Camping at SPAC...Lee's Campground - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #1
crush_me_16125

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Camping at SPAC...Lee's Campground

Hoping to get some info on Lee's Campground for camping at SPAC shows. I'm heading up for the Phish shows, and plan to camp at Lee's. I've heard a lot of both good and bad things about Lee's, but I specifically have a couple of questions for those who have camped there before for major concert events:

1) Is it car camping (i.e. do you park at your campsite or park in a parking lot and drag your gear to a separate tent camping area)?

2) Can you come and go with your vehicle? Or once my car is in do I pretty much have to leave it there for the whole time?

3) What time does one need to arrive to a) get a good camp site ; b) get any campsite? I've read some places that you need to get there the day before the event to get a decent spot, and others that have said you can arrive midway through a 3 day run and be fine. Wondering what y'all's experience has been.

4) Is it free range camping or are you assigned a specific spot when you arrive?

5) Shuttles-do they run continuously (within reason) or is it generally once time in and one time out and if you miss you are out of luck?

Thanks in advance!
crush_me_16125 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-18-2016, 04:35 PM   #2
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Camping at SPAC...Lee's Campground

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crush_me_16125 View Post
    Hoping to get some info on Lee's Campground for camping at SPAC shows. I'm heading up for the Phish shows, and plan to camp at Lee's. I've heard a lot of both good and bad things about Lee's, but I specifically have a couple of questions for those who have camped there before for major concert events:

1) Is it car camping (i.e. do you park at your campsite or park in a parking lot and drag your gear to a separate tent camping area)?
    The way its set up is as follows: There are large grass/dirt areas where you set up your stuff (tent, etc...). And roads leading and along each camping spot. You park along the road and in designated parking areas and walk to your campsite. The walk is at a max 2 minutes from your campsite.

2) Can you come and go with your vehicle? Or once my car is in do I pretty much have to leave it there for the whole time?

Yes, you can and come go from your car easy. But in the past they have run out of parking, and then you can no longer come and go because you park in a lot off premises, far away from your campsite.

3) What time does one need to arrive to a) get a good camp site ; b) get any campsite? I've read some places that you need to get there the day before the event to get a decent spot, and others that have said you can arrive midway through a 3 day run and be fine. Wondering what y'all's experience has been.

You do not need to get there the day before. As long as you get there with a few hours to spare you should be fine. In my experience, I've arrived in the morning, anywhere from 10-12 day of the first show, and I was typically one of the first to arrive.

4) Is it free range camping or are you assigned a specific spot when you arrive?

Free range, pick where ever you want. They give you the option to camp by the water or away from the water when you pay. You make that decision and you cannot deviate to the other spot. But if you choose water, you can set up shop where ever as long as you are in the designated water area. And vice versa.

5) Shuttles-do they run continuously (within reason) or is it generally once time in and one time out and if you miss you are out of luck?

Continuously. There are way too many people to fit on one shuttle. The ride is about 15 minutes I think.

Thanks in advance!
    This place is a full out party. You won't sleep. Be aware of that before you go.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #3
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

And I cant stress this enough...lock up EVERYTHING of importance at night and before leaving your site!

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    This place is a full out party. You won't sleep. Be aware of that before you go.
    Thanks a bunch for this super informative response! I have heard the thing about the all night party before. I am no longer an all night rager, I prefer some peace at night, but Monreau's and Pops are already sold out so it looks like Lee's it is. Will have to revert back to my old all night rager days!
    Old 06-18-2016, 05:23 PM   #5
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I've seen some people talking about this place:

http://www.mcconchiescampground.com

Never been or even heard of the place, but seems some people have gotten recent spots reserved

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2016, 05:25 PM   #6
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    And I cant stress this enough...lock up EVERYTHING of importance at night and before leaving your site!
    This is a good tip, thank you. Being someone who usually does a couple festies a year at the SoSMP, I have been spoiled with never having to worry about this. But it seems to be an issues with the northeast camping events. It happened to me at moe.down when I was there several years ago, and I've heard looting has been an issue at other northeast/midwest fests. Its a shame that people are like that, but I guess it is what it is. I appreciate the advice.

So people leave cars alone but looting of sites isn't uncommon?
    Old 06-18-2016, 09:55 PM   #7
    jsied55

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This is a good tip, thank you. Being someone who usually does a couple festies a year at the SoSMP, I have been spoiled with never having to worry about this. But it seems to be an issues with the northeast camping events. It happened to me at moe.down when I was there several years ago, and I've heard looting has been an issue at other northeast/midwest fests. Its a shame that people are like that, but I guess it is what it is. I appreciate the advice.

So people leave cars alone but looting of sites isn't uncommon?
    I've never personnally had an issue but I do lock everything of importance up. They pack people in, if it's going to rain get there early so you don't get stuck with a really bad spot. Shuttle runs continuously. If you are staying with others, for the money you will spend combined just get a hote room. Seriously they charge 25 bucks a person a day. You can get hotel
    Rooms 10-20 mind away for less.
    Old 06-19-2016, 02:28 PM   #8
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsied55 View Post
    I've never personnally had an issue but I do lock everything of importance up. They pack people in, if it's going to rain get there early so you don't get stuck with a really bad spot. Shuttle runs continuously. If you are staying with others, for the money you will spend combined just get a hote room. Seriously they charge 25 bucks a person a day. You can get hotel
    Rooms 10-20 mind away for less.
    I actually think $25 is a pretty reasonable price. I will be traveling solo but not camping for costs reasons. The shuttle and "festival" scene/feel is why I'm camping.
    Old 06-20-2016, 07:41 AM   #9
    burrchik1

Shows Seen: 86

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    I've seen some people talking about this place:

http://www.mcconchiescampground.com

Never been or even heard of the place, but seems some people have gotten recent spots reserved
    McConchie's is sold out for Phish I read, but still have sites available for DMB. It's a much nicer alternative to Lee's....take it from someone who has seen both ends of the spectrum.
    burrchik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-20-2016, 07:44 AM   #10
    jsied55

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I actually think $25 is a pretty reasonable price. I will be traveling solo but not camping for costs reasons. The shuttle and "festival" scene/feel is why I'm camping.
    Well then Lee's may be your place. Just know there are a ton of young/underage kids here, and the campsite isn't about making it nice for their guests. More so they want to cram as many people in there as possible and let anarchy run wild.
    Old 06-20-2016, 03:31 PM   #11
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsied55 View Post
    Well then Lee's may be your place. Just know there are a ton of young/underage kids here, and the campsite isn't about making it nice for their guests. More so they want to cram as many people in there as possible and let anarchy run wild.

Yeah I like a festival scene but anarchy or cramped camping isn't my thing haha. I will make due though. I was trying for Monreau's and checking multiple times daily to see if a site opened up, but alas it has remained sold out so that is out.