New Album: "Come Tomorrow" Coming June 8th. - Page 51 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #1501
alec

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming This Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzamps210 View Post
We need stanman
Seriously! The anticipation is brutal.
alec is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-14-2018, 09:14 PM   #1502
    groogrux27

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    We need stanman
    ya we do, holy crap. There's a guy over on thesedayscontinue that has insider info, but hes been gone from the boards for at least a week
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    groogrux27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2018, 09:23 PM   #1503
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I joined in 2010, but I was lurking when the Stan stuff was happening. Good times
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2018, 09:28 PM   #1504
    wvufan2010
    Evan

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    We need stanman

It was fun trying to figure out whether "Garden Horse" was legit or not.
    wvufan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2018, 09:30 PM   #1505
    Dannyyankou

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wvufan2010 View Post
    It was fun trying to figure out whether "Garden Horse" was legit or not.
    Oh right, turned out it was “Garden Hose”, as it was sang on the demo version
    Old 02-15-2018, 06:43 AM   #1506
    Jordan#41

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

They need to release some album tidbits to build some excitement.

There's just been SILENCE since the Boyd departure and it's disheartening.
    Jordan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-15-2018, 06:45 AM   #1507
    Aforauer

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jordan#41 View Post
    They need to release some album tidbits to build some excitement.

There's just been SILENCE since the Boyd departure and it's disheartening.
    Maybe we should all spam the WH via email so they get the hint
    Aforauer is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-15-2018, 08:42 AM   #1508
    theflower

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

it's disappointing. "new album coming!" and a whole month goes by with nothing else other than the news that a founding member is taking a hiatus from touring.
    theflower is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #1509
    bowa36

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I want Butch & Carter to re-record those songs they made..or just release them

Big Finish
    Billy Goat Gruff
    Carlton
    Desertion
    Dino
    Finish Line
    Fish Eyed Fool
    Free Fall
    G Funk
    Huddle Clap
    It Might Be Both
    Just Like Hers
    Lilly
    Melts in Your Mouth
    Tucker Inn
    Old 02-15-2018, 08:57 AM   #1510
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by theflower View Post
    it's disappointing. "new album coming!" and a whole month goes by with nothing else other than the news that a founding member is taking a hiatus from touring.
    It says summer. Theres really no reason to expect anything until at least early april.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-15-2018, 08:59 AM   #1511
    dmbclstj2

Shows Seen: 80

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    It says summer. Theres really no reason to expect anything until at least early april.
    Some teasers would be nice, or a tweet every few days with something, I believe that call that Marketing. What a brutal team they have promoting them.
    dmbclstj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-15-2018, 09:04 AM   #1512
    theflower

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    sure but what an odd marketing strategy.... announce a new album and then not share a shred of information about same for 3 months? How does that galvanize excitement about the tour or the album? it's not as if news of a new album will drive ticket prices, it hasn't and it won't here, but even assuming for the sake of argument that it will, what sense does it make to make the announcement and then say nothing else about it during the very window of time people are buying tickets for the tour. My presumption is that the band/management just does not give a shit one way or the other which is fine, it's their prerogative. i'm just a grumpy bitch.
    Old 02-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #1513
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

I think its been known DMB's marketing team and strategy are largely passive.

Once you hear Dave book a late night spot is when id expect to start hearing stuff. I think someone mentioned in this thread who works for SNL said they saw Dave talking to Lorne Michaels around the new year and mentioning looking forward to seeing him again soon, so maybe keep an eye for something like that.

DMB's social media is a complete joke and always has been so dont expect anything there.

I mean tickets went on sale 2 weeks ago and included an album download. I dont really know why youd expect something right now. If we get into mid april and havent heard a peep then sure. Dave literally did a Radio.com interview this week and confirmed two songs on the album so beyond that I think youre setting yourself up for disappointment to expect more for at least the next 6ish weeks or at least til were about a month out from the tour starting.

Quote:

Last edited by TheLastPig; 02-15-2018 at 09:11 AM.
    Old 02-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #1514
    theflower

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think its been known DMB's marketing team and strategy are largely passive.

Once you hear Dave book a late night spot is when id expect to start hearing stuff. I think someone mentioned in this thread who works for SNL said they saw Dave talking to Lorne Michaels around the new year and mentioning looking forward to seeing him again soon, so maybe keep an eye for something like that.

DMB's social media is a complete joke and always has been so dont expect anything there.

I mean tickets went on sale 2 weeks ago and included an album download. I dont really know why youd expect something right now. If we get into mid april and havent heard a peep then sure. Dave literally did a Radio.com interview this week and confirmed two songs on the album so beyond that I think youre setting yourself up for disappointment to expect more for at least the next 6ish weeks or at least til were about a month out from the tour starting.
    it's not that i expect anything... there's just an opportunity to galvanize some excitement and build up a head of steam going into the tour, or, if nothing else, throw some crumbs to their base, which is being missed. I appreciate that their current marketing strategy, or lack there of, is consistent with the past... but like all things in life, they are evolving and i have been hoping they pivot towards a new and refreshed approach on promoting their albums, one that would seemingly benefit album and tour ticket sales, which i presume is a good thing from the band's perspective, but who the hell knows. I guess this hope is sort of consistent with my hope that the new album is not another SU, BWGGK or AFTW. So there is no expectation, it's just a hope. i like hoping. and hopping. besides, it's not as if you see a lot of bands announce a new album and than provide no new information for a quarter of a year.
    Old 02-15-2018, 09:39 AM   #1515
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    They may not have a single selected or ready yet.
    Yeah. exactly. OAR has a single coming out tomorrow (not even a full album planned, it seems, just the single). DMB's album is coming in the summer. Not sure why anyone would expect much from DMB yet. I think they've even explicitly said they don't have the single chosen (or at least, that's heavily implied in that interview with Dave that was just posted), and the album is still untitled, and the tracklist even still seems to be in flux. So...the comparison with OAR seems silly.
    madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #1516
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    it's not that i expect anything... there's just an opportunity to galvanize some excitement and build up a head of steam going into the tour, or, if nothing else, throw some crumbs to their base, which is being missed. I appreciate that their current marketing strategy, or lack there of, is consistent with the past... but like all things in life, they are evolving and i have been hoping they pivot towards a new and refreshed approach on promoting their albums, one that would seemingly benefit album and tour ticket sales, which i presume is a good thing from the band's perspective, but who the hell knows. I guess this hope is sort of consistent with my hope that the new album is not another SU, BWGGK or AFTW. So there is no expectation, it's just a hope. i like hoping. and hopping. besides, it's not as if you see a lot of bands announce a new album and than provide no new information for a quarter of a year.
    I think you should also take into consideration the Boyd stuff. I think theres a reason behind that theyve been so silent. Maybe theyre waiting til they select a replacement or something.

Fwiw, Ive seen alot of album ads popping up on facebook/instagram and stuff. So its not completely absent.

Quote:
    Old 02-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #1517
    dmbclstj2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think you should also take into consideration the Boyd stuff. I think theres a reason behind that theyve been so silent. Maybe theyre waiting til they select a replacement or something.

Fwiw, Ive seen alot of album ads popping up on facebook/instagram and stuff. So its not completely absent.
    Those ads are auto generated, if you were on dmband.com or ticketmaster/livenation, they will pop up on any sight that has ads. Really nothing to do with any individual taking action. I don't think I expect anything but like others have mentioned you are releasing an album LONG overdue, 6 years in the making and you go radio silent?
    Old 02-15-2018, 11:02 AM   #1518
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbclstj2 View Post
    Some teasers would be nice, or a tweet every few days with something, I believe that call that Marketing. What a brutal team they have promoting them.
    What? Most bands/artists don't go on a 5 month promotional spree.

Justin Timberlake didn't even announce his until one month before it actually came out:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...ase-date-video

The Foo Fighters released their single "Run" in July and then the album came out in September (2 months, for those counting).

Calm down. Have some patience. Some people are seriously delusional about this should work. News come April seems about right to build up some more momentum for the tour and then album release in June/July.
    Old 02-15-2018, 11:03 AM   #1519
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Why is DMB not yet marketing this album that they haven't finalized any details on?!?
    MOWJO8185 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-15-2018, 11:17 AM   #1520
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbclstj2 View Post
    Those ads are auto generated, if you were on dmband.com or ticketmaster/livenation, they will pop up on any sight that has ads. Really nothing to do with any individual taking action. I don't think I expect anything but like others have mentioned you are releasing an album LONG overdue, 6 years in the making and you go radio silent?
    They still pay for it dude. It doesnt just magically appear.

Quote:
    Old 02-15-2018, 11:25 AM   #1521
    theflower

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    What? Most bands/artists don't go on a 5 month promotional spree.

Justin Timberlake didn't even announce his until one month before it actually came out:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...ase-date-video

The Foo Fighters released their single "Run" in July and then the album came out in September (2 months, for those counting).

Calm down. Have some patience. Some people are seriously delusional about this should work. News come April seems about right to build up some more momentum for the tour and then album release in June/July.

you're proving my point. it makes no sense to make an album announcement and then wait 3 months to say anything else about it. as you indicate, album announcements are ordinarily followed, in relatively quick succession, by more information or the release itself, OR said information is provided contemporaneously with the announcement... announcing a new album coming "this summer" and then saying nothing about it for months accomplishes nothing, other than annoying me, which is a big deal in my world. it's certainly not increasing ticket sales. so what is the point? for sure, we all can agree that it's an early announcement in light of a "summer" release so either it's a crappy marketing ploy with no real point indicative of the last several albums' promotional schemes, OR, the band is specifically trying to annoy me, which i think may be the case. As you can see, i'm all about me.
    Old 02-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #1522
    Dannyyankou

My Tour Central Stats

It's not complicated. The only reason the mentioned the album this early was to create an incentive to buy tour tickets, lol. They're not ready to make an "officially official" announcement about the album yet, including the title and tracklist.
    Old 02-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #1523
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    you're proving my point. it makes no sense to make an album announcement and then wait 3 months to say anything else about it. as you indicate, album announcements are ordinarily followed, in relatively quick succession, by more information or the release itself, OR said information is provided contemporaneously with the announcement... announcing a new album coming "this summer" and then saying nothing about it for months accomplishes nothing, other than annoying me, which is a big deal in my world. it's certainly not increasing ticket sales. so what is the point? for sure, we all can agree that it's an early announcement in light of a "summer" release so either it's a crappy marketing ploy with no real point indicative of the last several albums' promotional schemes, OR, the band is specifically trying to annoy me, which i think may be the case. As you can see, i'm all about me.
    It was absolutely to increase ticket sales... and it was to increase album sales since they gave away the album with the ticket purchase.

Quote:
    Old 02-15-2018, 11:32 AM   #1524
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

It would have been hard to do this free album with ticket sale promotion had they not, you know, announced the album.
    MOWJO8185 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-15-2018, 11:47 AM   #1525
    dmbalpine

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    It's not complicated. The only reason the mentioned the album this early was to create an incentive to buy tour tickets, lol. They're not ready to make an "officially official" announcement about the album yet, including the title and tracklist.
    Exactly. I’m not sure why some people don’t get this simple concept.
    dmbalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #1526
    Sugarwill22

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbalpine View Post
    I agree. This isn't unusual but from a fan base that's been thirsty for something new, it's a bit frustrating. All good things come to those who wait.
    Old 02-15-2018, 12:50 PM   #1527
    dmbclstj2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbalpine View Post
    I also don't understand why people don't understand the basics of marketing.
    Old 02-15-2018, 01:28 PM   #1528
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

For what it's worth:

For Away from the World, DMB announced that they were in the studio with Lillywhite on Feb 15, 2012. The next bit of album promotion (sort of) was when Dave appeared on Jimmy Fallon and debuted Mercy on April 24th, 2012. Gaucho was given as a free download on May 25th, 2012. The album was officially announced on Jun 27th. Mercy video was posted on YouTube on June 28th, and the lyric video on July 12th. On July 17th, they announced that Mercy would be available to download immediately with preorders from iTunes. Promotion was fairly consistent after that until Sept. 11th, 2012, when it was released.

So...hang tight. The announcement from last month that they are putting the "finishing touches" on a new album places it ahead of the schedule for Away from the World, but there's still a lot of time in between the "we're working on a new album" and "this is our new album" announcements.
    madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-15-2018, 01:28 PM   #1529
    theflower

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It was absolutely to increase ticket sales... and it was to increase album sales since they gave away the album with the ticket purchase.
    oh, ok. got it. it's brilliant really. a generic album announcement from a largely irrelevant band after a 6 year album hiatus, followed by no additional information about said album in the exact period of time the tickets are being sold.... i'm sure ticket sales are through the roof. 90% of the people buying dmb tickets couldn't even name the last 3 studio albums.
    Old 02-15-2018, 01:33 PM   #1530
    #41Tom

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    oh, ok. got it. it's brilliant really. a generic album announcement from a largely irrelevant band after a 6 year album hiatus, followed by no additional information about said album in the exact period of time the tickets are being sold.... i'm sure ticket sales are through the roof. 90% of the people buying dmb tickets couldn't even name the last 3 studio albums.
    wow, dmb has you well and truly trigged
    And the end of the world."
    #41Tom is offline   Reply With Quote