**The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread** - Page 763 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-15-2021, 05:47 AM   #22861
Mikeap

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

Not much that I see on the list. Just the Corea/Hampton, but it's regional, so doubtful I'll be able to find it.
Mikeap is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-16-2021, 09:12 AM   #22862
    dmbongreyst

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

That maybe the least appealing list I’ve seen for RSD
    Old 09-16-2021, 02:49 PM   #22863
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbongreyst View Post
    Most definitely
    Old 09-17-2021, 07:21 AM   #22864
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

i need that little feat album for sure

i don't see much else on there for me...

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-18-2021, 06:52 AM   #22865
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

All right, I'm gonna take the plunge on that VMP 36 Chambers
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-28-2021, 06:55 AM   #22866
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

^ This arrived yesterday and I'm spinning A/B this morning before work. Given the horror stories I've heard from others about past pressings, I'm pretty pleased

The sound is pretty clean — not picking up much in the way of surface noise

It could use a little more punch, but I suspect this might be one of the better pressings of 36 Chambers on wax
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-28-2021, 07:09 AM   #22867
    RAPUNZEL13
    They Attack!

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbongreyst View Post
    Thought it was just me, but didn’t wanna say anything. Lol. Definitely underwhelming
    Old 09-30-2021, 03:52 PM   #22868
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Got crazy and pre-ordered the Nevermind 30th anniversary Super-Deluxe edition. I'm whatever on the actual album but really interested in the 4 live shows included.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2021, 04:24 PM   #22869
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

That list is brutal. Good lord
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2021, 07:20 PM   #22870
    zumajed

Shows Seen: 76

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Got crazy and pre-ordered the Nevermind 30th anniversary Super-Deluxe edition. I'm whatever on the actual album but really interested in the 4 live shows included.

Same here. I’d regret passing up those 4 live shows if it sold out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    zumajed is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2021, 10:48 AM   #22871
    snake911

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I keep trying to decide if I need to SD for the live albums or not, I have the Reading and Paramount shows and I can't imagine any of the 4 being vastly different/better than those. That Paramount show is my go to for Nevermind era live stuff.
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-02-2021, 05:51 AM   #22872
    magnumdan
    slow but speeding

Shows Seen: 180

DMB Hub Stubs: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snake911 View Post
    For any The Mars Volta fans out there, the new Clouds Hill pressing of Frances the Mute is spectacular. The band finally made due on their promise to put out their “pristine” version of the catalog. I may need to go back and get the CH version of Deloused. This sounds so fucking good.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magnumdan View Post
    Think will this stick around it should I scoop it up now?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snake911 View Post
    Might be gone already? I know Deloused sold out pretty quickly. That said, I'd be surprised if they didn't do a repress down the line and after they finish this first CP roll out of the catalog. Demand has been pretty high for these, and I'm thrilled they got it right.
    Thanks again for posting this snake! My wife ordered it for me and I listened to it yesterday and it sounds fantastic. The way they end each side of the record with the endless loop is a great touch.
    firedncr4136 #40
    magnumdan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-08-2021, 09:05 PM   #22873
    Floyd47

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone know if the Hamilton 4 LP Broadway cast recording was remastered for vinyl? I’m listening to the album on CD right now and I think it sounds pretty good, just curious if anyone has the vinyl set and knows if it’s worth getting for better sound quality.
    Old 10-10-2021, 06:34 PM   #22874
    winterscold
    Here, here

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I just got into this bullshit about a year ago. It's been great having something physical again despite how finicky it all is. But pilfering the used section at records stores for my favorite jazz albums has been something keeping me sane this last year.

Also, if there are any VMP members, you'll be getting one of my stickers in your order this December.

Last edited by winterscold; 10-10-2021 at 06:36 PM.
    winterscold is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-10-2021, 07:42 PM   #22875
    winterscold
    Here, here

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Floyd47 View Post
    I recently bought a new cart - an Audio Technica VM95ML - for my Rega P3. It’s a micro linear stylus. Can anyone point me in the right direction for instructions and a good protractor? Previously used the carts that came mounted on my UTurn and then the P3, so new to mounting and aligning a cart.
    There are a few different philosophies on record protractors. I just have a cheap Ortofon-branded protractor that has served me well.
    Old 10-10-2021, 07:49 PM   #22876
    winterscold
    Here, here

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    RSDBF list is up

https://recordstoreday.com/NewsItem/9813

Few things I wouldn't mind grabbing. Nothing I couldn't live without. Mostly interested in Fleetwood Mac, Jimi Hendrix, Roy Buchanon and Jason Isbell. The Larry Coryell & the 11th House album is super cool if you're into jazz fusion. Listening to that one for the first time now.
    I'd pick up that Sun Ra if the price isn't outrageous. Also, Live-Evil would be a dope thing to own. Nothing else is quite grabbing me, though.
    Old 10-14-2021, 11:09 AM   #22877
    snake911

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by magnumdan View Post
    Thanks again for posting this snake! My wife ordered it for me and I listened to it yesterday and it sounds fantastic. The way they end each side of the record with the endless loop is a great touch.
    Very nice, glad you were able to get one. Those locked groves are perfectly done, and the album sounds magnificent. I'm still in awe of it everything I play it.
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-14-2021, 11:41 AM   #22878
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Maybe The Wrens Secaucus being on there means Meadowlands is eventually coming? maybbee
    Old 10-19-2021, 07:18 PM   #22879
    Floyd47

My Tour Central Stats

A few days ago Amazon cancelled my order of the Phish Lawn Boy colored LP due to unavailability. Anyone else order one and receive it?
    Old 10-23-2021, 07:51 AM   #22880
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

https://www.deepdiscount.com/live-at...e/787790335252

Live at Shoals Theatre 4 LP set for $16. Killer release and heard good things about the pressing. Helluva deal. I know DBT fans probably already have it but worth the grab if you're into Isbell or DBT and haven't yet.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2021, 05:13 PM   #22881
    rmp207

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Cool article. The entire thing through the link.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/21/a...e=articleShare

Within the Indianapolis office of Joyful Noise Recordings, a specialty label that caters to vinyl-loving fans of underground rock, is a corner that employees call the “lathe cave.”

There sits a Presto 6N record lathe — a 1940s-vintage machine the size of a microwave that makes records by cutting a groove into a blank vinyl platter. Unlike most standard records, which are pressed by the hundreds or thousands, each lathe-cut disc must be created individually.

“It’s incredibly laborious,” said Karl Hofstetter, the label’s founder. “If a song is three minutes long, it takes three minutes to make every one.”

This ancient technology — scuffed and dinged, the lathe looks like something from a World War II submarine — is a key part of Joyful Noise’s strategy to survive the very surge of vinyl popularity the label has helped fuel. Left for dead with the advent of CDs in the 1980s, vinyl records are now the music industry’s most popular and highest-grossing physical format, with fans choosing it for collectibility, sound quality or simply the tactile experience of music in an age of digital ephemerality. After growing steadily for more than a decade, LP sales exploded during the pandemic.

In the first six months of this year, 17 million vinyl records were sold in the United States, generating $467 million in retail revenue, nearly double the amount from the same period in 2020, according to the Recording Industry Association of America. Sixteen million CDs were also sold in the first half of 2021, worth just $205 million. Physical recordings are now just a sliver of the overall music business — streaming is 84 percent of domestic revenue — but they can be a strong indication of fan loyalty, and stars like Taylor Swift and Olivia Rodrigo make vinyl an important part of their marketing.

Yet there are worrying signs that the vinyl bonanza has exceeded the industrial capacity needed to sustain it. Production logjams and a reliance on balky, decades-old pressing machines have led to what executives say are unprecedented delays. A couple of years ago, a new record could be turned around in a few months; now it can take up to a year, wreaking havoc on artists’ release plans.

Kevin Morby, a singer-songwriter from Kansas City, Kan., said that his latest LP, “A Night at the Little Los Angeles,” barely arrived in time to sell on his fall tour. And he is one of the lucky ones. Artists from the Beach Boys to Tyler, the Creator have seen their vinyl held up recently.

“It’s almost how I feel about playing live music,” Morby said in an interview. “I now count every show as a success. ‘Wow, we pulled it off — no one got Covid.’ Now I know what it’s like for the world to completely stop. So even if it’s going to be a little late I’m still grateful for that.”

For Joyful Noise, the vinyl crunch has also presented a puzzling problem. Up to 500 V.I.P. customers pay the label $200 a year for special editions of every LP it makes. But the production holdups mean the label cannot predict which titles will be ready during 2022.

“How do we in good conscience sell this for next year,” Hofstetter said, “if we don’t know when these records will show up?”

The label’s solution is to make lathe-cut singles for each of the eight albums it intends to release next year, as placeholder bonuses while its customers wait. Doing so will cost Joyful Noise money and time — Hofstetter groaned as we calculated that eight records with five minutes of music per side, cut 500 times each, would take 666 hours of lathe work — but the label sees it as a necessary investment.
    rmp207 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2021, 04:45 PM   #22882
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Dave’s Picks Vol 1 on vinyl. This show is up there with the ‘77 Cornell and Buffalo releases

https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-...a-5-25-77.html
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-28-2021, 07:07 AM   #22883
    winterscold
    Here, here

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmp207 View Post
    Cool article. The entire thing through the link.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/21/a...e=articleShare

Within the Indianapolis office of Joyful Noise Recordings, a specialty label that caters to vinyl-loving fans of underground rock, is a corner that employees call the “lathe cave.”

There sits a Presto 6N record lathe — a 1940s-vintage machine the size of a microwave that makes records by cutting a groove into a blank vinyl platter. Unlike most standard records, which are pressed by the hundreds or thousands, each lathe-cut disc must be created individually.

“It’s incredibly laborious,” said Karl Hofstetter, the label’s founder. “If a song is three minutes long, it takes three minutes to make every one.”

This ancient technology — scuffed and dinged, the lathe looks like something from a World War II submarine — is a key part of Joyful Noise’s strategy to survive the very surge of vinyl popularity the label has helped fuel. Left for dead with the advent of CDs in the 1980s, vinyl records are now the music industry’s most popular and highest-grossing physical format, with fans choosing it for collectibility, sound quality or simply the tactile experience of music in an age of digital ephemerality. After growing steadily for more than a decade, LP sales exploded during the pandemic.

In the first six months of this year, 17 million vinyl records were sold in the United States, generating $467 million in retail revenue, nearly double the amount from the same period in 2020, according to the Recording Industry Association of America. Sixteen million CDs were also sold in the first half of 2021, worth just $205 million. Physical recordings are now just a sliver of the overall music business — streaming is 84 percent of domestic revenue — but they can be a strong indication of fan loyalty, and stars like Taylor Swift and Olivia Rodrigo make vinyl an important part of their marketing.

Yet there are worrying signs that the vinyl bonanza has exceeded the industrial capacity needed to sustain it. Production logjams and a reliance on balky, decades-old pressing machines have led to what executives say are unprecedented delays. A couple of years ago, a new record could be turned around in a few months; now it can take up to a year, wreaking havoc on artists’ release plans.

Kevin Morby, a singer-songwriter from Kansas City, Kan., said that his latest LP, “A Night at the Little Los Angeles,” barely arrived in time to sell on his fall tour. And he is one of the lucky ones. Artists from the Beach Boys to Tyler, the Creator have seen their vinyl held up recently.

“It’s almost how I feel about playing live music,” Morby said in an interview. “I now count every show as a success. ‘Wow, we pulled it off — no one got Covid.’ Now I know what it’s like for the world to completely stop. So even if it’s going to be a little late I’m still grateful for that.”

For Joyful Noise, the vinyl crunch has also presented a puzzling problem. Up to 500 V.I.P. customers pay the label $200 a year for special editions of every LP it makes. But the production holdups mean the label cannot predict which titles will be ready during 2022.

“How do we in good conscience sell this for next year,” Hofstetter said, “if we don’t know when these records will show up?”

The label’s solution is to make lathe-cut singles for each of the eight albums it intends to release next year, as placeholder bonuses while its customers wait. Doing so will cost Joyful Noise money and time — Hofstetter groaned as we calculated that eight records with five minutes of music per side, cut 500 times each, would take 666 hours of lathe work — but the label sees it as a necessary investment.
    I love Kevin Morby.
    Old 11-02-2021, 10:34 AM   #22884
    RAPUNZEL13
    They Attack!

My Tour Central Stats

So my vintage pioneer receiver crapped out and I don’t want to spend more money (again) to fix it. I’m really torn on what to get. Looking at the integrated amplifier route, but don’t really want to spend more than 1K. I’ve got a pair of old Klipsch KG2 speakers that I’d be powering. Reading a lot about Rega. I’ve been researching for days and still can’t decide what to do. The Marantz PM8006 also looks decent.
    Old 11-02-2021, 11:28 AM   #22885
    but1well
    love baby

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RAPUNZEL13 View Post
    So my vintage pioneer receiver crapped out and I don’t want to spend more money (again) to fix it. I’m really torn on what to get. Looking at the integrated amplifier route, but don’t really want to spend more than 1K. I’ve got a pair of old Klipsch KG2 speakers that I’d be powering. Reading a lot about Rega. I’ve been researching for days and still can’t decide what to do. The Marantz PM8006 also looks decent.
    Which pioneer did you have?
    This is literally the opposite of communism. Now, if they came out and cancelled all seats and said you are all to sit on the lawn, as peasant equals, you'd have an argument.
    but1well is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-02-2021, 02:41 PM   #22886
    Floyd47

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RAPUNZEL13 View Post
    What kind of power (watts) are you looking for? I have a Music Hall A15.3 integrated amp which is 50w into 8 ohm and 75w into 4 ohm. It retails for $550 and has been fantastic with all the speakers I’ve used it with - Revel M106s, Wharfedale Dentons 80th and Wharfedale Diamond 225s.

Yamaha also has a couple integrated amps under $1k. I think one is around $500 and one is $800. I haven’t personally used either, but they seem to be well reviewed. I’ve also read good things about the Rega Brio, but it was a little pricey for me at $950 for 50W.
    Old 11-03-2021, 06:32 AM   #22887
    RAPUNZEL13
    They Attack!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by but1well View Post
    Which pioneer did you have?
    It is the Pioneer SX-6000. I keep having the same issue with the left channel fuse going out, as well as the phono input not working. The phono issue isn’t a huge deal since I have a phono pre. I had it serviced about 2 years ago and I’m just tired of dumping money into it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Floyd47 View Post
    What kind of power (watts) are you looking for? I have a Music Hall A15.3 integrated amp which is 50w into 8 ohm and 75w into 4 ohm. It retails for $550 and has been fantastic with all the speakers I’ve used it with - Revel M106s, Wharfedale Dentons 80th and Wharfedale Diamond 225s.

Yamaha also has a couple integrated amps under $1k. I think one is around $500 and one is $800. I haven’t personally used either, but they seem to be well reviewed. I’ve also read good things about the Rega Brio, but it was a little pricey for me at $950 for 50W.
    Honestly not too sure about the power. Wasn’t looking for a certain wattage. Just something powerful enough for my speakers basically.

I’ll check out the music hall. Haven’t heard much about that one. I did hear a lot of chatter with the Yamahas. Was looking at the Yamaha A-S801. Looks like a beast
    Old 11-03-2021, 08:38 PM   #22888
    zumajed

Shows Seen: 76

My Tour Central Stats

https://www.insider.com/ed-sheeran-f...vinyls-2021-11

Interesting vinyl plant industry info…

Ed Sheeran’s album came out this week but was finished in July so that it could be scheduled for vinyl printing. "The album wasn't, like, finished this week and then handed in. I handed it in in July 'cause it had to get printed on vinyl," he said. "There's like, three vinyl factories in the world, so you have to do it really [early]. And Adele had basically booked out all the vinyl factories, so we had to get a slot and get our album in there." Sheeran also mentioned Coldplay, Taylor Swift, ABBA, and Elton John, since they were all "trying to get vinyls printed at the same time."

zumajed is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-04-2021, 04:42 AM   #22889
    but1well
    love baby

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zumajed View Post
    https://www.insider.com/ed-sheeran-f...vinyls-2021-11

Interesting vinyl plant industry info…

Ed Sheeran’s album came out this week but was finished in July so that it could be scheduled for vinyl printing. "The album wasn't, like, finished this week and then handed in. I handed it in in July 'cause it had to get printed on vinyl," he said. "There's like, three vinyl factories in the world, so you have to do it really [early]. And Adele had basically booked out all the vinyl factories, so we had to get a slot and get our album in there." Sheeran also mentioned Coldplay, Taylor Swift, ABBA, and Elton John, since they were all "trying to get vinyls printed at the same time."

Glad to hear Adele is clogging up the vinyl pressing plants with her shitty music
    This is literally the opposite of communism. Now, if they came out and cancelled all seats and said you are all to sit on the lawn, as peasant equals, you'd have an argument.
    but1well is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-04-2021, 04:49 AM   #22890
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Adele is a goddess, you watch your tongue!!!

Also, not sure what Ed is talking about, there’s WAY more than 3 pressing plants.
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote