The Outdoor Thread. - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
dmbigeyedphish
feels good man

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

The Outdoor Thread.

Any climbers? Campers? Hikers? Paddlers? Or people who just like being outside? Here's your thread.

Me? I'm an avid climber..mostly the wall here at school...my job restricts me from going climbing elsewhere. I just recently got a job working the wall and teh storehouse distributing all kinds of gear, so that's pretty cool.

I'm also proficient in whitewater paddling..I'll be helping to teach it fulfill the requirements for my outdoor adventure leadership minor next spring. Whitewater excites me the most.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
    krbarrett77
    Xmas All The Time

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Outdoor Thread.

Hmm...are hunters allowed? Or are they the anti-outdoorsmen.

I fish, ski, and mountain bike frequently too if that makes it better. I personally believe hunting is a morally sound activity though.

Actually I just went to bass pro shop yesterday and got a ton of great stuff on clearance. My favorite being a magnesium firestarter. tried it out yesterday..still getting used to it. Also got a tree-mountable game-cam so i can see what sort of animal activity occurs around my tree stand.
    Old 05-25-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
    dmbigeyedphish
    feels good man

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by krbarrett77 View Post
    Hmm...are hunters allowed? Or are they the anti-outdoorsmen.

I fish, ski, and mountain bike frequently too if that makes it better. I personally believe hunting is a morally sound activity though.

Actually I just went to bass pro shop yesterday and got a ton of great stuff on clearance. My favorite being a magnesium firestarter. tried it out yesterday..still getting used to it. Also got a tree-mountable game-cam so i can see what sort of animal activity occurs around my tree stand.
    hahaha, sorry about not including hunters. Do you hunt a certain game in particular?
    Old 05-25-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
    krbarrett77
    Xmas All The Time

My Tour Central Stats

No I wouldnt have included hunting either probably. Some people who enjoy the outdoors really frown on it, so i was just making sure.

I usually bow hunt deer but I like pheasant hunting a lot too. Can't wait until fall. But I keep myself busy in the summer shooting my bow and biking. I really just find about whatever excuse i can to be outside.

Where do you paddle?

Last edited by krbarrett77; 05-25-2007 at 03:40 PM.
    krbarrett77 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
    TheMakerDMB17

My Tour Central Stats

I love to be outside. It is definitely one of my favorite places to be. Last year I got to climb the Sierra Mountains in Argentina, it was probably one of the coolest things ever. But, here in Ohio I never get the time to climb or do anything like that. But, I frequently play basketball, baseball and soccer every week as much as I can.
    TheMakerDMB17 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2007, 03:47 PM   #6
    PilotC150
    Alpine Bound

Shows Seen: 24

My Tour Central Stats

I only condone hunting. Not shooting/killing.

Sitting in a tree with scent blocker on waiting for a dear to walk by, then sniping it at 200 yard is not hunting.

Finding and following the tracks of animals then killing them with a bow IS hunting. That's the part that takes skill. Not sitting and waiting.

That's my view on it.

Anyway, I love camping. Don't get to as much as I'd like, though. Given the opportunity I would hike, fish, camp and live off the land.

I would also love to try white water rafting.
    "People ask us all the time...."What's your favorite place to play?" Now, you got your Gorges and you got your Red Rocks and so on, but there's an inexplicable magic that envelopes Alpine Valley. The band is the first to tell you how much they like coming back."
    PilotC150 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
    dmbigeyedphish
    feels good man

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No I wouldnt have included hunting either probably. Some people who enjoy the outdoors really frown on it, so i was just making sure.

I usually bow hunt deer but I like pheasant hunting a lot too. Can't wait until fall. But I keep myself busy in the summer shooting my bow and biking. I really just find about whatever excuse i can to be outside.

Where do you paddle?
    I've paddled the Green, the Tuckaseegee, and the Pigeon River in Tennessee. The Tuckaseegee was definetely my favorite.
    Old 05-25-2007, 03:48 PM   #8
    dmbigeyedphish
    feels good man

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheMakerDMB17 View Post
    I love to be outside. It is definitely one of my favorite places to be. Last year I got to climb the Sierra Mountains in Argentina, it was probably one of the coolest things ever. But, here in Ohio I never get the time to climb or do anything like that. But, I frequently play basketball, baseball and soccer every week as much as I can.
    I'm a soccer freak. Played club ball my whole life, watch it religiously too.
    Old 05-25-2007, 03:50 PM   #9
    TheMakerDMB17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbigeyedphish View Post
    I'm a soccer freak. Played club ball my whole life, watch it religiously too.

Same here man.
    Good to see some other soccer fans around here.
    Old 05-25-2007, 03:52 PM   #10
    dmbigeyedphish
    feels good man

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheMakerDMB17 View Post
    Same here man.
    Good to see some other soccer fans around here.
    Yeah, I'm a huge EPL fan. I love Barcelona from SPL though.
    Old 05-25-2007, 03:54 PM   #11
    whyibesowhite

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Any climbers? Campers? Hikers? Paddlers? Or people who just like being outside? Here's your thread.

Me? I'm an avid climber..mostly the wall here at school...my job restricts me from going climbing elsewhere. I just recently got a job working the wall and teh storehouse distributing all kinds of gear, so that's pretty cool.

I'm also proficient in whitewater paddling..I'll be helping to teach it fulfill the requirements for my outdoor adventure leadership minor next spring. Whitewater excites me the most.
    I'd love to get into climbing.. you gave some sound advice to me before on materials and stuff.. i still have those sites saved to my favs, and have yet to try.. haha, my bad on making you give your efforts in vain.. i do want to get out there though.. it's this impenetrable fear of heights that i have, that's keeping me from such.. but i hear it makes you have buns of steel.. so i'm still trying to summon the courage.. *smacks own arse, and spins*

*crickets*

yeah..

so..

aside from that.. i also want to take advantage of the whitewater training facility we have here in Charlotte.. do you kayak?

moreover, have you tried this joint in CLT? if so, how'd you like.. does it compare to the true rapids outdoors?

i'd like to go there, to learn then head out to real rivers and such..
    Old 05-25-2007, 04:19 PM   #12
    dmbigeyedphish
    feels good man

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whyibesowhite View Post
    I'd love to get into climbing.. you gave some sound advice to me before on materials and stuff.. i still have those sites saved to my favs, and have yet to try.. haha, my bad on making you give your efforts in vain.. i do want to get out there though.. it's this impenetrable fear of heights that i have, that's keeping me from such.. but i hear it makes you have buns of steel.. so i'm still trying to summon the courage.. *smacks own arse, and spins*

*crickets*

yeah..

so..

aside from that.. i also want to take advantage of the whitewater training facility we have here in Charlotte.. do you kayak?

moreover, have you tried this joint in CLT? if so, how'd you like.. does it compare to the true rapids outdoors?

i'd like to go there, to learn then head out to real rivers and such..
    My ass has never been tighter.

My brother and I have climbed at the whitewater center but have yet to partake in any of the whitewater. The system they have their is amazing though...they are able to control the rapids and change them on a daily basis. It's definetely worth trying out.
    Old 05-25-2007, 04:25 PM   #13
    krbarrett77
    Xmas All The Time

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PilotC150 View Post

Sitting in a tree with scent blocker on waiting for a dear to walk by, then sniping it at 200 yard is not hunting.

Finding and following the tracks of animals then killing them with a bow IS hunting. That's the part that takes skill. Not sitting and waiting.

That's my view on it.

Anyway, I love camping. Don't get to as much as I'd like, though. Given the opportunity I would hike, fish, camp and live off the land.

That's not quite how hunting works...very few game allow for that sort of an opportunity. You can attempt to follow an animal's tracks, but chances are it will smell you or notice you by the time you come within the 40 feet necessary for an ethical shot. I know no one who bow hunts deer that way, I know maybe one or two who've hunted predators like coyote or bobcat that way (because they are much less responsive to game calls). I don't see the harm in finding a well traveled deer path on land you are legally allowed to hunt and putting up a stand. It's still very difficult, especially if you limit youself to certain sized deer. I havn't killed a deer in two years because I pass on anything under a nice 8pt buck or a huge doe. It's frustrating and hard, but well worth the wait when the one you've been seeing in the fields comes walking past your stand.

But I agree, rifle shooting from hundreds of yards is ridiculous. I don't see the sport, nor the point, especially if you don't want to eat it.

Last edited by krbarrett77; 05-25-2007 at 04:28 PM.
    krbarrett77 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2007, 04:51 PM   #14
    PilotC150
    Alpine Bound

Shows Seen: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's not quite how hunting works...very few game allow for that sort of an opportunity. You can attempt to follow an animal's tracks, but chances are it will smell you or notice you by the time you come within the 40 feet necessary for an ethical shot. I know no one who bow hunts deer that way, I know maybe one or two who've hunted predators like coyote or bobcat that way (because they are much less responsive to game calls). I don't see the harm in finding a well traveled deer path on land you are legally allowed to hunt and putting up a stand. It's still very difficult, especially if you limit youself to certain sized deer. I havn't killed a deer in two years because I pass on anything under a nice 8pt buck or a huge doe. It's frustrating and hard, but well worth the wait when the one you've been seeing in the fields comes walking past your stand.

But I agree, rifle shooting from hundreds of yards is ridiculous. I don't see the sport, nor the point, especially if you don't want to eat it.
    I understand it's legal. But nonetheless, as you admit, it's just waiting. You sit there and wait.

As for the bold part, I actually do know somebody that did that. The wind was in the right direction, the land was right that they could hide in a ditch, and they were within 20 feet (I think) from the deer and the animal was none the wiser. He got the shot when the deer turned, and got the kill. Now THAT is what hunting is.
    "People ask us all the time...."What's your favorite place to play?" Now, you got your Gorges and you got your Red Rocks and so on, but there's an inexplicable magic that envelopes Alpine Valley. The band is the first to tell you how much they like coming back."
    PilotC150 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2007, 05:01 PM   #15
    krbarrett77
    Xmas All The Time

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I understand it's legal. But nonetheless, as you admit, it's just waiting. You sit there and wait.

As for the bold part, I actually do know somebody that did that. The wind was in the right direction, the land was right that they could hide in a ditch, and they were within 20 feet (I think) from the deer and the animal was none the wiser. He got the shot when the deer turned, and got the kill. Now THAT is what hunting is.
    Yeah, it's really up to your definition of hunting I suppose. I'm content hunting the way I do. I consider it hunting. Patience is a skill, as is tracking. I personally enjoy incorporating both. It's really cool when you're sitting in your tree so still that squirrels start to poke around you and birds land on branches 2 feet away.

Many people do not have the land required for the intense form of tracking you've described. In many instances, it's simply not safe. Many hunters are forced to use public hunting land with other hunters close by. It can get very dangerous because bowhunting requires no bright clothing markers. Obviously it gets even more dangerous when guns are involved...just about everyone can operate a firearm...I'd say about 25% can do it safely.

I feel like i'm hijacking the thread though. i'll shutup.
    Old 05-25-2007, 05:10 PM   #16
    CornellDMBfan
    Egretologist

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I'm an outdoor enthusiast, and I support this thread.

I'll be spending my summer in the San Juan Islands as a sea kayak nature guide. During my days off, I'll be in the mountains. Can't wait!

"I think a good philosophy is: instead of 'Just say no,' just say yes, at least once." -- DM
    CornellDMBfan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2007, 05:24 PM   #17
    dmbigeyedphish
    feels good man

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CornellDMBfan View Post

I'll be spending my summer in the San Juan Islands as a sea kayak nature guide. During my days off, I'll be in the mountains. Can't wait!
    Keep us up to date! Plan on doing any climbing? I almost took up a job as a kayak guide here on the outer banks last summer.
    Old 05-25-2007, 05:31 PM   #18
    smudge1
    Unreal

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

sweet. I kayaked the San Juan Islands. Saw a pretty large pod of orcas.
    At the time I didn't think I did.
    I believe now that I do, however... but I don't care.
    smudge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2007, 06:16 PM   #19
    lizzardsauce

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I just moved to WA and I am DYING to get out and paddle in that area! I come from more of a whitewater background, but from what I have heard I cant wait to paddle in the sound.

If you care to show a newbie to the area around I would love to hang out.
    lizzardsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2007, 06:31 PM   #20
    PipeandaCrepe
    GO PACK GO!

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

virginia ants should check out old rag mountain sometime. its in sperryville and is rated as one of the best hikes on the east coast. i've done it twice and its awesome
    Old 05-25-2007, 06:44 PM   #21
    AlpineValley804
    Casey

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Love playing roller blade hockey in the driveway during late spring, all summer, and early fall. Also love to bike in these months as well.

And also, just laying on the hammock on nice warm summer night is sublime. I think I like camping less and less the more I do it. I'm really tall, so it's hard to find a sleeping bag that fits my height.
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Something about power boosts with anal plugs didn't quite put it above Shawshank Redemption for me
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    Both movies do have anal, though.
    AlpineValley804 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2007, 06:49 PM   #22
    trippinbilli40
    Give up the ghost

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

i would ball on anyone in here.
    trippinbilli40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2007, 08:03 PM   #23
    CornellDMBfan
    Egretologist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Keep us up to date! Plan on doing any climbing? I almost took up a job as a kayak guide here on the outer banks last summer.
    we'll see what kind of climbing I can get in - most of my time in the mountains will be spent backpacking and bouldering
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smudge1 View Post
    sweet. I kayaked the San Juan Islands. Saw a pretty large pod of orcas.
    awesome! once I get enough experience under my belt, I'll potentially be taking groups out for 5-hour whale-watching tours
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lizzardsauce View Post
    I just moved to WA and I am DYING to get out and paddle in that area! I come from more of a whitewater background, but from what I have heard I cant wait to paddle in the sound.

If you care to show a newbie to the area around I would love to hang out.
    definitely! keep in touch and we'll work something out! I start in two weeks

"I think a good philosophy is: instead of 'Just say no,' just say yes, at least once." -- DM
    Old 05-25-2007, 08:46 PM   #24
    TheMakerDMB17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trippinbilli40 View Post
    i would ball on anyone in here.

doubt that
    Old 05-25-2007, 08:53 PM   #25
    davehead86
    Do it for LeRoi

Shows Seen: 59

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I love to camp and just be outside as much as possible. Right now its not happening as much as Id like but I jsut need to make some more time for it.

As for an activity i really love target shooting, there is something relaxing about sighting up a target and blowing the hell out of it 50 ft - 200 yards away. Just waiting to be out of my parents house to actually go and buy a gun (7yr old in the house they would kill me).

Bar Tab - $530.50
    Alpine Valley: 03 till ???

--Concert Photos--
    davehead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2007, 09:04 PM   #26
    chevman
    [Logic will save us]

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Ah, yes. Backpacking.

I worked for the US Forest Service every summer during college and then for a couple years after graduation until an untimely parting of ways having to do with 'immoral behavior' and other tom-foolery. Put another way, the US govt unknowingly (or sometimes very knowingly depending on who you know and how you know them) pays a large number of people to smoke dope and backpack through some of the most beautiful country in this country.

You might think there are scary places you can go in the forest, but I can assure you, the scariest places are in your mind.

My 'severance' was 6 months in central america, mainly with liquid LSD.

But if you want advice, I can dish it out. Best piece of gear for anything other than extreme winter camping is a Black Diamond mega-mid and a cheap $5 plastic ground tarp. Light and bomb proof.
    chevman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-26-2007, 04:41 AM   #27
    CornellDMBfan
    Egretologist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chevman View Post
    Ah, yes. Backpacking.

I worked for the US Forest Service every summer during college and then for a couple years after graduation until an untimely parting of ways having to do with 'immoral behavior' and other tom-foolery. Put another way, the US govt unknowingly (or sometimes very knowingly depending on who you know and how you know them) pays a large number of people to smoke dope and backpack through some of the most beautiful country in this country.

You might think there are scary places you can go in the forest, but I can assure you, the scariest places are in your mind.

My 'severance' was 6 months in central america, mainly with liquid LSD.

But if you want advice, I can dish it out. Best piece of gear for anything other than extreme winter camping is a Black Diamond mega-mid and a cheap $5 plastic ground tarp. Light and bomb proof.
    I think since your time it's become far more difficult to get involved with the USFS . . . I applied to several jobs (doing trail maintenance and such) this summer (as a college grad with a Natural Resources degree) and was denied of almost all of them. Apparently there's a huge influx of apps and a decreasing number of jobs, at least in the regions I want to work. Oh, well . . . kayaking in the San Juans for the summer won't be too shabby, either! The USFS will have to wait . . .

Old 05-26-2007, 07:16 AM   #28
    JRod1229
    GATA!

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

That's my view on it.

No offense, but have you ever tried to hit something from 200+ yards with a cross wind? It isn't exactly easy... while I mainly turkey hunt and go on some dove shoots... i've been on quite a few deer runs, and have never even been able to take a shot...

Quote:
    There ain't nothing like being a bulldog on a Saturday Night... after winning a football game. I mean like whipping Tennessee's ass to start with, then ten more, then another one. This is the Game Plan. We have no alternative plan.
    - The legendary Erk Russell
    JRod1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-26-2007, 08:37 AM   #29
    chevman
    [Logic will save us]

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think since your time it's become far more difficult to get involved with the USFS . . . I applied to several jobs (doing trail maintenance and such) this summer (as a college grad with a Natural Resources degree) and was denied of almost all of them. Apparently there's a huge influx of apps and a decreasing number of jobs, at least in the regions I want to work. Oh, well . . . kayaking in the San Juans for the summer won't be too shabby, either! The USFS will have to wait . . .
    Yeah, the first season I worked was actually through a volunteer program - I did get housing and a small stipend ($20 a day), but no hourly pay. It was a foot in the door though.

Only other sure fire way to get a position is to have veteran status either through time in the armed forces or by doing a Peace Corp stint.
    chevman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-26-2007, 08:57 AM   #30
    dmbigeyedphish
    feels good man

My Tour Central Stats

Gear advice:

I recently purchased an Osprey Atmos 50 pack. It's got about a weekend's worth of space, but the pack is heavily ventilated and incredibly light. The shoulder straps and back straps are padded with ventilation holes and there is place to put a hydration pack as well. If you're willing to fork out the money, it's an amazing investment. The only drawback is that the new system they use for supporting the back and shoulders juts in and takes away some packing space, which isn't that big of a deal because if you're backpacking...you typically aren't packing that much.