Carter Beauford - Page 8 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: Is Carter as good now if not better than he has ever been on the drums?
Yes 322 84.51%
No 59 15.49%
Voters: 381. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #211
RushianSyrinx

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Carter Beauford

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba40 View Post

IMO, above-average jazz work from Carter is as follows. First, I should say that 1) I am not a drummer, 2) I have studied and do study the technicalities/specificities of jazz, 3) I have a LOT more to learn/study, and 4) I'm 100% a jazz guy. 100%.
Good someone from a different perspective than the rest of us. I like diversity in conversation.

Quote:
But I think much, hell maybe most, of Carter's work is at least jazz-influenced. Or at least much/most of his work not on Everyday/Stand Up.
This basically sums upwhat you said and what I'll say. Is the Jazz influence there? Absolutely. This sums up everything you've said in your post. And when I got here, it made me re-write everything in this post

Quote:
-his tom work on Say Goodbye (highly reminiscent of the very, very early drum and fife duos that preceeded what we today call jazz)
GREAT call on this one. The only thing I find missing is the call and response. Not very much of this going on in Say Goodbye intros (or in the song). Its more like drums and flute. I agree that the connection is there though.

Quote:
-syncopated groove on Spaceman
I think we can all agree that this one is just snazzy.

Quote:
-A live #41 from the Coffin era, especially his high hat.
-comping/supporting work behind Roi or Rashawn soloing on Sugar Will
-background on Roi's solos on PFWYG
-his work on the outro of Rapunzel
-much of LITHOG
-the dreaming tree verse, and outro from '07-today
I can agree with the idea of a jazz influence. One of the key elements of music to me is the idea of the musical conversation - a discussion between instruments. This idea is very prevalent in jazz, but doesn't mean it can't be found elsewhere. The conversation is present throughout all of DMB's material and Carter is a very "conversational" player - so is the band.

Quote:
I think Carter implements a lot of syncopated grooves in many, many DMB songs in the live setting. And I find him improvising within the established structure, rhythm, and groove of the song constantly. A little high-hat accent there, an extra snare hit here, some quick tom work there. And I do feel him frequently swinging.
This relates to my previous comment in the thread about the brain and approach to drumming. Some drummers won't change a lick (Neil Peart) and others will stretch out (Carter). Some will be more subtle in changing than others. It's all in how the individual approaches the instrument and the idea of music.

Quote:
You know what, I was wrong about the latin sensibilities (with the exception of Warehouse). I can't come up with another example besides that tune. And I do really like his latin feel there.
Okay, he guested on a song on Santana's "Supernatural" album; I really liked his latin feel there.
Eh... it's "Latin" but it's not latin.

Quote:
Overall, IMO, syncopation and improvisation are two of jazz's tenants. I feel that Carter utilizes both constantly. .
Agreed.

Some items that you mentioned - ghost notes and a few others - can be found in other styles though. Ghost notes are a big part of funk, too.
Mystic rhythms -- under northern lights
Primitive things stir
The hearts of everyone
RushianSyrinx is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 12-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #212
    aparker507

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Other songs that still make me go wow:

Drive In Drive Out
    Fool To Think
    Rhyme and Reason - The open/closed hi hat and bass drum pattern is VERY tricky
    You Never Know
    So Damn Lucky - Even though I sometimes think there's too many cymbals going on, what he plays here is just incredible.

I was also watching LITHOG from ACL the other day. I noticed he was using ghost notes like crazy, and ridiculously fast. I can't get over how he plays those that fast, that soft. His use of ghost notes to me are just incredible. When you watch him on the screens, his hands never stop moving.

One last song I think he's really come to overplay is Funny the Way It Is. The studio version is perfect, but live, this song has just gotten so loud and cymbals are everywhere. I'm never one to complain about Carter, but this is the one thing I will complain on.

Last edited by aparker507; 12-30-2010 at 10:22 AM.
    aparker507 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-30-2010, 11:17 AM   #213
    aparker507

My Tour Central Stats

I lied.....One last thing I hate now Carter does is the little groove during Boyd's part during The Stone after Dave's solo part. It sounds so much better letting Boyd have that to himself instead of adding that little groove Carter has added. I'm watching Listener Supported and it's so refreshing to hear it with just Boyd and Dave.

No more Carter complaining from me
    Old 07-23-2020, 04:13 AM   #214
    swanparadise
    Lost Somewhere in Paris

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Hello there,

I've got a drummer friend, and would like to impress him with some Carter Magic.
    He's a fan of the band Rush.

I would like to show him some Youtube videos, what could you recommand?

Thanks.

DMB 2002-07-28 (SPAC, NY) / D&T 2007-03-06 (Paris, France) / DMB 2009-07-01 (Paris, France) / DMB 2015-11-05 (Paris, France) / DMB 2019-03-10 (Paris, France)
    swanparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2020, 08:24 AM   #215
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by swanparadise View Post
    Hello there,

I've got a drummer friend, and would like to impress him with some Carter Magic.

Thanks.
    He’s a Rush fan you say? Show him this Drive In Drive Out

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EayuuISrIw0
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2020, 08:29 AM   #216
    RushianSyrinx

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hello there,

Thanks.

As far as Studio albums go, the only one that really captures what Carter can do in a live setting is Big Whiskey. The rest of the studio albums are pretty sterile when it comes to Carter’s work.

Carter GoPro Drum Solo - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Pb6PF8LXA

Two Step from Listener Supported - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VllfUmKzNg8

OR

Two Step from Piedmont Park - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0UkH4JMWc8U

So Much to Say/Anyone Seen the Bridge (Carter Cam) - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W_2x4_HfK_A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Primitive things stir
    The hearts of everyone
    Old 08-01-2020, 10:19 PM   #217
    Matt83
    #11 (The Quirk)

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hello there,

Thanks.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...dO8aFmjfWtuatu

There you go, good buddy.
    Matt83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2020, 04:44 AM   #218
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Voting in 2010, yes
    Voting today, maybe. Today he still is as good in bursts but can’t keep it going all show night after night like he used to. Age I am sure
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2020, 09:35 AM   #219
    LaLaLaLaHey

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I think Carter peaked between 2013 and 2016. So much energy, but he tamed it and applied it ingeniously into his fills and beats. He’s still my favorite drummer and I’d still consider him to be at the very top of the “best drummers in the world” list, but it’s quite obvious that he hit a bit of a decline starting in 2018 with The Night Before 2/3/18 performance. Since then, he’s been slowly improving and getting his game back on, and now he’s close to where he was in 2016 but not quite all the way there. For one, the energy in his playing seems to have decreased. He “overplays” less than he used to. But this is all expected with age too - I credit him for playing to the best of his abilities and doing what he can! He’s 61.

That being said, I think his drum tone and mix has a huge factor in how we perceive his sound, and recently, I think he’s gotten a pretty bad mix treatment. Carter’s been quiet in the last many 2018 mixes. Especially his snare could use a boost. I watched a #41 Tour Warmup video, and his classic cymbal hits in the intro were barely audible because he was so low in the mix. The only post-2016 release where I can say his kit was actually mixed well is the Live at the Hollywood Bowl release. I’ve heard the Rhino’s Choice is good too, but I haven’t heard that.

Last edited by LaLaLaLaHey; 08-04-2020 at 09:37 AM.
    LaLaLaLaHey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2020, 09:50 AM   #220
    RushianSyrinx

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LaLaLaLaHey View Post
    I think Carter peaked between 2013 and 2016. So much energy, but he tamed it and applied it ingeniously into his fills and beats. He’s still my favorite drummer and I’d still consider him to be at the very top of the “best drummers in the world” list, but it’s quite obvious that he hit a bit of a decline starting in 2018 with The Night Before 2/3/18 performance. Since then, he’s been slowly improving and getting his game back on, and now he’s close to where he was in 2016 but not quite all the way there. For one, the energy in his playing seems to have decreased. He “overplays” less than he used to. But this is all expected with age too - I credit him for playing to the best of his abilities and doing what he can! He’s 61.
    Carter peaked between 2003-2007. That was the peak of his creativity, inventiveness and unique fusion elements. Look at how colorful and musical his playing was at that point. So many great musical conversations went on in the band. The Two Step jams with Butch? Incredible musicianship. Fantastic ideas.

Once 2008 hit and Timmy arrived, we got “bash and crash Carter - now with more double bass and China action!” The nuance left his playing, being substituted for more double bass and China cymbal reliance. He became more of a “heavy hitter” than a “painter of colors”. Two Step with Timmy is/was a tattered shell of the masterpiece it used to be. It’s that hot girl from high school who, when you come home ten years later, has 4 kids, a cigarette hanging from mouth and track marks all over.

Carter with Butch is peak Carter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Primitive things stir
    The hearts of everyone
    Old 08-04-2020, 09:53 AM   #221
    aparker507

My Tour Central Stats

I honestly don't think he cares much anymore. He usually shows up to the gig and does maybe a practice run with the backstage kit and plays the show. Immediately to the bus and off to the next gig. Nashville last year, he flew in to the arena late, and was on the plane home immediately after.

I think he literally mostly golfs and enjoys his time away from the stage nowadays. He's got nothing left to prove, is aging, and seems mostly disinterested anymore. Just my observation.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Old 08-04-2020, 10:39 AM   #222
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aparker507 View Post
    I honestly don't think he cares much anymore. He usually shows up to the gig and does maybe a practice run with the backstage kit and plays the show. Immediately to the bus and off to the next gig. Nashville last year, he flew in to the arena late, and was on the plane home immediately after.

I think he literally mostly golfs and enjoys his time away from the stage nowadays. He's got nothing left to prove, is aging, and seems mostly disinterested anymore. Just my observation.

So, just like the rest of the band then?

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2020, 10:42 AM   #223
    aparker507

My Tour Central Stats

He's still by far my favorite drummer of all time, and I am extremely grateful to be on stage every single year with Henry. That guy is the mastermind behind this kit.

I do miss the 15" crash in place of this new double splash stack though. Carter requested more splashes back in 15, so they removed that crash. That cymbal was such a normal, useful voice on this kit. Now his china's are basically crashes and he rarely even touches all these splashes. Puzzling, but it's what he wants I guess.

Henry sent me a picture last week of a new Acacia wood snare he's testing out for Carter.

Old 08-05-2020, 04:26 PM   #224
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    So, just like the rest of the band then?
    Not Jeff and Stefan or Tim imo
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2020, 04:57 PM   #225
    Matt83
    #11 (The Quirk)

My Tour Central Stats

https://youtu.be/4VcTigzWfeQ

https://youtu.be/7PFW4OnMRn0

https://youtu.be/ZJURCXwnBvM

https://youtu.be/8CLtqoDnHAA

While definitely not the same as July 2002 Carter (Odin's hammer in the form of a drummer), he's still got his flow and command, he's just older. Aren't we all?
    Old 08-05-2020, 04:58 PM   #226
    aparker507

My Tour Central Stats

He's still by far my favorite. Still by far the best to me.

Old 08-05-2020, 04:59 PM   #227
    Matt83
    #11 (The Quirk)

My Tour Central Stats

Fuck you Quick.
    🖕
    Old 08-05-2020, 05:00 PM   #228
    Matt83
    #11 (The Quirk)

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    Fuck you Quick.
    🖕

Wrong thread. Sorry ya'll. 😳
    Old 08-06-2020, 12:43 PM   #229
    Thomasjd2

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

That being said, I think his drum tone and mix has a huge factor in how we perceive his sound, and recently, I think he’s gotten a pretty bad mix treatment. Carter’s been quiet in the last many 2018 mixes. Especially his snare could use a boost. I watched a #41 Tour Warmup video, and his classic cymbal hits in the intro were barely audible because he was so low in the mix. The only post-2016 release where I can say his kit was actually mixed well is the Live at the Hollywood Bowl release. I’ve heard the Rhino’s Choice is good too, but I haven’t heard that.
    Would like to aggressively second this pov. Especially as it relates to the noticeable drop upon return from the 2017 off year and the very noticeable bounce back that has gradually happened since. And then the snare. I don't know what's up with the snare and it was better in '19 than '18 but something is still a tad off there. I'm no drummer or drum tech but it almost sounds flat?
    Thomasjd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-06-2020, 12:47 PM   #230
    aparker507

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomasjd2 View Post
    Would like to aggressively second this pov. Especially as it relates to the noticeable drop upon return from the 2017 off year and the very noticeable bounce back that has gradually happened since. And then the snare. I don't know what's up with the snare and it was better in '19 than '18 but something is still a tad off there. I'm no drummer or drum tech but it almost sounds flat?
    It's a rosewood snare. Not huge deal, but actually one I located for Henry and they ended up buying.

It doesn't have the old Crack of his metal snares back in the day. I absolutely love the thing, but lots have commented on that snare.

Old 08-06-2020, 01:01 PM   #231
    LaLaLaLaHey

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aparker507 View Post
    It's a rosewood snare. Not huge deal, but actually one I located for Henry and they ended up buying.

It doesn't have the old Crack of his metal snares back in the day. I absolutely love the thing, but lots have commented on that snare.

After hearing you mention this previously, I've come to realize that I really like the tone that snare gives. The way it's mixed, on the other hand, ruins it. It's always too quiet in the mix. It's like they kept the same mix settings they'd use back when he had that metal snare and didn't bother to adjust it.
    Old 08-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #232
    aparker507

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    After hearing you mention this previously, I've come to realize that I really like the tone that snare gives. The way it's mixed, on the other hand, ruins it. It's always too quiet in the mix. It's like they kept the same mix settings they'd use back when he had that metal snare and didn't bother to adjust it.
    Their mixes are definitely all over the place. Some are great for Carter, others are like what in the world???

Old 08-06-2020, 06:00 PM   #233
    Matt83
    #11 (The Quirk)

My Tour Central Stats

Carter should try this snare: https://www.sjcdrums.com/products/goliath

Old 08-06-2020, 06:02 PM   #234
    aparker507

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    Carter should try this snare: https://www.sjcdrums.com/products/goliath

Back in 13, he was using a Pork Pie bell brass during the encores. After 14 he went to wood. 2012, he used the rosewood half of the tour. I honestly don't think he even cares what he uses now, or sometimes even knows.

Henry pretty much, for the most part, runs the kit. Carter will make requests here and there.

I guess after using metal their entire career, they were ready to go with a less harsh sound for a while.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:38 PM   #235
    Thomasjd2

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

This is all so interesting and has been a curiosity of mine for years now so thank you. Didn't think I was one response away from all these answers.
    Thomasjd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-07-2020, 08:45 PM   #236
    TypicalBilly14

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

On the day Jerry Garcia passed away:

I went down to our office in San Rafael. Phil and Bob were there, and [Robert] Hunter, Vince [Welnick], and [publicist] Dennis McNally. People in the office were crying. We hugged and then we went our separate ways. I was a wreck. Carter Beauford [of the Dave Matthews Band] was setting up drums in my home studio for some overdubs for an album I was doing. Carter played the session, and I didn’t want him to go home. I knew I had to be around music with other people. That was the day. It was beyond belief.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-dead-1040237/
    TypicalBilly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-09-2020, 07:15 AM   #237
    aparker507

My Tour Central Stats

Henry sent me a picture of the new right side he's doing for Carter. He swapped the 2nd 6/8 splash stack out for an 8" A Flash splash over a 10" I Splash.

The 10" A inverted splash for a mini China is now the 14" K mini China again with an 8" Spiral stacker on top. They've got the mini China regular side up as well.

Very interesting for sure. I tried it for a while, but went back to the small crash instead of the 2 splash stacks. Just can not get used to that setup for the cb replica. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...19dc9ac996.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...5f6505969b.jpg