**The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread** - Page 605 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-14-2018, 07:51 PM   #18121
snake911

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
Yeah, I might take that off your hands. How much did it cost you?

In other vinyl news I've been lost for the past couple days in Ravi Shankar - Live in Hollywood 71. Insane ragas on those disks, and some of the material on the flac downloads are mine blowing. If anybody likes sitar jams it's well worthtracking down.

Non-vinyl question: does anyone in here have the A-Ha Unplugged Summer Solstice Blu-Ray? I'm wondering about audio quality. If the BR is done well I'm going to get it, if not I'll just stick with the CD.
snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-14-2018, 08:33 PM   #18122
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snake911 View Post
    Non-vinyl question: does anyone in here have the A-Ha Unplugged Summer Solstice Blu-Ray? I'm wondering about audio quality. If the BR is done well I'm going to get it, if not I'll just stick with the CD.
    The a-ha Blu-ray peculiarly omits a surround track, it's stereo only. This is particularly odd given how sizable the backing orchestra is during some songs, however the fidelity of the included 24/96 stereo LPCM track is terrific and I think it's worth owning just for "This Alone Is Love". I really enjoy watching the performances so the excellent video track and the fact I enjoy at least half the songs on here have resulted in no buyer's remorse.

I imported mine from Amazon UK.

Also I bloody love that new song This Is Our Home.
    Old 06-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #18123
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Not vinyl related, but thought Doby or someone else here might have some feedback on this. I've been looking to add a SACD/DVD-A player to my setup at home, and thought the best way to do so on the cheap may be by going for an older generation DVD player that has SACD/DVD-A playback capabilities.

Looking at the Pioneer Elite DV-45A. Would this be a solid option for those purposes?

I also recently just snagged a Pioneer Elite A-20 integrated amp at a steal of a price. I love my old SX-650, especially how well it pairs with the same generation HPM-100 speakers I am running, but for the crazy low price I got, I couldn't resist giving this a shot and seeing if it's an improvement, as the reviews are really great.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #18124
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Achtung Baby

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2018, 11:17 AM   #18125
    snake911

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    The a-ha Blu-ray peculiarly omits a surround track, it's stereo only. This is particularly odd given how sizable the backing orchestra is during some songs, however the fidelity of the included 24/96 stereo LPCM track is terrific and I think it's worth owning just for "This Alone Is Love". I really enjoy watching the performances so the excellent video track and the fact I enjoy at least half the songs on here have resulted in no buyer's remorse.

I imported mine from Amazon UK.

Also I bloody love that new song This Is Our Home.
    Ok, that's a bit of a mixed bag but sounds like I'm going to need to get a copy. A Break in the Clouds was another gem from those sets, and cover of The Killing Moon was tons of fun. I find it funny that a-ha was a considered a one hit wonder in the US and they've had a damn solid career in Scandinavia. Analogue is a wonderful album.
    Old 06-15-2018, 04:29 PM   #18126
    AJF_41

My Tour Central Stats

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2d138070540992

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2018, 08:25 AM   #18127
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm like 95% sure it was listed as $22.95 the other day.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2018, 07:42 PM   #18128
    AJF_41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    I'm like 95% sure it was listed as $22.95 the other day.
    That’s wild. I just looked, I’m locked in at $22.32.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:05 PM   #18129
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

The new Grateful Dead 6-LP Portland 74 release is up for pre-order on Amazon for those interested

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Old 06-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #18130
    AJF_41

My Tour Central Stats

anyone get that petty box set that was posted on vinyl deals?

i want wildflowers so bad. box set seems like the only way...until repress.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:44 AM   #18131
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

If any Ants members wouldn't mind voting up my CT review whether you think it's steaming hot garbage or not, would be appreciated. I would gladly return the favor if you have any reviews you want bumped a little. Cheers!

https://www.amazon.com/review/R2L0B8...p_perm?ie=UTF8
    Old 06-19-2018, 07:52 AM   #18132
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    anyone get that petty box set that was posted on vinyl deals?

i want wildflowers so bad. box set seems like the only way...until repress.
    That was the Live Anthology set, I think there was just one copy available and it got snapped up. Always wanted that one.

I think the issue with Wildflowers was that there were some talks of a larger, deluxe type package for that reissue - Tom had said it was originally intended to be a double album and there's basically an entire album's worth of material that never came out. When he passed away, obviously that just kind of fell off the table.

FWIW, if you're a TP fan, the box set is 110% worth the money. Every album in the set sounds absolutely phenomenal. Wildflowers and Echo are the standouts sonically, but they're all amazing. Not sure I'd spend the $$ *just* to get Wildflowers if you don't like the other stuff, but assuming you like it all, it's amazing.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:57 AM   #18133
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If any Ants members wouldn't mind voting up my CT review whether you think it's steaming hot garbage or not, would be appreciated. I would gladly return the favor if you have any reviews you want bumped a little. Cheers!

Voted helpful!

Nice review - your comments about the mastering have me curious. Do you have any info that the vinyl will indeed be the same mastering? Or are you just speculating based on what we got with AFTW? I was really hopefully they'd do a separate master given the strong track record of their recent vinyl releases, AFTW not withstanding.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:21 AM   #18134
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Done!

Old 06-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #18135
    AJF_41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    That was the Live Anthology set, I think there was just one copy available and it got snapped up. Always wanted that one.

I think the issue with Wildflowers was that there were some talks of a larger, deluxe type package for that reissue - Tom had said it was originally intended to be a double album and there's basically an entire album's worth of material that never came out. When he passed away, obviously that just kind of fell off the table.

FWIW, if you're a TP fan, the box set is 110% worth the money. Every album in the set sounds absolutely phenomenal. Wildflowers and Echo are the standouts sonically, but they're all amazing. Not sure I'd spend the $$ *just* to get Wildflowers if you don't like the other stuff, but assuming you like it all, it's amazing.

I'd be interested in the box set...I just own just about every album already.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #18136
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Dmb 25 isn’t dropping in price ugh. I also really want green LT3.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-19-2018, 05:34 PM   #18137
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    Dmb 25 isn’t dropping in price ugh. I also really want green LT3.
    Yeah, I dont really see Live 25 dropping in price any time soon. But on LT3 you should be able to find one at a decent price if you keep your eyes out on discogs and ebay. $125-$150 seems like a fair deal if you can find one in that range

Old 06-19-2018, 07:49 PM   #18138
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

So I got the Pioneer Elite A-20 amp on the doorstep today. Hooked it up straight away to spin some vinyl and see if it was going to sound better than my old SX-650.

Problem 1, I'm getting a buzz from the ground wire no matter how much I fiddle with it.

First thing I spun was Greta Van Fleet's 'Black Smoke Rising' EP as it happened to be sitting on the turntable. This is a pretty solid sounding vinyl. It was mastered separately for vinyl (which actually shocked me when I got it as I figured it to be a quickie cash grab when they put it out.) With the loudness button off and the tone controls all straight at 12 o'clock, it didn't sound good at all. Tinny, lacking in bottom end punch. Muddy sounding as well, a real lack of separation between the instruments. I engaged the loudness and tweaked the bass and treble a bit and it was much better, but still not even close to the clarity and soundstage I get from the SX-650.

Then I swapped out the vinyl for Crash. This sounded much better out of the gate. Once the full band kicked in on SMTS though, while it still sounded good, I still think the SX-650 gives it much better separation, clarity, and a wider soundstage. Not to mention, despite their allegedly similar power (the SX-650 is 35 WPC at 8 ohms, the A-20 is 30 WPC at 8 ohms) I had to go to around 1-2 o'clock on the volume knob to get the same volume that I get at about 10 o'clock on the SX-650, and when I got up to that level was when I really was noticing the muddier sonics.

I was really expecting this thing to sound a lot better than it did based on everything I've read on it. I switched over to my CD player next, and fired up one of the 6 'Come Tomorrow' CDs that finally arrived in my mailbox today. This was a lot better. It was really punchy and I got a lot more volume at a lower level (possibly just due to the harsh mastering?) One of my favorite things about my HPM-100's is how tight, controlled, and punchy the bass is and that really shined through on Carter's kick and Stefan's bass. The intro to Can't Stop was hitting me right in the gut in the best possible way. Fonz on VITR was sublime.

The wife headed to bed then, so I couldn't really test drive it much more for tonight, but given how impressed I was by the CD but let down by vinyl, I wondering a few things:

1. Other than the annoying buzz, the the ground wire impacting the sound in any other way? What are some possible remedies to eliminate?
    2. Perhaps the phonostage on the A-20 just stinks? I loaned out my TC-750LC phono preamp (from phonopreamps.com) to a friend, and I'm wondering if I should get it back and try that through the aux input on the amp instead of the amp's phonostage to A/B it.
    3. Despite the only 5W difference in RMS output rating between the two, perhaps the A-20 simply doesn't have the cojones to drive those beastly HPM-100's at significant volumes? That leaves me puzzled why I had plenty of power and head room to spare when playing a CD though.
    4. Maybe it's simply a matter of the SX-650 pairing better with the HPM-100's? They're designed to go together, after all, whereas with the A-20 I'm pairing a 2016 amp with 1976 speakers.

Anyone have any thoughts here? I ordered some banana plugs for the speaker wire, but I don't think that's going to make any kind of significant difference in the sound.

Last edited by AlexK79; 06-19-2018 at 07:51 PM.
    Old 06-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #18139
    AndySlash
    Falling Hard

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

let me be clear that in no way do i mean this rudely, but why? to be seen more? is there some sort of incentive program or something? just curious as to why you’d ask.

Discogs
    AndySlash is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-19-2018, 10:49 PM   #18140
    snake911

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So I got the Pioneer Elite A-20 amp on the doorstep today. Hooked it up straight away to spin some vinyl and see if it was going to sound better than my old SX-650.

Problem 1, I'm getting a buzz from the ground wire no matter how much I fiddle with it.

First thing I spun was Greta Van Fleet's 'Black Smoke Rising' EP as it happened to be sitting on the turntable. This is a pretty solid sounding vinyl. It was mastered separately for vinyl (which actually shocked me when I got it as I figured it to be a quickie cash grab when they put it out.) With the loudness button off and the tone controls all straight at 12 o'clock, it didn't sound good at all. Tinny, lacking in bottom end punch. Muddy sounding as well, a real lack of separation between the instruments. I engaged the loudness and tweaked the bass and treble a bit and it was much better, but still not even close to the clarity and soundstage I get from the SX-650.

Then I swapped out the vinyl for Crash. This sounded much better out of the gate. Once the full band kicked in on SMTS though, while it still sounded good, I still think the SX-650 gives it much better separation, clarity, and a wider soundstage. Not to mention, despite their allegedly similar power (the SX-650 is 35 WPC at 8 ohms, the A-20 is 30 WPC at 8 ohms) I had to go to around 1-2 o'clock on the volume knob to get the same volume that I get at about 10 o'clock on the SX-650, and when I got up to that level was when I really was noticing the muddier sonics.

I was really expecting this thing to sound a lot better than it did based on everything I've read on it. I switched over to my CD player next, and fired up one of the 6 'Come Tomorrow' CDs that finally arrived in my mailbox today. This was a lot better. It was really punchy and I got a lot more volume at a lower level (possibly just due to the harsh mastering?) One of my favorite things about my HPM-100's is how tight, controlled, and punchy the bass is and that really shined through on Carter's kick and Stefan's bass. The intro to Can't Stop was hitting me right in the gut in the best possible way. Fonz on VITR was sublime.

The wife headed to bed then, so I couldn't really test drive it much more for tonight, but given how impressed I was by the CD but let down by vinyl, I wondering a few things:

1. Other than the annoying buzz, the the ground wire impacting the sound in any other way? What are some possible remedies to eliminate?
    2. Perhaps the phonostage on the A-20 just stinks? I loaned out my TC-750LC phono preamp (from phonopreamps.com) to a friend, and I'm wondering if I should get it back and try that through the aux input on the amp instead of the amp's phonostage to A/B it.
    3. Despite the only 5W difference in RMS output rating between the two, perhaps the A-20 simply doesn't have the cojones to drive those beastly HPM-100's at significant volumes? That leaves me puzzled why I had plenty of power and head room to spare when playing a CD though.
    4. Maybe it's simply a matter of the SX-650 pairing better with the HPM-100's? They're designed to go together, after all, whereas with the A-20 I'm pairing a 2016 amp with 1976 speakers.

Anyone have any thoughts here? I ordered some banana plugs for the speaker wire, but I don't think that's going to make any kind of significant difference in the sound.
    I'm not as familiar with the A-20, but those old Pioneer Silver Series amps have an incredible phono stage that vastly outperforms their price and they last forever. Could just be a phono stage that has held up much better, and has better clarity, than what is in the A-20.

I suppose the CD playing decently through the aux input and with good volume, points to maybe a weak and underperforming phono input.

Last edited by snake911; 06-19-2018 at 10:51 PM.
    Old 06-20-2018, 06:47 AM   #18141
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    What is everyone spinning this weekend? I'm kicking off Saturday with a few acoustic albums, including this gem: https://www.instagram.com/p/BjPgiaHHPer/
    So I started following you a week or two back and gotta say I friggin love your page. Keep posting man!
    Old 06-20-2018, 06:51 AM   #18142
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    So I started following you a week or two back and gotta say I friggin love your page. Keep posting man!
    Thanks! I really appreciate that. It's been a fun hobby. Obviously I love music/hifi/vinyl, but I like taking the photos and sharing them too.

And if there's anything you think I can do better, let me know! Always trying to improve. Just started doing the instagram stories thing and highlights and that has seemed to do well too.

What's your instagram username, I'll make sure I follow you back if I haven't already!

Old 06-20-2018, 07:05 AM   #18143
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm not as familiar with the A-20, but those old Pioneer Silver Series amps have an incredible phono stage that vastly outperforms their price and they last forever. Could just be a phono stage that has held up much better, and has better clarity, than what is in the A-20.

I suppose the CD playing decently through the aux input and with good volume, points to maybe a weak and underperforming phono input.
    Thanks. This is kind of what I am leaning towards being the culprit. I was expecting to have to really A/B records against each other for awhile and nitpick it to death, and I was taken aback at how immediately I thought "this sounds like shit..." as soon as I dropped the needle on that first record.

I'm gonna get my preamp back from my buddy and try that through the aux input on the A-20 and see if I notice a difference.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:07 AM   #18144
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndySlash View Post
    let me be clear that in no way do i mean this rudely, but why? to be seen more? is there some sort of incentive program or something? just curious as to why you’d ask.
    Can't speak for Doby of course but, I would assume it's to get more sets of eyes on his comments regarding the shoddy mastering job, as that's the kind of thing that a lot of people don't pay attention to.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:08 AM   #18145
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndySlash View Post
    No offense taken at all, it's simply to try and get ranked higher to get a badge upgrade. I have found the more visible you are, the more likely you are to get things like vine offers. In the past this has got me $500+ AVRs to review and keep at no charge...$150+ hair straighteners for the missus, etc. Pretty sweet!
    Old 06-20-2018, 07:11 AM   #18146
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No offense taken at all, it's simply to try and get ranked higher to get a badge upgrade. I have found the more visible you are, the more likely you are to get things like vine offers. In the past this has got me $500+ AVRs to review and keep at no charge...$150+ hair straighteners for the missus, etc. Pretty sweet!
    I was way off.

BTW, what's with the one dude that just commented "LOL" on your review?

Old 06-20-2018, 07:11 AM   #18147
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Can't speak for Doby of course but, I would assume it's to get more sets of eyes on his comments regarding the shoddy mastering job, as that's the kind of thing that a lot of people don't pay attention to.
    I do engage in this as well, but that's normally for items I rate lowly because you're up against fans to begin with if you don't rate something highly. There are a few places I know where folks trying to call out this practise will help each other out, which helped get this one off the ground (https://www.amazon.com/gp/review/RK1...at_pdctrvw_srp) that eventually took on a life of its own, lol.
    Old 06-20-2018, 07:23 AM   #18148
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I was way off.

BTW, what's with the one dude that just commented "LOL" on your review?
    Trolls gotta troll! lol

Insightful, intelligent comments may just not be his thing.||

Jeez I didn't realize I had dropped all the way into the 70,000 rank, yikes...I've been slacking. I was up in the top 10,000 at one point.

Last edited by dobyblue; 06-20-2018 at 07:24 AM.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-20-2018, 07:40 AM   #18149
    snake911

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thanks. This is kind of what I am leaning towards being the culprit. I was expecting to have to really A/B records against each other for awhile and nitpick it to death, and I was taken aback at how immediately I thought "this sounds like shit..." as soon as I dropped the needle on that first record.

I'm gonna get my preamp back from my buddy and try that through the aux input on the A-20 and see if I notice a difference.
    Or just switch back to the SX. Perfect fix.

Without backreading, what was your reason for moving away from that receiver?
    Old 06-20-2018, 07:50 AM   #18150
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Or just switch back to the SX. Perfect fix.

Without backreading, what was your reason for moving away from that receiver?
    More curiosity than anything. I got a really good price on a refurb'd unit of the A-20 and wanted to give it a whirl because it's got really fantastic reviews just about across the board. Sometimes I feel like my nostalgia for the vintage gear might be clouding my opinion and I wanted to really compare the SX against a decent piece of modern gear just to see.

I was all hyped up to try it out thinking it would at least be comparable if not better, but it sounded so significantly *worse* (on the vinyl anyway) that I was convinced I was doing something wrong.