The Investment Thread (help with savings, stocks, retirement funds, etc.) - Page 175 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-17-2021, 10:25 AM   #5221
Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Investment Thread (help with savings, stocks, retirement funds, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timebomb07 View Post
Class actions aside, CCXI has done quite well since early June. Up around 25-35% with a steady rise. Will play this the opposite of SCYX if given the opportunity and dump most of my shares before their expected FDA decision date of July 7th.
Yeah, I don't have any ORPH stock, but their FDA ruling is expected today. I'll be curious if that actually rises with approval or falls. Seems like "buy on the rumor, sell on the news" really is a common trend. If that happens with ORPH, then I would imagine CCXI does something similar.

That ORPH stock just doesn't make any sense to me. Their product under FDA review right now only treats literally 1800 Americans that have a really rare disease. So if they get approval, then their market size in the US is 1800 people currently. That stock does 60+ million in volume a day with a market cap of over half a billion. SCYX has an FDA-approved product that literally half of the world's population can potentially use (of course not nearly that many actually would need it) and it does less than 1 million in volume a day with a market cap 1/5 the size of ORPH. I'm obviously missing something, but I don't know what.

Last edited by Benny003; 06-17-2021 at 10:29 AM.
Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-17-2021, 09:19 PM   #5222
    snake911

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    What, you don’t automatically buy the long winded conspiracy of “memebetch6969” just because of a username!?
    . Strange but true. And they may be 100% right, but when thats the moniker you self apply... I pretty much have to dismiss you.
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2021, 06:28 AM   #5223
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

ORPH's FDA application was basically rejected last night, so expect that to crater today.
    Old 06-18-2021, 06:50 AM   #5224
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricky towel View Post
    ORPH is up like 70 something percent today.
    Quote:
    I’ll probably sell it all tomorrow.

You sold it all yesterday, correct?

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2021, 07:30 AM   #5225
    ricky towel

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
    You sold it all yesterday, correct?
    Certainly did. 9:50 am. At $16.73.
    ricky towel is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2021, 07:47 AM   #5226
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Very smart. I can't believe that stock hasn't dropped more today even though it's down 42% right now.

Last edited by Benny003; 06-18-2021 at 07:48 AM.
    Old 06-18-2021, 07:55 AM   #5227
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Wow, great job. Buy the rumor, sell (before) the news.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 06-18-2021, 08:16 AM   #5228
    ricky towel

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah I’m glad I didn’t wait.
    ricky towel is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2021, 11:25 AM   #5229
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

everythings down for me today
    Old 06-18-2021, 11:35 AM   #5230
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

YEAH. I'm down 3% on the day and nearly 10% on the week. Roblox mostly.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2021, 08:21 PM   #5231
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

roblox for me, but carnival has taken a shit this week
    Old 06-20-2021, 05:11 AM   #5232
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone here have any experience or knowledge about financial aid? As a teacher, I have a steady income. Are there certain types of debt that will help or hurt when applying for financial aid for college? My house is paid off so I have been considering getting a loan for a desperately needed kitchen renovation. Does that help or hurt? How about car loans? How do they affect aid?
    Old 06-20-2021, 09:23 AM   #5233
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

do you mean how much aid your kid will be eligible for?

None of that stuff really matters as far as I know, it's really all about how much $$ you make. They calculate your "expected contribution" to your kid's education, which is bullshit because it doesn't mean you can or will pay that much toward it
    Old 06-21-2021, 09:00 AM   #5234
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

I'll say this, investing in individual stocks has taught me lessons that I need to learn patience and discipline. Just trying to look on the bright side. I'm going to try just sitting back and waiting for what I have to do what it's going to do rather than trying to read into every little movement on a daily basis.
    Old 06-21-2021, 01:58 PM   #5235
    kydmb99
    Jorts

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    I'll say this, investing in individual stocks has taught me lessons that I need to learn patience and discipline. Just trying to look on the bright side. I'm going to try just sitting back and waiting for what I have to do what it's going to do rather than trying to read into every little movement on a daily basis.
    Yep. Learning that as well. Got to play the long game.
    kydmb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2021, 07:01 AM   #5236
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Ok, crypto is down 60-70% from highs a couple months ago, so I'm going to take a look and buy. I've setup a Coinbase account.

What are some Coins to look at here during this firesale? I bought some ALGO, XLM, ADA, MATIC so far.

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 06-22-2021, 07:25 AM   #5237
    kydmb99
    Jorts

My Tour Central Stats

I guess it’s considered to be the “degen” platform but after messing with various platforms I think I like RobinHood the best so far
    Old 06-22-2021, 07:29 AM   #5238
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Robinhood used to be considered the "degen" platform; now any true degenerate has long jumped ship. Robinhood, while pretty, is now just considered the "Shitadel Shill" platform.

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 06-22-2021, 07:33 AM   #5239
    kydmb99
    Jorts

My Tour Central Stats

I guess but so far I do prefer the way it’s laid out compared to both Fidelity and TD Ameritrade. May change in time but it suits my eye better so far.
    Old 06-22-2021, 07:46 AM   #5240
    neumdogg
    Happy birthday, Paulie!

Shows Seen: 69

My Tour Central Stats

50 more shares of AMC. Wondering when to dump them.
    neumdogg is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2021, 07:53 AM   #5241
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

I threw a few bucks into the top 10 most highly held coins on Coinbase. I'm sure there's a reason most are top 10, and that they should rebound in time. Will probably set and forget now. *shrug*

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 06-22-2021, 08:06 AM   #5242
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

I wish someone would have told me that SCYX would be worth less after FDA approval than what I originally bought in at 1.5 months before FDA approval. I would have just waited until now to buy all my shares.
    Old 06-22-2021, 09:01 AM   #5243
    Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I forgot a had a buy set for $7.00

Whoops!
    Timebomb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2021, 10:41 AM   #5244
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

My Tour Central Stats

someone help me make sure I am understanding something regarding my fiancee's 401k plan at work - she's an associate dentist and the owner of the practice is starting a new 401k structure that includes profit sharing contributions for employees - the owner told my fiancee that she can hold back a percentage/dollar amount of her existing salary to go into the profit sharing portion of the 401k.

my immediate thought is that's not really a "net" or "new" benefit to my fiancee because she's not getting any sort of pay bump. shouldn't the owner be offering this contribution amount on top of her existing salary? it's my understanding that employer profit sharing contributions come from the EMPLOYER and the company profits, not her salary.

Certainly I understand that employers will choose to offer a certain amount of overall salary as profit match, but she's dressing it up as if it's some sort of new benefit.

am I thinking about this correctly?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2021, 10:56 AM   #5245
    kydmb99
    Jorts

My Tour Central Stats

MRNA going to the moon. Want to add some more but may wait to see if it dips. They have some pretty promising long term upside I think.
    Old 06-22-2021, 11:05 AM   #5246
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 View Post
    someone help me make sure I am understanding something regarding my fiancee's 401k plan at work - she's an associate dentist and the owner of the practice is starting a new 401k structure that includes profit sharing contributions for employees - the owner told my fiancee that she can hold back a percentage/dollar amount of her existing salary to go into the profit sharing portion of the 401k.

my immediate thought is that's not really a "net" or "new" benefit to my fiancee because she's not getting any sort of pay bump. shouldn't the owner be offering this contribution amount on top of her existing salary? it's my understanding that employer profit sharing contributions come from the EMPLOYER and the company profits, not her salary.

Certainly I understand that employers will choose to offer a certain amount of overall salary as profit match, but she's dressing it up as if it's some sort of new benefit.

am I thinking about this correctly?
    A little confusing. To clarify:

1. What is the current 401k situation? Is she able to contribute just herself? Is there an employer match?

2. Is the question about how much she is contributing really a parameter test? As in, just like a match, if she is not contributing X% to the plan, she will not be eligible for the profit sharing program?

My understanding:

The choice of how much is contributed is on the employer, so to compare apples to apples, we would only be talking about the "match" portion of a 401k.

Instead of a match where an employer is required to match up to 6% or whatever, the employer is the one in charge of how much they dole out. They can decide to pay more or less during the year based on profitability overall, or in offering different % amounts to different employee groups. The upper limit is MUCH higher though, so they can really put in a lot of money if needed to be competitive for employees.

- Stephen Colbert

Last edited by Tiduwho; 06-22-2021 at 11:09 AM.
    Old 06-22-2021, 11:14 AM   #5247
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    A little confusing. To clarify:

1. What is the current 401k situation? Is she able to contribute just herself? Is there an employer match?

2. Is the question about how much she is contributing really a parameter test? As in, just like a match, if she is not contributing X% to the plan, she will not be eligible for the profit sharing program?

My understanding:

The choice of how much is contributed is on the employer, so to compare apples to apples, we would only be talking about the "match" portion of a 401k.

Instead of a match where an employer is required to match up to 6% or whatever, the employer is the one in charge of how much they dole out. They can decide to pay more or less during the year based on profitability overall, or in offering different % amounts to different employee groups.
    1. sort of complicated answer. my fiancee just became eligible for 401k contributions because the employer requires you to be working for 1 year at the practice. but she has not contributed anything to the 401k plan yet, and now the structure is changing to include profit-sharing contributions, which there weren't before. there was also no employer match with the previous structure, or with the new structure.

2. this I am unclear on. I assume she'll be able to contribute however much she wants up to $19,500 a year as an employee. then I would assume she should also be able to contribute an X% or X dollar amount for profit sharing contributions, but I feel like the profit sharing contribution should come directly from her employer, and not her existing salary (or if it comes from her existing salary, she should get a pay bump in the amount the employer decides to be able to contribute to profit sharing)

Quote:

Last edited by TheLastStop123; 06-22-2021 at 11:15 AM.
    Old 06-22-2021, 11:21 AM   #5248
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 View Post
    1. sort of complicated answer. my fiancee just became eligible for 401k contributions because the employer requires you to be working for 1 year at the practice. but she has not contributed anything to the 401k plan yet, and now the structure is changing to include profit-sharing contributions, which there weren't before. there was also no employer match with the previous structure, or with the new structure.

2. this I am unclear on. I assume she'll be able to contribute however much she wants up to $19,500 a year as an employee. then I would assume she should also be able to contribute an X% or X dollar amount for profit sharing contributions, but I feel like the profit sharing contribution should come directly from her employer, and not her existing salary (or if it comes from her existing salary, she should get a pay bump in the amount the employer decides to be able to contribute to profit sharing)
    This is the part that seems backwards. She isn't the one that decides X% or X dollar amount, the employer is the one that decides...the concept of choosing your amount of salary to be included towards an employer reward is the concept of a Match program, not profit sharing.

In profit sharing, the employer may have a tough year and decide "sorry guys, 1% of your salary is our total contribution to your profit sharing this year", when if there was a Match program instead, anyone that met the parameters for 6% match, the employer has to pay out 6%. So using the profit sharing model allows them big time savings if they have a tough year.

Or the employer could say "What a blowout year! Anyone that has been here a minimum of 5 years is eligible for up to $56,000 through our profit sharing program, because we want to reward YOU!"

etc etc.

The employee portion should be that they have to meet XYZ parameters to be eligible, and then the rest is on the employer for how they outline and choose to run their profit sharing program. But perhaps someone is better versed....sorry I can't be more help.

- Stephen Colbert

Last edited by Tiduwho; 06-22-2021 at 11:24 AM. Reason: \
    Old 06-22-2021, 11:24 AM   #5249
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, that sounds like a match masquerading as profit sharing. My company does profit sharing contributions that are just a percent of salary, no extra dollars in on my part required.
    Old 06-22-2021, 11:29 AM   #5250
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This is the part that seems backwards. She isn't the one that decides X% or X dollar amount, the employer is the one that decides...

So the employer may have a tough year and decide "sorry guys, 1% of your salary is our total contribution to your profit sharing this year".

Or the employer could say "What a blowout year! Anyone that has been here a minimum of 5 years is eligible for up to $58,000 through our profit sharing program, because we want to reward YOU!"

etc etc.

The employee portion should be that they have to meet XYZ parameters to be eligible. But perhaps someone is better versed....sorry I can't be more help.
    got it, yes, that all makes sense.

I also just learned apparently it's strictly a profit-sharing plan, which means she can't make her own contributions to this plan (I just assumed a profit-sharing plan was in addition to your regular employee contributions - it's what I can do with my Solo 401k - make both employer and employee contributions.)

I guess I incorrectly assumed she could defer salary as an employee into the 401k and also get a % of profit sharing from the owner.

Quote: