***Official Boxed Fireball @ Gorge 2018 - now with extra poutine*** - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #121
bustedstuff88

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Boxed Fireball @ Gorge 2018***

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGirl View Post
You need to talk to Cody our resident wook.

I believe he's on Jam Cruise at the moment though.
Do you know his ants username? Ill PM him

2022: Alpine x2, Gorge x3, Minneapolis
bustedstuff88 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #122
    madpiker

Shows Seen: 132

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

#doofiesighting

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bustedstuff88 View Post
    Everything im reading on the FAQ's is leading me to go with basic camping.

Sleep is overrated people.

I like where your head's at.

Quote:
    The only thing giving me pause is that ill be a very late Thursday or even early Friday arrival...If im in the general camping area do I need to be concerned of getting stuck in an undesirable area of camp?

Would a higher priced tier allow me to not worry because you get a "reserved" spot or is it still first come first serve in that regard?

Working on finding this info myself through the FAQ's as much as possible but some of this information im just not seeing.
    general camping will be 25% full max on thursday. most people arrive friday. you'd be fine either way without question

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    I would argue that the entirety of the general camping area meets the definition of an undesirable area of camp
    this just simply isn't accurate.

Quote:
    Can someone give me an unbiased opinion of the party scene at wildhorse? Im not going to be raging or acting a fool, but im also not incredibly interested in calming down at midnight. I want people to mingle with in the wee hours!

With this in mind, can I go to Wildhorse and still have unimpeded fun or am I better off looking elsewhere?
    wildhorse isn't a party scene at all. CERTAINLY not an after hours party scene. they have a pretty strict quiet time, and it is enforced. never stayed there but know tons of people that have.

based on the way you're talking, you need premier or standard venue camping, without a doubt.
    Gorge FAQ ---Gorge Roster/Flag list
    madpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #123
    bustedstuff88

Shows Seen: 49

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madpiker View Post
    #doofiesighting

I like where your head's at.

general camping will be 25% full max on thursday. most people arrive friday. you'd be fine either way without question

this just simply isn't accurate.

wildhorse isn't a party scene at all. CERTAINLY not an after hours party scene. they have a pretty strict quiet time, and it is enforced. never stayed there but know tons of people that have.

based on the way you're talking, you need premier or standard venue camping, without a doubt.
    Thanks for all this. The more I research it the more I agree. Premier vs. wildhorse is essentially the same price so im cool with dropping a bit of extra coin to be in premier over standard, even if the differences in amenities arent super drastic. Hopefully can get in a spot with a good view!

2022: Alpine x2, Gorge x3, Minneapolis
    bustedstuff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #124
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flames_theman View Post
    $54.90 fees for premier camping? Am I the only one this seems high too?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mHeiser92 View Post
    I thought it was a bit excessive as well
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
    Folks on the WH boards think it might be a glich. I haven't looked at it yet, but sounds like it shows the max fee (which I assume is Terrace) regardless of which level you select (just to cover best case scenario when doing Temps); and there's an opt-out box that also effects it?
    here's my theory, not that anyone cares:

the "convenience fee" default is set at 10% of the face value of the ticket. that's across all tickets, be they pit, reserve, lawn, parking, etc.

however, for the premium packages, they set a fee of $15, presumably because 32.50 is just raking you over the coals.

the point being, someone has to physically change the fee on the premium packages from 32.50 to 15.00.

My guess is that they neglected to do that for the camping package(s), and so the computer is reading the 10% instruction, thus a 54.90 terrace camping fee (which is listed for all things because as Peter said they list the highest possible fee your order could incur)
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2018, 11:57 AM   #125
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

I'm in for the boxed fireball bonanza this year again.
    Old 01-17-2018, 12:22 PM   #126
    TommydCat

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    what did they charge you for oasis in 2016?
    I think it was just under a grand, but I'd have to look it up - cancelled our RV rental and recouped the Tearass and Premier, bud passes we acquired by the time Oasis opened and wound up ahead of where we started...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joeyray34 View Post
    id be curious about what goes down around midnight at the oasis...
    Not a damned thing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
    Old 01-17-2018, 12:22 PM   #127
    iLikedmb12
    We'll be burning one...

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Can someone give me an unbiased opinion of the party scene at wildhorse? Im not going to be raging or acting a fool, but im also not incredibly interested in calming down at midnight. I want people to mingle with in the wee hours!

With this in mind, can I go to Wildhorse and still have unimpeded fun or am I better off looking elsewhere?

I've stayed there a few years in the past. The party scene during the day is but as others have said they do have a quiet time and it is enforced.

iLikedmb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #128
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TommydCat View Post
    I think it was just under a grand, but I'd have to look it up - cancelled our RV rental and recouped the Tearass and Premier, bud passes we acquired by the time Oasis opened and wound up ahead of where we started...
    interesting. I'd definitely love that, but oasis for 3 nights during something called the "above and beyond group therapy" festival in 2017 was 1,239.

with DMB being 4 nights I'd assume more than that this year, but who knows
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2018, 12:31 PM   #129
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Is it time to start the Gorge countdown yet?
    Old 01-17-2018, 12:34 PM   #130
    madpiker

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    you're in for everything/show. how realistic is this one? we need you back at gorge!

Quote:
    Is it time to start the Gorge countdown yet?
    yes. Russ is floating on a boat somewhere right now, a lot of help he is!
    Old 01-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #131
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    you're in for everything/show. how realistic is this one? we need you back at gorge!

yes. Russ is floating on a boat somewhere right now, a lot of help he is!
    unless the FAA academy wants me during gorge, I'm in. Friend requested WH premier for us, so I'll be there. Probably. Another friend is camping in Wildhorse, so if he gets denied premier I may end up there but 100% I'm in for Gorge. Still trying to figure out Texas, but I badly want to be at the tour opener after a year off.
    Old 01-17-2018, 12:38 PM   #132
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Old 01-17-2018, 12:48 PM   #133
    TommydCat

My Tour Central Stats

I don't think we have a social breakdown of camping, so I'll give it a shot for those asking about quiet/privacy and maybe others can add:

In district 9^H^H^Hgeneral camping, the late, late night party scene is strictly dependent on the weather. It can get VERY COLD or VERY WET at night at the Gorge -- either of which or the combination will kill the party after the show. However, if it's nice out, the partying will go until the sun. Bring earplugs and you won't have to gamble. 2016 the scene was weak-sauce, according to scouts from Premier, bud.

They have clamped down on the mega concert sound systems later at night compared to before, but it can still get quite loud and they don't tend to police this side as often.

Premier tends to be a bit more chill, as some folks actually believe that paying a bit more will get them nicer neighbors a bit further away, but that's certainly not guaranteed by anyone. I find that in this tier it really helps to reach out to neighbors to set expectations (determine friends and enemies so you can figure if you need to move before it gets dark). There are several crews that build camper and tent villages when they arrive, and it might behoove you to get to know those neighbors before you leave to meet them

Weather doesn't affect this tier quite as much because of the crew situation. The camp infrastructure is usually more advanced and supports bad-weather activity, so you'll generally find more activity but localized to specific camps/villages.

Tearass tends to be anything but. Security will talk to really loud folks more often, but it's usually not an issue in the RV parking area, though I'm not sure how the tent folk fair. It's over the hill a bit from Premier with D9 on the other side, so it's typically much quieter than "standard". There's always at least one jackass, so figure out where they parked... Regardless of weather, it'll likely be quiet (except for jackass).

Gold - you tend to get much more area to yourselves and typically keeps it calm and isolated (until you walk into a venue with 20K people). Great place to be from when post-partying...

Oasis - it's a shared front yard scenario with plenty of space and VIP/lounge tents to hang in if you need more space. There's access to basically every other camp level, but it's a hike or bike ride to get there (the OG campground is on the other side of the venue). If you can afford to sleep here, you can afford to Uber from Premier, bud. Good weather - folks milling about and lounging; bad weather - everyone's in their own tents.

Cave B - don't really know the privacy situation, but we'll start rumors (Dave filmed his House appearance in the underground studio there?)
    Old 01-17-2018, 01:17 PM   #134
    jordanbball17
    Black lives matter

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

You will be able to "mingle" at Wildhorse after midnight, but that doesn't mean drinking games or any music. Just lowlevel talking. I think you'd be happier in some type of standard Gorge camping.
    Old 01-17-2018, 01:42 PM   #135
    madpiker

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TommydCat View Post
    I don't think we have a social breakdown of camping, so I'll give it a shot for those asking about quiet/privacy and maybe others can add:

In district 9^H^H^Hgeneral camping, the late, late night party scene is strictly dependent on the weather. It can get VERY COLD or VERY WET at night at the Gorge -- either of which or the combination will kill the party after the show. However, if it's nice out, the partying will go until the sun. Bring earplugs and you won't have to gamble. 2016 the scene was weak-sauce, according to scouts from Premier, bud.

They have clamped down on the mega concert sound systems later at night compared to before, but it can still get quite loud and they don't tend to police this side as often.

Premier tends to be a bit more chill, as some folks actually believe that paying a bit more will get them nicer neighbors a bit further away, but that's certainly not guaranteed by anyone. I find that in this tier it really helps to reach out to neighbors to set expectations (determine friends and enemies so you can figure if you need to move before it gets dark). There are several crews that build camper and tent villages when they arrive, and it might behoove you to get to know those neighbors before you leave to meet them

Weather doesn't affect this tier quite as much because of the crew situation. The camp infrastructure is usually more advanced and supports bad-weather activity, so you'll generally find more activity but localized to specific camps/villages.

Tearass tends to be anything but. Security will talk to really loud folks more often, but it's usually not an issue in the RV parking area, though I'm not sure how the tent folk fair. It's over the hill a bit from Premier with D9 on the other side, so it's typically much quieter than "standard". There's always at least one jackass, so figure out where they parked... Regardless of weather, it'll likely be quiet (except for jackass).

Gold - you tend to get much more area to yourselves and typically keeps it calm and isolated (until you walk into a venue with 20K people). Great place to be from when post-partying...

Oasis - it's a shared front yard scenario with plenty of space and VIP/lounge tents to hang in if you need more space. There's access to basically every other camp level, but it's a hike or bike ride to get there (the OG campground is on the other side of the venue). If you can afford to sleep here, you can afford to Uber from Premier, bud. Good weather - folks milling about and lounging; bad weather - everyone's in their own tents.

Cave B - don't really know the privacy situation, but we'll start rumors (Dave filmed his House appearance in the underground studio there?)
    #nailedit
    Old 01-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #136
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

I am envisioning district 9/general camping to be the equivalent of Lee's at SPAC. Anyone have experience with both and care to comment?
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #137
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    I am envisioning district 9/general camping to be the equivalent of Lee's at SPAC. Anyone have experience with both and care to comment?
    lee's 2010, walked around d9 in 2014 maybe. they're pretty much the same, just gorge is bigger. gorge is maybe slightly tamed down, but same kind of atmosphere.
    Old 01-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #138
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    email vip.seattle@livenation.com to be put on a waiting list--I was told that they don't anticipate it selling out on the day of it going on sale (same time/date as public on-sale for tickets) but it doesn't hurt to be put on the list.
    I put a request through their website yesterday. Really hoping to snag one of these.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kev87lads View Post
    Go Kings Go.
    dmbetc is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2018, 03:25 PM   #139
    TommydCat

My Tour Central Stats

Oasis sent me an email a couple hours after I asked my wife to inquire - those that did Oasis in 2016/2017 get dibs on 2018.
    (This is the loyalty program mentioned in a prior post.. looks like they're acting on it!)
    Old 01-17-2018, 04:58 PM   #140
    laverwater

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Our crew of about 20 will be in genpop per usual. The jam sessions with other random campers and the general shenanigans that take place in d9 are the most fun part of the Gorge for me.

Tip for folks that go General: Park your car, set up chairs, make a drink, and watch them fill in the area around you. Once they get another row filled up, if you don't like your spot (i.e. too tight, parked next to DJs, back of the circle, etc.), just move your car to another spot and set up there. You have to be a little careful not to let staff see you, as they won't be happy, and may make you move back.

A couple Gorges ago we found ourselves with DJs on both sides of us. We couldn't even talk to each other, and hearing two different types of music simultaneously on full blast was a headache. The next morning, we convinced our whole crew to move our stuff over to the next slice of the circle. Ended up with tons of space, great neighbors, and no DJs bumping all night right next to our tents. Took some work to move but ended up being one of my favorite years.
    laverwater is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2018, 06:17 PM   #141
    MidwestGirl
    Chicago ----> Michigan

Shows Seen: 143

DMB Hub Stubs: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    WOOOOO HOOOO

Also I felt like the thread needed a new name this year, but I was not in a creative place when I created it.

So, Mr. Mod, once we have a drunk late night chat I'm sure we will come up with a new name and you can use your mod powers to change it

D+T Mexico 2023 | Texas | Charleston | Pine Knob | Chicago | Gorge

D+T Mexico FB Group
    GORGE FAQ
    GORGE Roster
    MidwestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2018, 06:23 PM   #142
    MidwestGirl
    Chicago ----> Michigan

Shows Seen: 143

DMB Hub Stubs: 33

My Tour Central Stats

I personally found the party scene at the last two gorge outings into D9 a bit weak (2015 and 2016) but it was COLD!!!!!

The cold definitely put a damper on the post show party as everyone was huddling to keep warm and just wanted to sleep to escape the cold.

There are some decent isolated parties in premier, especially Camp Awesome and Russ' Camp. Our shanty town in 2016 wasn't half bad either and certainly got a little weird.

D+T Mexico 2023 | Texas | Charleston | Pine Knob | Chicago | Gorge

D+T Mexico FB Group
    GORGE FAQ
    GORGE Roster
    MidwestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2018, 06:38 PM   #143
    flames_theman

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I personally found the party scene at the last two gorge outings into D9 a bit weak (2015 and 2016) but it was COLD!!!!!

The cold definitely put a damper on the post show party as everyone was huddling to keep warm and just wanted to sleep to escape the cold.

There are some decent isolated parties in premier, especially Camp Awesome and Russ' Camp. Our shanty town in 2016 wasn't half bad either and certainly got a little weird.
    Shanty town......love it!!

#NAFDA Camp Absolutely!!
    flames_theman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2018, 07:20 PM   #144
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    WOOOOO HOOOO

Also I felt like the thread needed a new name this year, but I was not in a creative place when I created it.

So, Mr. Mod, once we have a drunk late night chat I'm sure we will come up with a new name and you can use your mod powers to change it
    you got it. won't be for a while, working 5 or 6 12 hour shifts coming up here :zzzzz

But I'm in for a new name.
    Old 01-17-2018, 07:22 PM   #145
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

So my friend Andy put in a WH request for premier, mars is staying at Wildhorse, and now my friend Matt is leaning toward an RV in Premier. Where ever do I sleep?

We all know it'll be wherever I end up, but what do I plan on?
    Old 01-17-2018, 07:26 PM   #146
    madpiker

My Tour Central Stats

do premier, bud.
    Old 01-17-2018, 07:28 PM   #147
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    do premier, bud.
    You know I will.
    Old 01-18-2018, 07:06 AM   #148
    flames_theman

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Morning Gorge.....is it August yet?

#NAFDA Camp Absolutely!!
    flames_theman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2018, 07:06 AM   #149
    beatmichigan100

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Was on Wildhorse right at 10...couldn't get through for a couple minutes then sold out. Unreal.
    beatmichigan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2018, 07:12 AM   #150
    jordanbball17
    Black lives matter

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beatmichigan100 View Post
    Was on Wildhorse right at 10...couldn't get through for a couple minutes then sold out. Unreal.
    It wasn't sold out, it just wasn't functioning yet