All-Inclusive Vacation Help - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-25-2021, 08:33 AM   #91
justinandimcool
denim & sheepskin

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: All-Inclusive Vacation Help

hey what’s good w Hawaii nowadays? recs? i’m not super touristy i’d rather stay in once place but i’ve never been before

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-27-2021, 06:57 AM   #92
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

just got back from Sanctuary Cap Cana, lot of pics of facebook if any of you follow me.

Simply put, it was awesome. The food was great, the resort was beautiful, and the staff was INCREDIBLE. The entertainment staff was awesome, easily the best shows I've seen at an all-inclusive. The staff remembers your name, gets you involved, etc.

We stayed at the castle- older building and farther from the main hub but having a butler made it worth it. The walk gave us a chance to walk off our meals, and if we were all dressed up we'd text him for a ride on the golf cart. Having a butler in the castle was great- he booked our shuttle back to the airport, our covid test, our reservations for dinner or activities.

The beach was very small, but we couldnt use it anyway- the red seaweed was terrible, no matter how much they fought it. Not the resort's fault, but that is a huge consideration for us going back to certain areas of the caribbean unfortunately

if you do DR, you definitely have to do the Saona Isla excursion. It was 11 hours but the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen
    Old 07-27-2021, 08:43 AM   #93
    Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinandimcool View Post
    hey what’s good w Hawaii nowadays? recs? i’m not super touristy i’d rather stay in once place but i’ve never been before
    I'm not tapped into the current state of things in Hawaii, and I've only been once (pre-pandemic), but I would 1000% recommend going to Kauai. We did 8 days all on the island. We stayed in Princeville with plenty of day trips to different areas of the island. The Napali Coast is just stupid... some of the most beautiful landscapes I've ever seen and great hiking.

I can't compare it to other areas of Hawaii, but it's pretty quiet. There's not a ton going on there, especially on the North Shore away from some of the bigger towns on the East & South Shores. One of our best days was hiking down to a super small, secluded beach to snorkel in the AM, getting a hike in the afternoon and driving down to Hanalei for dinner that night.

Typing this is really making me want to scrap our plans to do Spain/Portugal for our honeymoon this fall and go back to Hawaii instead. October is a tricky month, though.

EDIT: none of the above is all-inclusive related by the way... whoops. We had an AirBnB and were never in it.

Last edited by Timebomb07; 07-27-2021 at 08:44 AM.
    Timebomb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-27-2021, 08:55 AM   #94
    swordo84
    . .

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Seeing this thread topped makes we want to convince my wife to overpay for an all-inclusive week from Dec 26-Jan 2. She's a school teacher so we can't just up and go during a random week in Nov, unfortunately. Given it would be over NYE we'd be stuck overpaying but given the past 18 months, I think I can talk her into it!
    swordo84 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-27-2021, 08:56 AM   #95
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

I mean being a Canadian, wouldn't that be a time you'd be circling for vacation anyway? I know as a pittsburgher my solution to winter blues is just spending as little time in pittsburgh during the winter as possible.
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-27-2021, 09:05 AM   #96
    swordo84
    . .

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    I mean being a Canadian, wouldn't that be a time you'd be circling for vacation anyway? I know as a pittsburgher my solution to winter blues is just spending as little time in pittsburgh during the winter as possible.
    Ideally we'd go in Nov or Jan when prices are lower, but unfortunately we lack that flexibility. Something that is ~$1200/week in Nov is $3000+ for the week we could go in Dec.
    swordo84 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-27-2021, 10:34 AM   #97
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timebomb07 View Post
    I'm not tapped into the current state of things in Hawaii, and I've only been once (pre-pandemic), but I would 1000% recommend going to Kauai. We did 8 days all on the island. We stayed in Princeville with plenty of day trips to different areas of the island. The Napali Coast is just stupid... some of the most beautiful landscapes I've ever seen and great hiking.

I can't compare it to other areas of Hawaii, but it's pretty quiet. There's not a ton going on there, especially on the North Shore away from some of the bigger towns on the East & South Shores. One of our best days was hiking down to a super small, secluded beach to snorkel in the AM, getting a hike in the afternoon and driving down to Hanalei for dinner that night.

Typing this is really making me want to scrap our plans to do Spain/Portugal for our honeymoon this fall and go back to Hawaii instead. October is a tricky month, though.

EDIT: none of the above is all-inclusive related by the way... whoops. We had an AirBnB and were never in it.

dude, thank you!! very inspiring lol
    Old 07-27-2021, 10:42 AM   #98
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    just got back from Sanctuary Cap Cana, lot of pics of facebook if any of you follow me.

Simply put, it was awesome. The food was great, the resort was beautiful, and the staff was INCREDIBLE. The entertainment staff was awesome, easily the best shows I've seen at an all-inclusive. The staff remembers your name, gets you involved, etc.

We stayed at the castle- older building and farther from the main hub but having a butler made it worth it. The walk gave us a chance to walk off our meals, and if we were all dressed up we'd text him for a ride on the golf cart. Having a butler in the castle was great- he booked our shuttle back to the airport, our covid test, our reservations for dinner or activities.

The beach was very small, but we couldnt use it anyway- the red seaweed was terrible, no matter how much they fought it. Not the resort's fault, but that is a huge consideration for us going back to certain areas of the caribbean unfortunately

if you do DR, you definitely have to do the Saona Isla excursion. It was 11 hours but the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen
    Glad to hear you had a good time! My wife keeps mentioning the butler to people when telling them about our trip and I keep thinking it's probably not as glamorous as you think, but that does sound pretty dope.

Sucks to hear about the beach. We had the same issue on our honeymoon in Cancun. Just seems to be a problem in many of the resort-heavy areas unfortunately.
    GSUdawg521 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-27-2021, 11:18 AM   #99
    Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinandimcool View Post
    dude, thank you!! very inspiring lol
    haha, I can't gush about Kauai enough. Only real downside is lack of food options on the North Shore, but like... it's a non-issue.

If you end up considering a trip, happy to provide recommendations.
    Timebomb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-27-2021, 02:27 PM   #100
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

PM me your FB, between this trip and our mutual love of golf I feel like we should be friends

Glad to hear you had a great time, though. We didn't have the red tide issue on our trip, so that's a bummer. The butler thing is pretty sick, I honestly kind of forgot about that to be honest . The castle really is the move, as cool as the cabanas looked I think there was something just really unique about the castle. Did you hang out at the upper castle pool at all? They were building out that upper area around the pool when we were there, it seemed like it was going to be really nice.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GSUdawg521 View Post
    Glad to hear you had a good time! My wife keeps mentioning the butler to people when telling them about our trip and I keep thinking it's probably not as glamorous as you think, but that does sound pretty dope.

Sucks to hear about the beach. We had the same issue on our honeymoon in Cancun. Just seems to be a problem in many of the resort-heavy areas unfortunately.
    When are you going again? All this Sanctuary talk makes me want to look into booking a trip next year now
    Old 07-27-2021, 03:58 PM   #101
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    PM me your FB, between this trip and our mutual love of golf I feel like we should be friends

Glad to hear you had a great time, though. We didn't have the red tide issue on our trip, so that's a bummer. The butler thing is pretty sick, I honestly kind of forgot about that to be honest . The castle really is the move, as cool as the cabanas looked I think there was something just really unique about the castle. Did you hang out at the upper castle pool at all? They were building out that upper area around the pool when we were there, it seemed like it was going to be really nice.

dude Noles is about golf

yeah we went to that pool a couple times kind of at the end of the day, but we never really hung out there. Wanted to be part of the action. The entertainment staff was amazing and my wife kinda had a thing for Black Diamond
    Old 07-27-2021, 07:37 PM   #102
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post

When are you going again? All this Sanctuary talk makes me want to look into booking a trip next year now
    Ours is at the end of September
    Old 07-28-2021, 03:52 AM   #103
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    dude Noles is about golf

yeah we went to that pool a couple times kind of at the end of the day, but we never really hung out there. Wanted to be part of the action. The entertainment staff was amazing and my wife kinda had a thing for Black Diamond
    Now you’re catching on!
    Old 07-28-2021, 05:20 AM   #104
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

How was your airport experience in DR? I mentioned my experience earlier in the thread but that was probably three years ago. Just seemed a lot less organized than flying into Cancun or somewhere else.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2021, 06:19 AM   #105
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ascf33 View Post
    How was your airport experience in DR? I mentioned my experience earlier in the thread but that was probably three years ago. Just seemed a lot less organized than flying into Cancun or somewhere else.
    Mexico took longer to get through customs, but the DR airport was super unorganized...

- wait in an absurdly long line to get to the boarding pass kiosks (8 kiosks, 3 out of order)

- wait in absurdly long line for baggage check, where they then give you COVID papers to sign, but dont have any pens. This took forever

- go through "customs"....i had 2 water bottles clearly visible in the side pocket of my backpack that I forgot to get rid of and nobody caught it lol

It just seemed unorganized. About 2 hrs from drop off to getting to our hanger, just because of things like kiosks out of order and them not giving out COVID papers while people were waiting in line
    Old 07-28-2021, 06:40 AM   #106
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah that Cancun customs line is a bitch when it's crowded. Depends on if other plans arrive at the same time.
    Old 07-28-2021, 09:45 AM   #107
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

DR was super easy when we landed. Wife wanted to stop at the bathroom, I was like "fuck that"

We got to the first customs line, maybe 5 people ahead of us, but then a minute later the zig zag line was completely full. Got through that in a few mins, then they just waved us after we got our bags. It was maybe 30 minutes from the time we landed until the time we got in the shuttle
    Old 07-28-2021, 12:19 PM   #108
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

I also recall a weird thing about picking up your bags in DR where there was a dude, who did not look official in any way, comparing the tag on the checked bag to the tag on your ticket. He took a sticker or put a sticker on or something. That took an extra 15 or so minutes that made no sense.
    Old 07-28-2021, 12:23 PM   #109
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

My Tour Central Stats

Speaking of that, something I remember at the Cancun airport when we landed there -- and I'm spotty on the details, but it was something like a conveyor/scanner we had to put our bags through on the way out and either a red light or a green light came up. Like green you were good to go. Red, I dunno, they did something? I just remember it feeling like a game and we didn't know what the criteria was, but we both got green lights and kept going

edit: found it, it was more absurd than I thought. You physically pressed a button yourself and hoped for the best guess they phased it out now

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/cus...light-lottery/

Last edited by GSUdawg521; 07-28-2021 at 12:26 PM.
    Old 07-28-2021, 01:24 PM   #110
    cpxc.

Shows Seen: 119

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    - go through "customs"....i had 2 water bottles clearly visible in the side pocket of my backpack that I forgot to get rid of and nobody caught it lol
    I heard the MSG security team all quit and now work at the DR airport.

shame those water bottles weren't filled with vodka.
    Old 07-28-2021, 01:48 PM   #111
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GSUdawg521 View Post
    Speaking of that, something I remember at the Cancun airport when we landed there -- and I'm spotty on the details, but it was something like a conveyor/scanner we had to put our bags through on the way out and either a red light or a green light came up. Like green you were good to go. Red, I dunno, they did something? I just remember it feeling like a game and we didn't know what the criteria was, but we both got green lights and kept going

edit: found it, it was more absurd than I thought. You physically pressed a button yourself and hoped for the best guess they phased it out now

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/cus...light-lottery/
    hahahah yes the red light/green light thing. Good lord. We've been maybe 8 or 9 times to Cancun airport and never got a red light. But one time there was this giant wedding party in the lane next to us and they had so much shit and like 10 people and just looked like a goddamn trainwreck. They got redlighted and the bride just started crying. My wife and I just put our heads down and went to buy duty free booze.
    Old 07-28-2021, 03:44 PM   #112
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cpxc. View Post
    I heard the MSG security team all quit and now work at the DR airport.

shame those water bottles weren't filled with vodka.
    made the same comment to becky

Still can't believe we walked into MSG with a handle of vodka, gatorade bottles, beer, and wawa hoagies
    Old 08-01-2021, 02:39 PM   #113
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

anyone been to st lucia?
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-07-2021, 07:00 AM   #114
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    We decided on going to Excellence Oyster Bay - Jamaica for a week in Aug/Sep. Looking forward to it.
    Got back from Jamaica. Had a great time. The food was out of this world. We thought it was better than EPM. The only "downside" was that everyone really does operate on "island time". Service is slow and not always with a smile. Once we got used to that everything was great.
    Old 09-07-2021, 07:24 AM   #115
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

My Tour Central Stats

soon come, mon
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-07-2021, 01:41 PM   #116
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Got back from Jamaica. Had a great time. The food was out of this world. We thought it was better than EPM. The only "downside" was that everyone really does operate on "island time". Service is slow and not always with a smile. Once we got used to that everything was great.
    were both Excellence resorts pretty much the same? It's the main reason we didnt do Excellence again. It was awesome in Riviera Maya but we wanted to try something new
    Old 09-07-2021, 01:50 PM   #117
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    were both Excellence resorts pretty much the same? It's the main reason we didnt do Excellence again. It was awesome in Riviera Maya but we wanted to try something new
    Not entirely but kind of? In terms of the properties, they are all laid out different, depending on location and space. The pools a different. The beach is different. Like EPM and Riveria Maya are both older now. At least 15+ years. So they seem dated if you go to any of their newer resorts or ones that have been remodeled. The DR and Jamaica resorts are both gorgeous and modern and architecturally much different. They have the better rooms too. The private pool and deck and all that. A lot more modern.

But at the crux, there is a lot they just replicate in all of the resorts. The spa is the same. All of the restaurants are the same. Replace the Mexican restaurant with a Dominican or a Jamaican etc.

Last edited by Ascf33; 09-07-2021 at 01:51 PM.
    Old 09-07-2021, 01:54 PM   #118
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

This is how I'd rank them:
    Playa Mujeres
    Oyster Bay
    Riveria Maya
    Punta Cana
    El Carmen
    Old 09-07-2021, 02:55 PM   #119
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

wow you've been to all of those places? I wish we could do more all-inclusives. We went to RM 10 years ago so it was newer at the time
    Old 09-07-2021, 03:07 PM   #120
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

we went to EPM on our honeymoon and then just recreated it like 9 times now.