Grown Up Type Stuff - Page 22 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #631
thebridge15

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Grown Up Type Stuff

ok, I was thinking that, but wasn't sure if that was common

am I to assume the people cleaning will get the $ if I put down a figure on the check that's higher than the quoted price (ie including some amount of tip)

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #632
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

I never trusted the business to pass it on to the actual cleaners, so I always made sure to leave cash for them.
    Old 06-18-2018, 03:49 PM   #633
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebridge15 View Post
    am I to assume the people cleaning will get the $ if I put down a figure on the check that's higher than the quoted price (ie including some amount of tip)
    I would probably assume the opposite. As Metthew mentioned, cash would be best.
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2018, 03:56 PM   #634
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Has anybody here ever used a recruiting agency to find a job? I want to stay in the industry I知 in, but am having trouble getting a promotion. Somebody else who could help tailor my resume and help me find jobs I知 qualified and could reasonably take would be a help but I assume they charge a fee or something? I致e never used one.
    Old 06-18-2018, 03:57 PM   #635
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

My Tour Central Stats

If you like the person cleaning your home, try to hire them independently. Most of the cleaning services pay them minimum wage.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2018, 03:58 PM   #636
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
    Has anybody here ever used a recruiting agency to find a job? I want to stay in the industry I知 in, but am having trouble getting a promotion. Somebody else who could help tailor my resume and help me find jobs I知 qualified and could reasonably take would be a help but I assume they charge a fee or something? I致e never used one.
    In the energy business, you post your resume and recruits find you if they think you are a good fit for the job. I think it is difficult to hire an agency to look for a job for you.
    Old 06-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #637
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Most recruting agencies will work for you for free because they get paid from prospective employers.
    Old 06-18-2018, 05:40 PM   #638
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    In the legal industry, recruiters are assholes. I致e had a lot of bad experiences with them. Many of them aren稚 looking out for your best interest and are only chasing a placement commission, since they have very high quotas to hit.
    Old 06-18-2018, 05:52 PM   #639
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

The few people I know that have used one had a lot of success but these people were in sales

They weren稚 charged a fee.

My yea working for one blows and the commission is hard to hit and you have to call people who are working at their jobs to ask them if they are looking for a new job....
    Old 06-18-2018, 06:21 PM   #640
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I致e seen a lot of casting couch videos. I知 guessing the same thing?

This town is nuts, my kind of place. I don't never ever want to leave....
    Climb2safety is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #641
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    In the legal industry, recruiters are assholes. I致e had a lot of bad experiences with them. Many of them aren稚 looking out for your best interest and are only chasing a placement commission, since they have very high quotas to hit.
    Yeah this is what I'm most worried about. I don't want to be stuck into something or be offered x, y, & z just because they're looking out for their numbers.
    Old 06-18-2018, 07:24 PM   #642
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Climb2safety View Post
    I致e seen a lot of casting couch videos. I知 guessing the same thing?
    I'm... not so sure.
    Old 06-18-2018, 07:37 PM   #643
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    In the legal industry, recruiters are assholes. I’ve had a lot of bad experiences with them. Many of them aren’t looking out for your best interest and are only chasing a placement commission, since they have very high quotas to hit.
    Recruiters arent much better in the banking industry. Just more "nice" about pressuring people so they make their numbers.

What an oversaturated industry by the way. How many f'ing recruiters could there be? I would conservatively estimate that Ive been called on by 30+ different recruiters. Many are from the same agencies, from the year before or whatever so Im guessing there is a huge flameout rate.

But damn, its always someone different. And bc of that, I have really sussed out how to be a good one vs a bad ones.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert

Last edited by Tiduwho; 06-18-2018 at 07:42 PM.
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2018, 07:45 PM   #644
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

^Do not call my company bank line pretending you are a potential customer, you stupid asshole! If you are trying to deceive me just to get on the phone with me, fuck you.

ISO: WIY? thread

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-19-2018, 03:31 AM   #645
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I've been in the Talent Acquisition business for about 8 years now; starting as a corporate recruiter, and most of these accusations are correct To recruiters defense though, it's a very cutthroat business making commission so think of a recruiter like a used car salesman. do your research on the agency, the job, and the company you're being pitched and you'll be fine.
    Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-19-2018, 05:58 AM   #646
    mandy18

Shows Seen: 55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebridge15 View Post
    if you hire a cleaning service, and they charge X amount (assumed you're leaving a check or cash for them), are you or are you not expected to tip on top of that?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothG View Post
    Depends on what they are cleaning and for how long, but I would say yes, some sort of tip would be appropriate.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    I would def tip someone cleaning my place.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    If you like the person cleaning your home, try to hire them independently. Most of the cleaning services pay them minimum wage.
    We have 2 people that come every Monday & Friday.
    I do not tip each time. They get a large Christmas tip, and every so often I'll give them extra. Also, if I ask them to do something out of the ordinary (i.e. not on their normal cleaning rotation), I'll throw them extra. I will also throw them extra if our house is messy. But, I don't tip them twice / week every single week.

We used to have an independent person - but she sucked.
    I haven't met the 2 new ladies, but they are awesome. They don't speak English, so I'm fairly certain we're probably using people that may be undocumented. Some guy drops them off & picks them up, so I have no idea if he's giving them like $1, so when I give them extra, I give it directly to them (well, I don't - I'm never home when they clean. My husband will give them the extra directly).
    mandy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-19-2018, 06:09 AM   #647
    thebridge15

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    I never trusted the business to pass it on to the actual cleaners, so I always made sure to leave cash for them.
    Quote:
    I would probably assume the opposite. As Metthew mentioned, cash would be best.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    good to know, thanks

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-19-2018, 02:50 PM   #648
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

A friend of mine's brother committed suicide a little less than a year ago. Recently, on her bithday, the mother attempted suicide. Poor family. I can't even imagine.
    Old 06-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #649
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I signed up for LinkedIn Premium and recruiters find me. Not a week goes by where I am not contacted at least 5-7 times.

I am casually looking for a new opportunity (the perfect opportunity hopefully will arise someday) and its gotten me 12 interviews this year.
    Old 06-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #650
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    A friend of mine's brother committed suicide a little less than a year ago. Recently, on her bithday, the mother attempted suicide. Poor family. I can't even imagine.
    Not even close to the same thing but I just found out this past weekend that the sister of a childhood friend had passed away at the age of 39 due to complications from lap-band surgery back around Memorial Day. She had two siblings, one of which was Downs and he passed away 25 years ago or so. So now this guy I knew lost both of his siblings and his parents lost 2 of their 3 kids before the age of 40.

Your "Poor family. I can't even imagine." comment reminded me of it.
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #651
    mandy18

Shows Seen: 55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    Not even close to the same thing but I just found out this past weekend that the sister of a childhood friend had passed away at the age of 39 due to complications from lap-band surgery back around Memorial Day. She had two siblings, one of which was Downs and he passed away 25 years ago or so. So now this guy I knew lost both of his siblings and his parents lost 2 of their 3 kids before the age of 40.

Your "Poor family. I can't even imagine." comment reminded me of it.
    A family in my parents town - a few years ago, the mother shot & killed the husband while their 2 children were in the home. The kids are now 16 & 9 and live with their grandmother. On Sunday (father's day), the 16 year old boy killed himself.

So, now the 9 year old lost her father, her brother & her mother is in jail.
    I can't even imagine.
    mandy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-16-2018, 06:39 AM   #652
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

My Tour Central Stats

so I have a fairly old AC unit at my condo, I'm pretty sure it's still the original one from like 1989. I've had a few issues with it each summer (one summer it went out completely, and another summer some switch inside stopped working or something). long story short, I'm not financially ready to buy a new one yet even though that's ultimately what I'll have to do at some point. anyway, so the company I use is called service experts and they called me about coming out to do a summer maintenance check for $40, and I'm wondering if you guys think it's worth it. on one hand, I'd like to make sure everything is good, but on the other hand I don't want to have to pay $40 if everything is fine, or they tell me something else is wrong or that I need a new one. at the end of the day $40 isn't that bad, but it also seems like it could be pointless.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-16-2018, 06:49 AM   #653
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

It could probably use some freon, so I'd say it'd be worth it for a service call. Then again, I cannot stand the heat.
    Old 07-16-2018, 06:53 AM   #654
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

My Tour Central Stats

They will tell you something else is wrong/and or that you need a new one. That's why they do these checks.

But you don't have to do whatever they recommend.

If it's low on freon, as Roger mentioned, that would be worth having them come out to do. When they do the maintenance thing on mine, they also blow out the drains, which is worth it for me as drain clogs cause a safety switch to trip and the AC to stop working.
    Old 07-16-2018, 07:10 AM   #655
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Note, freon not included in that price.
    Old 07-16-2018, 07:26 AM   #656
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 View Post
    so I have a fairly old AC unit at my condo, I'm pretty sure it's still the original one from like 1989. I've had a few issues with it each summer (one summer it went out completely, and another summer some switch inside stopped working or something). long story short, I'm not financially ready to buy a new one yet even though that's ultimately what I'll have to do at some point. anyway, so the company I use is called service experts and they called me about coming out to do a summer maintenance check for $40, and I'm wondering if you guys think it's worth it. on one hand, I'd like to make sure everything is good, but on the other hand I don't want to have to pay $40 if everything is fine, or they tell me something else is wrong or that I need a new one. at the end of the day $40 isn't that bad, but it also seems like it could be pointless.
    Likely a leak somewhere. If you know you need a new unit but don't want to replace it now, just have them pump it full of Freon and you'll be fine through the summer.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-16-2018, 07:29 AM   #657
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

My Tour Central Stats

nice, thanks guys. how long does freon last? they pumped it full of freon 2 summers ago the last time it went out.

and yeah, freon gonna cost me too haha

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-16-2018, 07:45 AM   #658
    Gene Parmesan

Shows Seen: 75

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 View Post
    nice, thanks guys. how long does freon last? they pumped it full of freon 2 summers ago the last time it went out.
    and yeah, freon gonna cost me too haha
    Probably less than 2 years, since leaks get worse not better. If you don't have a leak, the freon should last forever.
    Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #659
    Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Speaking of a/c, the a/c in my car stopped working. The dealership wanted $2K to fix it, plus the recommended another $1K in services (brakes, transmission fluid flush etc..). I promptly told them to fuck off.
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #660
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

you're gonna get your car repaired at a dealership, huh. why not just flush your money down the toilet!
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote