*Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling) - Page 11451 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-03-2021, 07:03 PM   #343501
ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, trolling, but Hamilton discussion OK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diableri View Post
Serious question without intent of shit starting here; would it matter if you could get it right now? I consider you a reasonable person from my limited experience and you've seen first hand what can happen. I actually think your answer is pretty valuable from what I listened to today at work.

EDIT: In regards to this story today I mean.
Quote:
The church based guidance story today. Was a hot, ugly mess of a topic today in my predominately catholic health care organization.

I think the vaccine is very important and I'm all for it, I'd take a bad day of side effects over my own experience any day, I still have issues from it and don't wish my experience on anyone. That being said I do work in the biotech industry for a company that specializes in DNA and molecular research, it does make me question things when I'm being told by well informed Ph.D's (who are liberal) that the information we have is incomplete, testing of the vaccine hasn't been done correctly prior to rollout, etc.

I know as of a few weeks ago at work there was a conversation about trying to determine if Moderna or Pfizer was the better option. Moderna you are getting 100ug of a dose while Pfizer you are getting 35ug of a dose, in order to determine which is better it depends on the size of the RNA molecule that is delivering the vaccine, Pfizer is 4000bp and Moderna's is proprietary. So I do have that bug in my ear which is a well informed and opposing viewpoint.

... Edit: for clarification I run the supply chain, while surrounded by research scientists I am not one myself

As for the church I agree with pretty much everything Mandy and MOW were saying. I can see how the message may be interpreted incorrectly as being told people shouldn't get vaccinated but the correct reading of it is essentially "for ethical reasons tied to the church here are your options, Moderna and Pfizer are preferable".

Last edited by ToySoldier#34; 03-03-2021 at 07:05 PM.
ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-03-2021, 07:14 PM   #343502
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, trolling, but Hamilton discussion OK)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Part of me thinks he’d wind up like Romney - a principled conservative who I’d disagree with completely but who would ultimately stay true to themselves and not bend the knee for an authoritarian fascist.

But the other part of me thinks he would have been more of an opportunist and have joined the cult if it benefitted him.

I don’t really know. I was born after his Presidency, and I haven’t studied him as a person much at all. So I’m probably not the best resource on trying to gauge where he’d land on modern Republicanism/Trumpism.

“I will run this branch or I will DESTROY this branch. Or... I don't know. Something always works out.” - Dwight Schrute
    get a bib:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjoeVwJTUTA
    Old 03-03-2021, 07:17 PM   #343503
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Out of morbid curiosity, how you do you think Reagan would fare today?

I couldn't vote yet but he was my first president. I was aware of Ford and Carter but only in the way a kid is aware of the president. Reagan was pres when I was a teenager. Took gov/econ, went to constitutional convention competition and school toured DC.

Would love to see what Caz thinks about this too.
    I said on Friday or Saturday that I just finished "before the storm" by rick perlstein which talks about the rise of barry goldwater and what we would consider the modern republican base (religious southern white). The book ends with goldwater losing the 1964 election and talks about reagan in the early and mid 60s. He was courting the birchers, young republicans etc. Perlstein was foreshadowing that reagan was goldwater but with the charm. In truth, goldwater got done dirty a little bit by people around him, he wasn't a great politician but his views weren't as extreme as the people who REALLY liked goldwater. Johnson exploited that and basically made the case that goldwater couldn't be trusted.

The question is whether he'd be as popular because the base now is pure id. Just pure raw trump. A bully. Hard to know if he'd have the juice for the base now. But he'd be all in on what they are doing...that's my guess. I'll let you know in like 4 months if my thoughts have changed after I finish reading "nixonland" "the invisible bridge" and "reaganland"
    cazzie34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2021, 07:24 PM   #343504
    diableri
    Stay Limber

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I think the vaccine is very important and I'm all for it, I'd take a bad day of side effects over my own experience any day, I still have issues from it and don't wish my experience on anyone. That being said I do work in the biotech industry for a company that specializes in DNA and molecular research, it does make me question things when I'm being told by well informed Ph.D's (who are liberal) that the information we have is incomplete, testing of the vaccine hasn't been done correctly prior to rollout, etc.

I know as of a few weeks ago at work there was a conversation about trying to determine if Moderna or Pfizer was the better option. Moderna you are getting 100ug of a dose while Pfizer you are getting 35ug of a dose, in order to determine which is better it depends on the size of the RNA molecule that is delivering the vaccine, Pfizer is 4000bp and Moderna's is proprietary. So I do have that bug in my ear which is a well informed and opposing viewpoint.

... Edit: for clarification I run the supply chain, while surrounded by research scientists I am not one myself

As for the church I agree with pretty much everything Mandy and MOW were saying. I can see how the message may be interpreted incorrectly as being told people shouldn't get vaccinated but the correct reading of it is essentially "for ethical reasons tied to the church here are your options, Moderna and Pfizer are preferable".
    Thank you for the thorough reply. The context you listed is actually why I was interested in your answer. I am positive it will continue to be a topic at work over the next few weeks and it helps to frame those conversations for me.

I guess I'd like to push for a more direct answer though which you don't owe me at all. If tomorrow morning, knowing what you know would the hypothetical you take it regardless of which flavor? The hypothetical you that didn't have to go through it but still has the experience available to you would maybe even be more interesting to me personally.

Feel free to tell me to buzz off if you'd rather not answer for any reason. I just think the answer has value.
    diableri is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2021, 07:28 PM   #343505
    drakan
    Drums!

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Rich of the church to label something morally compromised...
    drakan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2021, 07:31 PM   #343506
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 View Post
    I watched that Reagan doc on showtime reminded me a lot of what was going on with Trump the last 4 years
    I haven't watched it yet but I would guess that this is what got me thinking about him.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post
    I said on Friday or Saturday that I just finished "before the storm" by rick perlstein which talks about the rise of barry goldwater and what we would consider the modern republican base (religious southern white). The book ends with goldwater losing the 1964 election and talks about reagan in the early and mid 60s. He was courting the birchers, young republicans etc. Perlstein was foreshadowing that reagan was goldwater but with the charm. In truth, goldwater got done dirty a little bit by people around him, he wasn't a great politician but his views weren't as extreme as the people who REALLY liked goldwater. Johnson exploited that and basically made the case that goldwater couldn't be trusted.

The question is whether he'd be as popular because the base now is pure id. Just pure raw trump. A bully. Hard to know if he'd have the juice for the base now. But he'd be all in on what they are doing...that's my guess. I'll let you know in like 4 months if my thoughts have changed after I finish reading "nixonland" "the invisible bridge" and "reaganland"
    Thanks Caz. When my mind wandered to what would Ronald Trump look like today it really was an awful feeling. Even what it'd be like to have like 2012-2014ish 65ish year old Reagan with the rest of the variables in place as they were. I kind of wish I could do this genre of reading, I'm too escapist when I read though, sanity thing probably for me.
    Old 03-03-2021, 07:31 PM   #343507
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thank you for the thorough reply. The context you listed is actually why I was interested in your answer. I am positive it will continue to be a topic at work over the next few weeks and it helps to frame those conversations for me.

I guess I'd like to push for a more direct answer though which you don't owe me at all. If tomorrow morning, knowing what you know would the hypothetical you take it regardless of which flavor? The hypothetical you that didn't have to go through it but still has the experience available to you would maybe even be more interesting to me personally.

Feel free to tell me to buzz off if you'd rather not answer for any reason. I just think the answer has value.

Yes I would personally take it regardless of having had it or not, being told contrary opinions by very well informed scientists in the field, and my views regarding the church. Family and friends are the most important thing in my life and nothing in that first sentence takes priority over them, I think by getting the vaccine I am at least trying to do what is right to protect them in addition to myself.
    Old 03-03-2021, 07:32 PM   #343508
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yes I would personally take it regardless of having had it or not, being told contrary opinions by very well informed scientists in the field, and my views regarding the church. Family and friends are the most important thing in my life and nothing in that first sentence takes priority over them, I think by getting the vaccine I am at least trying to do what is right to protect them in addition to myself.
    Thanks man, appreciate it.
    Old 03-03-2021, 07:35 PM   #343509
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thanks man, appreciate it.

Anytime, I find it all very interesting from a lot of perspectives. What is the general consensus at your work? Is there one?
    Old 03-03-2021, 07:50 PM   #343510
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Anytime, I find it all very interesting from a lot of perspectives. What is the general consensus at your work? Is there one?
    I'd say anger was the majority today. That will fade though and I would bet it'll settle down to being somewhere in 25-30% will stay mad about it and the rest will move on quickly. There will be a marketing/messaging response via community education officially.

There's a lot of overworked people who I think would have been far less upset if they hadn't been through the shitshow of the last year. These are tough people and they'll get though it. We deal with anti any vaccine people all the time and even have policies written to deal with the annuals.

Personal opinion here, they just shouldn't have to get through it. There shouldn't have to have been clarifications etc sent out and patients arriving for vax clinic appointments shouldn't have had question it over this (I think we still only have pfizer right now and it's all over the paperwork but there's a LOT of sites now). I am unaware of anywhere able to to get a dose where the patient can order off the menu anyway.
    Old 03-03-2021, 07:58 PM   #343511
    Antiramie

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'd say anger was the majority today. That will fade though and I would bet it'll settle down to being somewhere in 25-30% will stay mad about it and the rest will move on quickly. There will be a marketing/messaging response via community education officially.

There's a lot of overworked people who I think would have been far less upset if they hadn't been through the shitshow of the last year. These are tough people and they'll get though it. We deal with anti any vaccine people all the time and even have policies written to deal with the annuals.

Personal opinion here, they just shouldn't have to get through it. There shouldn't have to have been clarifications etc sent out and patients arriving for vax clinic appointments shouldn't have had question it over this (I think we still only have pfizer right now and it's all over the paperwork but there's a LOT of sites now). I am unaware of anywhere able to to get a dose where the patient can order off the menu anyway.
    I don't know what you do, but it sounds like you'd be able to answer this. Do you think people showing up to vaccine sites and then not accepting the J&J vaccine (walking out) will be a recurring thing?
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2021, 08:00 PM   #343512
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

I will absolutely get it whenever it's possible and IDGAF which one it is
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2021, 08:23 PM   #343513
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

House session cancelled tomorrow due to credible terrorist threat.
    Old 03-03-2021, 08:33 PM   #343514
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    I don't know what you do, but it sounds like you'd be able to answer this. Do you think people showing up to vaccine sites and then not accepting the J&J vaccine (walking out) will be a recurring thing?
    Simply put not significantly over time. I guess that would be defined by how much and how long we defined recurring.

More nuanced I think that it will delay some number of people, which will add pointless risk to those people and those around them. The number of people that it will delay will increase with the length of time that we have choices as well as the in-between time when people think they can wait for their preferred flavor. I'm both too ignorant of the right details and too much of a cynic on this topic at the moment to make a reliable prediction on those amounts of time though. Could be brief, could late this year; which I'd find tragic.

I work for a large hospital organization that has catholic church affiliations. These days I do mostly biostats and some logistics stuff the last year because it was all RNs on deck to bedside. Also have been doing turn team (proning, we have a medium/large ICU and wound up with a LOT of makeshift isolation beds) work to help out locally when I can because in truth, I'm a shaved gorilla that just happens to be decent with SQL and general problem solving. EDIT: I started this mess young in clinical Cards Surgery and recovery. Have been messing with charts and best practice stuff for a couple decades now.

It really set people off today though and I really can't blame them on their fourth or fifth 12-18 in a row. It's dumb problem to have.

Last edited by diableri; 03-03-2021 at 08:36 PM.
    Old 03-03-2021, 08:39 PM   #343515
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    My archdiocese said if you had a choice you should get Moderna/Pfizer, but that if all that is offered to you is J&J you can take it in good conscience. It's a nuanced message that unfortunately is going to get lost in translation and result in a lot of people refusing the J&J vaccine.

Seems like a subject that shouldn't have nuance when the divine word of God is involved. Sounds to me like "Yea, it's against our beliefs, but our beliefs certainly aren't worth dying over. Go ahead and abandon them when convenient" Which, I mean, great, just not something you expect from a religion.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 03-03-2021 at 08:48 PM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2021, 08:40 PM   #343516
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Breaking News: House Democrats passed a sweeping bill meant to lower voting barriers erected by GOP statehouses. It faces exceedingly long odds in the Senate.

Sadge
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2021, 08:51 PM   #343517
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mandy18 View Post
    If someone is confused by this message, they didn’t actually read it. They read a headline or believed what someone told them.

“While Pfizer and Moderna vaccines should be chosen over Johnson and Johnson's where possible, the US Conference of Catholic Bishops said in a statement Tuesday it is "morally acceptable" to receive vaccines when "ethically irreproachable" options are not available.
    "Given the world-wide suffering that this pandemic is causing, we affirm again that being vaccinated can be an act of charity that serves the common good," the statement said.
    The statement was an update to one released in December that echoed the Vatican's statement, saying that Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were morally acceptable despite their "remote connection to morally compromised cell lines" due to the gravity of the pandemic.”

I'm definitely confused on how this isn't a laughable equivocation.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 03-03-2021 at 09:05 PM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2021, 08:58 PM   #343518
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
    Don't even know which shot I'm signed up for. Couldn't care any less.

I didn't know what I was getting until I got to the site today.
    Old 03-03-2021, 09:09 PM   #343519
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    I'm definitely confused on how this isn't a laughable equivocation.
    “Stem cell usage is immoral unless it saves lives...starting NOW”.

Shit, you mean we could have been doing more with them til now other than using them in a seance with satan to expedite the apocalypse?

Last edited by Antiramie; 03-03-2021 at 09:14 PM.
    Old 03-03-2021, 11:31 PM   #343520
    Gene Parmesan

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Radical Republican terrorists?
    Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2021, 11:52 PM   #343521
    ricky towel

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I’m likely the one referenced here as preferring Pfizer or moderna.

Like y’all said I’m simply a stupid person.
    ricky towel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2021, 03:49 AM   #343522
    MOWJO8185

My Tour Central Stats

To the degree anyone offers me a choice I guess I'd choose Moderna or Pfizer. I'd like to not even get a mild case of covid. But if J&J is available to me tomorrow or something I'm sure as hell getting it without a second thought.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2021, 04:00 AM   #343523
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    To the degree anyone offers me a choice I guess I'd choose Moderna or Pfizer. I'd like to not even get a mild case of covid. But if J&J is available to me tomorrow or something I'm sure as hell getting it without a second thought.
    I’d take J&J if given a choice. 1 dose. Same efficacy on serious disease.
    MDPrompter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2021, 04:04 AM   #343524
    MOWJO8185

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    Seems like a subject that shouldn't have nuance when the divine word of God is involved. Sounds to me like "Yea, it's against our beliefs, but our beliefs certainly aren't worth dying over. Go ahead and abandon them when convenient" Which, I mean, great, just not something you expect from a religion.
    I don't know, part of living on this messy planet is weighing between various goods and morals all the time. Doing what is best for your neighbor is also an important church teaching.

The biggest thing to me is that at this point in distribution nobody really does have a choice as to what vaccine they get. So the statement can only result in people deciding to stay home.

In a few months when supply outweighs demand and choice maybe is a possibility, I'd be perfectly fine with the statement. I just think right now it should be a completely pro-vaccine message without stipulation.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2021, 04:09 AM   #343525
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Those dioceses knew what they were doing. Their wording was careful, but they know what the impact will be...they know how a large chunk of people will interpret it.

It’s utterly reprehensible. It will cost lives.
    Old 03-04-2021, 04:11 AM   #343526
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't know, part of living on this messy planet is weighing between various goods and morals all the time. Doing what is best for your neighbor is also an important church teaching.

The biggest thing to me is that at this point in distribution nobody really does have a choice as to what vaccine they get. So the statement can only result in people deciding to stay home.

In a few months when supply outweighs demand and choice maybe is a possibility, I'd be perfectly fine with the statement. I just think right now it should be a completely pro-vaccine message without stipulation.
    Exactly...
    Old 03-04-2021, 04:28 AM   #343527
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Ron Johnson is a clown.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2021, 04:32 AM   #343528
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If @realDonaldTrump were to lose (he won’t) his supporters will go to work tomorrow just as we do everyday. When Biden loses, his “supporters” will likely loot and riot. Tells you everything you need to know! #Trump2020

https://twitter.com/TomiLahren/statu...046465025?s=19
    cazzie34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2021, 05:40 AM   #343529
    BTBaboon

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Another 745K Americans filed a new jobless claim last week, closely in line with forecast of 750K, and slightly elevated from the prior week's 730K.

It's a bit of a race against the clock on whether or not we will hit a consecutive year, or 52 consecutive weeks, with claims above the prior all-time record. One would have hoped that by now we'd have dropped below 700K weekly claims, but the labor market continues to look like it will be the most stubborn element of the economic recovery. Tomorrow, the BLS jobs report is expected to show just +75K payrolls added; this comes after ADP's report yesterday showed +117K (well below forecast of +200K). It all highlights a sluggish jobs recovery and uphill battle, right at the moment of getting another (and likely final) stimulus passed through the US Congress.
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2021, 05:41 AM   #343530
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

CBS this morning had an interview with the Q anon shaman from prison. What the actual fuck do they think theyre doing?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote