News on DMB's new album? - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 04-18-2016, 02:38 PM   #31
Carson31

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Re: News on DMB's new album?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
They had enough material for a quadruple album, but they have scrapped last year's new tunes and are whittling down material for a triple album. Working title right now is An' Another Thing.

You may expect to hear the studio versions of Virginia, etc., in 2037 with the 20th anniversary expanded release.
That was the very early working title for a Dave Matthews Band album. Do you know which one?

Free tacos to whomever knows the answer and bonus points to whomever knows why that was the early title.
Carson31 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-18-2016, 02:44 PM   #32
    TwoStep2888
    Freak Time

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

the new album that is definitely happening will definitely be great
    Old 04-18-2016, 03:12 PM   #33
    pbrk11
    Patricio Del Torro

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TwoStep2888 View Post
    the new album that is definitely happening will definitely be great
    now you're speaking my language! thanks for the positive outlook my friend
    pbrk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2016, 04:37 PM   #34
    BigEyedIdiot

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

You have four amazing albums with Lillywhite and then they dump him. It was said that Lillywhite couldn't inspire them and the Lillywhite Sessions were depressing. Then we get Ballard for one album, it sucks, and they dump him. Then we get Harris for one album, it was tolerable, but not anywhere near the Lillywhite Sessions, and they dump him. Then we get '04 where they are going to produce the album on their own and nothing comes of it. Then we get Batson, it sucks, they go back for a second, quit, and then dump him. Then we get Cavallo, one album, and they dump him. Then they go back to Lillywhite, and cannot recreate what they have, and dump him. At some point the band has to accept that it is them, not the producers. I personally have zero confidence in an album coming out, and I'm assuming if it does it will be another half assed album. Lillywhite told me that when they came in for Away From The World, the plan was to make that album all the live tracks they had not recorded yet. Dave is so out of touch with his fanbase that he allowed Batson to produce Shotgun and Steve never even got to touch it. SMH.
    BigEyedIdiot is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2016, 04:53 PM   #35
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Let Rick Rubin do it.
    Old 04-18-2016, 04:57 PM   #36
    wlperie

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigEyedIdiot View Post
    You have four amazing albums with Lillywhite and then they dump him. It was said that Lillywhite couldn't inspire them and the Lillywhite Sessions were depressing. Then we get Ballard for one album, it sucks, and they dump him. Then we get Harris for one album, it was tolerable, but not anywhere near the Lillywhite Sessions, and they dump him. Then we get '04 where they are going to produce the album on their own and nothing comes of it. Then we get Batson, it sucks, they go back for a second, quit, and then dump him. Then we get Cavallo, one album, and they dump him. Then they go back to Lillywhite, and cannot recreate what they have, and dump him. At some point the band has to accept that it is them, not the producers. I personally have zero confidence in an album coming out, and I'm assuming if it does it will be another half assed album. Lillywhite told me that when they came in for Away From The World, the plan was to make that album all the live tracks they had not recorded yet. Dave is so out of touch with his fanbase that he allowed Batson to produce Shotgun and Steve never even got to touch it. SMH.
    I think Dave has been well aware of this for years

"Dave Matthews on Summer Tour: 'We're Trying Not to Suck'"
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...-suck-20150522

"I'm just trying to suck blood from a stone."
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz46E3c4d00
    wlperie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2016, 05:05 PM   #37
    Mateo2k

Shows Seen: 91

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Everyday was a really good album. Doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Stand Up could have been really good but suffered from the wrong producer for that album.

Big Whiskey was great and if they didn't Play it so heavily for 3 years at shows, it'd be more appreciated here.

AFTW was forced. Just felt too forced and based on how little the songs got played I think it didn't connect with the band either. They tried to do what they thought fans wanted. It didn't work.

They have a lot of good material and still have a great album or two in them. Cavallo would be good for a Big Whiskey follow up

But frankly albums are no where near as important as they were. Especially for a band like DMB that can get live versions of new material out to fans.

I desperately want a studio Break For It.
    Mateo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2016, 05:14 PM   #38
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

I have 0 interest in a new album. It will not be good.

I guess I'd still buy it though.

Way more interested in new, quality songs played live. This band is a crap studio band for the last 15 years.
    Old 04-18-2016, 05:18 PM   #39
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    Let Rick Rubin do it.
    He hasn't been able to hear in over 15 years.

Let T-Bone Burnett or Daniel Lanois do it.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2016, 05:20 PM   #40
    Mateo2k

Shows Seen: 91

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
    I have 0 interest in a new album. It will not be good.

I guess I'd still buy it though.

Way more interested in new, quality songs played live. This band is a crap studio band for the last 15 years.
    Big Whiskey was good.
    Mateo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2016, 05:22 PM   #41
    DooDoo Bird

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pbrk11 View Post
    I remember reading that and thinking the same thing, it's borderline insulting to a fan like myself that supports new music and studio recordings from this band, I have met many people that just want to hear Billies and Ants every single summer for the rest of the band's existence, with a few live shows from 23.5 years ago released quarterly....I don't know it's just frustrating they're some pretty seasoned musicians on the most professional level which should be an honor to make a piece of art in a room with mics that 65% of the public could never afford to look at, and Stefan literally tweets the album is 90 PERCENT done, Jeff says there WILL be a new DMB album in 2016.... and I gotta listen to Dave practically make a joke out of the idea of releasing new material .....it's frustrating, I want to hear this thing for whatever it is

Relax.... I too wish Dave didn’t have such a shitty attitude sometimes when it came to new music and setlist but he is merely saying that from the perspective of a traditional record release being dead. Radio sucks too and everything has changed. It used to be a big deal to release an album and in this day and age when people just download everything for free its not the same it used to be.
    DooDoo Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2016, 05:53 PM   #42
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mateo2k View Post
    Big Whiskey was good.
    Eh, Big Whiskey was ok. It wasn't bad, but other than Grux>>SMLAM I can't say I want to go back and listen to much of it.
    Old 04-18-2016, 06:01 PM   #43
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

My Tour Central Stats

I like listening to LITHOG, Dive In and Baby Blue, Carter sounds so great in those tracks.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2016, 06:04 PM   #44
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I really hope this album sees the light of day. I think in the string of "info" we have, Jeff was the last to saything about it and that was the 2016 release bit. But since we havent heard of it by now, I'm pretty pessimistic. HOWEVER my god man you'd think having string orchestrations on three tracks means there was completion in some sense. I really want to hear another Cavallo/McKean/DMB album.
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2016, 06:12 PM   #45
    pbrk11
    Patricio Del Torro

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Stand Up could have been really good but suffered from the wrong producer for that album.

Big Whiskey was great and if they didn't Play it so heavily for 3 years at shows, it'd be more appreciated here.

AFTW was forced. Just felt too forced and based on how little the songs got played I think it didn't connect with the band either. They tried to do what they thought fans wanted. It didn't work.

They have a lot of good material and still have a great album or two in them. Cavallo would be good for a Big Whiskey follow up

But frankly albums are no where near as important as they were. Especially for a band like DMB that can get live versions of new material out to fans.

AWEsome idea, I would really love to hear any form of a studio BFI
    pbrk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2016, 06:21 PM   #46
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I like listening to LITHOG, Dive In and Baby Blue, Carter sounds so great in those tracks.
    This is true. Baby Blue is one of my favorites on the album. Such a small little song.
    Old 04-19-2016, 06:33 AM   #47
    rantingthespian

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by timsherry View Post
    My friend is seeing Jeff tonight at a clinic and said if he has the opportunity, he will ask him about it. He is on Ants so I am sure he will post about it.
    Was he able to ask him about it?
    Old 04-19-2016, 06:50 AM   #48
    flutterby

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post
    "But at some point, we'll have an album that we'll put out for whatever reason people still do that."

If that statement doesn't inspire confidence in new work, I don't know what possibly could...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pbrk11 View Post
    I remember reading that and thinking the same thing, it's borderline insulting to a fan like myself that supports new music and studio recordings from this band, I have met many people that just want to hear Billies and Ants every single summer for the rest of the band's existence, with a few live shows from 23.5 years ago released quarterly....I don't know it's just frustrating they're some pretty seasoned musicians on the most professional level which should be an honor to make a piece of art in a room with mics that 65% of the public could never afford to look at, and Stefan literally tweets the album is 90 PERCENT done, Jeff says there WILL be a new DMB album in 2016.... and I gotta listen to Dave practically make a joke out of the idea of releasing new material .....it's frustrating, I want to hear this thing for whatever it is
    This was so disheartening to see. I could be wrong, but Dave's attitude toward fans is just abysmal. I get the whole detached artist persona, but he continually shuns the people that got him where he is and loves him so much. Then again, maybe he's just beat down from the hate his new material gets. Let's face it, new stuff is NOT well received aside from the "sing the phonebook" crowd. That said, he HAS to know that people are clamoring for an unreleased songs album...GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT!
    Old 04-19-2016, 07:33 AM   #49
    dpduke5173

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The way that Cavallo and Doug his engineer capture Carter's live sound is great and probably my favorite thing about BW and them going back to work with them on the next album.
    Old 04-19-2016, 07:41 AM   #50
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dpduke5173 View Post
    The way that Cavallo and Doug his engineer capture Carter's live sound is great and probably my favorite thing about BW and them going back to work with them on the next album.
    Hell yes. Now only if Cavallo produced records had any semblance of dynamic range...
    Old 04-19-2016, 07:48 AM   #51
    space_raven
    crawling out the mud

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

If DMB released a live album of 8-12 new songs only, I'd get on board with that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb9howell View Post
    No that's my bad. I am completely fucking murdered hammered. I can barley see the screen. I go eat now.
    space_raven is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2016, 03:33 PM   #52
    DreamingStreets

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I would argue that the problem is just Dave, not the whole band. He basically went and wrote two solo albums with Ballard and Batson, but let the rest of the band play on them (somewhat), leading to the records being labeled as DMB records, when in reality, they really aren't. During 2001-2008 we didn't get any true new DMB records. And then, as someone mentioned, now that they've finally gotten back into making records, they're suddenly shelving loads of material because Dave doesn't care for it.

I don't want to speak badly of Dave, but I don't think he's made some of the best choices since he wrote Everyday.
    DreamingStreets is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2016, 05:37 PM   #53
    BigEyedIdiot

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DreamingStreets View Post
    I would argue that the problem is just Dave, not the whole band. He basically went and wrote two solo albums with Ballard and Batson, but let the rest of the band play on them (somewhat), leading to the records being labeled as DMB records, when in reality, they really aren't. During 2001-2008 we didn't get any true new DMB records. And then, as someone mentioned, now that they've finally gotten back into making records, they're suddenly shelving loads of material because Dave doesn't care for it.

I don't want to speak badly of Dave, but I don't think he's made some of the best choices since he wrote Everyday.
    Away From the World was much closer to a Dave written album than Stand Up. Stand Up actually included all the band members in the writing process, its just that Batson can't produce DMB, and the band was so lazy that Roi ended up quitting during those sessions.
    BigEyedIdiot is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2016, 05:47 PM   #54
    Mr. Pineapple

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dpduke5173 View Post
    You got it.
    I blew out my flip-flop. Passed a lil jagged rock./But it's a real beauty, a calcified cutie. How it got here, I haven't a clue. Tailgatin' away again in Pastramiville. Searchin' for my lost bottle of Tums. Some people think that there's the heartburn to blame. But I know. It's all Wegmans fault.
    Mr. Pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2016, 09:50 PM   #55
    #41Tom

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Away From the World was much closer to a Dave written album than Stand Up. Stand Up actually included all the band members in the writing process, its just that Batson can't produce DMB, and the band was so lazy that Roi ended up quitting during those sessions.

?? Where did that come from? pics or it didn't happen (i.e. explain please!)
    And the end of the world."
    #41Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-20-2016, 05:41 AM   #56
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

If you're calling "Stand Up" a solo record similar to Everyday, you don't have a single clue what you're talking about.
    Old 04-20-2016, 06:07 AM   #57
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    If you're calling "Stand Up" a solo record similar to Everyday, you don't have a single clue what you're talking about.
    Yeah, Stand Up was most definitely a band effort. They just tried a new approach at recording the album. They each went and met with Batson individually and came up with their own ideas. Batson just hit record and sometimes found little bits and pieces that they could form a song around. A great example is American Baby. Boyd was in the studio and was plucking his violin and Batson caught a section that would become his line in American Baby. They looped it and Dave wrote the song around it. Everyday was definitely more of a solo record. The band arrived to the studio with written charts to learn and play. But the recording process for Stand Up was pretty well documented as a band effort.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-20-2016, 06:49 AM   #58
    kelchlsm

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

And what about 92- 2000? You do realize that Dave wrote most of those songs on his own right?

http://www.allmusic.com/album/crash-mw0000185460
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-20-2016, 07:02 AM   #59
    jimmything014

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kelchlsm View Post
    And what about 92- 2000? You do realize that Dave wrote most of those songs on his own right?

http://www.allmusic.com/album/crash-mw0000185460
    This is exactly right. The problem is that dave's song writing has changed drastically since working with Ballard and the fact that he is older now and in a different place in his life. Song quality has declined bc of dave not because the band isn't involved enough.
    2019 show: CMAC 6/18
    jimmything014 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-20-2016, 09:22 AM   #60
    bowa36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Stand Up was absolutely not a "Dave solo" type record. Everyone was involved heavily