Black Friday Record Store Day 2018: Prism '93 and C'Ville '94 - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > Live Releases
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 11-04-2018, 06:33 AM   #121
BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Black Friday Record Store Day 2018: Prism '93 and C'Ville '94

Updated ISO List for BFRSD 2018:

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.

Unless specified, assume that all on the list are seeking both releases & the free 7" of Again and Again b/w She. I will make a note next to a name if they only are after 1 release, or if they have stated a preference for one over the other.

I'm doing my best to keep up with the list but please let me know if I've missed anyone

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-04-2018, 06:35 AM   #122
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    With that low press count, I have a feeling I’m gonna end up on eBay for these.

I imagine each one will be around $200-250 each. The 7” probably $50-$100
    My guess is that initially they'll spike to $200, but they should bounce around at the $100-$150 mark if there is ineed a black pressing down the road. The 7" will end up around $50 I think. I can't see that fetching much more. It's two meh songs from the latest album. I don't know how much widespread love that will draw outside of the rarity factor.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:47 AM   #123
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F302945293473
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-07-2018, 11:18 AM   #124
    nerrfhearder

Shows Seen: 79

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Please add me to the list for both. Will try my luck as always but my store usually only gets one if any.
    nerrfhearder is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-09-2018, 03:41 AM   #125
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Updated ISO List for BFRSD 2018:

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.

Unless specified, assume that all on the list are seeking both releases & the free 7" of Again and Again b/w She. I will make a note next to a name if they only are after 1 release, or if they have stated a preference for one over the other.

I'm doing my best to keep up with the list but please let me know if I've missed anyone

Old 11-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #126
    DEMITRI

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone know any shops in Chicago/NW suburbs that would get this? Rolling Stones isn’t getting it apparently and only really got into vinyl two years ago so I’m not super familiar with a lot of other shops.
    DEMITRI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2018, 02:40 PM   #127
    cjavors

Shows Seen: 59

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DEMITRI View Post
    Anyone know any shops in Chicago/NW suburbs that would get this? Rolling Stones isn’t getting it apparently and only really got into vinyl two years ago so I’m not super familiar with a lot of other shops.
    Shuga records and Reckless Records will have it.
    cjavors is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2018, 06:33 AM   #128
    rhizingbines

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    I don't blame them one bit. I'm ready for RSD to be put to an end.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by but1well View Post
    Really? why?
    Quote:
    It floods the pressing plants with a lot of junk that gets priority. The day was initially meant to support local record stores, but more than ever it's just a cash grab for the major labels. Many stores have to take on debt just to buy-in for the releases; which they don't know what their allotment will be until the order arrives. And when they get stuck holding many copies of lame releases and get screwed out of getting the hot ticket ones, it becomes a dicey situation.

From a collectors perspective, it drives up price on otherwise low-value records that are usually not well mastered or pressed; and it often results in the good stuff ending up in the hands of flippers.

I liked the idea of it, but execution has never been perfect and it seems to get worse each year.
    This is such a ridiculous post. As the beer sponsor for RSD, I work very closely with record stores across the southeast organizing RSD events. Don’t get me wrong, there are bad business owners out there who invest their dollars too heavily but the vast majority of record stores I deal with see RSD as the single most important day of the year. We’ve been planning events at some since June of this year. A bad record store day can mean a bad year for most.

Record Store Day does exactly what it aims to do - bring business to independent record stores. It’s not entirely about the releases and for many it’s not about the releases at all. It’s about supporting the shops themselves no matter what you’re purchasing.

Now, if you’re referring to BFRSD then you’re right that more stores are starting to pull away from it. But April RSD? Please.

I think I’m allowed to finally say publicly that Dead & Company will be very heavily involved in the promotion of RSD in 2019 and it will drive a ton of business to otherwise struggling shops.

Quote:
    Since there's only 1,000, I imagine some of us will be ending up buying on eBay. I imagine I'll be having to pay $200 for each of these releases. With only 1000 out there I doubt that many extras will be able to be purchased.
    This.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BustedAdam View Post
    Every record store day one of you posts about this awesome shop in Florida that ships and I have been able to get both RR and Luther from them by calling in the afternoon after their crowds die down. I cannot for the life of me remember their name though. Anyone have any clue what store I'm talking about? Might be worth compiling a list of stores that we know ship.
    See below

Quote:
    If you have stores that will hold one for you, don't post it

My store used to hold things for us regular customers and they got in big trouble with RSD a few years back and had to stop doing it.
    rhizingbines is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2018, 07:11 AM   #129
    DEMITRI

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cjavors View Post
    Shuga records and Reckless Records will have it.
    Cool thanks
    DEMITRI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2018, 08:10 AM   #130
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhizingbines View Post
    This is such a ridiculous post. As the beer sponsor for RSD, I work very closely with record stores across the southeast organizing RSD events. Don’t get me wrong, there are bad business owners out there who invest their dollars too heavily but the vast majority of record stores I deal with see RSD as the single most important day of the year. We’ve been planning events at some since June of this year. A bad record store day can mean a bad year for most.

Record Store Day does exactly what it aims to do - bring business to independent record stores. It’s not entirely about the releases and for many it’s not about the releases at all. It’s about supporting the shops themselves no matter what you’re purchasing.

Now, if you’re referring to BFRSD then you’re right that more stores are starting to pull away from it. But April RSD? Please.

I think I’m allowed to finally say publicly that Dead & Company will be very heavily involved in the promotion of RSD in 2019 and it will drive a ton of business to otherwise struggling shops.
    But it isn't ridiculous because it's mostly true. Yes, some stores do great. But RSD neglects so many small stores and cities, the titles are extremely low profit, and fufillment is such a gamble.

None of your post addressed any of the other criticisms either. Pressing plant capacity, manufactured rarity, and flippers are all huge issues.

The idea of RSD was great, but it's just not well executed. As others noted, there's many stores that have dropped out or actively promote against RSD. If the day was as great as you want to paint it, that wouldn't be the case.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:12 AM   #131
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Also, FWIW, the post asking about stores that ship and Chad saying to not post stores that will hold a copy are 2 different things.

Holding a title for a person is against RSD rules and that store could get blacklisted if they aren't careful. But shipping RSD titles after the day of is completely fine and many places do that (Bullmoose is one of the bigger ones).

Old 11-16-2018, 09:07 AM   #132
    rhizingbines

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    But it isn't ridiculous because it's mostly true. Yes, some stores do great. But RSD neglects so many small stores and cities, the titles are extremely low profit, and fufillment is such a gamble.

None of your post addressed any of the other criticisms either. Pressing plant capacity, manufactured rarity, and flippers are all huge issues.

The idea of RSD was great, but it's just not well executed. As others noted, there's many stores that have dropped out or actively promote against RSD. If the day was as great as you want to paint it, that wouldn't be the case.
    Well what you don’t seem to realize is that isn’t the case. At all. Even the smallest record stores that I deal with get excited about RSD - even if they aren’t buying RSD releases. I actually find that smaller record stores are more receptive to RSD promotions and parties than some of the larger shops.

There are thrift stores that happen to sell records that have opted not to participate in RSD but as far as actual record stores go - I’ve encountered maybe two who have opted to not participate in the program in the five years we’ve been supporting it. Those stores have been in rural areas and catered to a much older demographic. I have yet to encounter a record store in the SE that “actively promotes against it”.

There aren’t many topics I can comment on with as much certainty as I have this one but please understand that this is what I do for a living. What you’re claiming is so far from reality that it’s almost laughable.

Also, I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make regarding pressing plants or rarity of items which is why I didn’t address it. That has no impact on the massive boost in business that record stores see as a result of a single day.

Quote:
    Also, FWIW, the post asking about stores that ship and Chad saying to not post stores that will hold a copy are 2 different things.

Holding a title for a person is against RSD rules and that store could get blacklisted if they aren't careful. But shipping RSD titles after the day of is completely fine and many places do that (Bullmoose is one of the bigger ones).
    Old 11-16-2018, 09:41 AM   #133
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well what you don’t seem to realize is that isn’t the case. At all. Even the smallest record stores that I deal with get excited about RSD - even if they aren’t buying RSD releases. I actually find that smaller record stores are more receptive to RSD promotions and parties than some of the larger shops.

There are thrift stores that happen to sell records that have opted not to participate in RSD but as far as actual record stores go - I’ve encountered maybe two who have opted to not participate in the program in the five years we’ve been supporting it. Those stores have been in rural areas and catered to a much older demographic. I have yet to encounter a record store in the SE that “actively promotes against it”.

There aren’t many topics I can comment on with as much certainty as I have this one but please understand that this is what I do for a living. What you’re claiming is so far from reality that it’s almost laughable.
    There were 2 posts on the last page explaining exactly what I said:

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showp...&postcount=104

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showp...&postcount=105

There's been a lot written about why RSD isn't all it is cracked up to be for many stores:

http://www.factmag.com/2015/04/14/re...m-or-solution/

http://thequietus.com/articles/19946...eissues-bleugh

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...ord-shop-drift

I'm not saying this as just my own opinion. It's one that's shared by a ton of people. It's great that your tangential relationship with the event has been beneficial, and that you have personal experiences with the event day. But that doesn't mean that it's universally loved.

Quote:
    I think you need to go back and read it, you're missing what was said. Shipping excess titles after event day is 100% permitted and often is helpful to those who missed out. Again, Bullmoose does a great job at this.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #134
    rhizingbines

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

There's been a lot written about why RSD isn't all it is cracked up to be for many stores:

I'm not saying this as just my own opinion. It's one that's shared by a ton of people. It's great that your tangential relationship with the event has been beneficial, and that you have personal experiences with the event day. But that doesn't mean that it's universally loved.
    Those three articles are talking about complaints from record labels - not record stores. Retail record outlets are intended to be the main beneficiary of Record STORE Day and they are.

If you’re arguing that it puts an unnecessary burden on record labels, then you’re probably correct. Your articles support that. But what you’re arguing is that record stores are against RSD. I’m sure there are exceptions but that statement is almost entirely false. As one of your articles states, RSD and Christmas are the two biggest profit generators for independent record stores.

Quote:
    I think you need to go back and read it, you're missing what was said. Shipping excess titles after event day is 100% permitted and often is helpful to those who missed out. Again, Bullmoose does a great job at this.
    You’re reaching to prove a point here...
    Old 11-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #135
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Those three articles are talking about complaints from record labels - not record stores.
    So...you didn't read those articles I guess. The second is written by a shop owner, the 3rd is about record stores.

Quote:
    You’re reaching to prove a point here...
    I'm curious what you think that discussion was about, and how I'm reaching?

Old 11-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #136
    jbombs16

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Any thoughts on if these releases will be followed by black vinyl releases through the Warehouse? Where the previous RSD releases "RSD exclusive" or "RSD first releases" ?
    jbombs16 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2018, 01:45 PM   #137
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

I'd certainly hope they do. But you never know with this band. Getting it right in the past doesn't mean they will in the future.

Also, got to see these releases in person. They sound great! It does not look like the 7" will be hard to find at all. So that's at least good.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #138
    jbombs16

Shows Seen: 53

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'd certainly hope they do. But you never know with this band. Getting it right in the past doesn't mean they will in the future.

Also, got to see these releases in person. They sound great! It does not look like the 7" will be hard to find at all. So that's at least good.
    I hope so too. Just unsure given the "limited Run" category for these RSD releases. If the previous Live trax RSD were "RSD exclusive," I would be more optimistic that these will be released on black. I just cannot remember their classifications.
    jbombs16 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2018, 01:57 PM   #139
    rhizingbines

My Tour Central Stats

So the record store near me is by far the largest in Florida. They just got their shipment and they only got 1 copy of each of these releases. They tried to order much more than that. The second biggest store in Florida (and biggest in Miami) got none.
    Old 11-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #140
    elipack

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Im just stoked they are only going to cost 50$!!!!!!
    elipack is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2018, 10:03 PM   #141
    ioread

Shows Seen: 50

My Tour Central Stats

I spoke with my local record store today and they said there was some production issues so if there are any out there they will be scarce. This really bums me out sense it just allows the flippers to make more money, Good luck everyone.
    ioread is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2018, 10:25 PM   #142
    MR_ESTEVEZ
    Fan since June 1995

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So the record store near me is by far the largest in Florida. They just got their shipment and they only got 1 copy of each of these releases. They tried to order much more than that. The second biggest store in Florida (and biggest in Miami) got none.
    Sweat Records?
    MR_ESTEVEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-19-2018, 06:13 AM   #143
    jwrice5

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elipack View Post
    Is this true?
    jwrice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-19-2018, 06:24 AM   #144
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwrice5 View Post
    Is this true?
    More or less. Some stores will be $50, some may be as high as $60ish

Bullmoose has theirs marked at $47.97

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/28166403...ck-friday-2018

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/28166402...ck-friday-2018

Old 11-19-2018, 07:09 AM   #145
    bballman720

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

If you read the Bull Moose description, it hints that there will be a black release.

"LIMITED EDITION (1000 COPIES) 4 X WHITE VINYL BOX SET PLUS DMB Again and Again¯ b/w She 7"¯ added value with purchase Archival release for the first time on vinyl."
    bballman720 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-19-2018, 07:11 AM   #146
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

This is a good one too - https://www.economist.com/prospero/2...cord-store-day

Buffalo's largest stores, Record Theater, loved the event 8 years ago but said it quickly lost its lustre for the same reasons. Sadly both stores are closed now.

Almost all independent record stores in Canada that don't have "Sunrise" in their name, loathe RSD. Huge conflict of interests with Sunrise here on how the event is run.
    Old 11-19-2018, 07:12 AM   #147
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elipack View Post
    Probably tells us all we need to know about where they're being pressed.
    Old 11-19-2018, 07:25 AM   #148
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Probably tells us all we need to know about where they're being pressed.
    They're pressed at MRP, I believe.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #149
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    This is a good one too - https://www.economist.com/prospero/2...cord-store-day

Buffalo's largest stores, Record Theater, loved the event 8 years ago but said it quickly lost its lustre for the same reasons. Sadly both stores are closed now.

Almost all independent record stores in Canada that don't have "Sunrise" in their name, loathe RSD. Huge conflict of interests with Sunrise here on how the event is run.

Sucked when Record Theater closed. They were one of the best. I used to visit their Rochester shop when it was open.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:57 AM   #150
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They're pressed at MRP, I believe.
    Probably plated by GZ then, wonder if they also use GZ's very sensitive-to-handling compound. Not fond of GZ at all.

I've read Sony press a lot of records there, but Sony is the worst major label for vinyl...rarely ever taking the care necessary and quite content to just send aggressive digital masterings out for press.