Has Sweet Up and Down been forgotten? - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-29-2014, 08:40 PM   #61
lockman21
Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Has Sweet Up and Down been forgotten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twostep03 View Post
No, because Granny is a good song. Sweet Up and Down isn't that good of a song song. That's why people forget about it (hence the thread title).

People complain about Halloween and how it's not rare anymore. Halloween isn't a very good song either. It was sought after because of it's rarity. I'm not saying either song is bad. I like SUAD (not so much Halloween though), but musically it's very basic and boring, and it's pretty weak lyrically (even though it doesn't really have set lyrics). There's really nothing special about it other than the fact it's not played
This might be the worst post in the history of this website.

And that's sayin somethin, coming from a guy who has a lot of really shitty ones.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-29-2014, 08:53 PM   #62
    yankeesguy86

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Sweet Up and Down is a fun song, really glad I saw it in 03 (D&F), 07 (twice) and 10 (Deer Creek N2).

That being said, as the years have went on, its appeal to me has faded a little bit. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to hear it again. But it's really more of a fun jam than a "good song". If Boyd could consistently tear it up, then it'd be something to see (LT 16 is a good example of this, Boyd is on point throughout).

I remember being so bummed when the Busted Stuff tracklist came out and SUAD and JTR weren't on it (wasn't into Monkey Man at that point). In hindsight, the only song of those three I can say for certain SHOULD have been on that album was JTR. I somewhat understand why both SUAD and Monkey Man didn't make it; as good as each of those are, they have an unfinished quality.
    02 12/14 03 7/3 04 6/18; 8/7 05 6/2,13; 7/23,24; 11/30 06 5/30; 6/2,3; 7/1,2; 9/15 07 7/8; 8/17,18,25,26 08 8/9, 10 09 7/18,19; 8/1 10 6/16,18,19; 7/3,4; 9/17,18 11 7/8,9,10 12 6/22; 7/6,7 13 6/21, 22; 7/5,6 14 6/20,21; 7/4,5 15 7/15,17,18,25,26,31; 8/1
    yankeesguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-29-2014, 08:56 PM   #63
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No, because Granny is a good song. Sweet Up and Down isn't that good of a song song. That's why people forget about it (hence the thread title).

People complain about Halloween and how it's not rare anymore.
    Halloween isn't a very good song either. It was sought after because of it's rarity. I'm not saying either song is bad. I like SUAD (not so much Halloween though), but musically it's very basic and boring, and it's pretty weak lyrically (even though it doesn't really have set lyrics). There's really nothing special about it other than the fact it's not played
    This never happens. Stop grasping for straws
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #64
    LAA1305

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

People complain about Halloween and how it's not rare anymore. Halloween isn't a very good song either. It was sought after because of it's rarity. I'm not saying either song is bad. I like SUAD (not so much Halloween though), but musically it's very basic and boring, and it's pretty weak lyrically (even though it doesn't really have set lyrics). There's really nothing special about it other than the fact it's not played
    Proof of this? Even one example?

This gets thrown around in here quite a bit by people who want to bash the setlist bashers, yet I've honestly never seen a complaint about it. I've seen people making clearly sarcastic jokes about it losing its mystique and whatnot, but the only people who say things like the bolded are people that want to criticize those who criticize song selection.

In other words, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul
    LAA1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2014, 06:51 AM   #65
    twostep03

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    This never happens. Stop grasping for straws
    See below for all of the times this happens

Quote:
    Originally Posted by keithcoldroses View Post
    I got Halloween at my first show

Also, that was when it was still cool to see Halloween, like when it was still really rare and shit.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb217 View Post
    Absolutely this. Halloween is my top 1 song, and I first heard it at MSG '05, when it was truly rare. At that point in my fandom, I thought I would never hear it live. Then last year I got it at 3 of my 4 shows (Camden N2 and both nights at Alpine).

I will take Halloween every show I go to, but I agree that the "luster" of seeing is completely gone, at least from what it was from '00-'08ish. I absolutely lost my s*** Alpine '08 when we got it, and we all knew it was coming! (Thanks to Riverbend for getting that ball rolling, btw)

To respond to the OP, the closest either Spoon or LS will come to regular rotation is being played just enough for a vocal minority to bitch about them being played at all.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by socccerr8 View Post
    Ya then people will complain that they're playing those songs too much. I remember hearing how rare and exciting it was to hear halloween. Now people complain that its being overplaying and losing its rarity factor.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jjr4884 View Post
    I'm still sick of halloween after the 2011 and 2012 tour... give me last stop all day long. the song itself is good, but the outro is what i love about that song.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TMoore4075 View Post
    Last Stop. Both cause it's a better song musically and because I haven't seen it in 11 years. Halloween I've seen twice in 5 years so...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John_Blutarsky View Post
    Trying to figure out why? its not like last stop doesn't have a lot of emotion and passion from dave and the rest of the band... especially these days halloween has been overplayed and isn't the same
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theyesthman View Post
    seen enough halloweens now that the oh shit factor is gone...seems like it's always sloppy to me
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrahmaBull View Post
    Never fully liked it. The rarity of it made it cool, but now it's not even rare. Better songs which most people put in the same category:

Last Stop
    Spoon
    Shotgun

Last Stop is the epitome of this band's sound/style and it's a shame it rarely gets played.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LieInHrgraves41 View Post
    Anyone else over Halloween?

Unless it's the double encore of course.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arby View Post
    Glad Im not the only one who thinks overplaying rarities is a terrible idea. Its like...hello! If you play Halloween all the time guess what? Its not rare anymore
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
    If all those songs had 15-20 plays, there would be no reason to go to more than 2 shows a year. Chasing songs is part of the DMB experience. Look at how Halloween went from revered rarity to overplayed with...13 plays this year. Recently will come back. So will Last Stop. And it will give us all an excitement about our next show when they do. Maybe your next show will be the show one of those songs come back. That wouldn't happen if they played all these songs all the time.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freddy35 View Post
    Probably halloween...uhhh enough already.

I'm not saying I agree with this sentiment. I'm not a song chaser. I like songs because they are good, and rarity has little to do with it. That's why I don't really care for Halloween all that much. I just don't think it's a good song. I was probably the only person at Alpine last year who thought it was stupid they played it both nights.

My point is that there are many people who only like songs because they are rare. Once the rarity is gone, they don't care for the song anymore. Everyone who called my post dumb or whatever was probably under the impression that I felt that way about songs. That's not the case. I was just pointing out that OTHER PEOPLE feel that way, and I think that's why certain songs (like SUAD) are overrated by fans.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jordan#41 View Post
    Dave Matthews has the worst taste in Dave Matthews Band music.
    twostep03 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2014, 07:03 AM   #66
    twostep03

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yankeesguy86 View Post
    Sweet Up and Down is a fun song, really glad I saw it in 03 (D&F), 07 (twice) and 10 (Deer Creek N2).

That being said, as the years have went on, its appeal to me has faded a little bit. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to hear it again. But it's really more of a fun jam than a "good song". If Boyd could consistently tear it up, then it'd be something to see (LT 16 is a good example of this, Boyd is on point throughout).

I remember being so bummed when the Busted Stuff tracklist came out and SUAD and JTR weren't on it (wasn't into Monkey Man at that point). In hindsight, the only song of those three I can say for certain SHOULD have been on that album was JTR. I somewhat understand why both SUAD and Monkey Man didn't make it; as good as each of those are, they have an unfinished quality.
    This guy gets it. As I've said a few times, I like SUAD. It's fun and I'd enjoy hearing it a shows (I did catch it once at Deer Creek in 2010). But I'm not gonna sit here and say it's a fantastic song when it's not.

Quote:
    Old 07-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #67
    LAA1305

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    See below for all of the times this happens

Most of the people you quoted said things like "I'd still take Halloween at every show," they just pointed out that it's more likely to happen now, so they spend their time "chasing" songs like Last Stop instead of Halloween

The only people that really said they no longer want to see it are people who prefaced it by saying they never really loved the song to begin with, they just thought it was interesting to see it pop up since it was rare.

I don't think you'll find anyone who really likes Halloween that no longer wants to see it just because it's been played more than usual the past few years.
    LAA1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #68
    twostep03

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LAA1305 View Post
    Most of the people you quoted said things like "I'd still take Halloween at every show," they just pointed out that it's more likely to happen now, so they spend their time "chasing" songs like Last Stop instead of Halloween

The only people that really said they no longer want to see it are people who prefaced it by saying they never really loved the song to begin with, they just thought it was interesting to see it pop up since it was rare.

I don't think you'll find anyone who really likes Halloween that no longer wants to see it just because it's been played more than usual the past few years.
    Only one person said the bolded. And you're still missing the point. People wanted to hear it because of its rarity. It was a once in a lifetime experience to hear Halloween at a show. Now it isn't and people realize that it's not that great. Maybe they still like it and like hearing it a shows, but it's not the same. It used to be a very overrated song, but now that everyone and their mother has heard it live several times, people are tired of it. And I'm not saying everyone feels this way, I'm just using it as an example to show that rarity causes a lot of songs to be overrated. SUAD happens to be one of them

Quote:
    Old 12-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #69
    bowa36

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

So...will 2015 be the year for this one to return? Listened to the LT16 version the other day..no reason they can't play this one instead of BBN or Corn Bread once in awhile.

Here's hoping to a solid return of this awesome song in 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odKvImq3TiY
    Old 12-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #70
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
    So...will 2015 be the year for this one to return? Listened to the LT16 version the other day..no reason they can't play this one instead of BBN or Corn Bread once in awhile.

07 Summer Sampler is my favorite one.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #71
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

always one of my favorites. so glad i caught it in 2010.
    Useliteski is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #72
    BTCS_JTR
    The Wilpon's are gone!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I used this song for a school project I did on DMB. Saw some heads bobbing to it, cool to see.
    BTCS_JTR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #73
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

What an incredible tune. This band really used to be something special.
    Old 12-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #74
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

love the Grey Street from that show too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w9YqY2lw1U
    Useliteski is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #75
    smb41

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZdhmRNkx-k

Great high-energy version.

This song needs to come back in 2015.
    smb41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #76
    VTftball2

My Tour Central Stats

I absolutely love how Nick always disappears when people prove him wrong.
    VTftball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #77
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

The SBD of the Soldier Field 06.30.00 version is the best I've heard. The end jam is on fire.
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2014, 04:25 AM   #78
    highlanders

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

summer tour sampler is my favorite... this song is just flat out awesome
    highlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2014, 06:40 AM   #79
    pattyman313

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Such a great song. Needs to be brought back.
    Old 12-08-2014, 09:38 AM   #80
    DMB41GUY

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

After reading this post... all of my hair fell out... my eyes turned blood red and I had three seizures at my desk at work... falling right out of my chair. A co-worker came over to help me up and said "You read that sweet up and down thread on ants didn't you? Halloween post? Same thing happened to me."
    DMB41GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #81
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Great song, and I'd be psyched to see it again, but the 2007 and 2010 versions aren't all that fantastic. The song loses something without Boyd's riff at the end and the sax solo that plays over that. The horn line they came up with in 2010 was cool, but not as great as the solos in 2000. I wouldn't say they butchered it like Grey Street, but it's definitely not as good as it was.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #82
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Maybe this year we get SUAD liberated. Let's hope!
    Old 01-13-2015, 04:39 PM   #83
    SpecialAgent007
    Annie ♥ ♥ ♥

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I heard it in the 2000s and I've always been a big fan of the song. Can't remember if I heard it in 2007 again. From what I remember, someone in the band didn't like the song. Carter perhaps?

7.5.2000 for DMBLive Release - Do it for the Chet!
    http://antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=194121
    SpecialAgent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2015, 04:43 PM   #84
    Seek#41Up

Shows Seen: 79

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Great song. Needs a lot more plays.
    Seek#41Up is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2015, 04:45 PM   #85
    jray1823

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Awesome song, was better with D&F though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBeIiEoqQsg
    jray1823 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2015, 05:23 PM   #86
    SpotlightEyes
    Life is so peachy

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jray1823 View Post
    Awesome song, was better with D&F though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBeIiEoqQsg
    Bleh.

NOT everything sounds better with a lead guitar filling every single moment.

That song is BIG with horns and strings, and needs legitimate room to breathe.
    Old 01-13-2015, 06:06 PM   #87
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

When SUAD made it's random return after a long hiatus in camden 07, I went apeshit crazy. Great moment.
    Old 01-13-2015, 06:13 PM   #88
    currupt3d**

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

2000 SUAD is the only iteration I listen to, not to say the 2007 versions are bad, one of which I witnessed.

Dave Matthews Band - Sweet Up And Down: http://youtu.be/zud2IUmTMic
    currupt3d** is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2015, 02:10 AM   #89
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post
    When SUAD made it's random return after a long hiatus in camden 07, I went apeshit crazy. Great moment.
    Oh man, my first SUAD at Alpine 07 was a great moment. Right after The Roots all guested on Eh Hee. Incredible night.
    Old 01-14-2015, 06:24 AM   #90
    excitingjae

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I couldn't believe they played it. You could really pick out the people in the crowd that were excited for it and those who had no idea what it was.