Could you write a better song than Samurai Cop? - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: Could you write a better song than Samurai Cop?
Yes 11 9.91%
No 95 85.59%
Yes, if I had [ ] 5 4.50%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2018, 09:53 AM   #31
Coachman76
Unlikely to agree

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Could you write a better song than Samurai Cop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop2d View Post
Well, there's at least 8 that think they can write a better song than SC. Oddly enough though... no one has shared one of their songs yet.
That wasn't the question. The question was "Could you?" not "Did you?"

If you wanted that result, the question should have been "Can you write a better song than "Samurai Cop"? Post it here!"

Phrasing matters.
We will never forget, we will always remember
Coachman76 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-23-2018, 09:53 AM   #32
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

this thread is insinuating that Samurai Cop is a poorly written song, and I couldn't disagree more. Paired with the music, I think it's actually pretty fantastic songwriting.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #33
    mja271
    Big Mike

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

There's too many considerations and subjectivity to say. I've written a few songs that I'm proud of but I can't objectively detach myself from the fact that I wrote them and obviously like them a lot personally. The stuff I like the most that I've written are definitely songs that stylistically I enjoy more than Samurai Cop but that mainly has a lot to do with my current taste in music not really aligning much with DMBs style. So to sum up my answer to the question: idk, maybe.
    Say a prayer for my soul señorita
    mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-23-2018, 10:02 AM   #34
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
    There's too many considerations and subjectivity to say. I've written a few songs that I'm proud of but I can't objectively detach myself from the fact that I wrote them and obviously like them a lot personally. The stuff I like the most that I've written are definitely songs that stylistically I enjoy more than Samurai Cop but that mainly has a lot to do with my current taste in music not really aligning much with DMBs style. So to sum up my answer to the question: idk, maybe.

My current taste in music does align with DMB but the rest of your post is exactly how I feel about comparing my own music to something else
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #35
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwrice5 View Post
    The mention of Dave's riffs/licks... those are what got me into DMB and what, early on, drove so much of the music IMO. Sadly, those days seem to be gone.
    Yeah, I remember him saying how he wasn't a strummy (acoustic) guitar player in the late '90s or early '00s and then he started strumming a lot more. Initially it was with his unique harmonic and rhythmic sensibilities, but some of it has become more "conventional". That said, still a bunch of wonderful songs written by strummy Dave.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #36
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    The whole attempt at trying to view art in a competitive way where it is one piece of art vs another never makes sense to me, this isn't sports
    Completely agree. But if you're willing to say your stuff is 'better'... well, let's hear it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coachman76 View Post

If you wanted that result, the question should have been "Can you write a better song than "Samurai Cop"? Post it here!"

Phrasing matters.
    I would bet that if someone answered 'could you' as a 'yes'... they probably are meaning they already have.

I mean, I coooooooooould be a better QB than Tom Brady if everything lined up just right and I wanted to work at it and I had a super model wife and could stomach avacado ice cream.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-23-2018, 02:06 PM   #37
    miro_eight

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Seeing the thread title, I came to post that it's the dumbest thread ever. Among the comments however, there were a few people mentioning Dave's seemingly simple, yet super creative guitar work. This is exactly what drove me to this music, too. I think I spent my first year of fandom listening to pretty much nothing but LLC, and I remember that almost each song was something completely new to me at that time - unconventional chord patterns, picking single notes while strumming,
    semi-muting or whatever its name is. It was pretty eye-opening for a teen who was listening to grunge/90s rock at the time.
    miro_eight is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #38
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

I can’t throw a better pass than Tim Tebow and he still sucks as a QB

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-23-2018, 04:30 PM   #39
    alec

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Better than Samurai Cop? I don’t know. I like that song a lot, and music is a very subjective thing. However, if no one else is going to post a link to their own music, I will give it a try! This is a song I wrote a few years ago called Signs. It is one of my favorites that I have written and I like the way the recording came out. It is nearly 7 minutes long, and has two distinctly different sections. I am posting the bandcamp link which you should be able to stream. It can also be found on Spotify and Apple Music if you want to look it up there instead (Alec Bridges - Signs).

https://alecbridges.bandcamp.com/track/signs

(And for the record - I did not vote “yes” on the poll in this thread)

Last edited by alec; 03-23-2018 at 04:31 PM.
    alec is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-23-2018, 05:25 PM   #40
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alec View Post
    Better than Samurai Cop? I don’t know. I like that song a lot, and music is a very subjective thing. However, if no one else is going to post a link to their own music, I will give it a try! This is a song I wrote a few years ago called Signs. It is one of my favorites that I have written and I like the way the recording came out. It is nearly 7 minutes long, and has two distinctly different sections. I am posting the bandcamp link which you should be able to stream. It can also be found on Spotify and Apple Music if you want to look it up there instead (Alec Bridges - Signs).

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed your song, it's actually quite good. Thematically, your song is a lot like a Dave song. There were parts where I wasn't a fan of the vocal delivery but overall it was a good tune. I'd certainly listen again. I don't know if it's better than Samurai Cop, but I'd say you're capable of writing a song that could be.
    Old 03-23-2018, 07:59 PM   #41
    uticans

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Good tune.

This guy (a guy i managed in NYC for a couple of years) Tons of talent.... not much traction. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FJjCmlav4Y
    uticans is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-23-2018, 11:21 PM   #42
    dreamingtree_34

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
    Good post. I think the other similar factor here is that no one on this board can really detach themselves from the fact that this is a Dave song; thus they project a lot more onto it than is actually there. There is a back catalogue of credibility that ostensibly gives this song more merit than it deserves. But if you take it for what it is- I'm not sure Samurai Cop would stand out at an open mic.

What I was more trying to get at here was people's thoughts on whether they thought they could create a more compelling single than this song- which will be on an album that will go down as an historic 7th consecutive billboard #1 best seller. Given the combinations of factors surrounding the current DMB situation, I cannot find a good reason why anyone would care about an album where this is purported to be the best song.
    dreamingtree_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2018, 06:27 AM   #43
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamingtree_34 View Post
    Good post. I think the other similar factor here is that no one on this board can really detach themselves from the fact that this is a Dave song; thus they project a lot more onto it than is actually there. There is a back catalogue of credibility that ostensibly gives this song more merit than it deserves. But if you take it for what it is- I'm not sure Samurai Cop would stand out at an open mic.

What I was more trying to get at here was people's thoughts on whether they thought they could create a more compelling single than this song- which will be on an album that will go down as an historic 7th consecutive billboard #1 best seller. Given the combinations of factors surrounding the current DMB situation, I cannot find a good reason why anyone would care about an album where this is purported to be the best song.
    It probably would stand out at an open mic, the way he sings it absolutely would stand out. The same can be said for a lot of his songs if he were to play at an open mic where nobody knew who he was, the way he sings and plays guitar and controls dynamics would immediately stand out before a lot of the songs themselves.

Singles aren't necessarily an albums best song and DMB fans will tend to be interested in new DMB.
    Old 03-24-2018, 07:35 AM   #44
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamingtree_34 View Post

I'm a big fan of Big Whiskey & the GrooGrux King, and I think You & Me is by far the worst song on the album. Plus, Samurai Cop is much better than Y&M. If SC is the worst song the album, it's going to be a great album in my opinion.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2018, 10:18 AM   #45
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

nice tune
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2018, 03:51 PM   #46
    alec

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    Thanks for posting. I enjoyed your song, it's actually quite good. Thematically, your song is a lot like a Dave song. There were parts where I wasn't a fan of the vocal delivery but overall it was a good tune. I'd certainly listen again. I don't know if it's better than Samurai Cop, but I'd say you're capable of writing a song that could be.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uticans View Post
    Good tune.

This guy (a guy i managed in NYC for a couple of years) Tons of talent.... not much traction. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FJjCmlav4Y
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drop2d View Post
    nice tune
    Cool! Thank you guys for taking the time to listen and for the feedback.
    alec is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2018, 05:27 AM   #47
    #41Tom

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

yeah for sure
    And the end of the world."
    #41Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-26-2018, 01:10 PM   #48
    wrhslax1996
    "Hypocritical Elitist"

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I was under the impression that SC had been fairly well received. I really enjoy it, so no I definitely couldn't write a better one. At the end of the day, you're going to be able to find people who like and dislike every single DMB song I guess.
    wrhslax1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2018, 03:23 AM   #49
    ReesePlaceBand

Shows Seen: 69

My Tour Central Stats

I really like the song so would not say I can write a better song than SC. But I did pull a solo version of SC off of youtube and had some fun with it in my studio:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2zjs8un49g...L%29.mp3?dl=0p
    ReesePlaceBand is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-07-2018, 08:10 PM   #50
    Peppermill

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Does anyone have a link to the song when him and Tim played it on Stephen Colbert?
    I've known rivers ancient as the world and older than the flow of human blood in human veins. My soul has grown deep like the rivers. I bathed in the Euphrates when dawns were young. I built my hut near the Congo and it lulled me to sleep. I looked upon the Nile and raised the pyramids above it. I heard the singing of the Mississippi when Abe Lincoln went down to New Orleans, and I've seen its muddy bosom turn all golden in the sunset. I've known rivers...
    Ancient, dusky rivers. My soul has grown deep like the rivers.---Langston Hughes
    Peppermill is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #51
    Seanieb
    Tibity

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

different style of song, but I think my song Open Up is better (prepares to be flamed).

https://open.spotify.com/track/03m27...TXWcelhlRKKRyg
    Seanieb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-09-2018, 08:58 PM   #52
    LaLaLaLaHey

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    No, but I can write a better title. Hopefully it's just a placeholder and they go with the alternate "Joy Begins" on the album.
    Can you write a better title than #41? or #36? or #27? or #40?
    LaLaLaLaHey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-09-2018, 09:02 PM   #53
    LaLaLaLaHey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peppermill View Post
    Does anyone have a link to the song when him and Tim played it on Stephen Colbert?
    Interesting.... looks like it was removed? Maybe because of the album? The interview is still up, but I can’t find the performance.

https://youtu.be/kYgo3B2SvHo

Here’s somebody filming their screen:

https://youtu.be/qyiRu1YuDgU

Last edited by LaLaLaLaHey; 04-09-2018 at 09:04 PM.
    Old 04-11-2018, 07:56 AM   #54
    SeekUpTheCubs
    DMBallwasher

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Going to be honest... I've been avoiding this thread because it seemed like it might just be shitting on Samurai Cop (a song I like a lot). But after giving this a listen, it's actually great. Well done.
    Old 04-11-2018, 09:54 AM   #55
    LaLaLaLaHey

My Tour Central Stats

For the record, my "yes" was not warranted lol - ignore that
    Maybe in the way out future I could potentially become a better songwriter, but I don't even write songs right now so...
    Old 04-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #56
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ReesePlaceBand View Post
    I really like the song so would not say I can write a better song than SC. But I did pull a solo version of SC off of youtube and had some fun with it in my studio:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2zjs8un49g...L%29.mp3?dl=0p
    Wow, that was awesome.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peppermill View Post
    I did a rip of it, it's in my What Album? folder with all the others
    http://www.mediafire.com/folder/fozm...ho2/What_Album
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #57
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I don't know if it's better, but I just wrote it last weekend and have been digging playing it. Never hurts to hear what others think...well hopefully :-) Please note that this is just a demo I threw together on Sunday to give my band an idea of how I think it could sound with them. I am not a recording expert.

"Who am I?"
    https://soundcloud.com/kevinhoranmusic/who-am-i

Feel free to check out some of my other tunes on my SoundCloud page.

Here's another tune with the full band called "Friend of the Fire". I've shared some of these over in nDMBc. Quite the opposite of the uplifting feel of Samurai Cop, but it holds a lot of personal meaning to me and I think it's lyrically one of the best songs I've ever written.
    https://soundcloud.com/thestoneroadb...nd-of-the-fire
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-11-2018, 12:45 PM   #58
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coachman76 View Post

Phrasing matters.
    “so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.”
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-11-2018, 05:18 PM   #59
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    I don't know if it's better, but I just wrote it last weekend and have been digging playing it. Never hurts to hear what others think...well hopefully :-) Please note that this is just a demo I threw together on Sunday to give my band an idea of how I think it could sound with them. I am not a recording expert.

"Who am I?"
    https://soundcloud.com/kevinhoranmusic/who-am-i

Feel free to check out some of my other tunes on my SoundCloud page.

Here's another tune with the full band called "Friend of the Fire". I've shared some of these over in nDMBc. Quite the opposite of the uplifting feel of Samurai Cop, but it holds a lot of personal meaning to me and I think it's lyrically one of the best songs I've ever written.
    https://soundcloud.com/thestoneroadb...nd-of-the-fire
    Haven't been able to yet but I'll have to check out the new tune!