New Remasters - Page 33 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 03-25-2024, 12:50 PM   #961
ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Remasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
2015.01.17 - Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds - Paramount Theatre - Oakland, CA

2017.03.21 - Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds - Hammersmith Apollo, London, United Kingdom

I've been enjoying this 2015 show lately, thanks again, should the 2017 show be available somewhere? Apologies if something happened to this one that I missed the posts for.
ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-25-2024, 08:14 PM   #962
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I've been enjoying this 2015 show lately, thanks again, should the 2017 show be available somewhere? Apologies if something happened to this one that I missed the posts for.

We didn’t have the permission from the taper to share that show so it was removed
    Old 03-26-2024, 12:31 PM   #963
    Mountains#41

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    We didn’t have the permission from the taper to share that show so it was removed
    That is of course very polite of you. I don't know if they just didn't respond to permission or denied your use of it. I would assume though once a tape is out in the public, they would not mind you remastering it to share with others.
    Mountains#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-26-2024, 02:00 PM   #964
    oasisfan35

Shows Seen: 86

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mountains#41 View Post
    That is of course very polite of you. I don't know if they just didn't respond to permission or denied your use of it. I would assume though once a tape is out in the public, they would not mind you remastering it to share with others.
    I'd say a lot of tapers really do not want their tapes altered. Granted some very well may and we've gotten a bit away from the "please do not encode to lossy formats, etc." that was in most text files but even that was often noted as for personal use only. Altering can certainly dilute the trading pool as well.
    Old 03-26-2024, 02:34 PM   #965
    Mountains#41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oasisfan35 View Post
    I'd say a lot of tapers really do not want their tapes altered. Granted some very well may and we've gotten a bit away from the "please do not encode to lossy formats, etc." that was in most text files but even that was often noted as for personal use only. Altering can certainly dilute the trading pool as well.
    Hmmm. I never looked at it that way. I suppose in the DMB community there are so few tapers it's easier to ask? and when there were a handful more in the prime years, we have no idea what their wishes might have been.

I know guys like Charlie Miller in the Dead and Phish community remaster and make matrix like tapes all the time. Like that's what he's known for much like Xcacel and dmbjamie here. I have no idea if he gets permission to this. I just assumed in that community of all places tapers would certainly be more protective of what they put out.

He always gives credit where it's due in his remasters of course. But GD had dozens of sources and tapes for some shows, whereas we're lucky to get 1 or 2 most of the time which makes it much easier to ask permission. And with DMB it's usually 1 of 3 or 4 people these days...

As for the lossy format, ya. If there is a Flac file and an Mp3 file available on mega.nz or something. I don't think that breaks the code of trading lossy formats still. Now, if people started emailing those mp3s back and forth or torrenting the files, that would be an issue. But we seem to have moved past those days with cloud servers. Like 1000 people could go download an mp3 right now in mega, and it will not lose any quality.

Last edited by Mountains#41; 03-26-2024 at 02:38 PM.
    Old 03-26-2024, 02:42 PM   #966
    Mountains#41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Also, how would it dilute the trading pool? The original tape would still be there.
    Old 03-26-2024, 03:19 PM   #967
    oasisfan35

Shows Seen: 86

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hmmm. I never looked at it that way. I suppose in the DMB community there are so few tapers it's easier to ask? and when there were a handful more in the prime years, we have no idea what their wishes might have been.
    I suppose this is a pretty multi-level scenario. I immediately think of less than immediately recent audience pulls where the taper explicitly states to not alter their efforts. I haven't seen this called out as much nowadays but have seen it. A lot of effort and money can go in to taping and I certainly do not fault any tapers efforts to keep that finished product intact, a labor of love perhaps but still labor.

I agree it seems the total number of tapes we get these days has lessened but would those even be the ones that would get a touching up?

Quote:
    I know guys like Charlie Miller in the Dead and Phish community remaster and make matrix like tapes all the time. Like that's what he's known for much like Xcacel and dmbjamie here. I have no idea if he gets permission to this. I just assumed in that community of all places tapers would certainly be more protective of what they put out.
    The Dead is definitely a different animal, with soundboards available across their existence and Phish stopped allowing patches quite some time ago. The evolution of the taping community of each artist has been different, especially DMB post-'95.

Quote:
    He always gives credit where it's due in his remasters of course. But GD had dozens of sources and tapes for some shows, whereas we're lucky to get 1 or 2 most of the time which makes it much easier to ask permission. And with DMB it's usually 1 of 3 or 4 people these days...
    I don't think it improper to ask these days, assuming they don't have something stated explicitly with their files.

Quote:
    As for the lossy format, ya. If there is a Flac file and an Mp3 file available on mega.nz or something. I don't think that breaks the code of trading lossy formats still. Now, if people started emailing those mp3s back and forth or torrenting the files, that would be an issue. But we seem to have moved past those days with cloud servers. Like 1000 people could go download an mp3 right now in mega, and it will not lose any quality.
    That totally breaks the code. If you have a lossless show that states do not convert to MP3, one... you could just not but as time moved on and music players/consumption changed most text files added only convert to lossy for personal enjoyment, do not trade those files. CDs mostly had a print-out of the text file stating the same or a post-it note. It's not the sharing of the files that is degrading the quality, these aren't analog tapes but just the MP3 in general is the issue regardless of where it comes from.

Quote:
    Also, how would it dilute the trading pool? The original tape would still be there.
    The files being traded without text files noting it is in fact different than the original source. Less an issue as we are not trading CDs much these days but that is my frame of reference.
    Old 03-26-2024, 11:00 PM   #968
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Usually we ask permission to the tapers before sharing the mastered version. And I need to say that 99% of the tapers community has been extremely nice, those guys did a tremendous job with their work, and when they listened to the remaster they were happy with the final result.
    We have reached that particular taper (I prefer not to say his name), shared with him the remaster and he said he was too busy at the moment but he would have listen to the result. After few weeks we decided to share the remaster (and that was a mistake) and after that he asked to remove it immediately, so we did, and of course I apologized. I totally respect his decision and from that moment we’ve been more careful before sharing the remasters.
    Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #969
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I see, thought there might be something wrong on my end, thanks for clarifying and I'm looking forward to whatever is next!
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM   #970
    Mountains#41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I suppose this is a pretty multi-level scenario. I immediately think of less than immediately recent audience pulls where the taper explicitly states to not alter their efforts. I haven't seen this called out as much nowadays but have seen it. A lot of effort and money can go in to taping and I certainly do not fault any tapers efforts to keep that finished product intact, a labor of love perhaps but still labor.

I agree it seems the total number of tapes we get these days has lessened but would those even be the ones that would get a touching up?

The Dead is definitely a different animal, with soundboards available across their existence and Phish stopped allowing patches quite some time ago. The evolution of the taping community of each artist has been different, especially DMB post-'95.

I don't think it improper to ask these days, assuming they don't have something stated explicitly with their files.

That totally breaks the code. If you have a lossless show that states do not convert to MP3, one... you could just not but as time moved on and music players/consumption changed most text files added only convert to lossy for personal enjoyment, do not trade those files. CDs mostly had a print-out of the text file stating the same or a post-it note. It's not the sharing of the files that is degrading the quality, these aren't analog tapes but just the MP3 in general is the issue regardless of where it comes from.

The files being traded without text files noting it is in fact different than the original source. Less an issue as we are not trading CDs much these days but that is my frame of reference.
    Appreciate the thoughtful response! The taping community has been a huge part of being a DMB fan. While I don't interact with the tapers per se, every time I get a show or have access to one, I am just grateful someone took the time to capture it and put it out there for us.

I certainly want to respect anyone who has contributed to that.

Having thought about it, I suppose if I made a tape, and someone else took it an altered it for the masses without my knowledge, even if that alteration was an enhancement to it, I'd like to be asked permission as well.

Last edited by Mountains#41; Yesterday at 01:47 PM.
    Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM   #971
    Mountains#41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Usually we ask permission to the tapers before sharing the mastered version. And I need to say that 99% of the tapers community has been extremely nice, those guys did a tremendous job with their work, and when they listened to the remaster they were happy with the final result.
    We have reached that particular taper (I prefer not to say his name), shared with him the remaster and he said he was too busy at the moment but he would have listen to the result. After few weeks we decided to share the remaster (and that was a mistake) and after that he asked to remove it immediately, so we did, and of course I apologized. I totally respect his decision and from that moment we’ve been more careful before sharing the remasters.
    Thanks for clarifying Xcacel, and good on you all for adhering to the tapers wishes.