Solar Eclipse Today - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 08-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #31
cazzie34
Gummy Oatmeal

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Solar Eclipse Today

Madison, WI had about 85% coverage. Meh. It was like a really cloudy day for 30 minutes or so.
cazzie34 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-22-2017, 12:00 PM   #32
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Anyway, my wife had extra vacation she needed to take off, so we decided to make a trip out of it. Got a cabin owned by her aunt and uncle in the north GA mountains which is just inside the path, for Sunday night. Then yesterday morning we drove another 45 minutes to Andrews, NC which was dead on the centerline. Tiny little town that's probably never seen anything like it, so tons of people swarmed there. It was pretty cool, they had the downtown streets (all 4 of em ) closed down for vendor tents and junk, some live music and food and beer in a park area, and people were just camped out wherever. After scouting it all out, we posted up on some chairs in the shade where we could just step out and look up every so often as the partial eclipse was happening.

As it got really close, it started getting real dim, which was so surreal. It wasn't like your usual 7-9pm kinda light. I read an article today that described it best; like a low-light instagram filter got put over the earth. We would look up at the sun through the glasses, then take them off and look around only a few seconds later and it would be noticeably dimmer each time. It started getting cooler, and a lot quieter as vehicles were no longer driving through, and everyone was just kinda paying attention. As it came down to the last sliver of light, you could hear the whole town sort of cheering as it was nearing totality. Then I feel like it just "clicked" into place -- the moon completely covered the sun and there was an amazing halo of light. It was way cooler than we had even anticipated. Everybody was losing their shit. No photo could do it justice, and I just wanted to get a photo of the whole scene, the evening looking sky with sunset-like light all around. But I wish I hadn't even bothered. It felt like it was over in 30 seconds, even though where we were it was supposedly over 2 and a half minutes. Pretty much as soon as totality was over, we packed it up; after that it was just the same thing as before in reverse. And traffic out of there got bad quick.

We thought it would be cool, and just an excuse to take a trip and a day off work, and not really sure if it would all be worth it for that 2 minutes, but in the end it was so worth it and way better than expected. I may consider making a trip for the next one in 2024. Sounded like friends who stayed down around Atlanta didn't get the full effect, so the eclipse was neat but nothing too exciting. I haven't heard anyone who was actually in the path say that it was just okay.

Last edited by GSUdawg521; 08-22-2017 at 12:01 PM.
    GSUdawg521 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2017, 12:12 PM   #33
    dklein
    DMBfan in TN

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GSUdawg521 View Post
    Anyway, my wife had extra vacation she needed to take off, so we decided to make a trip out of it. Got a cabin owned by her aunt and uncle in the north GA mountains which is just inside the path, for Sunday night. Then yesterday morning we drove another 45 minutes to Andrews, NC which was dead on the centerline. Tiny little town that's probably never seen anything like it, so tons of people swarmed there. It was pretty cool, they had the downtown streets (all 4 of em ) closed down for vendor tents and junk, some live music and food and beer in a park area, and people were just camped out wherever. After scouting it all out, we posted up on some chairs in the shade where we could just step out and look up every so often as the partial eclipse was happening.

As it got really close, it started getting real dim, which was so surreal. It wasn't like your usual 7-9pm kinda light. I read an article today that described it best; like a low-light instagram filter got put over the earth. We would look up at the sun through the glasses, then take them off and look around only a few seconds later and it would be noticeably dimmer each time. It started getting cooler, and a lot quieter as vehicles were no longer driving through, and everyone was just kinda paying attention. As it came down to the last sliver of light, you could hear the whole town sort of cheering as it was nearing totality. Then I feel like it just "clicked" into place -- the moon completely covered the sun and there was an amazing halo of light. It was way cooler than we had even anticipated. Everybody was losing their shit. No photo could do it justice, and I just wanted to get a photo of the whole scene, the evening looking sky with sunset-like light all around. But I wish I hadn't even bothered. It felt like it was over in 30 seconds, even though where we were it was supposedly over 2 and a half minutes. Pretty much as soon as totality was over, we packed it up; after that it was just the same thing as before in reverse. And traffic out of there got bad quick.

We thought it would be cool, and just an excuse to take a trip and a day off work, and not really sure if it would all be worth it for that 2 minutes, but in the end it was so worth it and way better than expected. I may consider making a trip for the next one in 2024. Sounded like friends who stayed down around Atlanta didn't get the full effect, so the eclipse was neat but nothing too exciting. I haven't heard anyone who was actually in the path say that it was just okay.
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Everyone cheered where I was in Alcoa,Tennessee, in the direct path of totality, and that light was definitely awesome when the moon covered the sun. It was cool seizing the last sliver of sun disappear and then taking off the glasses. A lot of those smaller towns probably will never see that many people again. My wife took some pics of the sidewalk where crescent shadows appeared as the sun was shining through the trees.

I totally want to go to Argentina and Chile for the 2019 eclipse. Reading that it will be 4.5 minutes of totality. And totally planning to travel for the next American one in 2024. I've become an eclipse chaser now. That was totally awesome yesterday!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    dklein is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2017, 03:32 PM   #34
    ryanfitz
    F U BYU! CSU sucks also

Shows Seen: 95

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

It was incredible during totality. Anything less than 100% totality would be neat, but pretty underwhelming. Totality was completely surreal and sort of indescribable. When people say that pictures do it no justice, that's absolutely true. I would honestly travel to see another one.
    "Laramie, Wyoming is one of the Top 5 hardest places to play. They have a hatred for BYU that's unrivaled, even by Utah standards! It was tougher to play in Laramie than against the Eagles in Philly. I felt safer in Philly than I did in Laramie." - Steve Young, on why BYU decided to go Independent in football

Welcome to Dunk Town, USA
    Congrats, Larry Nance!
    ryanfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2017, 05:06 PM   #35
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Had 71% here in Rochester, it was whatever. Waiting for 2024 where we'll have 100% totality in April of that year.
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2017, 05:15 PM   #36
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryanfitz View Post
    It was incredible during totality. Anything less than 100% totality would be neat, but pretty underwhelming. Totality was completely surreal and sort of indescribable. When people say that pictures do it no justice, that's absolutely true. I would honestly travel to see another one.
    First CSU is awesome

Secondly, wish I could have made the trip up north but work wouldn't allow it so I settled for the 95% or whatever it was. I still thought it was cool but would like to see the real thing one day.
    Old 08-22-2017, 05:18 PM   #37
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmkratt View Post
    First CSU is awesome

Secondly, wish I could have made the trip up north but work wouldn't allow it so I settled for the 95% or whatever it was. I still thought it was cool but would like to see the real thing one day.
    Come to Cincy in 2024...probably 20 min drive from my house to totality. We can empty my beer cellar!
    MDPrompter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2017, 05:25 PM   #38
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

My Tour Central Stats

Up until about 9 months ago I was working Ohio (Marietta) but not so much anymore. We'll see if that changes in the next 7 years Good call
    Old 08-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #39
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    Had 71% here in Rochester, it was whatever. Waiting for 2024 where we'll have 100% totality in April of that year.
    It'll be cloudy. Maybe some snow too!

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2017, 05:36 PM   #40
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Absolutely not outside the realm of possibility for April in Rochester.
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2017, 05:46 PM   #41
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    Absolutely not outside the realm of possibility for April in Rochester.
    I still remember playing a little league baseball game on mother's day that it snowed in Fairport. Early April snow is an expectation, May snow is a possibility

Gotta love WNY and the great lakes

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2017, 05:54 PM   #42
    ryanfitz
    F U BYU! CSU sucks also

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    First CSU is awesome

There were reports today that over 1 million people visited Wyoming yesterday. I feel bad for the people that were stuck in traffic and didn't make it to the totality area. I was also surprised that nobody tried taking back roads to/from the eclipse. I got from north of Guernsey to Ft. Collins in 3 hours by taking dirt roads instead of I-25. I bet people spent 6+ hours traveling the same distance by highway. I heard it was a 13 hour drive from Casper to Ft. Collins.

Also, I said it sucks to be a CSU ram
    "Laramie, Wyoming is one of the Top 5 hardest places to play. They have a hatred for BYU that's unrivaled, even by Utah standards! It was tougher to play in Laramie than against the Eagles in Philly. I felt safer in Philly than I did in Laramie." - Steve Young, on why BYU decided to go Independent in football

Congrats, Larry Nance!
    Old 08-22-2017, 06:11 PM   #43
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I feel bad for pretty much the entire midwest trying to see the eclipse in 2024. What are the odds it won't be overcast?
    mthawk07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2017, 06:14 PM   #44
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryanfitz View Post
    There were reports today that over 1 million people visited Wyoming yesterday. I feel bad for the people that were stuck in traffic and didn't make it to the totality area. I was also surprised that nobody tried taking back roads to/from the eclipse. I got from north of Guernsey to Ft. Collins in 3 hours by taking dirt roads instead of I-25. I bet people spent 6+ hours traveling the same distance by highway. I heard it was a 13 hour drive from Casper to Ft. Collins.

Also, I said it sucks to be a CSU ram
    I said I'm proud to be a CSU Ram

It's been a long time man, hope you're well.

Yeah, good call. I have no idea why everyone thought I-25 was the best way to go. I would have taken county roads up through/near the Pawnee personally. Sounds like you did something similar 13 hours between the Fort and Casper!? Cripes!
    Old 08-22-2017, 07:19 PM   #45
    ryanfitz
    F U BYU! CSU sucks also

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I said I'm proud to be a CSU Ram

It's been a long time man, hope you're well.

Yeah, good call. I have no idea why everyone thought I-25 was the best way to go. I would have taken county roads up through/near the Pawnee personally. Sounds like you did something similar 13 hours between the Fort and Casper!? Cripes!

Likewise!

I actually took county roads all the way to Rawhide, I25 to the Wyoming border, then back/gravel roads the rest of the way. Did the same thing in reverse coming home. After the initial backup leaving Guernsey, I barely saw a car the whole way until I got stopped for a while by some farm equipment behind the Budweiser brewery

Congrats, Larry Nance!
    Old 08-22-2017, 07:25 PM   #46
    jcc522
    Take Warning

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GSUdawg521 View Post

You didn't go in the tents or hear any activity from them did you? Did you get a beer from Hoppy Trout?

I went to Andrews on Sunday for food but watched it 20 minutes away in the water of Nantahala Lake. It was fucking great. Life jacket on, bobbing in the lake with a cold beer. I stayed at the lake last night so I didn't have to fight any traffic.

I feel bad for people that weren't in the totality path. So many people I talked to before with the attitude of 95% will be good enough just have no idea how awesome it was.
    Old 08-22-2017, 07:34 PM   #47
    ryanfitz
    F U BYU! CSU sucks also

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcc522 View Post

I feel bad for people that weren't in the totality path. So many people I talked to before with the attitude of 95% will be good enough just have no idea how awesome it was.

Truer words have never been spoken. 98% was daylight. 100% was night.

Congrats, Larry Nance!