***Official Bend 2018 Thread*** - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 08-05-2018, 12:20 PM   #31
mattnreb

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Bend 2018 Thread***

I have a premium package to this show if anyone is interested. Back surgery has prevented my trip!
mattnreb is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #32
    ldanddp21

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Looks like Brandi Carlile will be in Bend a few days before DMB.....hopefully she’ll stick around to guest on a song or two.
    ldanddp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-06-2018, 07:40 AM   #33
    Madnana
    Smoke the Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

That'd be awesome if Bend, OR gets the only Spoon of the tour! And they're probably going to play Come Tomorrow either way, so I guess it'd be cool if BC sang on both of those.
    Madnana is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #34
    Matt83
    #11 (The Quirk)

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Matt83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2018, 10:08 AM   #35
    EhwinNichole
    From Portland with Love

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

18 days!!! Any updates on plans for those of you going for a couple of days? I'm heading in from Portland on Monday, hopefully floating on Tuesday pre-concert (but in all likelihood I'll just be day drinking all day instead) and then the concert before sleeping fast and heading back to Portland to get the RV ready for The Gorge. Can. Not. Wait.
    EhwinNichole is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2018, 12:16 AM   #36
    fliptcb2

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

How early are people typically lining up to get decent spots? Is warehouse let in earlier?
    fliptcb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2018, 06:15 PM   #37
    Sunianna

My Tour Central Stats

Showing some love to this thread.

Second Bend show, was there in 2014. Suuuper chill, laid back venue. Even though it sold out that year too,venue only filled about half...so much room to spread out in the back. Coming from Vancouver, WA and excited to stay in walking distance this year at the McMennamins. ��

Going solo and going to spend the day after taking in some nature. Really looking forward to it!
    I went solo to Berkeley in 2016 and it’s probably my new favorite way to see a show. You can literally wander wherever.

Enjoy all!
    Old 08-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #38
    Matt83
    #11 (The Quirk)

My Tour Central Stats

Hello!
    Matt83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #39
    Sunianna

My Tour Central Stats

The air quality being so bad b/c of the fires is a bummer.
    Old 08-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #40
    DMBMegg41

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

first time for me in Bend.Wondering how early i should be there to get in line so i can be up close? any thoughts would be appreciated.
    DMBMegg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2018, 10:14 PM   #41
    ldanddp21

My Tour Central Stats

Last time it seemed like you could get pretty close up spot right before showtime. Being midweek, with people still getting off work should make it easier to get a good spot without having to wait all day for it.
    ldanddp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-26-2018, 08:01 AM   #42
    Madnana
    Smoke the Dreaming Tree

My Tour Central Stats

Alright, time to get excited!! The DMB crew is on their way to Bend!!

Would love either Time of the Season or Superstition! Wouldn't mind Virginia in the Rain or Black & Bluebird either, but that's not gonna happen! Weird that we're more likely to get a couple of cover songs they've only played a handful of times than 2 songs on their newest album, but whatever.

Hope the rumor about Brandi turns out to be true. She might actually make Come Tomorrow tolerable!
    Old 08-26-2018, 09:40 AM   #43
    jordanbball17
    Black lives matter

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I really hope Brandi makes an appearance, that would be amazing!! Would lining up mid afternoon get us a good spot in GA? What time do gates open? I can’t wait! First time in Bend, excited to hit up breweries!
    Old 08-26-2018, 10:27 AM   #44
    FlaFan09

Shows Seen: 51

My Tour Central Stats

Sitting at the Atlanta airport, realizing my tickets are still in Jacksonville.
    Damn. Just Damn.
    FlaFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-27-2018, 04:49 PM   #45
    Doofie27
    Is a filthy Poser

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlaFan09 View Post
    Sitting at the Atlanta airport, realizing my tickets are still in Jacksonville.
    Damn. Just Damn.
    if they're WH tickets, they usually can WC them for you! If that helps....
    Old 08-27-2018, 08:00 PM   #46
    DMBend

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone know around when the band comes on tomorrow? 10 pm noise ordinance in Bend so guessing 6:30 to 7
    DMBend is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2018, 02:02 AM   #47
    imnothingman

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Any tapers down for tonight? It's been really few and far between tapes from the second half of this tour unfortunately...
    Old 08-28-2018, 03:57 AM   #48
    Madnana
    Smoke the Dreaming Tree

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBend View Post
    Anyone know around when the band comes on tomorrow? 10 pm noise ordinance in Bend so guessing 6:30 to 7
    Ticket says 7:00, which actually makes sense now. I thought it meant doors at 7 and that the band would start at their usual time (8:15-ish) and play until 11pm. Didn't know about the 10pm curfew, so now it adds up.

According to the venue, doors open at 5pm, show starts at 7pm: https://www.bendconcerts.com/event-detail/DMB2018
    Old 08-28-2018, 03:51 PM   #49
    LuckySeven

Shows Seen: 60

My Tour Central Stats

Two tickets available for Bend $100/each. Here in Bend.

5038809917 - call/text

Last edited by LuckySeven; 08-28-2018 at 03:53 PM.
    LuckySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2018, 04:02 PM   #50
    LuckySeven

Shows Seen: 60

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Two tickets available for Bend $100/each. Here in Bend.<br>
    <br>
    5038809917 - call/text
    These are sold!
    Have fun out there tonight!!
    LuckySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #51
    FlaFan09

Shows Seen: 51

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doofie27 View Post
    if they're WH tickets, they usually can WC them for you! If that helps....
    WH was very helpful.
    Had some friends overnight the tickets and all is good.
    FlaFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-29-2018, 12:19 AM   #52
    imnothingman

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

So, any tapers spotted last night? I saw that John Koch taped it the last time around. He always deliver amazing sounding tapes, top of the crop!
    Old 08-29-2018, 05:59 AM   #53
    Madnana
    Smoke the Dreaming Tree

My Tour Central Stats

Good show. Not great. Highlights were #41 (for the 41st show of the tour), TOTS & WWYS. Overall, it seemed like the band really did not want to be in Somewhere, Oregon... definitely felt like they were treading water until the Gorge.

Venue: Les Schwab Amphitheater in Bend, OR. Get your tires at Les Schwab. Free beef! It was weird seeing DMB in such a small venue. They couldn't even get the video screens in! Luckily, I was in the pit so I could see the band pretty well. Feel bad for the people farther back on the lawn though.

That Girl Is You - I'm trying so hard to like this song, but it is just not a good opener.
    One Sweet World - Pretty standard version. Band already looks a little bored.
    #41 - This is really where the show got started! Only real "jam" of the night, but it was a good one. Love the outro they do on this.
    Again and Again - Dave told his usual story about how Tim plays both the guitar parts. Always weird seeing Dave without a guitar, especially when he can barely sing the song. A shame, considering it's like the best song on the album.
    Louisiana Bayou - bleh. I've heard it plenty of times already.
    Satellite - meh. I've heard it plenty of times already.
    Samurai Cop (Oh Joy Begin) - pretty standard
    Time of the Season - Only the 14th time ever played by DMB! It is by far the rarest song played that night. And it was smoking! Buddy Stong, need I say more?
    Warehouse - Great follow up--keeping that energy up!
    Tripping Billies - This was the only song that I actually kinda missed Boyd. Still had great energy, but it's just not the same anymore.
    Come On Come On - Whoa! Slam on the breaks! The show came to a screeching halt with this one.
    Don't Drink the Water - As usual, the prelude was the best part. But at least it got the crowd dancing again--at least those who weren't still stuck in the beer/restroom lines.
    Lover Lay Down - It's funny how when Rashawn leaves the stage, Jeff is allowed to solo. Beautiful soprano sax--absolutely gorgeous! Unfortunately, it was poorly placed late in the set. I had a hard time keeping my eyes open, and I think most of the crowd managed to squeeze in a short little nap.
    What Would You Say - Fantastic! And, in all fairness, Jeff was allowed to solo this time even though Rashawn was on stage.
    She - Hands down the best performance from the new album. It actually sounds better live than it does on the album--like most DMB classics!
    Why I Am - During this song, someone in the front row unfurled a quilt/blanket that appeared to be a hand-stitched re-creation of the Big Whiskey album cover with LeRoi's face. After the song was over, Dave brought it up on stage and showed it to the crowd. It was a sweet moment. Forever dancing with the GrooGrux King!
    Everyday - Drunken crowd immediately starts drunk singing #36, so I couldn't really hear much of Buddy's intro. Another song that's not quite the same without Boyd, but it still works just fine.
    » Ants Marching - Definitely a segue. Carter launched right into the solo with a gusto that said "I can't wait to get the hell out of here!" Lol. Still a great song, even without Fuckface McDirtysocks. Although I think Buddy missed one of his cues on the round robin jam.
    -ENCORE BREAK- As they were getting ready to leave the stage, Dave wanted to sign the Grux quilt and nearly collided with Carter giving out sticks. The end result was a full on man-hug center stage!
    The Space Between - We knew we'd be getting a short encore due to the 10pm curfew. Band came back out at 9:49, Dave with an acoustic guitar in hand. Was pleasantly surprised to hear Space Between, as I assumed they would play Come Tomorrow. It was awesome to hear the band kick back in after the first chorus like they used to do. Aside from the acoustic guitar, this performance felt straight out of 2002.
    Pantala Naga Pampa » Rapunzel - With a brief, quiet guitar prelude. Can't really complain about this, even though I've heard this song so many times. Always a great closer.
    Old 08-29-2018, 07:02 AM   #54
    Bmwm3oz

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks Madnana for the review. Bummed to see but kinda expected what you described.

Come on Come on is such a energy killer. This song will hopefully be pulled for good after '18.
    Bmwm3oz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-29-2018, 08:04 AM   #55
    Sunianna

My Tour Central Stats

Kinda feel like we were at different shows, but I definitely can’t drum up anything this thoughtful, so will let it go haha.

Glad you made it! Did you get priority entry or did you just come early enough to get a front spot? I wandered up to the front for a bit which is something you can only do in a venue like this!

The older I get, the more I really like these random venue midweek shows. Can’t wait to spend some time in nature today.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Madnana View Post
    Good show. Not great. Highlights were #41 (for the 41st show of the tour), TOTS & WWYS. Overall, it seemed like the band really did not want to be in Somewhere, Oregon... definitely felt like they were treading water until the Gorge.

Venue: Les Schwab Amphitheater in Bend, OR. Get your tires at Les Schwab. Free beef! It was weird seeing DMB in such a small venue. They couldn't even get the video screens in! Luckily, I was in the pit so I could see the band pretty well. Feel bad for the people farther back on the lawn though.

That Girl Is You - I'm trying so hard to like this song, but it is just not a good opener.
    One Sweet World - Pretty standard version. Band already looks a little bored.
    #41 - This is really where the show got started! Only real "jam" of the night, but it was a good one. Love the outro they do on this.
    Again and Again - Dave told his usual story about how Tim plays both the guitar parts. Always weird seeing Dave without a guitar, especially when he can barely sing the song. A shame, considering it's like the best song on the album.
    Louisiana Bayou - bleh. I've heard it plenty of times already.
    Satellite - meh. I've heard it plenty of times already.
    Samurai Cop (Oh Joy Begin) - pretty standard
    Time of the Season - Only the 14th time ever played by DMB! It is by far the rarest song played that night. And it was smoking! Buddy Stong, need I say more?
    Warehouse - Great follow up--keeping that energy up!
    Tripping Billies - This was the only song that I actually kinda missed Boyd. Still had great energy, but it's just not the same anymore.
    Come On Come On - Whoa! Slam on the breaks! The show came to a screeching halt with this one.
    Don't Drink the Water - As usual, the prelude was the best part. But at least it got the crowd dancing again--at least those who weren't still stuck in the beer/restroom lines.
    Lover Lay Down - It's funny how when Rashawn leaves the stage, Jeff is allowed to solo. Beautiful soprano sax--absolutely gorgeous! Unfortunately, it was poorly placed late in the set. I had a hard time keeping my eyes open, and I think most of the crowd managed to squeeze in a short little nap.
    What Would You Say - Fantastic! And, in all fairness, Jeff was allowed to solo this time even though Rashawn was on stage.
    She - Hands down the best performance from the new album. It actually sounds better live than it does on the album--like most DMB classics!
    Why I Am - During this song, someone in the front row unfurled a quilt/blanket that appeared to be a hand-stitched re-creation of the Big Whiskey album cover with LeRoi's face. After the song was over, Dave brought it up on stage and showed it to the crowd. It was a sweet moment. Forever dancing with the GrooGrux King!
    Everyday - Drunken crowd immediately starts drunk singing #36, so I couldn't really hear much of Buddy's intro. Another song that's not quite the same without Boyd, but it still works just fine.
    » Ants Marching - Definitely a segue. Carter launched right into the solo with a gusto that said "I can't wait to get the hell out of here!" Lol. Still a great song, even without Fuckface McDirtysocks. Although I think Buddy missed one of his cues on the round robin jam.
    -ENCORE BREAK- As they were getting ready to leave the stage, Dave wanted to sign the Grux quilt and nearly collided with Carter giving out sticks. The end result was a full on man-hug center stage!
    The Space Between - We knew we'd be getting a short encore due to the 10pm curfew. Band came back out at 9:49, Dave with an acoustic guitar in hand. Was pleasantly surprised to hear Space Between, as I assumed they would play Come Tomorrow. It was awesome to hear the band kick back in after the first chorus like they used to do. Aside from the acoustic guitar, this performance felt straight out of 2002.
    Pantala Naga Pampa » Rapunzel - With a brief, quiet guitar prelude. Can't really complain about this, even though I've heard this song so many times. Always a great closer.
    Old 08-29-2018, 08:36 AM   #56
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sunianna View Post
    Kinda feel like we were at different shows, but I definitely can’t drum up anything this thoughtful, so will let it go haha.

Glad you made it! Did you get priority entry or did you just come early enough to get a front spot? I wandered up to the front for a bit which is something you can only do in a venue like this!

The older I get, the more I really like these random venue midweek shows. Can’t wait to spend some time in nature today.
    Would you mind writing your take? Always interesting to hear another perspective.
    Old 08-29-2018, 09:04 AM   #57
    Sunianna

My Tour Central Stats

I can’t do a song by song play...

I’ve been seeing shows since ‘99, but typically I only go to 1 per tour, so each experience feels pretty special. I feel fortunate that my favorite band, whose music holds a ton of meaning for me personally, is still putting out great new music, still touring, and I have the opportunity to go.

Did Dave’s voice crack a few times? Sure. Was is a GREAT show, nah. But I saw a band that cares deeply about each other, their fans, and what they do on stage.

I love the sound from the keys. I didn’t really miss Boyd (haven’t really heard him the past several shows anyway). Setlist-wise, I thought the mix of new and old was really good (there were two energy-killing moments, but I can’t imagine solving for that...sometimes you have to just bring it down, these guys aren’t 20, or even 30 any more...), and I got to hear One Sweet World which is probably top 5 for me.

Last edited by Sunianna; 08-29-2018 at 09:04 AM. Reason: dave
    Sunianna is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-29-2018, 09:18 AM   #58
    Sunianna

My Tour Central Stats

Also, yes the venue is small. Which if you’re near the back had it’s drawbacks. But you also have a lot of room and can wander around, and if you’re just solo or with one person, that means you can get up close if you want to. That’s appealing to me.

Honestly the biggest complaint I have was not being able to find fresh air. I mean, it’s outside ffs. I don’t mind a little weed smoke, but the cigs and the food and booze and....bodies...there was no escape. ��
    Old 08-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #59
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I can’t do a song by song play...

I’ve been seeing shows since ‘99, but typically I only go to 1 per tour, so each experience feels pretty special. I feel fortunate that my favorite band, whose music holds a ton of meaning for me personally, is still putting out great new music, still touring, and I have the opportunity to go.

Did Dave’s voice crack a few times? Sure. Was is a GREAT show, nah. But I saw a band that cares deeply about each other, their fans, and what they do on stage.

I love the sound from the keys. I didn’t really miss Boyd (haven’t really heard him the past several shows anyway). Setlist-wise, I thought the mix of new and old was really good (there were two energy-killing moments, but I can’t imagine solving for that...sometimes you have to just bring it down, these guys aren’t 20, or even 30 any more (something I find hard to deal with!) ...), and I got to hear One Sweet World which is probably top 5 for me. (one of my favs as well)
    Quote:
    Also, yes the venue is small. Which if you’re near the back had it’s drawbacks. But you also have a lot of room and can wander around, and if you’re just solo or with one person, that means you can get up close if you want to. That’s appealing to me.

Honestly the biggest complaint I have was not being able to find fresh air. I mean, it’s outside ffs. I don’t mind a little weed smoke, but the cigs and the food and booze and....bodies...there was no escape. �� (I hated this about being PIT in Chicago earlier this year.. not sure why they allow ciggs in the PIT, or anywhere in the venue except smoking booths. Have you seen those giant glass rooms at airports where all the smokers stand? They should add those to venues...

Thanks for your take! My comments in red.
    Old 08-29-2018, 11:23 AM   #60
    DMBend

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Well my user name will give this review away somewhat. So awesome to have DMB rolling into our town. Still pinch myself that they have played in Bend twice.

Have been pretty spoiled in my Dave viewing life as I did Annual gorge runs late 90’s to mid 2000’s. Traveled in 05 and 06 for some a couple big name stops.

This was my first show of this tour and the first one since the band was here in 2014.

Thought it was a great mix of old and new. I mean, I prefer the old like everyone I’m sure but it’s a new album tour.

The Band may not be the live powerhouse it was 15 years ago but they are still a damn amazing group of musicians and it’s a pleasure to see them do their thing.

I thought Dave sounded great and IMO I thought he still had a ton of energy and was having a good time up there.

Just grateful to see Dave and Carter and Stefan play together still.
    DMBend is offline   Reply With Quote