the new Xbox or PS comes out, the old ones will drop dramatically in price.

As far as playing DVD's- there could be an external DVD drive. Microsoft sorta did this with the original Xbox- you needed a remote to play the DVDs.

Yeah but look at how much more SSD are than HDDs. A 250G SSD costs more than a 1.5TB HDD. You have to have at least 2TB memory if you're not going to have a disc reader. 2TB nets only 40 games/movies so even that may be low. 2TB SDD right now is probably close to $1000.
    RhodyDMBFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #115
    pkrfan97

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

^ I would even accept a hybrid drive (SSD/HDD) at this point; at least show they're making an effort to switch over.
    Old 03-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #116
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pkrfan97 View Post
    ^ I would even accept a hybrid drive (SSD/HDD) at this point; at least show they're making an effort to switch over.
    My guess: both systems will have an infrastructure in place where there is a removable HDD component, and an installed SSD component that works in tandem. Like say a 50GB SSD that mounts your game during play, but the cold storage is on the HDD. Allows you to have a portable HDD, but the actual lifting is done off of the SSD. Would probably mean a small startup lag for games, as it'll take a little bit to mount the title to the SSD, but it'd be worth it.

That being said, as pointed out, there's no realistic way they can ship just an SSD.
    Old 03-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #117
    ji/\/\ithing
    Missing Roi... Always

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haiku Jimi View Post
    LOL, u still haz your credit card?

I was a complete Sony fanboy as far as PS1 and PS2 go. Into the whole JRPG/Metal Gear/etc thing.

But the 360 is an amazing console (well if you have a newer, non RRoD model, although my old one is still kciking), the XBL network is definitely better than PSN, and let's face it, the majority of big titles are released for both. And I don't care about Blu Ray.
    this, combined with the fact that i don't have a standalone BD player and have zero desire to pay a subscription fee just to access online content keeps me in the PS camp. also, i'm an old school SOCOM fanboy, and i keep holding hope that they'll release a decent update for the series (still waiting...)
    ji/\/\ithing is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #118
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My guess: both systems will have an infrastructure in place where there is a removable HDD component, and an installed SSD component that works in tandem. Like say a 50GB SSD that mounts your game during play, but the cold storage is on the HDD. Allows you to have a portable HDD, but the actual lifting is done off of the SSD. Would probably mean a small startup lag for games, as it'll take a little bit to mount the title to the SSD, but it'd be worth it.

That being said, as pointed out, there's no realistic way they can ship just an SSD.
    Obviously not, way too expensive, but I like your idea.

I have had HDDs fail on me before, and it's the worst.
    Old 03-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #119
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartender4041 View Post

Where are they cheap as hell? A 1TB drive today costs what I paid for a 2TB drive a year ago!

And how quickly will people blow through their bandwidth limitations downloading several games that require blank BD25's or several DVD5's to burn? Bad enough downloading CD-size files several times a month nevermind high def files. Add in all the people streaming HD content, etc.

An all digital world is still way off. Physical media is king for now. People will always love ownership.

Last edited by dobyblue; 03-28-2012 at 05:45 PM.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #120
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I think either new console from Sony or Microsoft not having a disc player is a really bad idea.

Isn't Microsoft trying to turn the 360 into a home entertainment center? Isn't that the point of them adding apps like YouTube, MLB.tv, Xfinity, FiOS and HBO Go? I think not having a disc player completely detracts from that. (From a gaming standpoint, it makes complete sense.)
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    504 boys , rodeyiswobbled , wobblewobble , xboneon , xboneskyperickyh24