New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 204 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-17-2021, 06:52 AM   #6091
ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
You’re probably right. Bet next year the tour will start in April and will be an album tour.
Assuming they are dedicated letting this album see the light of day, this is my best guess too.
ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-17-2021, 06:56 AM   #6092
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    I don't really agree with the "they're a business, so they won't drop an album without a heavy promo tour" line of thinking

yeah, they like having something to promote, but it's not a matter of selling--I think they just like to have new stuff to play. they gave away the vast majority of come tomorrow's "sales." it's not a money-making thing for them (hence my disagreement with the "DMB is a business" argument specifically; I don't disagree with the thought that they like to tour to "support" a new album, which is really just their excuse for playing the shit out of one).
    ...yup...
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2021, 07:23 AM   #6093
    C.S.
    I lurk you long time...

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshg View Post
    Drivel. This conversation has occurred so many times. Ponderous. Dave can't go into a studio and produce a great album with brand new songs anymore. How many bad albums does he need to produce in order for you to understand that?
    Oh it's certainly a dead horse. I don't personally think any of the bands albums are straight up bad, even Stand Up. They just don't live up and ultimately make me think the answer is that they just don't care about making studio albums.
    C.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2021, 07:43 AM   #6094
    bubba40

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I think Walk Around The Moon is one of the strongest new songs the band has come up with in quite some time. Hopeful it gets the studio treatment (and that the flute solo stays!)
    bubba40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2021, 12:59 PM   #6095
    trippnbillies41

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bubba40 View Post
    I think Walk Around The Moon is one of the strongest new songs the band has come up with in quite some time. Hopeful it gets the studio treatment (and that the flute solo stays!)
    I think if produced right that end flute solo has potential to make this one of the best studio tracks since Busted Stuff.
    trippnbillies41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2021, 03:29 PM   #6096
    HonestDenver1

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

I honestly believe this album is getting scrapped at this point... I mean we have a total of 4 songs this entire tour thus far.. 1 of which is just solo acoustic that was played for an entire year before they hit the road... I would say the others aren't going over so well with crowd response.. Though we may like them after downloads and repeated listens.. your average concert attendee is taking a bathroom break the second they hear the opening to Ocean and the Butterfly...

They had ALL last fall 2020 and 5 months of 2021... That's about 8 months since we officially knew an album was in the works... It's been a full year now..
    If it comes out at all, it's going to be a repeat of Come Tomorrow in terms of mished mashed songs from different sessions.

I think Dave really tries to make himself accountable by announcing to everyone they are working in the studio and there are new songs, but it really sets up a scenario for the "overpromise and under deliver" for the fans each and every album release..

It's like telling someone dinner is almost ready at 5.. but you wait til 6 and there's no dinner and it looks like the oven isn't even on anymore.. You grab a snack around 630 to tide yourself over.. but then you just snack until 730.. still no dinner... The cook is MIA now.. You go out to fast food instead a bit frustrated there is no dinner...

You get home and dinner is non existent.. You'll have to wait until tomorrow..

But tomorrow the cook is out of town..

So wait until next week.. And they finally put together the ingredients they were going to use for last weeks' dinner... But some of them are stale and have lost their flavor.. Some are overcooked because the cook is now frustrated that YOU are frustrated that dinner is a week over due...

You eat it, but it's not that great.. but you tell the cook it is.. The cook knows it's not though.. you know its not.. And you seriously question the cooks ability to make decent food or deliver it to your mouth in a timely manner.. It might have totally been fine had the dinner been ready when the cook said dinner is on the way.. But when you have to wait that long for something.. there's no way it meets expectataions anymore..

The bar has been set too high for this album and waiting for months and months on end for it.. is already putting a negative taste in our mouths... Like it's already lost 1 of 5 stars just for making us wait... It cannot be in anyway shape or form worth waiting a year for at this point.. It's going to be 42 minutes at best and the longest song is going to be just under 5 min...

We'll have 13 tracks... 3 of which will be spelled BKKDDKKKDD part 1 part 2 part 3

4 of which we've already heard, leaving us with about 28 minutes of new music after waiting for a damn year and half...
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2021, 03:52 PM   #6097
    BigHappy
    creeping up heavy

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post
    I honestly believe this album is getting scrapped at this point... I mean we have a total of 4 songs this entire tour thus far.. 1 of which is just solo acoustic that was played for an entire year before they hit the road... I would say the others aren't going over so well with crowd response.. Though we may like them after downloads and repeated listens.. your average concert attendee is taking a bathroom break the second they hear the opening to Ocean and the Butterfly...

They had ALL last fall 2020 and 5 months of 2021... That's about 8 months since we officially knew an album was in the works... It's been a full year now..
    If it comes out at all, it's going to be a repeat of Come Tomorrow in terms of mished mashed songs from different sessions.

I think Dave really tries to make himself accountable by announcing to everyone they are working in the studio and there are new songs, but it really sets up a scenario for the "overpromise and under deliver" for the fans each and every album release..

It's like telling someone dinner is almost ready at 5.. but you wait til 6 and there's no dinner and it looks like the oven isn't even on anymore.. You grab a snack around 630 to tide yourself over.. but then you just snack until 730.. still no dinner... The cook is MIA now.. You go out to fast food instead a bit frustrated there is no dinner...

You get home and dinner is non existent.. You'll have to wait until tomorrow..

But tomorrow the cook is out of town..

So wait until next week.. And they finally put together the ingredients they were going to use for last weeks' dinner... But some of them are stale and have lost their flavor.. Some are overcooked because the cook is now frustrated that YOU are frustrated that dinner is a week over due...

You eat it, but it's not that great.. but you tell the cook it is.. The cook knows it's not though.. you know its not.. And you seriously question the cooks ability to make decent food or deliver it to your mouth in a timely manner.. It might have totally been fine had the dinner been ready when the cook said dinner is on the way.. But when you have to wait that long for something.. there's no way it meets expectataions anymore..

The bar has been set too high for this album and waiting for months and months on end for it.. is already putting a negative taste in our mouths... Like it's already lost 1 of 5 stars just for making us wait... It cannot be in anyway shape or form worth waiting a year for at this point.. It's going to be 42 minutes at best and the longest song is going to be just under 5 min...

We'll have 13 tracks... 3 of which will be spelled BKKDDKKKDD part 1 part 2 part 3

4 of which we've already heard, leaving us with about 28 minutes of new music after waiting for a damn year and half...
    ...wow....

Nailed it
    Old 09-19-2021, 05:22 AM   #6098
    Ccrules2791

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I love the guys, but as Bismarck comes up on my youtube playlist yet again from 2016, I'm driven mad by the fact that 1) they haven't played it live since that tour and 2) they never recorded it. IMHO it is the superior song of Samurai Cop, Again and Again and itself. Now I know how the "Idea of You" folk feel -- heck, they haven't played that much this year.

Does anyone get the rhyme and reason behind why certain amazing songs are just shelved? I've never heard Dave talk about setlist selection - but I feel like some of their songs with potential mainstream appeal or left on the chopping block. Bismarck is legit a DMB styled Paul Simon song and Idea of You has one of the top Dave sax solos out there.
    Ccrules2791 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-19-2021, 05:54 AM   #6099
    DMBCardinal

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Bismarck has been recorded though. Many were surprised it didn't make CT, and there is some talk about it potentially making the new album. My guess is that it is left off.
    DMBCardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-19-2021, 05:54 AM   #6100
    dmbongreyst

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ccrules2791 View Post
    I love the guys, but as Bismarck comes up on my youtube playlist yet again from 2016, I'm driven mad by the fact that 1) they haven't played it live since that tour and 2) they never recorded it. IMHO it is the superior song of Samurai Cop, Again and Again and itself. Now I know how the "Idea of You" folk feel -- heck, they haven't played that much this year.

Does anyone get the rhyme and reason behind why certain amazing songs are just shelved? I've never heard Dave talk about setlist selection - but I feel like some of their songs with potential mainstream appeal or left on the chopping block. Bismarck is legit a DMB styled Paul Simon song and Idea of You has one of the top Dave sax solos out there.
    They did record it. It was one of three songs that was performed by the orchestra that one of the members leaked a pic of the sheet music. The other two, Again and Again & Here on Out, were on Come Tomorrow.
    Old 09-19-2021, 07:08 AM   #6101
    Ccrules2791

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbongreyst View Post
    They did record it. It was one of three songs that was performed by the orchestra that one of the members leaked a pic of the sheet music. The other two, Again and Again & Here on Out, were on Come Tomorrow.
    Ah! I figured that. I meant moreso that it's been left out here hanging. I like A&A as much as most but I still felt like it had single/key song potential... any reasons why people think it won't make the next album? (If there is even one at this point...)
    Old 09-19-2021, 07:34 AM   #6102
    DMBCardinal

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ccrules2791 View Post
    Ah! I figured that. I meant moreso that it's been left out here hanging. I like A&A as much as most but I still felt like it had single/key song potential... any reasons why people think it won't make the next album? (If there is even one at this point...)
    It's all just speculation really. Some people in the know have said there is a chance, but as far as we know the tracklist hasn't been decided.

I'm not the biggest Bismarck fan around here, but I do hope it makes the album.
    Old 09-19-2021, 08:03 AM   #6103
    Tomacco

Shows Seen: 134

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Wonder if they’re cutting The Only Thing given it hasn’t been played in forever.
    Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-19-2021, 08:09 AM   #6104
    Aforauer

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
    Wonder if they’re cutting The Only Thing given it hasn’t been played in forever.

Hope not! My favorite of the new tunes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aforauer is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-19-2021, 08:14 AM   #6105
    Ccrules2791

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aforauer View Post
    Hope not! My favorite of the new tunes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Part of me wonders if it’s just cause Carter and Stefan went down for a bit. I’m honestly only confident on Walk Around the Moon and Windows making it lol
    Old 09-19-2021, 09:46 AM   #6106
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I think The Only Thing will show back up this week. I am surprised it wasn't in Irvine or SPAC but let's see how Holmdel and Wantagh go.
    Hahninator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2021, 12:34 PM   #6107
    arizza11

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Lumineers just announced an album due out in January. I know it doesn't mean much, but that just gave my hope of a new DMB album this year a major blow
    5 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPS
    arizza11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2021, 03:40 PM   #6108
    bibby1044

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bubba40 View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trippnbillies41 View Post
    I think if produced right that end flute solo has potential to make this one of the best studio tracks since Busted Stuff.
    Agree and agree. In a perfect world I think there’s room for some instrumentals in the verses to mash with the theme of the song that would take it next level but even as is it’s very very solid.
    bibby1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2021, 05:22 PM   #6109
    Dagwin

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bibby1044 View Post
    Agree and agree. In a perfect world I think there’s room for some instrumentals in the verses to mash with the theme of the song that would take it next level but even as is it’s very very solid.
    I understand most of you folks really enjoy Moonwalk, and I already voiced my disappointment in the tune. But I didn't elaborate on why I don't like it.

The drums. Plain & simple. I'm a drummer, and Carter is what brought me in as a fan back in 1997. Therefore, my main focus is always on Carter. And this is definitely a tune that could survive another round of Covid for Carter, because almost anyone with limited drumming skills could sit in on this one.

Compare it, for instance, to 'You Never Know." I was excited the first time I heard that tune, despite being upset about them scrapping the Lillywhite Sessions. When Busted Stuff came out, I was very impressed with that new tune at the time (actually, I was impressed when I first heard it live, which was before Busted Stuff dropped).

Mark Batson is a horrible influence on Carter. That's when his drumming took a back seat. That's what a 'Hip-Hop' sort of producer will do to the drums. As soon as I heard Dave say that Carter plays in a really "spare" way on Stand Up, I was thinking, "Uh oh!!! That doesn't sound good!" And how Batson just wants you to "turn it up loud!" That was another scary moment.

So bottom line, Moonwalker has that same kind of basic drum feel that I have no interest in.

I'm glad everyone else pretty much loves the tune. I wish I did, too. But I can't lie to myself. It's definitely NOT the DMB I came to love back then. And IMHO, that tune is nowhere close to Big 3 (or the Lillywhite Sessions).
    Dagwin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2021, 06:27 PM   #6110
    Slackdoodle

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dagwin View Post
    Mark Batson is a horrible influence on Carter. That's when his drumming took a back seat. That's what a 'Hip-Hop' sort of producer will do to the drums. As soon as I heard Dave say that Carter plays in a really "spare" way on Stand Up, I was thinking, "Uh oh!!! That doesn't sound good!"
    Let's not get it twisted. Batson didn't know WTF to do with Carter on their first trip in the studio. He was handed Excalibur and tried to make it a butter knife.

Carter's not "influenced" by anyone but Carter.

Last edited by Slackdoodle; 09-20-2021 at 06:28 PM.
    Slackdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2021, 07:04 PM   #6111
    elconguero

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Always thought something was missing from “Moon” and I think Dagwin nailed it for me. Part I enjoy most is when Carter matches Dave’s vocals with the loud hits.

big stand!
    Jump back!

Whatever those lyrics are that’s my favorite part of the song

Best part of TOT is the tim buddy battle. I need more of that from this version of DMb. More band interplay. Dave is amazing but he is not why I love dmb. It’s the sum of the parts. Losing two voices now, that’s gonna take a hit. Ross and coffin while both excellent musicians just don’t do it for me. They just don’t seem to make any song better like Roi or Boyd could do with a pretty Counter melody. Maybe that’s Dave’s doing. Buddy however is more experimental and plays around more. So maybe it’s their choice to take a backseat.

Last edited by elconguero; 09-20-2021 at 07:07 PM.
    elconguero is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2021, 07:05 PM   #6112
    BruceW

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I understand most of you folks really enjoy Moonwalk, and I already voiced my disappointment in the tune. But I didn't elaborate on why I don't like it.

The drums. Plain & simple. I'm a drummer, and Carter is what brought me in as a fan back in 1997. Therefore, my main focus is always on Carter. And this is definitely a tune that could survive another round of Covid for Carter, because almost anyone with limited drumming skills could sit in on this one.

Compare it, for instance, to 'You Never Know." I was excited the first time I heard that tune, despite being upset about them scrapping the Lillywhite Sessions. When Busted Stuff came out, I was very impressed with that new tune at the time (actually, I was impressed when I first heard it live, which was before Busted Stuff dropped).

Mark Batson is a horrible influence on Carter. That's when his drumming took a back seat. That's what a 'Hip-Hop' sort of producer will do to the drums. As soon as I heard Dave say that Carter plays in a really "spare" way on Stand Up, I was thinking, "Uh oh!!! That doesn't sound good!" And how Batson just wants you to "turn it up loud!" That was another scary moment.

So bottom line, Moonwalker has that same kind of basic drum feel that I have no interest in.

I'm glad everyone else pretty much loves the tune. I wish I did, too. But I can't lie to myself. It's definitely NOT the DMB I came to love back then. And IMHO, that tune is nowhere close to Big 3 (or the Lillywhite Sessions).

DMB has evolved. As do most bands over 30 years. Batson did not change a damn thing about Carter in the live setting. Carter’s age and attrition on his body are the only 2 things that have affected his love playing.
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2021, 07:18 PM   #6113
    ElijahSoRight72

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    DMB has evolved. As do most bands over 30 years. Batson did not change a damn thing about Carter in the live setting. Carter’s age and attrition on his body are the only 2 things that have affected his love playing.
    And also Carter sounds great on the song. His drum trills during the bridge get caught in my head like once a day.
    Old 09-20-2021, 07:34 PM   #6114
    #MDMBGA

My Tour Central Stats

Pretty good chance the Covid Sessions will go the way of many other aborted projects the band has started and never finished. Remember right before the beginning of the tour when things were getting “leaky” and song title initials were being posted? That’s probably as good as it will get for this album. But it’s probably a good thing considering the new songs we’ve heard.

A big problem with the band is the stupid streak they have going. There's no way they don't factor that into album releases. With all the machinations they went through with CT, it's clear that it's not even a legitimate streak. On no iteration of an endless parallel universe would I ever purchase 6 copies of CT, yet that’s how many I acquired. One can only hope that once they do release a new album it won’t be a #1. Then hopefully there wouldn’t be as much pressure.

If they released more albums we’d get a good one occasionally, and some good songs on the duds. Bob Dylan has 39 records in 59 years. He’s consistently put out music, and there are some that weren’t that good at all, but he keeps releasing, and eventually he releases a Time Out of Mind or a Tempest. DMB waits 6 years and gives us CT. At best it will 4-6 years since CT for a new album to come out. I hope it’s worth the wait.
    #MDMBGA is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2021, 08:25 PM   #6115
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Mark Batson changed Carter so much that his very next album was hyper drum focused and he tore it up.
    Old 09-20-2021, 08:28 PM   #6116
    DMBCardinal

My Tour Central Stats

They wouldn't do interviews about the album if they weren't going to release it. It's going to come out, either late this year or 1st half of 2022.
    Old 09-20-2021, 09:11 PM   #6117
    ElijahSoRight72

My Tour Central Stats

I guess we'll have to see if we hear any insider murmurs during the 3 week break after Choctaw. Otherwise the Holidays pretty much guarantee we don't see it release until at least Spring.
    Old 09-21-2021, 05:21 AM   #6118
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 View Post
    And also Carter sounds great on the song. His drum trills during the bridge get caught in my head like once a day.
    Indeed, he's centering the rhythm during that intro/verse Dave's guitar creep.

Listening again right now, that's classic Carter, playing to the song. Not sure how that can be seen/heard as bad. Plenty of his style, just not over the top...it works perfectly in this song.

A most excellent song all around. Best use of backing vocals/harmonies in aDMB song in years. And any song that features a solo from Jeff is elevated by that aspect alone.
    Old 09-21-2021, 05:22 AM   #6119
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 View Post
    I guess we'll have to see if we hear any insider murmurs during the 3 week break after Choctaw. Otherwise the Holidays pretty much guarantee we don't see it release until at least Spring.
    This would suck, but it also wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
    Old 09-21-2021, 05:26 AM   #6120
    BruceW

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    I honestly do not know anything specific regarding timeline. It's probably fair.

It would not shock me to see it pre-December 2021, though. There are certainly rumblings.

I’d like to amend this. It would shock me.

I’d love to be shocked.
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote