*** Official St. Paul ("The Night Before") 2/3/18 Thread *** - Page 29 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-07-2018, 11:13 AM   #841
fossil
fossil

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Re: *** Official St. Paul ("The Night Before") 2/3/18 Thread ***

Not surprising there was no new song played. Do You Remember has mostly been Dave solo i believe. They probably have not got all the "parts" worked in or worked out if you know what i mean. Probably true for most of the upcoming songs on the "new" album. I think this being a SB concert was why they stuck to 97% classics that the general venue would know. That being said, 40th show for me and i still loved the set list. Like i wrote above, 3-4 songs we havent heard in quite some time were played and were great to hear. I thought Watchtower was going to be played as well. It would have been a good spot for it. I think Nancies and Billies will be hard to play without Boyd. Im an older school fan like most and would love to see LIOG get played a few times like it was way back with the sax solo. Dont stress, Everything is going to be alright.
fossil is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #842
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    ah the old you weren't there so your opinion can't be right argument. good times.

guess i can't offer an opinion on 12.3.98 since i wasn't there, even if the opinion falls within the majority consensus.
    You can have an opinion, but don't be surprised if it differs from the opinions of the people who were there.

Honestly, I wish the old Nancie.org board was still up because you could go back and read the reviews of the people who were at the December '98 shows. I remember doing that back in the early 2000's and it was pretty funny because most of the people that saw shows on that tour complained about how predictable the sets were and how they were too heavy on BTCS material. I'm serious. So yeah, the opinions of people who were there are different than the people just looking at the setlist or listening to the show at home later on.
    Benny003 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-07-2018, 02:42 PM   #843
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    ah the old you weren't there so your opinion can't be right argument. good times.

guess i can't offer an opinion on 12.3.98 since i wasn't there, even if the opinion falls within the majority consensus.
    Actually, I found it on the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20001119...iews/1998.html

Most of the reviews are actually positive, but there are definitely people who also complained about those 98 shows.
    Old 02-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #844
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    Actually, I found it on the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20001119...iews/1998.html

Most of the reviews are actually positive, but there are definitely people who also complained about those 98 shows.

Quote:
    commercial Dave show set out to satisfy the frat boys and the 12 year old girls. The crowd was ridiculous, 40,000 people trying to get as close to Dave as possible. I got pushed or run over about 5 times. The music was more like background music in a party. For myself, someone trying to catch as many shows a summer as possible, this was very disappointing. The setlist was boring, except for the AMAZING #36, a great Jimi Thing, and Say Goodbye. I felt sorry for my friends that I dragged there after I saw Saratoga last weekend and was telling them how awesome they were. On a final note, the venue is the worst venue that I have ever seen. Not anyone past the first 10 rows could see anything. Talk about being ripped off... $35. Hopefully this will lead to a comeback performance in Pittsburgh tomorrow night. I will see you there!!
    yikes

this was for the 8/2/98 Vernon Downs show.

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-07-2018, 03:25 PM   #845
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

*** Official St. Paul ("The Night Before") 2/3/18 Thread ***

You're proving my point. There's always going to be a differing opinion. To comment on it and make such a divide is so dumb.

Don't turn it into a I was there/you weren't there and vice Versa debate.

Doesn't mean you can't have fun at a show. Doesn't mean the band can't sound different. Doesn't mean you can or can't enjoy the new differences. But to draw it as such an immature scenario as such is dumb.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.

Last edited by cry_minarets458; 02-07-2018 at 03:26 PM.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #846
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You're proving my point. There's always going to be a differing opinion. To comment on it and make such a divide is so dumb.

Don't turn it into a I was there/you weren't there and vice Versa debate.

Doesn't mean you can't have fun at a show. Doesn't mean the band can't sound different. Doesn't mean you can or can't enjoy the new differences. But to draw it as such an immature scenario as such is dumb.
    Who said your opinion couldn't be right if you weren't there? You can have an opinion if you weren't there. However, I probably will be more stock in someone's opinion who was there. Just my personal preference.
    Old 02-09-2018, 06:13 AM   #847
    bobtailor

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

hey y'all. first time caller, long time listener. how bout some break free and jtr? im sure there are haters on break free but its a quality boydless relatively post 2000 song and jtr is jtr.
    bobtailor is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-10-2018, 06:27 AM   #848
    home0006

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I see the sound of the band being more like a Dave and Tim show with the band backing them up based on what we heard. Even for songs that seemingly “need” Boyd like Tripping Billies Dave and Tim make them work in their shows so I expect the same structure they have just now translated with the remaining band members now.

As far River’s Edge being a bad show a few pages back, considering it was a full show in a weekend festival I thought it was a great show. Big eyed fish was a great surprise and the Jimi Thing with the Ghostbusters horn part were highlights for me. The band even felt so strongly about the Time Bomb->Two Step they included it on the 2012 summer tour sampler album. The biggest letdown for me was the Fall 2001 tour opener at the Target Center. That to me sounded as if they were going through the motions to get to Chicago for the next 2 shows.
    home0006 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-11-2018, 11:00 PM   #849
    thankyou

My Tour Central Stats

currently seeding in the torrent section. please grab if you want to enjoy the audio
    thankyou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #850
    Kidney Kleaner
    Menefreghista

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Just putting my two cents in, but personally I feel they should reach out to Amanda Shaw to possibly replace Boyd Tinsley. She is our favorite Cajun fiddler down here in the South. Check her out and let me know what you think:

amandashaw.com
    Kidney Kleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-13-2018, 03:34 AM   #851
    garagebrothers

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kidney Kleaner View Post
    Just putting my two cents in, but personally I feel they should reach out to Amanda Shaw to possibly replace Boyd Tinsley. She is our favorite Cajun fiddler down here in the South. Check her out and let me know what you think:

amandashaw.com
    Never heard of her, but good call, she seems like she could be a great fit and bring alot of enthusiasm to the music.
    garagebrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-13-2018, 06:55 PM   #852
    billysmart1999

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Listening to Carter play on the tape of this show is truly sad. You can tell by his playing that he 100% felt that the band should not have went on that night. Listen to literally any song from the night before show and compare it to a version from as recent as 2016 and you will be shocked by how differently Carter plays the songs. He just doesn't add that extra Carter flair for this show, and I'd say that's perfectly understandable. Some pretty apparent examples of this are Samurai Cop, Why I Am, Grey Street, and Time Bomb.
    billysmart1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #853
    ryguy637
    Ryan

Shows Seen: 69

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by billysmart1999 View Post
    Listening to Carter play on the tape of this show is truly sad. You can tell by his playing that he 100% felt that the band should not have went on that night. Listen to literally any song from the night before show and compare it to a version from as recent as 2016 and you will be shocked by how differently Carter plays the songs. He just doesn't add that extra Carter flair for this show, and I'd say that's perfectly understandable. Some pretty apparent examples of this are Samurai Cop, Why I Am, Grey Street, and Time Bomb.
    I would add Ants to that too. The peak at the end of the song it sounds (and looks) like he doesn’t even care.
    ryguy637 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-16-2018, 09:38 PM   #854
    thankyou

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by billysmart1999 View Post
    I'm listening to S. Cop now , around the 2:50 mark he seems to be jamming pretty well
    Old 02-16-2018, 09:41 PM   #855
    thankyou

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stlguy11501 View Post
    This was my 40th show since 2001. I would consider myself a diehard fan. My two cents, I enjoy every single show they play, regardless of the set list. The whole day of a show is when the experience begins. Traveling to a new city, meeting new people who also enjoy the band for what they are. I truly can't understand the disappointment some people have. If you're like me, you've seen, heard most of their songs by now. Stop expecting some set that's NEVER been played ANYWHERE! Just enjoy the band that got you hooked in the first place and be glad they're even still together playing for you. What they are doing is rare. Someday it will not be here and you'll be begging to hear a "shit set". Rant over.
    well said