New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 23 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 12-08-2020, 06:51 PM   #661
crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crounsa810 View Post
I assume a Cavallo produced album would've included something like:

Samurai Cop
Again and Again
Virginia in the Rain
Here on Out
Be Yourself
Sugar Will
Death on the High Seas
Black and Bluebird
Bismarck
Cha Cha
Callalily

And maybe one or two of Good Good Time, Crazy Easy, or Idea of You based on how much those were played when those studio sessions were going on. I don't think Plastic Girl would've made the album, they knew that one wasn't very good. The reception when it was played was pretty non-existent.
Also, looking at this list, we've never heard Cha Cha or Callalily as far as we know. We only know they exist because of the copyright filings, but based on the rest of the tracklist, it could be possible that there was a Lillywhite Sessions-esque decision to scrap it because of the relatively somber mood of it. Most of those songs are pretty mellow or overcast, so there may have been a sorta "where's the Tripping Billies?" moment that made him reconsider. That could also coincide with his interviews where he seemed disgruntled about the fact that so many people go to the shows to see them as a party band. If he had just created an album full of music he liked but it didn't translate to an upbeat crowd, I could see some resentment there, especially if label execs got on him about it.

Because lets face it, apart from Again and Again, Samurai Cop, and Here On Out, most of those songs have disappeared from sets. Even the ones that were released on Come Tomorrow.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 12-08-2020, 07:21 PM   #662
    ScottCavBBQ
    twitter: @scottcavinc

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

this is a longshot, but 5-6 years ago their was a short video series with dave that produced a video of him doing come away death that you can find on youtube, but he also played death on the high seas in one of the videos, any chance anybody has an audio rip of that death on the high seas or the episode it appeared in so i can rip it. that whole video series was a great watch. wish i woulda figured out how to grab it when it was out. as close to a studio recording as we might ever get
    Old 12-08-2020, 07:28 PM   #663
    kenticus

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I mean we do have the soundboard DOTHS from the Dave and Tim Georgia Sirius show so we have that ^^^^

There’s also the Bismarck soundboard Dave and Tim from farm aid....just regrettably no full band soundboards of either....so far at least.
    kenticus is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2020, 07:33 PM   #664
    ScottCavBBQ

My Tour Central Stats

i am so far behind on the sirius shows. you would think with everything being shutdown its the one thing i would have done would be to have kept up on that. ill have to hunt that one out. does anyone have a list of all the shows that have been on sirius or the drive in thing from this summer that were not already live trax? sounds like my project this week. dreamingtree here i come
    Old 12-08-2020, 07:39 PM   #665
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ScottCavBBQ View Post
    i am so far behind on the sirius shows. you would think with everything being shutdown its the one thing i would have done would be to have kept up on that. ill have to hunt that one out. does anyone have a list of all the shows that have been on sirius or the drive in thing from this summer that were not already live trax? sounds like my project this week. dreamingtree here i come

Check out the thread "Dave solo, Jefferson ..." all of the solo performances are there, great playing and really enjoyable
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2020, 07:48 PM   #666
    ScottCavBBQ

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Check out the thread "Dave solo, Jefferson ..." all of the solo performances are there, great playing and really enjoyable
    thank for that, i actually saw that thread and nabbed those last week. now im curious about how many soundboards from sirius and the drive in that are available from the past three years. going through the almanac. gonna have alot of downloading to do for sure! i think i got the first show they ever did live on sirius that had a version of stand up w/shotgun cover mixed into it. stayed on top of it that summer but lost all those shows from that first year when my ipod crashed and didnt keep the backups on my computer. was planning on uploading my ipod with the way i label and organize and never did it before the crash. got really bummed out and now its like three years later and i dont have any of those shows. like i said, gonna be embarking on alot of work!
    Old 12-09-2020, 05:37 PM   #667
    gia_rootdivine
    our sacred dances true

Shows Seen: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenticus View Post
    I mean we do have the soundboard DOTHS from the Dave and Tim Georgia Sirius show so we have that ^^^^

There’s also the Bismarck soundboard Dave and Tim from farm aid....just regrettably no full band soundboards of either....so far at least.
    there is a band soundboard of Bismarck thankfully!!! it is just barely not the complete song, which is made up for by being such a really warm and expressive performance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-AWsFzUzYo
    gia_rootdivine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-09-2020, 08:12 PM   #668
    JZ4140

Shows Seen: 55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gia_rootdivine View Post
    there is a band soundboard of Bismarck thankfully!!! it is just barely not the complete song, which is made up for by being such a really warm and expressive performance!

I had no idea that existed! Thank you for such an awesome watch. Always so interesting to see things from Carter's POV. And that smile!
    JZ4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-10-2020, 06:40 AM   #669
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JZ4140 View Post
    I had no idea that existed! Thank you for such an awesome watch. Always so interesting to see things from Carter's POV. And that smile!
    It's the greatest evidence (even if around 2:00 is missing I believe) that this was their best song in awhile. Still can't believe (but I also can because of course) that this was shelved for Come Tomorrow.
    Old 12-10-2020, 04:15 PM   #670
    kenticus

Shows Seen: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I hate the tease that is this video! So much of the song and then just fading it out! Those bastards!
    kenticus is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-10-2020, 04:19 PM   #671
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenticus View Post
    I hate the tease that is this video! So much of the song and then just fading it out! Those bastards!

Haha exactly! Like what’s the point of 3/4 of a song?? Classic DMB shit.
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-14-2020, 06:19 PM   #672
    GreyStreetAve

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    From what I recall, almost every song that was recorded during the AFTW sessions made the album, except maybe a couple. I was just saying, I'm more interested in songs from Lillywhite's session with the band than the 2015 sessions.
    I remember Lillywhite said in an interview there was only 1 song being worked on in the studio that didn't make AFTW. I believe he said it never even gotten close to being completed.
    GreyStreetAve is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-17-2020, 07:11 AM   #673
    LaLaLaLaHey

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Such a good mix minus the part where Jeff is muted haha but bummer that they cut the intro and much of the outro

What we really need is that Charlottesville 5/7/16 show released as a Live Trax (or honestly any 2016 show with Bismarck & Bob Law).
    Old 12-17-2020, 09:11 AM   #674
    DMB1JW

Shows Seen: 113

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LaLaLaLaHey View Post
    What we really need is that Charlottesville 5/7/16 show released as a Live Trax .
    YES!!! One of my all time favorite shows. Solid setlist start to finish. I feel the Band's best live versions of Sam Cop, Bob Law and Bismarck.
    DMB1JW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #675
    alec

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMB1JW View Post
    YES!!! One of my all time favorite shows. Solid setlist start to finish. I feel the Band's best live versions of Sam Cop, Bob Law and Bismarck.
    I third this.
    alec is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-18-2020, 02:15 PM   #676
    jimiyourjimi41

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

I fear it's going to be once again recorded too quickly.. The last few albums just don't have any production depth or value.. It's just the instruments with no overall sound or theme... BTCS is the perfect example of a lot of texture on songs.. What an album used to be for bands.. Now it's almost just like demos get a nice master done and they call it good... Not just DMB but most bigger bands... There's just not enough to chew on in any given song.. Those things you only hear with headphones like the 4th time you listen.. or some weird intstrumentation that you wouldn't expect.. where is that??
    jimiyourjimi41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-18-2020, 07:22 PM   #677
    Tom Brady
    48 and counting

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alec View Post
    I third this.
    The 2016 Charlottesville show for the 25th anniversary was amazing. That in vinyl would be incredible.
    Tom Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-18-2020, 08:48 PM   #678
    alec

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tom Brady View Post
    The 2016 Charlottesville show for the 25th anniversary was amazing. That in vinyl would be incredible.
    Yes! I would definitely pick that up.
    Old 12-19-2020, 06:46 AM   #679
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

They should release that 25th anniversary show as a Blu Ray / CD and Vinyl.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-19-2020, 07:10 AM   #680
    maythekarma1

Shows Seen: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    They should release that 25th anniversary show as a Blu Ray / CD and Vinyl.
    They really should. I'd be content with that as being the last ever release. That Bismarck is excellent. Jeff's solo is superb.
    maythekarma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-19-2020, 09:16 PM   #681
    Evans

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimiyourjimi41 View Post
    I fear it's going to be once again recorded too quickly.. The last few albums just don't have any production depth or value.. It's just the instruments with no overall sound or theme... BTCS is the perfect example of a lot of texture on songs.. What an album used to be for bands.. Now it's almost just like demos get a nice master done and they call it good... Not just DMB but most bigger bands... There's just not enough to chew on in any given song.. Those things you only hear with headphones like the 4th time you listen.. or some weird intstrumentation that you wouldn't expect.. where is that??
    I probably spent 10-15 years hoping on hope for the band to return to that. AFTW was the closest they’ve gotten. I’ve given up anticipating anything from them at this point. You can find years of my posts on this page just hoping and hoping. Eventually i tired of waiting.
    I'd like to take a chance to thank you all very much for joining us this evening and I hope that you have a nice night followin' this one, don't forget to love each other, don't forget to do your best, don't forget to vote, don't forget to dafahdedofehdahdeedoedeeday!
    Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-20-2020, 07:23 AM   #682
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evans View Post
    I probably spent 10-15 years hoping on hope for the band to return to that. AFTW was the closest they’ve gotten. I’ve given up anticipating anything from them at this point. You can find years of my posts on this page just hoping and hoping. Eventually i tired of waiting.
    Agreed, but would argue Big Whiskey was that album and not Away From the World. Sure it had Lillywhite's name on it, and I love the album, but it is a very bland recording. Whereas, Big Whiskey has a lot of depth. They took a lot of time with Big Whiskey and there are many layers to the songs that you won't find on Away From the World. AFTW sounded like they got in a dry room and hit record.

It really is a shame we never saw another full album with Rob Cavallo. While I don't prefer the rock sound, they seemed to really explore the studio again with him and enjoy doing it.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-20-2020, 01:33 PM   #683
    JZ4140

Shows Seen: 55

My Tour Central Stats

I'm on board with all the Big Whiskey notes above. In addition to the aforementioned thoughts, that album feels like a real emotional arc to me. I think it's sequenced very, very well.

And it's the most geographically linked to a single place (New Orleans) of any album - at least for me. I'd like to see more albums that weave in the life and culture of other cities.
    JZ4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-20-2020, 02:37 PM   #684
    ElijahSoRight72

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    Agreed, but would argue Big Whiskey was that album and not Away From the World. Sure it had Lillywhite's name on it, and I love the album, but it is a very bland recording. Whereas, Big Whiskey has a lot of depth. They took a lot of time with Big Whiskey and there are many layers to the songs that you won't find on Away From the World. AFTW sounded like they got in a dry room and hit record.

It really is a shame we never saw another full album with Rob Cavallo. While I don't prefer the rock sound, they seemed to really explore the studio again with him and enjoy doing it.
    Absolutely. I've actually never heard anything like the studio production on BW, which is probably why it sticks with me so much. It was like a game to discover elements in BW that I hadn't noticed before. Like I heard Dave whispering overdubs of "drum beats louder" in Squirm years after listening to that song, but once I heard them it felt exciting. The layers and depth to that album is unrivaled.

(Also love the connective tissues on that album, Carter screaming YEAH at the end of SMLAM, Rob saying "you can go" right before Why I Am crashes in, Dave whispering "relax" at the top of Time Bomb- I love that shit.)

My biggest hope for DMB albums after were that we could get that same feeling of layered exploration of studio magic. Which is why I've been hoping for Cavallo to get another full chance at an album, but in vain of course.
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-20-2020, 02:54 PM   #685
    Dagwin

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JZ4140 View Post

And it's the most geographically linked to a single place (New Orleans) of any album - at least for me. I'd like to see more albums that weave in the life and culture of other cities.
    DMB - San Andreas would be the shit! I'd even settle for Vice City!
    Dagwin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-20-2020, 07:57 PM   #686
    alec

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dagwin View Post
    DMB - San Andreas would be the shit! I'd even settle for Vice City!
    I would want them to record somewhere in the Middle East so we could get an entire album of Minarets, Dancing Nancies, Last Stop, Squirm magic.
    Old 12-20-2020, 08:44 PM   #687
    Dagwin

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I would want them to record somewhere in the Middle East so we could get an entire album of Minarets, Dancing Nancies, Last Stop, Squirm magic.

Which makes me think... one of the things many of us like about the band is the fact that they can't be pigeonholed into one particular genre. Has anyone tried to assemble a definitive list of DMB songs by genre? Might be something interesting for a thread of its own.
    Dagwin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-22-2020, 08:05 AM   #688
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Warehouse just sent an email with this image in it. Is this recent?

http://static.musictoday.com/news/st...22120/NL01.jpg

Edit: It actually looks more like backstage at a show, nevermind.

Last edited by Dannyyankou; 12-22-2020 at 08:06 AM.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-28-2020, 09:09 AM   #689
    Tom Brady
    48 and counting

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Kind of surprised we haven’t heard anything more about this... any chance we get an update on Jan 1st?
    Tom Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-28-2020, 10:03 AM   #690
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Don't forget the original Can't Stop from the Batson Sessions. Biggest mistake they ever made with that song is releasing it without the eastern section.

"Into the eastern..."

https://soundcloud.com/michelle-eise...sions-2#t=3:16
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote