Poll: Belly Belly Nice - Page 8 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: How good of a song is Belly Belly Nice?
It's Great! 249 36.40%
It's a good song 317 46.35%
I'm on the fence 79 11.55%
It is a bad song 20 2.92%
This album is fucked 19 2.78%
Voters: 684. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #211
jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Poll: Belly Belly Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
I think it's lyrically embarrassing. It's a half assed effort with more rehashed Dave lyrics and ideas in just a different way. It feels like the real life version of that song at the beginning of Forgetting Sarah Marshall. "We gotta dooooo something..." "We gotta do much more than believe if we wanna see the world change..."

It's garbage. Adding the children's chorus at the end is both cliche and doesn't add anything to the song...if anything, it takes away from it. Musically it's ok, but everyone is sitting there saying it's an old school DMB riff...no, it's not. Gaucho is no where near the same type of riff like The Stone, Rhyme and Reason, Satellite, etc. It reminds me a lot more of Cornbread as far as a riff goes.

It's musically in the same league as Shake Me and Funny to me, but with even worse lyrics. Honestly, I think it's the worst lyrics Dave has come up with, right along with Blackjack and Can't Stop.

Sweet is cliche and boring. I can't stake the ukulele, and think it's a cop out instrument. It's a boring chord progression, and again, lyrically it's crap. Especially when comparing it to how good he used to be at writing slow, sweet songs. There's no songwriting substance. It's just very on the surface and carries no depth.
What theme in sweet's lyrics is any more cliche than 3/4 of the songs Dave Matthews has written? And I don't mean that as an insult to Dave...it could be argued most pop music is about "cliche" themes. But the fact is, Dave has always written about "cliche" subject matter. And honestly, literally only the first two lines are actually about his son learning to swim. The pool struggle becomes purely a metaphor after that.

Dave's bad cliches are contained in songs like steady as we go (some lines are verbatim cliche phrases) or everybody wake up or even Gaucho's chorus. Sweet feels personal and relatable, and it comes through pretty clearly. It's definitely near the bottom of the new tunes, but certainly not because of the lyrics.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #212
    warehouse23

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whobrey101 View Post
    I hope belly jelly isn't what I think it is.
    when he has coffee and toast with belly jelly, he doesn't need to wait to lick her from her back to her belly.
    warehouse23 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #213
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I'm gonna go head and say that Belly Belly Nice is my favorite song this band has made since tLWS, it is that good to me . The fact that it already sounds amazing live can only mean great things for the studio cut and future (hopefully jammed out) versions.
    Bluewater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #214
    Down2Nothing34

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Honestly, I think that people need to stop trying to draw comparisons to the "Big 3". It's not gonna happen. Dave is in a different stage of his life, so expecting the deep, often existential and complex lyrics is unreasonable. His writing seems to be focused on the condition of the world his children are growing up in, and that is fine. There is Dave's writing before Anne's murder, after her murder, and then after he was married and had children. This song is not a WWYS. The only similarity I see at all - and probably the one that causes people to immediately call it a WWYS - is the Jack and Jill line (which I, personally, am not crazy about).

My point, really, is that the new songs are a reflection of Dave's current life. When this band is finally done and we can go back and listen to all the albums from start to finish, I think they will tell a very interesting tale of a complex man's life. From a curious and joyful young man, through some tragic life events, to a family man. I think it will be pretty exceptional and, if you look at it like that, I think you will be able to appreciate it better.

You don't have to like the new stuff, and lately I'm often underwhelmed, but you can try to understand where it is coming from.
    Down2Nothing34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #215
    Jworley98

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Down2Nothing34 View Post
    Honestly, I think that people need to stop trying to draw comparisons to the "Big 3". It's not gonna happen. Dave is in a different stage of his life, so expecting the deep, often existential and complex lyrics is unreasonable. His writing seems to be focused on the condition of the world his children are growing up in, and that is fine. There is Dave's writing before Anne's murder, after her murder, and then after he was married and had children. This song is not a WWYS. The only similarity I see at all - and probably the one that causes people to immediately call it a WWYS - is the Jack and Jill line (which I, personally, am not crazy about).

My point, really, is that the new songs are a reflection of Dave's current life. When this band is finally done and we can go back and listen to all the albums from start to finish, I think they will tell a very interesting tale of a complex man's life. From a curious and joyful young man, through some tragic life events, to a family man. I think it will be pretty exceptional and, if you look at it like that, I think you will be able to appreciate it better.

You don't have to like the new stuff, and lately I'm often underwhelmed, but you can try to understand where it is coming from.

This album doesn't have to sound like any of the "big 3" to be as good as them. In fact, why would you want it to? They've been there and done that. The great thing about this band is that they are constantly changing things up. This song is just suppose to be fun and goofy. The music is fantastic and the lyrics fit the purpose of the song. BTW there are many songs that are on the "big 3" albums that have really goofy lyrics. I think you are overrating some of the earlier songs and not giving the new ones a chance, simply because they're new.

Last edited by Jworley98; 07-17-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    Jworley98 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #216
    Down2Nothing34

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jworley98 View Post
    This album doesn't have to sound like any of the "big 3" to be as good as them. In fact, why would you want it to? They've been there and done that. The great thing about this band is that they are constantly changing things up. This song is just suppose to be fun and goofy. The music is fantastic and the lyrics fit the purpose of the song. BTW there are many songs that are on the "big 3" albums that have really goofy lyrics. I think you are overrating some of the earlier songs and not giving the new ones a chance, simply because they're new.
    I don't think you completely understood my post. I never, at any point, said that I want this album to sound like the Big 3. In fact, I said it is unreasonable to compare it to the Big 3. I agree that they need to change things up, and actually said that I think if you look at the progression of Dave's life, you can appreciate that.

Also, I never said that there aren't songs on the first 3 albums with goofy, throwaway lyrics, nor did I rate any song. I simply acknowledged that Dave's writing has changed and stated that when you sit back and look at the band's work as a whole, you will be able to appreciate it. Nothing more.
    Down2Nothing34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #217
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jworley98 View Post
    Excellent post and so true Nothing on BTCS sounds like anything on Crash or UTTAD
    Old 07-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #218
    sheldonlevene
    Mr. 1k

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

When people blame daves writing on his lot/place in life I have to laugh. Was he not happily married when he wrote some devil? A lyrically strong album. Arent crash and crush about his wife? To whom he's still with?
    sheldonlevene is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #219
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheldonlevene View Post
    When people blame daves writing on his lot/place in life I have to laugh. Was he not happily married when he wrote some devil? A lyrically strong album. Arent crash and crush about his wife? To whom he's still with?
    I don't find Some Devil to be that deep lyrically. Dont get me wrong its great but the lyrics were never the driving force for me. As for crash and crush he was younger and on alot of drugs, plain and simple.

Last edited by Bluewater21; 07-17-2012 at 08:15 PM.
    Old 07-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #220
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheldonlevene View Post
    um, a persons current state has a huge influence of whats written lyrically.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #221
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluewater21 View Post
    Lyrically may not be up to your standards
    ill listen to it on the record and get back to you.

dont care to download or listen to a current show.
    Old 07-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #222
    bubba40

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    ill listen to it on the record and get back to you.

dont care to download or listen to a current show.
    Why's that? (I'm not being a jackass- just genuinely curious. You're one of my favorite posters to read, because you're interesting. We often disagree, but whatever )
    bubba40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #223
    themaker111
    I think I can

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Nothing on BTCS sounds like anything on Crash or UTTAD
    I've been saying this for years! Nice to finally see some validation!
    themaker111 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #224
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bubba40 View Post
    Why's that? (I'm not being a jackass- just genuinely curious. You're one of my favorite posters to read, because you're interesting. We often disagree, but whatever )
    Disconnected.

I find myself not caring
    Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #225
    dontburnthe_pig
    ja-nee

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    um, a persons current state has a huge influence of whats written lyrically.
    i don't think this is entirely correct. sure, it has somewhat of an influence. but what you're saying doesn't give much credit to individual imagination. i don't think people write exclusively about particular time in their lives. i just don't think it's entirely fair, you know?
    dontburnthe_pig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #226
    DMBartenderWI
    God is not above you

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Just gave it another listen, Copperpot's vid on youtube. I'm finally sold on it. It's fun, it's dirty, it's funky.
    DMBartenderWI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2012, 12:15 AM   #227
    DMBartenderWI
    God is not above you

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whobrey101 View Post
    I hope belly jelly isn't what I think it is.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by warehouse23 View Post
    when he has coffee and toast with belly jelly, he doesn't need to wait to lick her from her back to her belly.
    Sigged for the lulz.
    DMBartenderWI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #228
    john.cobb4
    dictionary

Shows Seen: 34

My Tour Central Stats

I like this song much better than 'Gaucho'...
    Old 07-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #229
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by john.cobb4 View Post
    I like this song much better than 'Gaucho'...
    Belly Belly Nice IMO is the best song the band has written since tLWS
    Old 07-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #230
    gakm7

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Most certainly the catchiest melody they've written since maybe even the late 90's, that's for sure.
    gakm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #231
    pathetic
    Liberate a solid set!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Belly Belly Nice IMO is the best song the band has written since tLWS
    seriously?
    pathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #232
    trippinchad
    Nothing But Beard

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I'd rather have these lyrics than Gaucho (which are just embarrassing to listen to)...

This song is fine. It's fun and people will like it.

#NATITUDE
    trippinchad is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #233
    bigbeartilidie

Shows Seen: 111

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

I've finally gave it enough listens to have an opinion. I like it, has some energy and a nice groove. Hook is really catchy. Lyrically I think it is fine too for what it is (with the exception of the Jack and Jill part which I wish they had omitted)
    Old 07-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #234
    Seanieb
    Tibity

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Just listened to the 7/14 version, very nice song.

And was that a Boyd solo in a NEW song?!?!?!?!

edit: I was an "on the fence" vote. Much more positive now.
    Seanieb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #235
    SpotlightEyes
    Life is so peachy

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    I think it's lyrically embarrassing. It's a half assed effort with more rehashed Dave lyrics and ideas in just a different way. It feels like the real life version of that song at the beginning of Forgetting Sarah Marshall. "We gotta dooooo something..." "We gotta do much more than believe if we wanna see the world change..."

It's garbage. Adding the children's chorus at the end is both cliche and doesn't add anything to the song...if anything, it takes away from it. Musically it's ok, but everyone is sitting there saying it's an old school DMB riff...no, it's not. Gaucho is no where near the same type of riff like The Stone, Rhyme and Reason, Satellite, etc. It reminds me a lot more of Cornbread as far as a riff goes.

It's musically in the same league as Shake Me and Funny to me, but with even worse lyrics. Honestly, I think it's the worst lyrics Dave has come up with, right along with Blackjack and Can't Stop.

Sweet is cliche and boring. I can't stake the ukulele, and think it's a cop out instrument. It's a boring chord progression, and again, lyrically it's crap. Especially when comparing it to how good he used to be at writing slow, sweet songs. There's no songwriting substance. It's just very on the surface and carries no depth.
    You're wrong, and whats worse, you're a hypocrite.
    Old 07-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #236
    thebridge15

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotlightEyes View Post
    You're wrong, and whats worse, you're a hypocrite.
    How can someone's detailed opinion be wrong?

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #237
    SpotlightEyes
    Life is so peachy

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebridge15 View Post
    How can someone's detailed opinion be wrong?
    He uses a lot of adjectives to describe. All of them are wrong. That's how.
    Old 07-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #238
    thebridge15

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This makes no sense.

Why does it offend you so much if someone doesn't like a song?

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #239
    killerangel

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    well that settles that...
    killerangel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #240
    pathetic
    Liberate a solid set!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by killerangel View Post
    well that settles that...