The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB - Page 200 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #5971
FeelingGood
Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
Great pick. Second time I've watched this and could easily see her on stage every night.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #5972
    coolhotwaves
    is classic

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    Absolutely want a violin back in this band. At this point, now that Boyd is already gone, it'd be better, IMO, if they just brought in someone else. Even if he clears his name, that was quite clearly not the only issues prompting his departure.
    It’s a gaping hole. I just can’t imagine that they find the violin that easy to nix out of their sound. So many songs practically depend on it at this point.
    coolhotwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2018, 06:17 AM   #5973
    dmbbearcat

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

After finally seeing them in person on this tour last night, yes, they need a violin. And Buddy can take a hike.
    dmbbearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2018, 06:53 AM   #5974
    coolhotwaves
    is classic

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbbearcat View Post
    After finally seeing them in person on this tour last night, yes, they need a violin. And Buddy can take a hike.
    I haven’t seen the band in person this tour, but the streams tell me that you’re spot on. Why they thought a piano would be a better fit than a violin I will never know.
    coolhotwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2018, 07:10 AM   #5975
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolhotwaves View Post
    I haven’t seen the band in person this tour, but the streams tell me that you’re spot on. Why they thought a piano would be a better fit than a violin I will never know.
    This may be the right take, however, if you focus on Dave's interaction between himself, Buddy and Carter, it's crystal clear he's smitten with his choice of keyboard player. Not good news for those not necessarily enamored with Buddy.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:15 AM   #5976
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Conceptually, having keys isn’t a problem for me. But no matter what or who is on stage... Not having a violin is.
    Old 07-22-2018, 08:22 AM   #5977
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Heyberto View Post
    Conceptually, having keys isn’t a problem for me. But no matter what or who is on stage... Not having a violin is.
    I'm in this camp. But I better not hear anymore church organ out of this guy or my opinion is going to turn on a dime.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:47 AM   #5978
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FeelingGood View Post
    I'm in this camp. But I better not hear anymore church organ out of this guy or my opinion is going to turn on a dime.

Lol. Sounds like a self fulfilling prognostication! No avoiding it!
    Old 07-22-2018, 01:15 PM   #5979
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    just curious- would it be easier for an experienced keyboardist to jump into the mix at the last minute, or a experienced violinist?

I would think a keyboardist could start jamming easier, but maybe im totally wrong.
    dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2018, 01:58 PM   #5980
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dre2142 View Post
    just curious- would it be easier for an experienced keyboardist to jump into the mix at the last minute, or a experienced violinist?

I would think a keyboardist could start jamming easier, but maybe im totally wrong.
    I don’t know what’s easier, but this wasn’t last minute, so it’s a moot point. They knew in February.
    Old 07-22-2018, 01:58 PM   #5981
    SeeMoreDMB

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

You're right. And also between the B3, Rhodes, and Stage Custom that Buddy uses there are a huge amount of tonal options to fill the sound out. It's also nice seeing Buddy want to be on stage and put his heart into it, unlike Boyd who clearly could have given a fuck for the past ten years or so. I think they're doing just fine without a voilin.
    SeeMoreDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2018, 02:05 PM   #5982
    TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I think DMB is best with violin but I like Buddy a lot.
    Old 07-22-2018, 02:08 PM   #5983
    bfiddle27

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

You are exactly correct… I can tell you as a musician that even if they knew in February that was not enough time to get a violin into the mix versus an experienced stellar talented keyboard player and someone with as good as ears as buddy strong

And I has I and others have been saying… Dave was over boyds playing and guessing over the violin Long before as has been evident in there on stage mixing of the violin and their last three albums… Therefore when they needed another element they probably reflected how good it sounded when Butch was part of the mix and how quickly a keyboard player could add a lot of depth versus a violin player adding a lot of depth which they could do but it would take much longer time… Don't forget that buddy also sings as well including great harmony chemistry with Carter… Boys singing voice was atrocious and they literally needed him in every live Trac when he tried to sing

Last edited by bfiddle27; 07-22-2018 at 02:10 PM.
    bfiddle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #5984
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Completely disagree. You caught the worst set of the tour, dont let that factor into your opinion of Buddy. He's a phenomenal addition and I'm looking forward to seeing him grow with the band in the years to come if he chooses to stay.

They sound phenomenal in 2018. I thoroughly enjoyed my 4 shows. Cant wait for the fall.
    Old 07-22-2018, 02:50 PM   #5985
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeeMoreDMB View Post
    You're right. And also between the B3, Rhodes, and Stage Custom that Buddy uses there are a huge amount of tonal options to fill the sound out. It's also nice seeing Buddy want to be on stage and put his heart into it, unlike Boyd who clearly could have given a fuck for the past ten years or so. I think they're doing just fine without a voilin.
    Problem is... none of those are the violin. We will see when I attend a show next week. But there are key songs that having a keyboardist to round out the sound on, isn’t enough. Having heard Ants and Pig. I’m not very excited about how it’s working out without a violin.
    Old 07-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #5986
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    Completely disagree. You caught the worst set of the tour, dont let that factor into your opinion of Buddy. He's a phenomenal addition and I'm looking forward to seeing him grow with the band in the years to come if he chooses to stay.

They sound phenomenal in 2018. I thoroughly enjoyed my 4 shows. Cant wait for the fall.
    I don’t know why it’s a discussion about the addition of a keyboardist at all. That’s not the issue. It’s the drastic change in the sound of this band by not replacing a key element. They wanted Boyd out of new songs? No problem. Too problematic to get a violin player up to snuff on all songs? Bring them out and have them focus on older material and off of songs that are newer. Just a poor decision, IMO. The sample size is big enough now to really see how it’s working out.
    Old 07-22-2018, 02:57 PM   #5987
    SeeMoreDMB

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Problem is... none of those are the violin. We will see when I attend a show next week. But there are key songs that having a keyboardist to round out the sound on, isn’t enough. Having heard Ants and Pig. I’m not very excited about how it’s working out without a violin.
    There will absolutely be points where you think, damn there's supposed to be violin there, but the best advice I can offer is to not seek out the parts that are missing voilin and embrace the new sound and energy they have. It is different, but very much the same. I personally love how old songs now have a bit of a new aound; went to Hartford and both nights at SPAC and really had an amazing time. It's not DMB from 20 years ago, but they're really pushing each other to play their asses off and have fun which to me outweighs the missing voilin. It's all subjective, and I'll say when Boyd announced he was leaving I was really fucking bummed, that all changed after actually going to a show. Hope you enjoy!
    SeeMoreDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2018, 02:58 PM   #5988
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don’t know why it’s a discussion about the addition of a keyboardist at all. That’s not the issue. It’s the drastic change in the sound of this band by not replacing a key element. They wanted Boyd out of new songs? No problem. Too problematic to get a violin player up to snuff on all songs? Bring them out and have them focus on older material and off of songs that are newer. Just a poor decision, IMO. The sample size is big enough now to really see how it’s working out.
    I think Dave wanted to move away from the original sound. I think it's more than just no violin on CT, its they dont want that sound moving forward after years of havi.g to cover for it they made a creative change and went with the keys.

I agree. The sample size is big enough and it's a good decision. They sound great and most of the classics sound really good in their new form.
    Old 07-22-2018, 03:05 PM   #5989
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeeMoreDMB View Post
    There will absolutely be points where you think, damn there's supposed to be violin there, but the best advice I can offer is to not seek out the parts that are missing voilin and embrace the new sound and energy they have. It is different, but very much the same. I personally love how old songs now have a bit of a new aound; went to Hartford and both nights at SPAC and really had an amazing time. It's not DMB from 20 years ago, but they're really pushing each other to play their asses off and have fun which to me outweighs the missing voilin. It's all subjective, and I'll say when Boyd announced he was leaving I was really fucking bummed, that all changed after actually going to a show. Hope you enjoy!
    Me too. I’m as open as I can be, but I’ve listened enough to know that this doesn’t sound like the DMB I’ve loved anymore. I never expect a band to sit still, but to drop what makes you unique in favor of something that’s more mainstream. Just hasn’t worked for me. It’s not a train wreck, but it’s homogenized, IMO. The marginalization and relegation of the sax to a component of a horn section was really the first step of this... so it’s not just losing The violin. At least with the horns, they’ve preserved their roles on the old songs.
    Old 07-22-2018, 03:09 PM   #5990
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think Dave wanted to move away from the original sound. I think it's more than just no violin on CT, its they dont want that sound moving forward after years of havi.g to cover for it they made a creative change and went with the keys.

I agree. The sample size is big enough and it's a good decision. They sound great and most of the classics sound really good in their new form.
    Yeah, I disagree. I get the moving in a new direction thing and all, but covering for that part of the sound love with other instruments just isn’t working. To think they couldn’t do with a violin going forward is just stupid whatever their reasoning is. They sound more like a backing band with Dave fronting them, playing DMB.. than they actually sound like DMB.
    Old 07-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #5991
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Me too. I’m as open as I can be, but I’ve listened enough to know that this doesn’t sound like the DMB I’ve loved anymore. I never expect a band to sit still, but to drop what makes you unique in favor of something that’s more mainstream. Just hasn’t worked for me. It’s not a train wreck, but it’s homogenized, IMO. The marginalization and relegation of the sax to a component of a horn section was really the first step of this... so it’s not just losing The violin. At least with the horns, they’ve preserved their roles on the old songs.
    Quote:
    Yeah, I disagree. I get the moving in a new direction thing and all, but covering for that part of the sound love with other instruments just isn’t working. To think they couldn’t do with a violin going forward is just stupid whatever their reasoning is. They sound more like a backing band with Dave fronting them, playing DMB.. than they actually sound like DMB.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:09 AM   #5992
    BringBackButchT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bfiddle27 View Post
    You are exactly correct… I can tell you as a musician that even if they knew in February that was not enough time to get a violin into the mix versus an experienced stellar talented keyboard player and someone with as good as ears as buddy strong
    3-4 months is definitely enough time for a professional musician to get a solid grasp of the material. They're in a tougher spot than most with DMB, with a gigantic catalog, different sets ever night and no sheet music to reference, but it's totally doable.
    BringBackButchT is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2018, 09:11 AM   #5993
    dmbbearcat

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

The setlist does not affect my opinion on how they sound - I have never liked DMB with keys, dating back to Butch. Buddy doesn't change my opinion. They need a violin, IMO.
    Old 07-23-2018, 09:11 AM   #5994
    BringBackButchT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Last minute, keyboardist for sure. Not a lot of existing parts that are essential to the song.
    Old 07-23-2018, 09:14 AM   #5995
    dmbbearcat

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BringBackButchT View Post
    3-4 months is definitely enough time for a professional musician to get a solid grasp of the material. They're in a tougher spot than most with DMB, with a gigantic catalog, different sets ever night and no sheet music to reference, but it's totally doable.
    Yeah I've said that they may as well close out 2018 with no violin player, but I think come January 2019 they need to hire someone and tell them they have about 5 months to learn as much as they can. It's not like DMB opens up the catalog a ton anyway.
    Old 07-23-2018, 09:14 AM   #5996
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Exactly. Jeff did it with a day's notice. Granted he's an exceptional musician and player with some familiarity of the catalog when he got there, but it was a crash course and it worked well. To say there isn't a fiddle player out there that couldn't do it with that much lead time just doesn't hold water.
    Old 07-23-2018, 09:20 AM   #5997
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah I've said that they may as well close out 2018 with no violin player, but I think come January 2019 they need to hire someone and tell them they have about 5 months to learn as much as they can. It's not like DMB opens up the catalog a ton anyway.
    Agree completely.

In 2001, Butch was not on stage for every song.. at least to start the tour. The new stuff from ED he left the stage for most of them. As he ramped up he was on more and more. I saw them on May 1 that year, and he wasn't on the road with them. He had some kind of conflict. By June 6, he was with them as they started playing stadiums and that's where I noticed him come on an off.

No reason they couldn't get a violin player up to speed to play only on key songs, and work them in as they learn more.
    Old 07-23-2018, 09:26 AM   #5998
    BringBackButchT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Exactly. Jeff did it with a day's notice. Granted he's an exceptional musician and player with some familiarity of the catalog when he got there, but it was a crash course and it worked well. To say there isn't a fiddle player out there that couldn't do it with that much lead time just doesn't hold water.
    I think Jeff said somewhere it took him about a month straight of working on DMB tunes exclusively for 3-4 hrs a day to get comfortable, which sounds about right for someone at his level.
    Old 07-23-2018, 09:37 AM   #5999
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think Jeff said somewhere it took him about a month straight of working on DMB tunes exclusively for 3-4 hrs a day to get comfortable, which sounds about right for someone at his level.
    As a concert-goer, he appeared put o snuff right away. I was there his first night on stage as Roi's replacement, and he was fantastic. He was wide open. I saw him about a week later, and he had toned it down a few notches..., or perhaps they had toned him down.

The very first song he was on was The Stone, and it remains my favorite live version of the song to this day.
    Old 07-23-2018, 09:43 AM   #6000
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The setlist does not affect my opinion on how they sound - I have never liked DMB with keys, dating back to Butch. Buddy doesn't change my opinion. They need a violin, IMO.
    Interesting and fair.

I never liked Butch, but I'm enjoying Buddy far more than I ever thought I would. I love the sound of a B3 and Rhodes. The other "vintage" electric sounds and synth patches are also fun to hear. But it's really about the player. Butch didn't interest me, while Buddy does.

Six show and I have no issue with what I'm hearing...outside of some of the setlists. I can live w/o the violin. SU and ED songs really need not apply...ever (won't even cherry pick the few I like). Not making each show special from a setlist perspective is a missed opportunity.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote