Is DMB your favorite band? - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-15-2018, 05:56 AM   #91
Cptn. Monkeyman
Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Is DMB your favorite band?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
Trick of the tail to duke is one of the great album runs in history

The only Phil genesis album I think is weak by comparison to their entire body of work is the mama album

Home by the sea is incredible though.

I totally agree, Trick of the Tail is such a perfect album. I do like the self titled album, it has a few really great songs, but it doesn't hold up against their albums before it. Also, the follow up, Invisible Touch, is great as well. That one and Abacab are what got me to venture more into Phil's solo career.
Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-15-2018, 06:01 AM   #92
    rubrink

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Tough one. DMB will always be my all-time favorite band, but it has been a long, long time since I listened to them a ton. My two favorite bands now are the Decemberists and the Hold Steady, but DMB will always be #1 all-time.
    rubrink is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2018, 06:36 AM   #93
    grilldanmo

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rubrink View Post
    Tough one. DMB will always be my all-time favorite band, but it has been a long, long time since I listened to them a ton. My two favorite bands now are the Decemberists and the Hold Steady, but DMB will always be #1 all-time.
    The Decemberists are killer. I'd heard about them for several years before listening and once I did, holy shit was I in love AND angry at myself for not listening sooner. Trying to keep up with all the great new music gets harder and harder...there's only so much time in your day or life that you can spend listening to music...especially listening actively.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2018, 07:28 AM   #94
    rubrink

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    The Decemberists are killer. I'd heard about them for several years before listening and once I did, holy shit was I in love AND angry at myself for not listening sooner. Trying to keep up with all the great new music gets harder and harder...there's only so much time in your day or life that you can spend listening to music...especially listening actively.
    Yes! I told my wife that I realized I was giving up on looking for new music. lol. Sign of being old
    rubrink is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #95
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rubrink View Post
    Yes! I told my wife that I realized I was giving up on looking for new music. lol. Sign of being old
    Yeah, I have friends that really only focus on Fish, '80s style rock and metal, country, jazz, etc. They listen almost exclusively to one band or one genre or era or combination of one genre from an era...I wish I could that sometimes. The amount of money I've spent on music throughout my life has to staggering...at least a few cars or a house...

I try to curb it, but then I stream WFUV or check out NPR's Tiny Desk clips or their new music shows and it's hey what's this great tune. Or even how music is more integrated into shows. While watching The Leftovers I heard Ruelle for the first time. My wife and I were watching This Is Us and Jono McCleery's Darkest Light came on and I loved it. Previously I'd heard of Michael Kiwanuka, but hadn't heard his music...while watching Atlanta his tune Home Again came on and I had to hear it again (and again and again) and now I love his stuff too.
    Old 03-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #96
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Ha, auto correct maybe??? I meant Phish, not Fish formerly of Marillion...although I used to know a guy that was completely obsessed with Marillion. I didn't get it at the time, but then grew to love them years later.
    Old 03-15-2018, 09:00 AM   #97
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisjuniper View Post
    definitely not anymore, moving further away from the top spot all the time too.
    This is me.
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #98
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    My dad used to know some people that owned a skybox at MSG. They asked if he wanted the Straits tickets because they weren’t interested (these guys were in their 60s or so). Anyway, it was the Brothers In Arms tour, I was in junior high. Billy Joel was a guest musician that night and I think David Sanborn showed up and played a bit as well.

A couple of years later he got the same tickets to Pink Floyd at MSG and was going to trade my sister. Plans changed and my sister and I went instead. Momentary Lapse of Reason tour. We snuck down and sat in the lower isles for about half the show...security.ushers never bothered us for some reason. It was also excellent.
    That...is pretty bloody cool!
    Old 03-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #99
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    That...is pretty bloody cool!
    Yes it was. It was a unique experience that I doubt I'll have again...and not because of the demise of the bands in question, but getting luxury box seats to anything.
    Old 03-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #100
    kyledmb
    FORZA ROSSONERI

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

DMB were my favorite band from the 90s into the early 2000s. Can't say they are anymore, just too many years of decline imo. Always will have an important place in my memory. I keep holding out hope for one more phenomenal studio album.
    kyledmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2018, 08:17 PM   #101
    Digital Man

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    It means that if you have 30,000 posts on a message board for a band that’s not even in your top 20 then he can’t imagine how many posts you have on the other message boards you post on for bands you’re a fan of.
    I wouldn't put much stock into that. The forums for some of my favorite bands are total clown shows, so I never go to them anymore (if I ever really did).

For me, DMB is probably a top 30 band. At the height of my love for them, late 90's/early 00's, they were maybe top 15.
    Digital Man is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2018, 09:00 AM   #102
    camptravisr
    Numbered Beats

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Man View Post
    I wouldn't put much stock into that. The forums for some of my favorite bands are total clown shows, so I never go to them anymore (if I ever really did).

For me, DMB is probably a top 30 band. At the height of my love for them, late 90's/early 00's, they were maybe top 15.
    Man I wish I could find 15 bands I like more than DMB. I'd be in heaven.
    camptravisr is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2018, 09:22 AM   #103
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by camptravisr View Post
    Man I wish I could find 15 bands I like more than DMB. I'd be in heaven.
    I’ve got a hundred or more that I like just as much, which indeed makes me happy. The list just keeps growing...although at a slower rate than my late teens through 30s. The discovery process has changed dramatically...
    Old 03-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #104
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

DMB will always be my favorite band, almost entirely because of the music but there have also been a lot of great times spent with friends at their concerts, much more so than with other bands. The fun part for me is while DMB will always feel like home musically I keep finding new music to listen to. I would say right now Bon Iver is probably my second favorite.
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2018, 10:56 AM   #105
    DaveCrave41

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Yep, DMB is my fave. No others even come close. I'll listen to another for a song or two, but DMB holds strong.

Awesome that fans had the opportunity to ask Mark about DMB. Hopefully he didn't catch the red glare of anyone else involved.
    DaveCrave41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2018, 10:36 PM   #106
    CapnHani06
    JMU Duuuuuuuuukes

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

https://sports.theonion.com/lazy-esp...689.1521264921
    - Sean
    CapnHani06 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #107
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CapnHani06 View Post
    I see what did there.

Seriously though, I was asking to find who else loves DMB, but who actually likes other bands at least as much, if not more. This was arguably a more complicated or roundabout method to get to that info. But it was one more likely to get responses than:

Which bands do you like as much or more than DMB. It’s been cool to reading the responses of those whose favorit band is DMB.
    Old 03-17-2018, 11:14 PM   #108
    DMBPurist

My Tour Central Stats

Is DMB your favorite band?

Yes, but I am saddened to think about what once was
    compared to what now is.

I'm like a boy who grew up idolizing a star baseball
    player, and as I got older, he got older and past his
    prime....I find myself longing for him to get
    called up off the bench as a pinch-hitter with the game
    tied in the World Series, just to watch him hit one
    walk-off homerun like old times....I wait and I wait
    but that day never comes....I never get to relive those
    feelings that I once did as a boy.
    DMBPurist is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #109
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBPurist View Post
    Is DMB your favorite band?

Yes, but I am saddened to think about what once was
    compared to what now is.

I'm like a boy who grew up idolizing a star baseball
    player, and as I got older, he got older and past his
    prime....I find myself longing for him to get
    called up off the bench as a pinch-hitter with the game
    tied in the World Series, just to watch him hit one
    walk-off homerun like old times....I wait and I wait
    but that day never comes....I never get to relive those
    feelings that I once did as a boy.
    That’s sad, but understandable.

I on the other hand had that feeling with Everyday and then even more with Stand Up. Life made it difficult to see DMB from 2002 - 2014. In those middle years we (my wife and I) saw Dave & Friends and a Dave & Tim show, but we love BWGK and AFTW. I’m not saying it’s the same, but we felt these albums were excellent and have spent far more time listening to them over the past few years than the older albums. We got back to our first DMB show 2015 (14 year break, again unintentional) and it was great to see everyone again. My biggest regret is not seeing Roi a bunch more times, but who would have predicted his passing?

I’m glad they’re still around making excellent music. I hope the Boyd situation works itself out somehow and violin is a continued part of thei sound, but I’ll go with whatever the band decides to do. The biggest current hope is hat the new album can live up to the band’s standard...
    Old 03-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #110
    Evans

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Hard to say anymore. I waited and waited for years for them to come around again. The constant cycle of road-testing new songs and anticipating album versions of those songs only to be let down just wore me out. Aftw was their best since Busted Stuff so that's something. But that was 6 years ago. Stagnation and repeated disappointments and now Boyd is gone. The guys are getting older. The window is closing.
    I'd like to take a chance to thank you all very much for joining us this evening and I hope that you have a nice night followin' this one, don't forget to love each other, don't forget to do your best, don't forget to vote, don't forget to dafahdedofehdahdeedoedeeday!
    Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-18-2018, 11:28 AM   #111
    Slackdoodle

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evans View Post
    Hard to say anymore. I waited and waited for years for them to come around again. The constant cycle of road-testing new songs and anticipating album versions of those songs only to be let down just wore me out. Aftw was their best since Busted Stuff so that's something. But that was 6 years ago. Stagnation and repeated disappointments and now Boyd is gone. The guys are getting older. The window is closing.
    Dark, but accurate. This new album is really going to have to be something surprising and special.
    Slackdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #112
    markk

Shows Seen: 73

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Yes, they are my favorite, and it's not even close. Before they were my fav, I alternated between Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Yes, Grateful Dead, The Police (and Sting), U2, Genesis (inc. Peter Gabriel solo) and a few others to a lesser degree, but no band has kept my attention for so long and keep me interested to find out more about them than DMB. I've also seen them live more than any other artist, and I don't expect that to change. I realize the band is past their prime, but I still look forward to seeing them, whether it be full band or D+T.
    markk is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-21-2018, 08:12 AM   #113
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

I don’t see them as past any prime, they are just a ever evolving band. My wife and are have been talking about how much Dave’s voice has changed since we got the 1996 SPAC Live Trax. It was our third time seeing the band and it was awesome, but compared to now his voice is far more nasal in tonality. Dave’s voice is now a far more refined instrument and damn if it wasn’t at some of its best last year during the D&T shows. Boyd is a great presence and musical personality, but someone posted the links to their first Farm Aid appearance in 1995 and his intonation is quite off in a quite a few places. It’s funny that Tim was there, because you can’t really hear him at all. But Carter’s killing as always and damn to I miss Roi...he’s still one of my favorite horn players.

Anyway, DMB definitely remains among my long list of “favorites”. And like the best of these “best” they aren’t treading water and rehashing the same old stuff. They are constantly growing and expressing themselves in different ways...some forced others as they explore a more varied musical palette and palate.
    Old 03-21-2018, 05:28 PM   #114
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    I go through waves where I dont listen to them at all but yeah theres no question theyre my favorite band ever.
    This is basically me at this point.

They probably always will be my all-time favorite, but at this point I usually only listen to them in spurts. Usually go 6-12 months without listening to them at all. They just haven't done enough 2005-present that I'm actually interested in listening to. Then all the sudden I listen to them a LOT.
    Old 03-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #115
    UofIDaveFan

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Yes, still my favorite and has been since my first show in 2002, but recently I've started really getting into Pearl Jam. Finally pulled the trigger and bought tickets to see them at Wrigley in August and then bought a bunch of their bootlegs and alternating between live DMB and Pearl Jam in my car.
    UofIDaveFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #116
    ajk316

Shows Seen: 62

My Tour Central Stats

Yes they are my favorite band. First musical experience that truly drew me in. First live show I thought "Wow that is something else" (Except Springsteen his shows are biblical). I wouldn't travel the way I do for any other band.

But Led Zeppelin is 1b.
    Old 03-22-2018, 07:53 PM   #117
    DC Greg

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Definitely my favorite band and always will be. RHCP, Radiohead, Alice In Chains, Black Sabbath, Soundgarden all up in close to the same stratosphere, with an honorable mention for Rusted Root.

DMB and RHCP mean enough to me that they got incorporated into a couple of my tattoos, so maybe that puts them on another level for me too lol.
    DC Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2018, 08:57 PM   #118
    Todefy
    Eur 19 SetlistGameChamp

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Yes, they are
    Todefy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2018, 05:10 AM   #119
    swanparadise
    Lost Somewhere in Paris

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

YES, THEY ARE.

I’ve been a fan of the band since 1998, I was 15 years old at this time and growing up listening to DMB was magical. Furthermore in France, where they’re practicly unknown. It was my well kept secret, I only shared with my girlfriends and best friends. DMB was kinda musically defining me at the time. I felt strongly linked to the songs, BTCS and tLWS period. I listened to DMB everyday at this time... I remember ordering The Listener Supported DVD with my dad’s credit card, probably my first purchase on the internet. A month later, the day I receive the DVD, I skipped a big party to watch it with my parents (who eventually became fans of the band). I watched this live over and over again…

Anyway, I grew up, they released Stand Up, Butch left, Leroi died, Boyd became lazy, Dave became lazy…

But no matter what, even if I don’t listen to them as much as I used to, even if they didn’t release a good song in more than 15 years (except Lying in the hand of god), I still have this strong and intimate link. I’m on DMB message boards since a long long time (I was on dmbml), more of a reader obviously, but it’s a part of my life.

It’s more than music, they’re still defining who I am. These days, I have a holy musical trilogy : Mark Kozelek, Justin Vernon, Sufjan Stevens. But DMB are more than music.

I’m the kind of guy (just like Rob in High Fidelity) who likes to make Top-5 and have a « favorite » everything. DMB will always be my favorite band, BTCS my favorite album, Phantom of the Paradise my favorite movie, Paul Auster my favorite writer, The West Wing my fav’ TV show... No Matter what.

DMB 2002-07-28 (SPAC, NY) / D&T 2007-03-06 (Paris, France) / DMB 2009-07-01 (Paris, France) / DMB 2015-11-05 (Paris, France) / DMB 2019-03-10 (Paris, France)
    swanparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-26-2018, 02:36 PM   #120
    UofIDaveFan

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DC Greg View Post
    Definitely my favorite band and always will be. RHCP, Radiohead, Alice In Chains, Black Sabbath, Soundgarden all up in close to the same stratosphere, with an honorable mention for Rusted Root.

DMB and RHCP mean enough to me that they got incorporated into a couple of my tattoos, so maybe that puts them on another level for me too lol.
    Good point. My Firedancer tattoo is and likely will continue to be the only band related tattoo that I have. Then again I only have 2 so maybe that's not saying a lot.
    UofIDaveFan is offline   Reply With Quote