New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 30 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-22-2021, 07:50 AM   #871
Aforauer

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenticus View Post
I mean that’s just how they roll I guess....think it should be clear to anyone give it’s DAVE MATTHEWS band that Dave quite clearly is the one who makes the decisions on if an albums happening, touring, etc and then I mean obviously I would assume talks to and consults the other guys, but seems quite clear this ain’t no democracy.

Same time, the other 6 are clearly cool and happy with how things are so is what it is, just do find it a trifle bit strange for them to record in October and member(s) not to really know what’s the plan happening with those jams. Is what it is, just take it as it come.

You gotta think if the rest of the band has no idea when this is coming out, then we’re even further away from finding out. That’s what worries me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aforauer is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-22-2021, 09:20 AM   #872
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I've always gotten the feeling that Dave (and the band) let mgmt handle a lot of these decisions as far as release schedules. But, only IF Dave is still comfortable with or interested in releasing the material.

That said, yes, Dave has definitely taken over as the uncontested leader of the band. While we know that Fonz wants to play and do more different tunes, everyone else seems to serve at the pleasure of Dave as far as set lists are concerned. There's a lot of assumption that some songs are played less or done in something closer to original lengths because Carter's getting older, speculation really...even if it is logical. The songwriting was credited to the band for a while (each member listed), but have more recently gone back to just Dave on a bunch of the more recent tunes.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2021, 10:02 AM   #873
    98yanksFan

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Eric Church announced recently he'll release 3 albums in April. Heart & Soul. "Heart" will have 9 songs, "&" will have 6 songs and be exclusive to fan club members "Soul" will have 9 songs. Wouldn't it be amazing if DMB did something like this? Wishful thinking...
    98yanksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2021, 11:10 AM   #874
    Right Side Up

Shows Seen: 156

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 98yanksFan View Post
    Eric Church announced recently he'll release 3 albums in April. Heart & Soul. "Heart" will have 9 songs, "&" will have 6 songs and be exclusive to fan club members "Soul" will have 9 songs. Wouldn't it be amazing if DMB did something like this? Wishful thinking...
    That would, indeed, be amazing.
    Right Side Up is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2021, 11:23 AM   #875
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

24 new songs regardless of how it's packaged would be awesome.
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2021, 12:07 PM   #876
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Yes but that would require the band’s management to demonstrate an ounce of creativity.

Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2021, 12:50 PM   #877
    K270
    Hello my baby!!!!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 View Post
    Yes but that would require the band’s management to demonstrate an ounce of creativity.

The way I see it, as of right now it wouldn't be creative if someone else already did it. Lets see DMB do something creative themselves and not copy another artist/group.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neumdogg View Post
    Dodgers suck.
    K270 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2021, 12:51 PM   #878
    vkratliff

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 View Post
    Right. I mean, we can't even get a collection of three decades worth of cut tracks, B-sides, and rareties (most of which have been recorded in one form or another). Dave can't even release a version of the song he wrote during the pandemic, even as the pandemic is still going like eight months later.

That's the most baffling thing about this band. There's so much they've written and recorded and played live, but they refuse to release it, even when they know it would sell. I used to think it was some sort of way to preserve integrity, but now I think it's just laziness and disinterest.
    vkratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2021, 12:56 PM   #879
    Whiteyxc514

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by K270 View Post
    The way I see it, as of right now it wouldn't be creative if someone else already did it. Lets see DMB do something creative themselves and not copy another artist/group.
    Right, yeah. If they copied Eric Church it wouldn't be creative, but it would be by DMB album release standards.

Until they give us some info to believe otherwise, I'd fully anticipate this will follow a pattern similar to previous releases with a couple of months of pre-orders, a single or two, traditional album hype, late night appearances, etc.
    Old 01-26-2021, 01:22 PM   #880
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Why the FUCK would any of us care how they release the material? Seriously.

I just want the new, the old, the huddled masses yearning to, uh, break free...

They can copy whoever the fuck the want as long as they give us the tunes. And it's not like we're not willing to pay for it...just freaking release it.
    Old 01-26-2021, 01:25 PM   #881
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post

They can copy whoever the fuck the want as long as they give us the tunes. And it's not like we're not willing to pay for it...just freaking release it.

Well if they release in in the dreaming tree thing I won't be able to open it and if they release it for download on their website I'll download it to a thing I'll never find so ...
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2021, 01:36 PM   #882
    resumesomething

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I like to be optimistic about the band as much as the next fan, but I just don’t see them doing anything out of the ordinary or spectacular for this release. I’m still seeing sponsored Dave Matthews Band ads on Facebook to order now in time for holiday delivery. Not sure where their marketing team living, but they don’t seem to be in this or the last decade.

Last edited by resumesomething; 01-26-2021 at 01:37 PM. Reason: They’re/their
    resumesomething is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2021, 01:43 PM   #883
    maythekarma1

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vkratliff View Post
    Right. I mean, we can't even get a collection of three decades worth of cut tracks, B-sides, and rareties (most of which have been recorded in one form or another). Dave can't even release a version of the song he wrote during the pandemic, even as the pandemic is still going like eight months later.

That's the most baffling thing about this band. There's so much they've written and recorded and played live, but they refuse to release it, even when they know it would sell. I used to think it was some sort of way to preserve integrity, but now I think it's just laziness and disinterest.
    So true it hurts. Dave wrote an amazing homage to the Pandemic that the majority of people were clamoring to buy and then did nothing with it.

The Batson Sessions leaked a long while back to more praise and enraptured fans, diddly squat happened.

The band haven't toured for a whole year and presumably have large overheads (crew, management, storage, security) and don't release anything from their back catalogue.

I mean, they have stacks of recorded material that they could release for the fans. Stuff that's been sitting around for years even after being toured (Shotgun, Sugar Will, Bismarck, Death on the High Seas, etc.)

Oh, and we are all still waiting for a BTCS re-release. It defies belief.
    maythekarma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2021, 04:12 PM   #884
    karczews41

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I don't think releasing three decades of music makes a whole lot of sense from a business perspective, sitting on some of it until the band calls it quits makes sense. But, I agree that releasing some lesser portion of it - whether combined with new tracks, a B-side, etc. - is so obviously a good move right now that their refusal to do so is frustrating AF.
    karczews41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2021, 06:12 PM   #885
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah Eric Church is awesome
    Old 01-26-2021, 07:16 PM   #886
    kmb40oz

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

The Killers put out an awesome album in 2020 and have just announced another album coming out in 2021 and released a tracklist.

https://www.stereogum.com/2114095/th...-keuning/news/

I'd really like to hear some news out of the DMB camp regarding a new album soon but I'm starting to lose any hope.
    Old 01-26-2021, 07:18 PM   #887
    Aforauer

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmb40oz View Post
    The Killers put out an awesome album in 2020 and have just announced another album coming out in 2021 and released a tracklist.

https://www.stereogum.com/2114095/th...-keuning/news/

I'd really like to hear some news out of the DMB camp regarding a new album soon but I'm starting to lose any hope.

DMB continues to drag their feet. Radio silence. Beyond frustrating after touting “new material” back in the fall and early winter like something was to come soon

Aforauer is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2021, 07:23 PM   #888
    Whiteyxc514

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to care about how they release it. I think many of us think it would be cool if they went the T-Swift route and dropped it with relatively short notice.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:40 PM   #889
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

My next hope is they they'll announce it whenever they tell us they are pushing the tour back again. It would make sense to share sad news about the tour then immediately be like, but HEY! NeEeEeEeW album!!

But then something making sense is usually a bad sign when it comes to DMB management...
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2021, 08:54 PM   #890
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 View Post
    My next hope is they they'll announce it whenever they tell us they are pushing the tour back again. It would make sense to share sad news about the tour then immediately be like, but HEY! NeEeEeEeW album!!

But then something making sense is usually a bad sign when it comes to DMB management...
    That would be really cool.

So yea, definitely not gonna happen.
    Old 01-26-2021, 09:15 PM   #891
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 View Post

They did announce the Drive-In series the same day as announcing the postponement of the 2020 tour. So... there's hope!
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2021, 07:01 AM   #892
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

There's a lot more that goes into packaging and sequencing an album than just "Got enough tunes?"

Do they have more than enough to make an anthology type release in the manner of Come Tomorrow? At least twice over of finished material. Don't forget, live arrangements don't always translate to the studio. Joy Ride had the wind sucked out of it. Especially if the fiddle was a bigger part of the arrangement if they are still intent on downplaying Boyd as much as possible. Crazy-Easy, for example.

Do they have enough songs that feel like a cohesive collection of music? That's debatable. The fall sessions are promising in that regard, but we've seen an impending release fall apart a few times before.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2021, 07:09 AM   #893
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dodo36 View Post
    There's a lot more that goes into packaging and sequencing an album than just "Got enough tunes?"

Do they have more than enough to make an anthology type release in the manner of Come Tomorrow? At least twice over of finished material. Don't forget, live arrangements don't always translate to the studio. Joy Ride had the wind sucked out of it. Especially if the fiddle was a bigger part of the arrangement if they are still intent on downplaying Boyd as much as possible. Crazy-Easy, for example.

Do they have enough songs that feel like a cohesive collection of music? That's debatable. The fall sessions are promising in that regard, but we've seen an impending release fall apart a few times before.
    Wait, wait, wait - you think Come Tomorrow sounds like a cohesive collection of music?
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2021, 07:28 AM   #894
    vkratliff

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    Wait, wait, wait - you think Come Tomorrow sounds like a cohesive collection of music?
    Hahaha! Exactly.

Also: Nobody's asking for a cohesive album. We're just asking for a collection of cut songs, and B-sides: Stuff that hasn't been released. And yes, there's plenty of that stuff available to fill a multi-disc collection.

Plenty of other artists have done this. Smashing Pumpkins (Pisces Iscariot), Pearl Jam (Lost Dogs), R.E.M. (remasters with ALL the demos and extra tracks), etc. That's what most people are asking for. It doesn't matter what era of the band the songs came from or who played on them (Butch, Tim, Boyd, Peter Greisar, Rashawn, Jeff, whatever), because long-time fans know the band has had numerous iterations.

But the music is what matters. It's a snapshot in time, and that's what makes it all interesting.
    Old 01-27-2021, 07:35 AM   #895
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    No, I called it an anthology. There's a general progression to the way it was tracked, but... yeah, not a thematic link by any stretch.

Quote:
    Hahaha! Exactly.

Also: Nobody's asking for a cohesive album. We're just asking for a collection of cut songs, and B-sides: Stuff that hasn't been released. And yes, there's plenty of that stuff available to fill a multi-disc collection.

But the music is what matters. It's a snapshot in time, and that's what makes it all interesting.
    The collective Ants may not be asking for that, but get real. They're not going to just slap together a playlist of old tunes. They've had that opportunity in front of them for 15 years and haven't jumped on it, I doubt they'll start now. They certainly could, but no artist strives to put out 'good enough' just because. Even with shitty albums, either the artist and/or producers think they've created something special.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2021, 08:38 AM   #896
    vkratliff

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dodo36 View Post
    No, I called it an anthology. There's a general progression to the way it was tracked, but... yeah, not a thematic link by any stretch.

The collective Ants may not be asking for that, but get real. They're not going to just slap together a playlist of old tunes. They've had that opportunity in front of them for 15 years and haven't jumped on it, I doubt they'll start now. They certainly could, but no artist strives to put out 'good enough' just because. Even with shitty albums, either the artist and/or producers think they've created something special.
    I know it's unlikely, but I was talking about what most fans would like. I think there's a huge market from an all-eras rarities compilation. The band doesn't seem to care about that, but it doesn't make it any less true. I don't need to "get real" if I'm talking about what would be cool on a message board.

And when it comes to the "good enough" idea, I think the Everyday/Lillywhite Sessions debacle, Stand Up, Come Tomorrow, and Dave's setlist composition process prove that he's not really the best judge of his own work.
    Old 01-27-2021, 08:46 AM   #897
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

It's very easy to put together a compilation, even if it's previously unreleased studio versions of songs. The longer they wait the less interest there is. Their fanbase isn't exactly growing.

Best of/Greatest Hits albums, archive collections...the notion of records needing to have a cohesive feel is as outmoded today as it was incomprehensible before the LP-era. We've been back in a singles mentality since iTunes showed the RIAA that managing digital music files was viable and profitable. Playlists replaced mixed tapes and the like. A collection of songs you like should be a good thing and not weighed down by how any of us are/were used to having music packaged and presented to/for us.

I'm all about buying vinyl and getting a DL for mobile listening as part of the package. Don't release the new album on streaming until it's been out for a while if you're trying to maximize earnings for a release. Again, multiple ltd vinyl variants is a way to move lots of units. Even smaller artists like Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit can't help but sell it out. Bands that are on indefinite hiatus like Nickel Creek...selling out ltd and regular vinyl pressings w/ fans buying both. The Avetts released the Gleam III EP with five vinyl variations and they ALL SOLD OUT.

But as we've stated ad nauseam, RLM isn't proactive as it relates to DMB...they're barely reactive. I do the summer tour being postponed as inevitable, so releasing something (or several things) new and/or previously unreleased sooner than later would be good for the band and the fans = good for business.
    Old 01-27-2021, 09:05 AM   #898
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I don't need a bunch of vaulted shit right now (will be awesome one day). The thing that always makes me laugh is the snail's pace and overall strategy behind new music that they actually do plan on releasing. Also the complete refusal to release music in smaller batches sometimes.

Combine that with the bizarre song cuts like Bismarck, it's just tough to get super hyped anymore. I love what I heard/read about the overall recording process they seemed to follow here, felt great when Dave mentioned it during the him and Carter session...now it's basically Feb. Unbelievably silly plan when we literally live in an era that so many do a gazillion cool, engagement oriented things happen around music releases and the fact that music doesn't really get released glacially anymore.

DMB plans a record release like it's 20 years ago, there is no way around that. It's objectively bad strategy and no one with their money, resources, and clout should implement said strategy. Also as a fan, yeah, it can be disappointing because you never feel confident in music actually releasing.

That being said, as it relates to the music itself, still like what we know about how this was recorded. Carter seems involved a little earlier than the last go around which gives me confidence.
    Old 01-27-2021, 10:21 AM   #899
    Whiteyxc514

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's very easy to put together a compilation, even if it's previously unreleased studio versions of songs. [B]The longer they wait the less interest there is. Their fanbase isn't exactly growing.[/B
    I've thought about this before, too. A lot of times people say things like "oh, we'll get the B-sides eventually" or "they'll open up the vaults some day."

Tom Petty's family can release a 7 LP Wildflowers box set, but is there really gonna be a market for a DMB thing like that some day? I don't know. I hope so, but as much as we love them, and as popular as they were/are, they're not in the same tier as some of those other acts who transcend generations.

I may be wrong, but I don't get the impression that there are many Gen Z DMB fans. So, I guess if the B-sides are ever gonna be released, when?
    Old 01-27-2021, 10:33 AM   #900
    Whiteyxc514

My Tour Central Stats

Don't mean to sound negative... I guess my main question is: how many people are gonna wanna hear a Bismarck or Shotgun studio cut for the first time 10, 15, 20 years from now?