New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 20 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 11-24-2020, 07:01 AM   #571
Cptn. Monkeyman
Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

I’m down with an all new track list. A new recording of Dream So Real would be awesome and I think is possible based on that screen shot. But I’d personally like new material to take precedence.

In terms of unreleased tunes, Bismarck and DOTHS are the two studio cuts I’m wanting most. But assuming Cavallo isn’t involved with this new LP, does anyone really think they’d record a new take of those two tracks with Evans? At this point, I don’t think we’ll see anything that was left off Come Tomorrow until some kind of CT deluxe/anniversary release.

I’m just spitballing here, I really have no idea. For all we know, there could be more to this new record than what we’ve seen/heard.
Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-24-2020, 03:05 PM   #572
    kenticus

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    I’m down with an all new track list. A new recording of Dream So Real would be awesome and I think is possible based on that screen shot. But I’d personally like new material to take precedence.

In terms of unreleased tunes, Bismarck and DOTHS are the two studio cuts I’m wanting most. But assuming Cavallo isn’t involved with this new LP, does anyone really think they’d record a new take of those two tracks with Evans? At this point, I don’t think we’ll see anything that was left off Come Tomorrow until some kind of CT deluxe/anniversary release.

I’m just spitballing here, I really have no idea. For all we know, there could be more to this new record than what we’ve seen/heard.
    I mean there were no “come tomorrow” sessions so would be shocked if an anniversary thing ever happened....the album is slapped together from multiple sessions with multiple producers over multiple years, no real consistency. Just because Bismarck or death on the high seas were written in the time between away from the world and come tomorrow doesn’t automatically axe them from next album contention imo.....

I’d be down if Bismarck, death on high seas, shadows on the wall, that butterfly song, and whatever else they come up with all come together to form an album. Hell, I’m on a DMB forum, I’ll at least give whatever they release a spin, but honestly from the live sessions Dave’s done this year and the carter session and everything, everything just seems in a good place to record some jams and get em out there. Here’s hoping they think they caught some magic in those jams they recorded in October in Charlottesville and that they come out soon...
    kenticus is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-24-2020, 03:47 PM   #573
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenticus View Post
    I mean there were no “come tomorrow” sessions so would be shocked if an anniversary thing ever happened....the album is slapped together from multiple sessions with multiple producers over multiple years, no real consistency. Just because Bismarck or death on the high seas were written in the time between away from the world and come tomorrow doesn’t automatically axe them from next album contention imo.....

I’d be down if Bismarck, death on high seas, shadows on the wall, that butterfly song, and whatever else they come up with all come together to form an album. Hell, I’m on a DMB forum, I’ll at least give whatever they release a spin, but honestly from the live sessions Dave’s done this year and the carter session and everything, everything just seems in a good place to record some jams and get em out there. Here’s hoping they think they caught some magic in those jams they recorded in October in Charlottesville and that they come out soon...
    They recorded Bismarck and DOTHS in the same sessions as Sam Cop, Virginia, Here On Out, Again and Again, Black and Blue Bird, and Bkdkdkdkdd with Cavallo as producer. They couldn’t legally use those tracks without attaching Cavallo to the new album. They could re-record them with Evans at the helm, but I wouldn’t get my hopes up. There were apparently a plethora of tracks cut from the final CT album, including the sought after Cavallo tracks. They could absolutely release the leftover tracks as a bonus with a CT 10th anniversary or some shit.

I totally agree that they seem to be in an awesome place right now. I hope they actually had fun with these latest sessions, and I hope that shows in the material they created. As much as I enjoy much of CT, I’d love a solid cohesive album and I think they could really deliver here. And again, maybe they did re-record some older tunes with Evans, but it seems like they’ve worked on an entirely new batch of songs. Dave mentioned in a recent interview they worked on “a couple more songs than he can count with his fingers”. Now that I type that out, I suppose it could be a mix of old and new. Who knows!
    Old 11-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #574
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

They just better get Jeff more involved
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-24-2020, 05:36 PM   #575
    ranimal21

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

I would be curious to see what the final version of Come Tomorrow would have looked like if the Boyd situation not blown up around that time. If I recall correctly they had gotten very far/nearly finished when Boyd was kicked out and then had to go back in and make some edits/changes before it was released. IMHO that contributed greatly to the disjointed finished product (as well as the abundance of producers) that people mention. I do enjoy the CT even though I haven't listened to it much lately.
    ranimal21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-24-2020, 06:59 PM   #576
    kenticus

My Tour Central Stats

I for one would LOVE to know what persuaded them to cut Bismarck and I imagine many would share my curiosity there. But then again, same with sugar will from years and years ago (although not in its current form, song feels over baked in the version current band plays).
    Old 11-24-2020, 11:49 PM   #577
    anthonysoscia

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Okay.. I spent some time going deeper into those whiteboards from the Rockbridge video. We know there are at least 27 tunes considered, including ADSR and TOATB, as well as one listed as "Monster," "______ Heart," and "_____ Young." What I find most interesting is under some tunes you see "CB" which I assume is Carter Beauford. However, under "Heart" and cut off at the top of the small whiteboard you see "CB electro kit?" In the Warehouse Session video you see an electronic drum kit in the background with sticks on it. I also recall Dave saying in the Sirius XM interview that there's some new "retro" music. I think we're in for an interesting album
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg Board 1.jpg (69.9 KB, 206 views)
    File Type: jpg Board 2.jpg (20.1 KB, 182 views)
    File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 2.35.20 AM.jpg (64.2 KB, 183 views)
    anthonysoscia is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-25-2020, 12:08 AM   #578
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anthonysoscia View Post
    Okay.. I spent some time going deeper into those whiteboards from the Rockbridge video. We know there are at least 27 tunes considered, including ADSR and TOATB, as well as one listed as "Monster," "______ Heart," and "_____ Young." What I find most interesting is under some tunes you see "CB" which I assume is Carter Beauford. However, under "Heart" and cut off at the top of the small whiteboard you see "CB electro kit?" In the Warehouse Session video you see an electronic drum kit in the background with sticks on it. I also recall Dave saying in the Sirius XM interview that there's some new "retro" music. I think we're in for an interesting album
    This is exactly the kind of deep-dive I needed while waiting for more on this album. Thank you!
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-25-2020, 04:59 AM   #579
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Wow, awesome stuff. Thanks for the sleuthing! I’m excited to see what comes of Carter’s electric kit
    Old 11-25-2020, 05:49 AM   #580
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

So pumped for studio cornbread!!
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-25-2020, 05:51 AM   #581
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post

Lucky for you, that already exists!
    BruceW is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-25-2020, 05:52 AM   #582
    Aforauer

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    Lucky for you, that already exists!

Any more info lately Mr. Bruce?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aforauer is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-25-2020, 06:10 AM   #583
    kenticus

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Came out as a bonus track for big whiskey!
    Old 11-25-2020, 06:45 AM   #584
    DMBCardinal

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I would love a studio ADSR.
    DMBCardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-25-2020, 07:39 AM   #585
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Interesting stuff. Thanks! Anyway you could post the same screenshots but without your writing over them so we can see if we agree with how you interpreted the text?
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #586
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    Interesting stuff. Thanks! Anyway you could post the same screenshots but without your writing over them so we can see if we agree with how you interpreted the text?
    Here's a screen grab I took. Some notes (some is easier to decipher when watching the video, rather than a static image), starting with the board on the left:

lectro kit?
    (goat drawing)
    Heart CB electro kit?
    utterfly CB (Could be Ocean and the Butterfly, perhaps?)
    ted...
    B (probably another CB)
    S Done (looks like "Done" is a different color, so could be that the song was fully completed?)
    Young
    70's Song (might relate to the "retro" comment that was made)

Then, over Alagia's head:
    8. The Ocean and the Butterfly, CB
    9. Stay Hungry
    10. UKE ?????????tion CB
    11. (alagia's head)
    12. (alagia's head) ?? was tomorrow
    13. (alagia) ?? Hair
    14. (alagia)
    15. (alagia)
    16. (alagia)
    (column seems to end here)

(second column)
    26. Monster
    27. Dream So Real
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg whiteboard.jpg (39.7 KB, 481 views)
    madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-25-2020, 08:57 AM   #587
    anthonysoscia

My Tour Central Stats

Ah sorry I didn’t save the screen shots unedited. I also used photo shop to adjust sharpness and contrast of certain parts but didn’t save those adjustments. Everything on the small whiteboard was very clear other than whatever is at the bottom. I’m not sure what that says. On the big whiteboard the “26. monster” and “27. ADSR” and “TOATB” were all very clear. “Stay” seemed pretty clear and I just tried to outline whatever letters around it. The “15” and “17” are questionable but that’s what it seemed like.
    Old 11-25-2020, 09:00 AM   #588
    anthonysoscia

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    <div class="pre-quote">
    Quote de <strong>Cscottrun</strong>
    </div>

<div class="post-quote">
    <div style="font-style:italic">Interesting stuff. Thanks! Anyway you could post the same screenshots but without your writing over them so we can see if we agree with how you interpreted the text?</div>
    </div>Here's a screen grab I took. Some notes (some is easier to decipher when watching the video, rather than a static image), starting with the board on the left:<br>
    <br>
    lectro kit?<br>
    (goat drawing)<br>
    Heart CB electro kit?<br>
    utterfly CB (Could be Ocean and the Butterfly, perhaps?)<br>
    ted...<br>
    B (probably another CB)<br>
    S Done (looks like "Done" is a different color, so could be that the song was fully completed?)<br>
    Young<br>
    70's Song (might relate to the "retro" comment that was made)<br>
    <br>
    Then, over Alagia's head:<br>
    8. The Ocean and the Butterfly, CB<br>
    9. Stay Hungry<br>
    10. UKE ?????????tion CB<br>
    11. (alagia's head)<br>
    12. (alagia's head) ?? was tomorrow<br>
    13. (alagia) ?? Hair<br>
    14. (alagia)<br>
    15. (alagia)<br>
    16. (alagia)<br>
    (column seems to end here)<br>
    <br>
    (second column)<br>
    26. Monster<br>
    27. Dream So Real
    Oh wow thank you!! You got a much clearer screenshot than I did!
    Old 11-25-2020, 09:02 AM   #589
    anthonysoscia

My Tour Central Stats

What I thought was 15. and 17. is actually 10. and 12.
    Old 11-25-2020, 09:03 AM   #590
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Oh wow thank you!! You got a much clearer screenshot than I did!
    Had to switch the quality on YouTube to the highest available, and also put it in full screen, which helped.
    madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #591
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

70's song sounds interesting
    Old 11-25-2020, 11:42 AM   #592
    groogrux27

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

watch Monster just be a cover of Kanye West

who do you guys think gets Nicki Minaj's verse?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    groogrux27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-25-2020, 11:47 AM   #593
    JZ4140

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenticus View Post
    I for one would LOVE to know what persuaded them to cut Bismarck and I imagine many would share my curiosity there. But then again, same with sugar will from years and years ago (although not in its current form, song feels over baked in the version current band plays).
    So, my theory here is that Bismarck sounded too much like Do You Remember. And that Sugar Will didn't make any sense with the rest of Stand Up.

Also, completely agreed about the studio Dream So Real. Though the 6.21.08 version is just god damn perfect as well.

Last edited by JZ4140; 11-25-2020 at 11:50 AM.
    JZ4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-25-2020, 12:01 PM   #594
    acedmb

Shows Seen: 42

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    <div class="pre-quote">
    Quote de <strong>kenticus</strong>
    </div>

<div class="post-quote">
    <div style="font-style:italic">I for one would LOVE to know what persuaded them to cut Bismarck and I imagine many would share my curiosity there. But then again, same with sugar will from years and years ago (although not in its current form, song feels over baked in the version current band plays).</div>
    </div>So, my theory here is that Bismarck sounded too much like Do You Remember. And that Sugar Will didn't make any sense with the rest of Stand Up.<br>
    <br>
    Also, completely agreed about the studio Dream So Real. Though the 6.21.08 version is just god damn perfect as well.
    I’ve always thought the same. I don’t mind DYR, but to me Bismarck is a much better song. I think DYR being inspired by Dave’s friend who passed might have made them more inclined to include it. Hoping they come back to Bismarck though!
    acedmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-25-2020, 12:06 PM   #595
    GoingToCA91

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Some of these songs honestly sound like fake Ants tracklists that always pop up in new album threads

This time they're real, though?
    GoingToCA91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #596
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Uke Revolution?

I kinda like that
    Old 11-25-2020, 01:09 PM   #597
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GoingToCA91 View Post
    Some of these songs honestly sound like fake Ants tracklists that always pop up in new album threads

This time they're real, though?
    Some of them are probably not actual song titles. Could just be nicknames / place holders like "Egyptian" or "Soprano Guitar"
    Old 11-25-2020, 01:10 PM   #598
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by groogrux27 View Post

I was thinking the Herbie Hancock cover lol. I'm not familiar with the West one
    Old 11-25-2020, 02:08 PM   #599
    groogrux27

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    I was thinking the Herbie Hancock cover lol. I'm not familiar with the West one
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS6HRKZQLFA
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    groogrux27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-25-2020, 02:27 PM   #600
    alec

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by groogrux27 View Post

I think they’ll get Greta Thundberg to do Nicki’s verse.
    alec is offline   Reply With Quote