The Next Studio album. - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-03-2020, 04:34 AM   #61
eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Next Studio album.

I don’t want any songs we’ve already heard on the next album. All new. Save the ones we’ve heard for the big box set w/ all the unreleased tracks.
eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-03-2020, 05:45 AM   #62
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I’m torn. I don’t want dmb to call it quits any time soon but I would be curious to hear what another Dave solo album and/or D&F tour would look like. I think it would be very refreshing. I keep coming back to that Brandi Carlile Turpentine cover that Dave did and how interesting it was to hear him backed by a different type of band.
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2020, 10:21 AM   #63
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 View Post
    I’m torn. I don’t want dmb to call it quits any time soon but I would be curious to hear what another Dave solo album and/or D&F tour would look like. I think it would be very refreshing. I keep coming back to that Brandi Carlile Turpentine cover that Dave did and how interesting it was to hear him backed by a different type of band.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UZYQEp-A1k

This is incredible
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2020, 10:31 AM   #64
    Aircanuck

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 View Post
    You're not kidding, it is THAT good.
    Aircanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2020, 11:16 AM   #65
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aircanuck View Post
    You're not kidding, it is THAT good.
    Wow! That is spectacular. Dave with a group of quality musicians will always be bliss. To me this shows it really is Dave Matthews' Band not Dave Matthews Band. As phenomenal as the band was/is, Dave was/is/will be the draw.
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #66
    eggsrsweet

My Tour Central Stats

I think that "Turpentine" video made me realize how much I hate Rashawn and Tim. The electric guitar and slide guitar tones in that video are so much better than Tim's weird ass shit that he's always doing. Not bashing Tim either because Tim/TR3 is great live... but that sound doesn't fit in DMB. And Rashawn... well, Rashawn has always sucked ass.

Something else that video made me realize is that Dave should have one or two LEGIT songwriting partners; people who understand Dave's overall writing style but can better convey his ideas. Based on his output the last decade or so, it is clear that Dave's songwriting skills are in the shitter.
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2020, 12:41 PM   #67
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    Wow! That is spectacular. Dave with a group of quality musicians will always be bliss. To me this shows it really is Dave Matthews' Band not Dave Matthews Band. As phenomenal as the band was/is, Dave was/is/will be the draw.
    I agree
    Old 08-03-2020, 12:47 PM   #68
    Gjimmy

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 View Post
    Dang thanks for sharing, that was great.
    Gjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2020, 01:46 PM   #69
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eggsrsweet View Post
    I think that "Turpentine" video made me realize how much I hate Rashawn and Tim. The electric guitar and slide guitar tones in that video are so much better than Tim's weird ass shit that he's always doing. Not bashing Tim either because Tim/TR3 is great live... but that sound doesn't fit in DMB. And Rashawn... well, Rashawn has always sucked ass.

Something else that video made me realize is that Dave should have one or two LEGIT songwriting partners; people who understand Dave's overall writing style but can better convey his ideas. Based on his output the last decade or so, it is clear that Dave's songwriting skills are in the shitter.

Agreed. He writes with John Alagía from time to time I believe, but I feel like John never says anything negative/critical to Dave about his songwriting/lyrics since they seem like good friends and he prob doesn’t wanna offend him. Haha
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2020, 02:29 PM   #70
    bigeyedpigs

My Tour Central Stats

That turpentine video is great.
    I'm not sure what I'd want for the next studio album but I want it to feel cohesive and at this point I'm going to need a lot of Jeff. Rashawn and buddy do nothing for me and there is not going to be a violin. I really think at this point I'd like to see Dave work with Jeff Lynn as a producer and see what comes out of that.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #71
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I've said it before and always get crap for it, but Tim was amazing when he was a surprise guest. Every single night it's just routine now. And sounds like it.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2020, 02:46 PM   #72
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dodo36 View Post
    I've said it before and always get crap for it, but Tim was amazing when he was a surprise guest. Every single night it's just routine now. And sounds like it.

If Tim was truly great (like how Roi is now appreciated by all of us on everything he's appeared on), and was a true master of the guitar, then we wouldn't be seeing how anyone is now tired of his sound in any thread.
    RSSR is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2020, 03:03 PM   #73
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    If Tim was truly great (like how Roi is now appreciated by all of us on everything he's appeared on), and was a true master of the guitar, then we wouldn't be seeing how anyone is now tired of his sound in any thread.
    Well this isn't true at all. Tim is great, no one says otherwise. People sometimes dislike how he utilized in the band setting. But that doesn't mean he isn't a master at the guitar.
    Old 08-03-2020, 03:21 PM   #74
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well this isn't true at all. Tim is great, no one says otherwise. People sometimes dislike how he utilized in the band setting. But that doesn't mean he isn't a master at the guitar.

He hasn't done anything on DMB albums or DMB shows to differentiate himself from the hundreds of other unknown guitarists out there that can replicate everything he does. Hell, lots of people wish he would switch over to the acoustic permanently because they associate how he sounds on L@LC with an acoustic.
    RSSR is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2020, 03:25 PM   #75
    kmb40oz

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

I'd love for them to work with Dave Cobb and tap into that Louisiana/southern sound that we got a taste of on Big Whiskey. Buddy could do wonders on an album featuring those types of songs.

Last edited by kmb40oz; 08-03-2020 at 03:26 PM.
    kmb40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2020, 03:40 PM   #76
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    He hasn't done anything on DMB albums or DMB shows to differentiate himself from the hundreds of other unknown guitarists out there that can replicate everything he does. Hell, lots of people wish he would switch over to the acoustic permanently because they associate how he sounds on L@LC with an acoustic.
    Hundreds of unknown guitarists can replicate almost anything ever played by anyone. That doesn't mean the guitarist responsible for the art isn't a master.

Your second point proves mine. Its not Tim's skill that is the issue. Its how the band chooses to employ his skill.

Only one person that ever played in DMB has a skill issue.
    Old 08-03-2020, 03:57 PM   #77
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

The Next Studio album.

Quote:
    Hundreds of unknown guitarists can replicate almost anything ever played by anyone. That doesn't mean the guitarist responsible for the art isn't a master.

Your second point proves mine. Its not Tim's skill that is the issue. Its how the band chooses to employ his skill.

Only one person that ever played in DMB has a skill issue.

To play devil’s advocate - what if Dave has told Tim: “play whatever/however you want on stage with DMB, I trust your stylistic choices”. And, actually, given Dave’s leadership style/approach/demeanor, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s closer to this than him controlling each band member’s approach to the music. If it’s more along these lines then what RSSR is saying might be valid. Tim’s solos are pretty straightforward (not always!) and don’t vary that much from show to show.

No one on here truly knows what discussions are had within the band regarding its sound, so it’s an interesting topic up for debate.

Last edited by TheStone91; 08-03-2020 at 03:58 PM.
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2020, 04:08 PM   #78
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheStone91 View Post
    To play devil’s advocate - what if Dave has told Tim: “play whatever/however you want on stage with DMB, I trust your stylistic choices”. And, actually, given Dave’s leadership style/approach/demeanor, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s closer to this than him controlling each band member’s approach to the music. If it’s more along these lines then what RSSR is saying might be valid. Tim’s solos are pretty straightforward (not always!) and don’t vary that much from show to show.

No one on here truly knows what discussions are had within the band regarding its sound, so it’s an interesting topic up for debate.
    If your hypothesis is correct what he said may have merit. But I don't think Dave is even the primary musical director anymore. From everything we know that is RR's role.

If Tim's musical ability was an issue it would be an issue in D&T as well. I've never heard anyone be overly critical of his playing in that setting. A solo choice every now and then maybe but nothing like the complaints about him in DMB.

People don't like the role he plays in the band. That is different than his skills not being good enough. Like you said we don't know who decides what the roles are, but I highly doubt its Tim just turning up to 11 and shredding over the rest of the band on his own and just saying fuck yall to the rest of the guys.
    Old 08-03-2020, 04:45 PM   #79
    Royal123

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I agree with all of these salient points here in this thread. Would love if they got conveyed to management. But I’ll hold my breath and cross fingers in vain.
    Royal123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2020, 08:36 PM   #80
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Dave has amazing writing partners in his band. Ideally he works more w/ them. I don't want him doing the Ballard thing again. It's understood that so many folks love ED, but it is such a massive drop from everything previous. It made SU somewhat unsurprising, despite it's even bigger drop in quality.

This group does its absolute best work TOGETHER and WITHOUT anything other than good producers (I don't Ballard or Batson as good producers...for DMB ). In this day and age that does NOT require being in the same room, building, city, state, etc. ...they should be sending each other ideas and meeting via Zoom or similar on the reg.

I'm looking forward to hearing new music and hope they advantage of this time to create and record some.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2020, 12:16 PM   #81
    CrAzYEasyDMB04
    This is the Last Stop

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

lol what do you know about trumpet playing? just curious
    Old 08-04-2020, 12:57 PM   #82
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrAzYEasyDMB04 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. You can not like what Rashawn is playing, but to say he sucks ass neglects the massive amount of talent that man has.
    Old 08-04-2020, 02:32 PM   #83
    jwrice5

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

The order of my wishlist:

1. Dave solo - just him and a guitar
    2. D&T - acoustic, all original songs
    3. D&C&S(&T) - Stripped down, acoustic, just the remaining 3 founders (w/ Tim from BTCS era fills)
    4. DMB - For the first time in my history of listening to the band my reaction to their full band work/sound right now is: "Eh, I've heard that before"

2 and 3 are really interchangeable, I think.
    jwrice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2020, 11:14 PM   #84
    WhereYouGoin

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwrice5 View Post
    The order of my wishlist:

1. Dave solo - just him and a guitar
    2. D&T - acoustic, all original songs
    3. D&C&S(&T) - Stripped down, acoustic, just the remaining 3 founders (w/ Tim from BTCS era fills)
    4. DMB - For the first time in my history of listening to the band my reaction to their full band work/sound right now is: "Eh, I've heard that before"

2 and 3 are really interchangeable, I think.
    Yes plus a reunion of Tony, Trey, Ray & Brady.
    WhereYouGoin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2020, 06:26 AM   #85
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

It’s obviously not Dave or the band’s style to release music this way, but an unannounced EP with Shadows on the Wall and 3-4 other songs would be really nice right now.
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2020, 09:06 AM   #86
    DMB1JW

Shows Seen: 113

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 View Post
    It’s obviously not Dave or the band’s style to release music this way, but an unannounced EP with Shadows on the Wall and 3-4 other songs would be really nice right now.
    Agree 1000% ....This makes too much sense and would be so welcomed right now.
    DMB1JW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2020, 10:56 AM   #87
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrAzYEasyDMB04 View Post
    Trumpet was never my cup of tea to start. Even in a good jazz orchestra.

Rashawn tries to rock and roll the trumpet and it’s just horrible. I’m sure he has good talent, but it’s scary to think how much input he has over the “horn section” especially over someone like Jeff who plays an instrument that is a cornerstone of the sound.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2020, 02:51 PM   #88
    elconguero

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don’t want any songs we’ve already heard on the next album. All new. Save the ones we’ve heard for the big box set w/ all the unreleased tracks.

Don't quite understand this logic. If they never put songs we heard before on albums, you wouldn't have the Big 3.

I do like the idea of a box set of unreleased music though.

Really wish they would have just released EP's around 04 when they started writing half an albums worth of quality songs. It's when they tried to expand that to full albums or scrapping those ideas that they started watering down their catalog.
    elconguero is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-13-2020, 07:34 AM   #89
    DMBvol41

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    Trumpet was never my cup of tea to start. Even in a good jazz orchestra.

Rashawn tries to rock and roll the trumpet and it’s just horrible. I’m sure he has good talent, but it’s scary to think how much input he has over the “horn section” especially over someone like Jeff who plays an instrument that is a cornerstone of the sound.
    I think a lot of the problem with Rashawn is he chooses to be really loud and not very melodic. If he toned it back some instead of blasting all the time it would sound better.

Another issue IMO is that the "horn section" feels so staged and planned out in what they play. All the horn parts are similar from night to night. Way less improv. I think it gets stale over time....

Instead of a really cool solo at the end of #41 now we get that da da da da da da da da da horn thing they always do. Just way less improv
    Old 08-13-2020, 01:51 PM   #90
    kmb40oz

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBvol41 View Post
    I think a lot of the problem with Rashawn is he chooses to be really loud and not very melodic. If he toned it back some instead of blasting all the time it would sound better.

Another issue IMO is that the "horn section" feels so staged and planned out in what they play. All the horn parts are similar from night to night. Way less improv. I think it gets stale over time....

Instead of a really cool solo at the end of #41 now we get that da da da da da da da da da horn thing they always do. Just way less improv
    The band is really loud and not very melodic. If they toned it back some instead of blasting all the time it would sound better.